shape
carat
color
clarity

A little help? Last step in deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adgrande

Rough_Rock
All,

Okay, I've done my due-diligence... shopped, compared, asked, and educated myself. Lastly, I seek the valued guidance of others. I have greatly enjoyed reading this board, and hope you all can offer opinions before I take the leap.

Here's the stone:

H&A, AGLAIA, EGL Certified
Polish, Symmetry, Proportions: EGL Ideal (dated 12/4/01)
1.53 / E / VS1
Measured: 7.43 x 7.38 x 4.57 mm
Flourescence: None
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavil Depth: 43%
Culet: None
Girdle Thickness: Medium, faceted
Cut Advisor: .8 - Excellent
Graining: Nil
Price: $16,200

My concern remains about the EGL Cert not being as accurate as others? Still true?

This diamond hurts to look at, burned my eyes. I could barely find the inclusion, even with a 10x, and had to look very hard.

Also, I am working with a small, trusted local jeweler. What kind of negotiating should I expect?

Looking forward to your advice.
Dean

moediamond

Rough_Rock
HI Dean,

Hate to burst your bubble, but you are not getting a great price.
This diamond is priced at "Full RapSheet".
$10,500 per carat is the current E VS1 1.50-1.99 price. :-o

Although, cut wise, it is a beautiful looking stone.
You can get AGS certified Ideal H&A for around $15K

If this stone scored a 0.1 and had an AGS cert on it, then it might be worth full rap price.
:read:

adgrande

Rough_Rock
You are not bursting my bubble at all! I collect information, it's one of my hobbies.... Thank you for your input!

Dean

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Adgrande,

I compared the price with other branded ideal H&A in the internet like A Cut Above and SuperbCert and was surprised to see your price is not bad for this kind of stone (considering package, personal service, etc.)

Now it's a matter of accuracy of EGL report. Yes, EGL report is considered less consistent than AGS or GIA in the trade hence EGL certed diamonds cost less.

You might want to verify the accuracy of the grading independently or send stone to GIA or AGS. Later will cost you (or your vendor) some $200 but might be worth it because if clarity and/or color one grade off the price will be a bit too high.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One more thing: Using average depth% for crown and pavilion from EGL report is useless - error is too big. You have to get accurate (not average) crown and pavilion angles to be more certain. However, I'm sure this Aglaia stone is very nice. :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to know that Moe sells diamonds and is not quite impartial (but is helpful).
EGL from Israel is bad news, but the USA labs on high color high clarity stones are not as bad as they are on say I SI2 where you might assume J I1.

Gil

Rough_Rock
I never heard about Aglaia having EGL certificates. Are you sure it is original?
Probably the most important thing about Aglaia is that gives you a guarantee for the cut quality, color, clarity and size of the stone you buy. Even the most reputable Labs state clearly that their paper is not a warrantee or guarantee.
Make sure the offered Aglaia has an original certificate of guarantee and authenticate it with the Aglaia web site.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Good point Gil.

they say each Aglaia diamond accompanied by AGS report.[/u]

adgrande

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!

I scanned the EGL cert, posted it here:

http://64.226.184.174/index.htm

Not sure what to think.. I'm still looking around, and will probably pass on this one.

Dean

Gil

Rough_Rock
Talk to the seller. If they tell you you have the guarantee I suggest you go for it. I don't think you will find any other diamond of this type of quality with a full guarantee for this price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results