shape
carat
color
clarity

A mint green/Lagoon tourmaline dream

Module

Shiny_Rock
At first, I would like to shout special thanks to @LemonMoonLex who posted her dreamy blue sapphire from Daniel O'Neil, and curiosity leads me to Daniel's IG page. I have been searching for bluish-green/greenish-blue tourmaline for quite some time, talked to several IG vendors in Thailand and Pakistan but dragged my feet due to the difficulties of returning. But all of a sudden, I see it and she is calling my name! Daniel is a delight to work with and the cutting is impeccable.

Here is the stats: Congo tourmaline 9.22ct, 11.28*10.3*9.4mm. It is mint green or bluish green in indoor lighting, and picks up more blue in outdoor lighting. So far it is the largest gemstone I have ever had, and I'm still processing how large it appears on the finger.

Ok, no more words. First come Daniel's artistic shot.
2021-02-03_13-15-47_853.jpeg

Then mine, when it shines in the sun...
BathIntheSun.jpg

and a few indoor handshots....
HandShot1.jpg

HandShot2.jpg

outdoors it picks more blue from the sky..
IMG_1837.JPG

OutdoorHandshot1.JPG

under a loupe:

UnderLoupe.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowza
:love:
:swoon:
Your pics are fantastic

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That puppy is huge!!!! Congrats on acquiring such a beauty!

Module

Shiny_Rock
To the setting idea, one of my inspiration is this vintage emerald ring
https://www.wharfedaleantiques.com/...aldandDiamondRinginPlatinumRG751&search=RG751
6-450x450.jpg
It has similar measurements (11*10*7.3mm) as mine but depth is slightly short, on a 6.85 ring size. I love the east-west orientation and the step down shoulder, but my left ring finger is 4.75~5, I'm not sure if it would be too busy or even have enough space for the shoulder, or maybe I need to make it to middle finger on right hand which can handle 6.5-7. As a illustration, this is how it looks on the left hand:
EWHand.jpg

Another concern is about its height, it has a puffy crown and maybe about 7mm from the culet to the girdle. Asking PSers who have experience with tall gemstone rings, how comfortable do you feel wearing them? What things you wish you knew about setting deep stones? Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Incredibly beautiful!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the setting idea, one of my inspiration is this vintage emerald ring
https://www.wharfedaleantiques.com/...aldandDiamondRinginPlatinumRG751&search=RG751
6-450x450.jpg
It has similar measurements (11*10*7.3mm) as mine but depth is slightly short, on a 6.85 ring size. I love the east-west orientation and the step down shoulder, but my left ring finger is 4.75~5, I'm not sure if it would be too busy or even have enough space for the shoulder, or maybe I need to make it to middle finger on right hand which can handle 6.5-7. As a illustration, this is how it looks on the left hand:
EWHand.jpg

Another concern is about its height, it has a puffy crown and maybe about 7mm from the culet to the girdle. Asking PSers who have experience with tall gemstone rings, how comfortable do you feel wearing them? What things you wish you knew about setting deep stones? Thanks!

Well you have to be careful because it is a tourmaline, and IMO they can be “chippy.” I would halo it and use double prongs. The nice thing about a high crown on a tourmaline is that it shows more brilliance since they are low RI stones.

it looks Afghan, I would never ha e guessed it was from the Congo (they tend to black out).

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue green tourmalines are such a gateway drug...er, stone. They are just so darn beautiful! I could collect them the rest of my life and never be sated.

ETA: Oops, see what addiction does to me? I forgot to say how much I love your stone. That will make a gorgeous ring.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting. If you find the setting is going to be too high, you. Can alas do the same setting but in a pendant. I love the stone and proposed setting.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS!!! Oh wow...how do I love it? Let me count the ways! :shock::eek-2::kiss2:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Well you have to be careful because it is a tourmaline, and IMO they can be “chippy.” I would halo it and use double prongs. The nice thing about a high crown on a tourmaline is that it shows more brilliance since they are low RI stones.

it looks Afghan, I would never ha e guessed it was from the Congo (they tend to black out).
Great tips. Thanks.

Reactions: T L

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love this!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning! The cut and brilliance is wonderful. I would lean towards a pendant but that’s because I’m not very comfortable with wearing large stones. I’m sure some other PSers will convince you it can work.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous tourmaline! I like TL's idea of a halo with double prongs.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Another concern is about its height, it has a puffy crown and maybe about 7mm from the culet to the girdle. Asking PSers who have experience with tall gemstone rings, how comfortable do you feel wearing them? What things you wish you knew about setting deep stones?

Congrats on your stunning tourmaline!

Taller rings takes a bit of getting used to but once you are used to it then it’s not too bad. But I am quite conscious of the height and try to be extra careful while wearing tall rings.

This sapphire is 7.6mm tall and as you can see from the side profile, set very tall as it was set in a YG cup and in a convertible setting and so even higher than usual. But still ok to wear.

A04A9D9F-53E8-41F5-96BA-E6C372D67540.jpeg 2FD2C493-FB6E-4600-8DEA-DAAC186483E9.jpeg

Will suggest asking the bench to set the stone as low as possible but without the cutlet touching your skin. Your stone is 9.4mm tall so if you imagine a ring sitting approx 1cm above your finger, it’s pretty tall.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Taller rings takes a bit of getting used to but once you are used to it then it’s not too bad. But I am quite conscious of the height and try to be extra careful while wearing tall rings.

This sapphire is 7.6mm tall and as you can see from the side profile, set very tall as it was set in a YG cup and in a convertible setting and so even higher than usual. But still ok to wear.

A04A9D9F-53E8-41F5-96BA-E6C372D67540.jpeg 2FD2C493-FB6E-4600-8DEA-DAAC186483E9.jpeg

Will suggest asking the bench to set the stone as low as possible but without the cutlet touching your skin. Your stone is 9.4mm tall so if you imagine a ring sitting approx 1cm above your finger, it’s pretty tall.

Wow that is a tall one! Lovely ring - did you have it made? Would you mind telling me who you used if so?

Module

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the tips! I'm also thinking of bezel it and have a open gallery in the bezel cup.

Interesting, I feel Afghanistan tourmaline is more popular than Congo tourmaline in the spectrum of blue/green/lagoon color in IG, based on what IG put in my feeds. Mine is a performer under the sun, I have too many out-of-focus blurry photos of it because it reflects the light out like parallel set of mirrors.

Module

Shiny_Rock
Lovely stone, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

Blue green tourmalines are such a gateway drug...er, stone. They are just so darn beautiful! I could collect them the rest of my life and never be sated.

ETA: Oops, see what addiction does to me? I forgot to say how much I love your stone. That will make a gorgeous ring.

GORGEOUS!!! Oh wow...how do I love it? Let me count the ways! :shock::eek-2::kiss2:

Thank you dk168, minousbijoux and Mjk1! It is definitely a very deep rabbit hole, I hope this one scratched the itch for me, at least for some time.

Module

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for the detailed example, I have always admired your ring collection. I would definitely set it as low as possible. Do you mind sharing what is the face-up measurement of your ring including the halo and the ring size? I'm starting to think that it may not have enough width to show the stepdown shoulder, because I still want to see a little metal from the shank when facing down.

Module

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting. If you find the setting is going to be too high, you. Can alas do the same setting but in a pendant. I love the stone and proposed setting.

Absolutely stunning! The cut and brilliance is wonderful. I would lean towards a pendant but that’s because I’m not very comfortable with wearing large stones. I’m sure some other PSers will convince you it can work.

Thanks for sharing the advice, I don't wear pendant too much but I wear one ring on each hand when working from home, they are easier to admire. I will try to pull it through, in a safe way =)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is a tall one! Lovely ring - did you have it made? Would you mind telling me who you used if so?
Thank you for the detailed example, I have always admired your ring collection. I would definitely set it as low as possible. Do you mind sharing what is the face-up measurement of your ring including the halo and the ring size? I'm starting to think that it may not have enough width to show the stepdown shoulder, because I still want to see a little metal from the shank when facing down.

It’s via my local jeweler so not a route I’ll advise unless you are in Singapore.

US Size 7.75 and here are the measurements:
428AE53E-C391-4C3B-AC53-5766472C9CED.jpeg
9ECB0784-F908-4431-B216-E3D339DC7CF6.jpeg

I do see a little metal when I’m facing down, like so:
F0E3F464-0C18-4496-B837-77AE1C37A2B5.jpeg 02A084CD-3023-4E07-98BE-F44799BF74A7.jpeg

HTH

Edit: Btw the ring is approx 11.2mm tall.

I have a few giant rings that are even taller but I’ll be honest that shorter rings are a lot more comfy to wear. I love this ring though and still do wear it. Also in case you think you maybe will want to wear it as a pendant, then maybe consider doing as a convertible ring/pendant. I’m glad I went that way for an even bigger ring/stone that’s usually just a bit too big to wear as a ring. But it works well as a pendant.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s via my local jeweler so not a route I’ll advise unless you are in Singapore.

F0E3F464-0C18-4496-B837-77AE1C37A2B5.jpeg 02A084CD-3023-4E07-98BE-F44799BF74A7.jpeg

HTH

Awesome! You are fortunate to have a good local jeweler!

Module

Shiny_Rock

HTH

Edit: Btw the ring is approx 11.2mm tall.

I have a few giant rings that are even taller but I’ll be honest that shorter rings are a lot more comfy to wear. I love this ring though and still do wear it. Also in case you think you maybe will want to wear it as a pendant, then maybe consider doing as a convertible ring/pendant. I’m glad I went that way for an even bigger ring/stone that’s usually just a bit too big to wear as a ring. But it works well as a pendant.

Thank you! Back to searching more inspirations......

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Stunning, incredibly stunning.
I have no words for how beautiful it is! He is excellent at what he does & if you're as thrilled with your stone as I am with my saph I cannot wait to see what you do with this gal! ❤️

Module

Shiny_Rock
Hi, this may be a silly question, is there any good way to measure accurately the depth from girdle to culet using a caliper? I can measure the total depth from table to culet, but from girdle is a guess game. How jeweler measure them before doing a CAD, using a scanner?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous, both stone and setting!!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous! The color, cut, and setting are wonderful. If it becomes a nuisance because it's too top heavy (especially in winter), consider getting sizing beads. I had to do that with my sapphire ring because it would slide around and wouldn't stand up at attention on my finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results