shape
carat
color
clarity

A New Prince For The United Kingdom

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is interested in all the little details about a royal baby, s/he can listen to this report!

Link...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe they walked out TODAY to show the baby! Kate looked fantastic!

My name guesses are Arthur, Philip, Charles, William. Let's see how many are right!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe they walked out TODAY to show the baby! Kate looked fantastic!

I couldn't believe it, either. And I am sure she had to be in proper hosiery. Then they took the baby home! Even getting dressed (and not having to pull on hose) would be an ordeal, never mind walking up and down stairs carrying an almost nine pound baby! On the other hand, I am sure there are societies in which women simply pause from their digging in the fields to give birth then resume their work. The women who have no choice, of course.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for them, but I couldn't believe it either. She must have quite a team to get her so put together so quickly. I am amazed that she can walk normally and in HEELS ls so quickly after birth. I felt like I hobbled for days.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's insane. I mean, to look THAT GOOD after just giving birth? What kind of drugs did they give her to perk her up?! :twisted2:

There are actually conspiracy theorists who believe she's never really been pregnant and other people have carried the babies, precisely because they say she couldn't look that good after just giving birth :lol:

For my name guess, I say James, Thomas, or Alexander

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm amazed and jealous of her health because I could barely walk the day of giving birth much less put on dress, makeup and walk out of the hospital to take photos. My whole body hurt not to mention all the blood loss.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know she had a team come to the hospital to get her ready for that appearance, but the same day? I could barely get into maternity shorts, two days later, to be pushed to the car. There was no hair done, let alone make up, those and heels.

I hadn't heard about those conspiracy theories, @ILikeShiny , crazy!

I'm hoping for the name Alexander or Phillip. Will they give a first name for a living relative? I don't know what the traditions are.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s standard practice in the UK to be allowed home after 6 hours if you have a completely straightforward delivery! Did it myself, second time around.

Her stylist was seen leaving the building earlier in the day.........

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s standard practice in the UK to be allowed home after 6 hours if you have a completely straightforward delivery! Did it myself, second time around.

Her stylist was seen leaving the building earlier in the day.........

And has been the case here for many years.

Even almost 35 years ago, you were only kept in for 36-48 hrs as a first timer if there were no complications.

Let’s face it, she’s not going home to a pile of washing and ironing and a floor that needs mopping :lol: Unlike the rest of us, if there were to be a problem, one phonecall and the best Doctors would be there like a shot, so no real reason for her to be in hospital.

I hope they pick a less traditional name for the baby, and definitely NOT Arthur.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to the happy couple and to the country! :appl:

And yes one needs to get out of the hospital as soon as one can. They are for sick people and one can catch nasty things there so the sooner one is able to leave the better.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gave birth on a Friday morning at 5:00, and left hospital on Sunday at 10:00.
It’s common practice in our country too to leave the hospital as soon as possible.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave birth on a Friday morning at 5:00, and left hospital on Sunday at 10:00.
It’s common practice in our country too to leave the hospital as soon as possible.

I wish it was like that here!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is depending where you are located. I know in NY my friends and my sister were discharged from the hospital as soon as they were able to leave. Health insurance companies don't want to pay for any extra days in the hospital in my experience.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s even possible to give birth, and leave immediately after it, i.e. 2-3 hours later. It’s more common by women with the second or third child, because they know already how to breastfeed and help the baby to latch on.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s even possible to give birth, and leave immediately after it, i.e. 2-3 hours later. It’s more common by women with the second or third child, because they know already how to breastfeed and help the baby to latch on.
It's even quicker if one has a home-birth :lol: lol

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William and Kate) have had their third child, a boy. The little prince has not, yet, been named. The odds have been on "Arthur". Who knows?

Link...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
Hey AGBF, have you considered shortening links like that one down to their bare essentials?

All that's really needed for that link is:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/world/europe/royal-baby-duchess-cambridge.html

The rest is just the website tracking what you've clicked on the previous webpage that showed you the link!

[/tin foil hat] lol :D

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a feeling Alexander Philip Arthur. I really don't know how Kate does it, give birth then look like she's just stepped out of a band box but she looks great and very happy, Motherhood suits her.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this collage earlier today. She looked as fresh as a spring daisy after each birth. I wonder if after the photos she goes back to the castle, scrubs off her face, puts her hair up in a ponytail and throws on some sweats :lol:

F2B02BFA-207A-49F7-A7BA-73DF4466D7A1.jpeg

I saw this too. Very sweet how much she looks like Diana after Harry’s birth :kiss2:
9B3FCDD5-E9B9-4E57-9E35-8FA95079D59A.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is so gorgeous! I didn't look that good 6 weeks after having a baby! Oh, wait, I've never looked that good in my life!:lol::lol::lol:

(My daughter had her second baby at a birthing center. Left home at midnight (40 min drive), baby born about 1:30am, they arrived back home at 9:00am! She got much more rest at home than in the hospital overnight!)

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's even quicker if one has a home-birth :lol: lol

Hey AGBF, have you considered shortening links like that one down to their bare essentials?

All that's really needed for that link is:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/world/europe/royal-baby-duchess-cambridge.html

I did not. I did not because I did not know that I had the choice of shortening it.

The rest is just the website tracking what you've clicked on the previous webpage that showed you the link!

I do not know what that means. I do not know the advantage of omitting the website tracking. Does it prevent people from tracking me and others who use the website? If you want me to shorten the link for some good reason (privacy, for instance), please tell me how to do so. Do I simply cut the link after "html" or are there other rules?

Deb :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not. I did not because I did not know that I had the choice of shortening it.

I do not know what that means. I do not know the advantage of omitting the website tracking. Does it prevent people from tracking me and others who use the website? If you want me to shorten the link for some good reason (privacy, for instance), please tell me how to do so. Do I simply cut the link after "html" or are there other rules?

Deb :wavey:

It's mostly just me being a privacy freak :lol: lol

Now, this is my understanding and it may well be wrong (he says, awaiting a proper internet geek to come along and correct him :razz: ) but AIUI that link breaks down into:

The webpage address:

and then everything after the webpage address (the start of which can often be marked with a question mark, in my experience, which can be seen at the start of the snipped section here):
?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

In this snipped section, we have various subsections, often separated by an ampersand (&):

?hp&action=click
&pgtype=Homepage
&clickSource=story-heading
&module=first-column-region
&region=top-news
&WT.nav=top-news

These would seem to suggest to me (in this instance) that (in order of the above):

the action that triggered the opening of the webpage was a mouse click,
the webpage that the link was on was the homepage,
the header/headline of the story was the actual thing that was clicked,
the story clicked on was in the first column or region of the page,
the region/section of the page was the 'top news' region/section,
and then something else I'm not sure about :lol: but refers to the 'top news' section again.

It is a similar case with Amazon links, such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Early-History-King-Gems/dp/0300215665/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524588756&sr=1-3&keywords=diamond

which is formed of the webpage:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Early-History-King-Gems/dp/0300215665/
(which includes the name of the product and the product code)
and then everything after the webpage:
ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524588756&sr=1-3&keywords=diamond
in which although it has no question mark at the start of the section, we can see that the item in question:
was the third item down on the first page of the search results,
was searched for within the Books section,
was (I think) query ID number 1524588756,
was the third item down on the first page of the search results (not sure why this bit is repeated),
and the keyword searched for was 'diamond'.

eBay also does exactly the same thing, such as:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/good-con...494107?hash=item4b417f1ddb:g:d7sAAOSwU3Na3vad

which includes the actual webpage link (containing some product details and the auction number):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/good-con...ing-size-w-x-with-clear-diamonds/323223494107

and then the other sections:
?hash=item4b417f1ddb:g:d7sAAOSwU3Na3vad
which starts with the aforementioned question mark, but TBH, are harder to work out than the two previous examples here because they are computer-generated codes rather than plain english words, but are undoubtedly being used in the same way.

What these extra sections do is help websites identify who is clicking on what and where it is on a page, therefore what attracts people (and that specific person) to click on something and how the website can tailor webpages to increase clicks or sales. It is basically analysis of users' preferences and habits, which helps enable websites to tailor their marketing (of products or (clickbait) links to other sections of their site) to their own benefit.

By right-click-and-copying such webpage links and then pasting them into the address bar at the top of one's browser, so one can remove all the unnecessary tracking information before pressing enter, rather than just left-clicking to open them, it reduces the amount of data that websites can harvest about you as a user. It might still be recording cookies and the items you look at, but this method should (must, surely!) reduce websites' ability to directly monitor what you're clicking on / how well their marketing is working.

eBay and Amazon can even be made shorter than the above by just using the product codes / auction numbers, as follows!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0300215665/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323223494107

:)

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my DS at lunch time on the Monday and left hospital on the Wednesday morning, and was straight back into my tight jeans. When the midwife called round, she couldn’t believe I’d just had a baby :lol:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for them, but I couldn't believe it either. She must have quite a team to get her so put together so quickly. I am amazed that she can walk normally and in HEELS ls so quickly after birth. I felt like I hobbled for days.
I hear ya! I could hardly stagger to the bathroom in the hours following giving birth! :eek2:
Kates’ a Bada$$!!

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It used to be more like it here. My first is 22.5 years old. Just before she was born, NJ passed a law that insurance companies had to pay for at least two nights after a vaginal birth and three or four after a C-section. Other states had and have different laws. A woman can leave sooner, in most cases, I think.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, this is my understanding and it may well be wrong (he says, awaiting a proper internet geek to come along and correct him :razz: )

I doubt that there is anyone who is more of an internet geek than you reading Hangout, OoohShiny! Thank you for all the information. I will print out your posting when I am at my downstairs computer so that I can study what you wrote. I did not know any of the above. I have been on the 'net since before Windows existed, for about 22 or 23 years. But in the beginning I took ridiculous precautions to preserve my anonynymity. (I posted using a device called the nymserver.) Now I just figure that that anyone who is technologically able and really determined can find out about me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt that there is anyone who is more of an internet geek than you reading Hangout, OoohShiny! Thank you for all the information. I will print out your posting when I am at my downstairs computer so that I can study what you wrote. I did not know any of the above. I have been on the 'net since before Windows existed, for about 22 or 23 years. But in the beginning I took ridiculous precautions to preserve my anonynymity. (I posted using a device called the nymserver.) Now I just figure that that anyone who is technologically able and really determined can find out about me.
Oh, I don't know - we do have @Karl_K on the board ;-) :D

I applaud and support anyone doing their best to remain anonymous in this day and age - it irritates me when I hear or read people saying we can't expect to be anonymous anymore. Why not?! Why should we just roll over and accept that a random stranger could walk up to us on the street and tell us everything about us while we know nothing about them? I will tell people what I want to tell them, not have them know things I would rather they didn't know. Grrr!

I always try not to post info that may personally identify me, although I'm sure there are various computer programs/systems that are able to link one's writing style across different places on the internet and put it all together to create a picture of the writer.

If you use www.duckduckgo.com for internet searches, they don't track your searches or profile you like Google does, and www.ixquick.com is an even more secure search engine, AIUI, because it lets one browse websites through their proxy site without any of your information getting through to the sites in question. One can also use TOR ('the onion ring') to access the internet, but it's not possible on my work machines :( and is often talked about in negative connotations due to its use by those on 'the dark web' - because an average person wanting to be anonymous is apparently synonymous with being a criminal :roll:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is depending where you are located. Health insurance companies don't want to pay for any extra days in the hospital in my experience.

Interesting article fyi.

http://www.businessinsider.com/length-hospital-time-after-giving-birth-2016-3

American women giving birth leave the hospital as quickly as women in Haiti and Kenya

Rebecca Harrington

56e06fe8dd0895c2778b47f7-750-490.jpg

A mother and her newborn rest just after birth.
8136496@N05/Flickr
The average woman in Egypt only stays in the hospital for half a day after giving birth.

A typical woman in Ukraine, meanwhile, stays just over six days.

A new study published in PLOS Medicine March 8 documents the average time new mothers stay in the hospital after giving birth in 71 different countries.

The US is on the low end of the spectrum, with women only staying in the hospital for two days on average.

The researchers used the most recent data, but it spans from 2005 to 2013, depending on what was available for each country. And it only accounts for women who gave birth vaginally (not via C-section) to singletons (rather than twins or triplets).

Here's a look at a selection of 20 of the countries they analyzed (you can see the full list in a graphicfrom the study).

Skye Gould/Tech Insider

The average stay for a new mother in the US has gotten shorter since 1970, when mothers stayed in the hospital twice as long at 4.1 days.

A report from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention attributed this decrease to the rise in health care costs over that same time frame. People just couldn't afford to stay in the hospital that long anymore.

To keep the average from dipping any lower, Congress passed the Newborns' and Mothers' Health Protection Act in 1996. That requires health insurers to cover at least 48 hours for uncomplicated vaginal deliveries and 96 hours for Cesarean sections.

56e06fe8dd0895c2778b47f9-750-499.jpg

A newborn baby and her mother in the hospital.

The World Health Organization recommends that women who have uncomplicated vaginal deliveries stay in the hospital for at least 24 hours after birth.

The first 24 hours after birth are critical for monitoring both the baby's and the mother's health. If women stay for less than a day, they could be at higher risk for complications.

Women should typically stay longer after C-sections since they have to recover from major surgery. About one in three American women get C-sections, and they typically stay about four days, according to the US Office of Women's Health.

"Substantial proportions of women stay too short following childbirth to allow for adequate postnatal care," the authors of the PLOS Medicine study concluded.

"Globally, women are encouraged to deliver in facilities in the first instance because this is the easiest place to provide skilled birth attendance and evidence-based postnatal care adhering to minimal global standards. Ensuring that such care is available, and that women and their newborns stay long enough to receive it, is essential."

The name of the baby might be revealed soon. :appl:
The name of the baby Prince of Cambridge, who was born on Monday at 11.01am weighing 8lb 7oz, has yet to be unveiled.
Kensington Palace said the name would be announced in "due course" but the favourite at the bookies is currently Arthur, followed by James, Philip and Albert.

Born fifth in line, the baby is the Queen and Philip's sixth great-grandchild.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://duckduckgo.com/t/ is called several times on each page and with number stored in a cookie that's unique to each visitor that tracks everything you do on the site. The T stands for tracking.
See! I have been outgeeked already ;-) lol

Are you finding this in the output from the View Source tool accessed by right-clicking?
Or in the cookies folder? (that I can never remember where it is)

DDG's big sell is that they don't track your search history and don't sell/pass your data on - would the cookie therefore just be so it can operate the actual searches? And you get a new cookie/number with each search / site visit?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
See! I have been outgeeked already ;-) lol

Are you finding this in the output from the View Source tool accessed by right-clicking?
Or in the cookies folder? (that I can never remember where it is)

DDG's big sell is that they don't track your search history and don't sell/pass your data on - would the cookie therefore just be so it can operate the actual searches? And you get a new cookie/number with each search / site visit?
ublock origin on firefox.
It has a logging feature that tells you everything a page tries to connect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results