color
clarity

A New Prince For The United Kingdom

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
She looks incredible, agreed.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I had my youngest 30 years ago in US. He was born Wednesday 9 AM and I went home late Thursday. Had a BBQ for Memorial Day on Monday and was wearing pre-pregnancy shorts( albeit elastic waist).
I do think that in US they should provide at home nurse visits. And there should be emphasis on Mom having at home help, which is a family/social issue. I had none-their Dad took zero time off work and it was hard caring for newborn and 12 month old on my own less than 48 hours after birth.
What is standard hospital stay now with insurance in US?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my youngest 30 years ago in US. He was born Wednesday 9 AM and I went home late Thursday. Had a BBQ for Memorial Day on Monday and was wearing pre-pregnancy shorts( albeit elastic waist).
I do think that in US they should provide at home nurse visits. And there should be emphasis on Mom having at home help, which is a family/social issue. I had none-their Dad took zero time off work and it was hard caring for newborn and 12 month old on my own less than 48 hours after birth.
What is standard hospital stay now with insurance in US?
It depends on the insurance company. Usually it’s a minimum of overnight for a vaginal birth and two nights for a c-section.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ublock origin on firefox.
It has a logging feature that tells you everything a page tries to connect.
Interesting... I may email them about this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prince Louis Arthur Charles is the name.

Thanks Lorelei.

Interesting to read the meaning behind the name.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...uis-arthur-charles-royal-baby-3-name-meaning/

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to announce that they have named their son Louis Arthur Charles," reads the announcement. "The baby will be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge."

But what's in a name? Here's the rich meaning behind each of the little prince's monikers:

LOUIS
The little prince's first name, Louis, could take some people by surprise, as it wasn't one of the oddsmaker's favorites in the weeks leading up to Kate Middleton's birth. Plus, given that it is one of Prince George's middle names, many thought it was off the table for the new baby. Louis, which means "famous warrior" is also one of Prince William's middle names, and pays tribute to his uncle, the late Lord Louis Mountbatten, who was tragically murdered in an IRA bombing in 1979.

ARTHUR
Arthur was the favorite among bookmakers, with odds as high as 9/4 for the classic name, which means "bear," according to Nameberry.com. Rich with British history, Arthur nods to the 6th-century king, and his roundtable of knights. In addition to that legendary monarch, there have been several other royals named Arthur, including Henry VII's son, Arthur Tudor, Prince of Wales, and Victoria's seventh son, Prince Arthur, who was also the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn. It's also one of Prince Charles's middle names, and was one of George VI's names as well.

CHARLES
The baby's third name honors his grandfather Prince Charles. It means "free man" or "manly." Earlier this week, the Prince of Wales expressed his excitement over his new grandson. "We are both so pleased at the news," read a statement from both Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. "It is a great joy to have another grandchild, the only trouble is I don’t know how I am going to keep up with them."

THE SURNAME
While the latest addition to the royal family will not officially have a last name, he will have several options to choose from should he need to use one. Among the choices are Windsor, as the royal family is also known as the House of Windsor, and Cambridge, given that his parents are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Prince George reportedly uses Cambridge as his surname at school, so the royal baby will likely follow suit.

THE TITLE
In addition to each of his names, Britain's newest prince also has a lengthy title: His Royal Highness Prince Louis of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; however given that his parents are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the baby's name will be styled as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge.

dukeandduchessandnewbaby,.jpg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had thought they might honour his great grandfather, and have Phillip as one of his names.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got two out of three right!

If the show The Crown has any truth to it, I can see why Charles might not be so happy with Philip. Charles was very close to Lord Mountbatten. So I can see why William might have chosen Louis over Philip, and I think it is a pretty strong statement to omit Philip. But I do think it is nice they used Charles this time. Both boys have nice names, I think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the show The Crown has any truth to it, I can see why Charles might not be so happy with Philip. Charles was very close to Lord Mountbatten. So I can see why William might have chosen Louis over Philip, and I think it is a pretty strong statement to omit Philip. But I do think it is nice they used Charles this time. Both boys have nice names, I think.

You did!:lol::appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are right DS about Charles's relationship with ' Uncle Dickie.' He adored him and turned to Lord Mountbatten for everything from what I understand. It was LM that encouraged Charles to ' sow his wild oats and then look towards the upper classes to marry and a virgin was the order of the day,' as was the norm.

Enter Lady Diana Spencer.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, didn’t that turn out well!

LM also was instrumental in manouvering a relationship between Philip and Elizabeth in the first place, so he’s had quite an influence overall.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, didn’t that turn out well!

LM also was instrumental in manouvering a relationship between Philip and Elizabeth in the first place, so he’s had quite an influence overall.

He did indeed, he was quite a man.....!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the discussion about leaving hospital soon after birth, I'm no expert since I don't have kids, but birth is a big deal and the idea of women leaving so soon after horrifies me. I feel sorry for them! In my day, women were in for a week of rest and relaxation afterward. They were fed all kinds of good things like liver to build up their strength! OK, maybe we don't want to go back to the days of the liver, but the things I think of are:

Women lose a lot of blood when they give birth. Aren't they somewhat weak and dizzy afterward because of that? Makes me wonder if Kate had a blood transfusion to pep her up right after. But for normal folk, don't you feel pretty weakened for at least a few days after? I'd have thought at least two days conked out in hospital is what every woman needs after the rigors of labor.

Aren't people mostly quite sore? And what about stitches and episiotomies? Again, don't you need at least 48 hours to recover from the initial trauma?

Then there is the question of post-birth complications, from the risk of hemorraging to post-birth high blood pressure.

I think women should be allowed to sleep as long as they want after giving birth, and they should be allowed to stay in hospital for a few days if they want, for all the reasons above. I see that many people are happy about going home so soon, but it just seems very uncaring to me, to push women out the door so soon.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the discussion about leaving hospital soon after birth, I'm no expert since I don't have kids, but birth is a big deal and the idea of women leaving so soon after horrifies me. I feel sorry for them! In my day, women were in for a week of rest and relaxation afterward. They were fed all kinds of good things like liver to build up their strength! OK, maybe we don't want to go back to the days of the liver, but the things I think of are:

Women lose a lot of blood when they give birth. Aren't they somewhat weak and dizzy afterward because of that? Makes me wonder if Kate had a blood transfusion to pep her up right after. But for normal folk, don't you feel pretty weakened for at least a few days after? I'd have thought at least two days conked out in hospital is what every woman needs after the rigors of labor.

Aren't people mostly quite sore? And what about stitches and episiotomies? Again, don't you need at least 48 hours to recover from the initial trauma?

Then there is the question of post-birth complications, from the risk of hemorraging to post-birth high blood pressure.

I think women should be allowed to sleep as long as they want after giving birth, and they should be allowed to stay in hospital for a few days if they want, for all the reasons above. I see that many people are happy about going home so soon, but it just seems very uncaring to me, to push women out the door so soon.

I haven't had children either but in the UK, it's quite common for women to leave hospital the same day unless the birth had complications or a C section was done. The sepsis risk is high here so that could be part of the reason women go home so soon. Of course Kate's situation is entirely different, she'll have the best of everything all ready to go whether at hospital or at home, not like the everyday Mum. They do get 1 years paid maternity leave though which I don't think is available in the US.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've tried to stay out of this thread, because I've had 5 kids and this topic is a pet peeve of mine. I was afraid of rambling and preaching and this may very well end up like this, so be warned:mrgreen:

I found your questions very caring and valid, @Jambalaya, that's why I replied directly to you.. hope you're OK with this
I went home after 4 hours after the 4 first births. This is the legal minimum stay in Germany after a non-complication vag. delivery. They want to make sure there hasn't been anything overlooked.
I was so high on hormones that this was no problem, I was truly fine.
The soreness etc etc kicked in on day two, basically. And my broken tailbone for kid 1 started hurting on day two as well. I chose not to stay, because I HATE hospitals and to me the risk of catching a turbo sepsis is much higher than going home with a heathy baby.
sepsis risk is high here
So, yes, this is one reason for me, personally.

However, I want to be crystal clear that it is not OK to just toss a woman out on her own and expect her to scrub the floors right after delivery.
Rest is important and NO HEAVY LIFTING,
your pelvic floor muscles will thank you when you're older!!!
Also, I had a midwife who visited me and the babies every day for the first 3 days and then another 7-10 times.
Invaluable , esp. re. breastfeeding.
They are the real experts for small babies and post partum health questions. An experienced midwife is truly worth her weight in diamonds (D, IF, XXX. !!!!).

It seems to me that there's a lot of competition these days about who got out of hospital the fastest and went on with their lives as if nothing had happened. To me it's not"modern" it's deeply misogynistic. Basically: Shut up and don't bother anyone.
It's not healthy. It puts a lot of pressure and stress on women (and newborns, consequently).
Every woman should be treated like a princess for the time of adjustment after giving birth.
If you cannot count on your support network at home, a hospital stay might be the right way.

I'm sure stunning Duchess Kate didn't have any of those problems, but I still feel for her, since she's so scrutinized and basically didn't have a choice other than the perfect hair/makeup/wardrobe/body.

I just don't like the message this may send to susceptible new moms who might be struggling to adapt....

Rant over.
Sorry

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried to stay out of this thread, because I've had 5 kids and this topic is a pet peeve of mine. I was afraid of rambling and preaching and this may very well end up like this, so be warned:mrgreen:

I found your questions very caring and valid, @Jambalaya, that's why I replied directly to you.. hope you're OK with this
I went home after 4 hours after the 4 first births. This is the legal minimum stay in Germany after a non-complication vag. delivery. They want to make sure there hasn't been anything overlooked.
I was so high on hormones that this was no problem, I was truly fine.
The soreness etc etc kicked in on day two, basically. And my broken tailbone for kid 1 started hurting on day two as well. I chose not to stay, because I HATE hospitals and to me the risk of catching a turbo sepsis is much higher than going home with a heathy baby.

So, yes, this is one reason for me, personally.

However, I want to be crystal clear that it is not OK to just toss a woman out on her own and expect her to scrub the floors right after delivery.
Rest is important and NO HEAVY LIFTING,
your pelvic floor muscles will thank you when you're older!!!
Also, I had a midwife who visited me and the babies every day for the first 3 days and then another 7-10 times.
Invaluable , esp. re. breastfeeding.
They are the real experts for small babies and post partum health questions. An experienced midwife is truly worth her weight in diamonds (D, IF, XXX. !!!!).

It seems to me that there's a lot of competition these days about who got out of hospital the fastest and went on with their lives as if nothing had happened. To me it's not"modern" it's deeply misogynistic. Basically: Shut up and don't bother anyone.
It's not healthy. It puts a lot of pressure and stress on women (and newborns, consequently).
Every woman should be treated like a princess for the time of adjustment after giving birth.
If you cannot count on your support network at home, a hospital stay might be the right way.

I'm sure stunning Duchess Kate didn't have any of those problems, but I still feel for her, since she's so scrutinized and basically didn't have a choice other than the perfect hair/makeup/wardrobe/body.

I just don't like the message this may send to susceptible new moms who might be struggling to adapt....

Rant over.
Sorry

New Mums should indeed be treated like a Princess! What makes me cringe are the stories of extended family descending uninvited, baby hogging and the poor new Mum having to wait on them hand and foot.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert either @Jambalaya , I’ve only had 1 large baby with a big head :shock:

I’m not sure why you think women lose a lot of blood giving birth, that’s only if something goes drastically wrong.

Within a couple of hours of giving birth, they got me up to move about, presumably to stop any problem of DVT’s. They wouldn’t have got me up if I’d had a C-section.

I had lots of stitches, both internal and external, and lots of bruising, so yes, it was sore and uncomfortable, but not enough to take/need painkillers.

I had to have an Anti-D gamma globulin injection because of Rhesus incompatibility, but other than that, I went home in less than 48 hrs.

I didn’t need any medical care, and TBH, I couldn’t wait to get out of there, it was noisy, and I couldn’t sleep because there was always some activity going on, or baby crying.

The afternoon I got home, a midwife called round to check on us, and visited once a day for the following 10 days.

It was far more restful at home than in hospital, so unless you or the baby needs medical treatment, I personally don’t see the need to be in hospital.

My DH was only home for 2 days with me, then I was on my own. I didn’t find it a big deal, I just managed, you just do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results