shape
carat
color
clarity

A Mothers ring or necklace...for my mom

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday my mother mentioned she would love to have a mother's ring. I have to tell you, she' not worn a ring for many years, in fact, never seen her wear one from my mid 20's on! (her and my dad now keep their wedding rings on key chains....lol)

There's 5 of us, so Im thinking a necklace instead. thats a whole lotta rocks to try to fit on a ring she might not even wear..... I'd have to do unplated 18K + or platinum.

The breakdown of the stones in order (oldest to youngest)
December
August
November
June
December

So any suggestions for stones and design ideas? I don't want to go too big, my mom's older and on the tiny side. She also wants to wants to "keep it klassy" :roll: :lol: That said she's pretty open to most designs, I'm open to anything as long as its pretty. Pretty sure I'd use DK for this project.

We're not doing this for Christmas, and my mom's next birthday isn't until August, so plenty of time to get the stones and setting hammered out. My oldest brother wants to aim for Valentines Day. I said April Fools :saint:..but hey....

Anyway on to the stones; would 4mm be too small, too big? Depending on design that could be 20mm of stones (maybe a round design??) I'm open to ANY design combination.

As always the help of the community is greatly appreciated. (yes this will be a community project...lol)

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The breakdown of the stones in order (oldest to youngest)
December
August
November
June
December

open to anything as long as its pretty.

You said it :)
Maybe a journey pendant with 5 graduated stones?

or a horizontal one, with different sized stones and shapes?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 ooooo these are nice! @Gloria27 I originally thought maybe a horizontal one. maybe one that converts to a lapel pin.

So, questions about June. I think that month's stone is alexandrite. which will be pricy. should make my brother pay for that stone himself...lol I likely will go with 2mm rounds instead of 4mm rounds to keep the price in check.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
As a June baby who hates Alexandrite, the other traditional June birthstones are pearl and moonstone...

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a ring. The five rubies in DW's ruby band average 4.22 mm in width for a total of 21.1mm. There are also four 2.0mm diamonds in the spaces between the rubies so total "length" is 29.1mm. DW is a size 7 so you might want to reduce the size of, or even eliminate the diamonds if your mother wears a smaller size.

Ruby Band 6.jpg Ruby Band DK 1.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using this list https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/birthstones :

December - turquoise, zircon, tanzanite
August - peridot, spinel, sardonyx
November - citrine, topaz
June - pearl, moonstone, alexandrite

That the end stones are the same month is kind of convenient because you can pick the same thing for both of them - then I'd go with an orange citrine for November in the middle, and get an alexandrite and a teal spinel for the other two that are fairly close in color, even if you have to go synthetic alexandrite.

OR with 3-3.5mm stones, you could get several representing each child and do a DBTY.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a ring. The five rubies in DW's ruby band average 4.22 mm in width for a total of 21.1mm. There are also four 2.0mm diamonds in the spaces between the rubies so total "length" is 29.1mm. DW is a size 7 so you might want to reduce the size of, or even eliminate the diamonds if your mother wears a smaller size.

Ruby Band 6.jpg Ruby Band DK 1.jpg
Lovely! Ring!

I rule it out personally as I haven't seen her wear one in over 20 years...but also she uses a walker/cane (even more now) Size wise shes about a size 4-5ish. I think she likes the thought of a ring, but probably not the most practical.
Using this list https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/birthstones :

August - peridot, spinel, sardonyx
November - citrine, topaz
June - pearl, moonstone, alexandrite

That the end stones are the same month is kind of convenient because you can pick the same thing for both of them - then I'd go with an orange citrine for November in the middle, and get an alexandrite and a teal spinel for the other two that are fairly close in color, even if you have to go synthetic alexandrite.

OR with 3-3.5mm stones, you could get several representing each child and do a DBTY.
I think for a necklace I want to keep it shorter so it doesn't interfere when she's using her walker. She's thin but she's about 5'6" because of the walker situation I like the thought of keeping the chain a bit shorter. She uses it a bit more than the cane these days. Though I do like that a DBTY she'd be able to put it on by herself or have my dad do it and not strain himself...lol

I considered synthetic alexandrite. I believe however I might be able to get genuine one from Africa gemstones for not too much. Sourcing the rest of the stones in the same size though....Moonstone (of course I love it) but would I be able to source one so small? does make me wonder.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it sounds lovelly
and also its awsome she's kind of dropped a hint of what she wants
it can be really hard buying something really nice for sn older parent when they don't seem to need or want much
i love the look of those horizontal necklases

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 ooooo these are nice! @Gloria27 I originally thought maybe a horizontal one. maybe one that converts to a lapel pin.

So, questions about June. I think that month's stone is alexandrite. which will be pricy. should make my brother pay for that stone himself...lol I likely will go with 2mm rounds instead of 4mm rounds to keep the price in check.

I've bought from this seller before and noticed he's got some Alexandrites.
They are not super quality but some are nice and inexpensive:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian what a thoughtful and generous gift.

Just want to say though make sure your mom really wants a necklace and not a ring since she did request a ring. Just make sure. If there is one thing I know about moms they can be super stubborn. Or at least mine is.

I cannot wait to see how this amazing gift develops. Whatever you decide it will be gorgeous of that I have no doubt.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd do a circle pin º - possibly pin/pendant, with the birthstones and diamonds inbetween - perhaps hit Dan Stair for a suite of colored stones & get ten smaller diamonds. Of course, I say this because I would wear one [I am small & half old]

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian what a thoughtful and generous gift.

Just want to say though make sure your mom really wants a necklace and not a ring since she did request a ring. Just make sure. If there is one thing I know about moms they can be super stubborn. Or at least mine is.

I cannot wait to see how this amazing gift develops. Whatever you decide it will be gorgeous of that I have no doubt.
very wise words from missy above

and its not an inconsequential anount of money if mom doesn't wear it because she really wanted a ring
she might love the idea of a necklase but id make sure first

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
What about a bangle (if in budget)? Plenty of space for stones and easy to view and enjoy.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
-
!

Now I am seeing that the request for a ring remains. Of course, 'Five Stones' is a kind of ring, no question they would work.

I assume the stones must be of the same size and arranged in the order of birthdays &each stone can be 5 mm -ish www with weights varying slightly for the various stones & the proportions of their cut; a red/deep pink/flame spinel, a pink topaz (expected light pink), a faceted blue or rainbow moonstone aligned (or clustered) between two very blue zircons, would be a sight, & an intriguing task for a cutter to produce...

The colours seem particularly happy together - a gradation of pink between brilliant teal/blues!

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Loved the tree pendant that someone suggested, that would work really well with different sizes stones and of course signifies family too.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Convertible ring/pendant? Just putting it out here for consideration.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I talked to my oldest brother (and my mom) other the weekend. A ring is totally out. @missy, it would sit in her jewelry box along with her other rings...or at worst, be on a key chain somewhere:shock: (her wedding ring is on a key chain, not even kidding.....)

My mother loves surprises. But I'm that one kid that will be like "what do you want, so I know you're going to actually use it." I don't do surprises. I leave that to my other siblings and my dad.

One year for her birthday I gave her a card with 200 dollars in it, because she didn't tell me what she want. She was a little disappointed, though not so much that she gave me the money back :$$):

I asked my dad one year what he wanted for his birthday. He said a vacuum. Hell I got him one.B

That said, she does love the idea of a necklace. Don't get me wrong, I know WHY she would love to have a ring, because I sit and stare at the things myself!! But for practical use its not a good idea.

She doesn't wear bangles (we discussed but its a no go), so that said, its going to be a necklace. I do like the thought of having one thats convertible to a brooch because she can get multiple uses out of it.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bar necklaces

Screenshot_20191028-143718_Chrome.jpg

And this is an interesting take...

Screenshot_20191028-143734_Chrome.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results