shape
carat
color
clarity

A little guidance etc.. please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gezster

Rough_Rock
First I''d just like to start off saying that I have no real experience with diamonds so any help is appreciated. I have been studying the technical aspects for a couple months and browsing the various lists of diamonds on the net. I''ve gone to a couple local stores and looked at a few stones. Mostly to gauge the actual size of the stones. I must admit I do not have an eye for discerning the difference between most stones. My future fiance however does. My goal is to wow her. She already owns several large 1.5+ ct diamonds, which are all G, VS1 etc. She is a doctor whose only vice is jewlery.

First I calculated my budget to be up to 65k. I would prefer to stay in the 40-60k range. Then I figured out the main criteria that will make her go wow. Basically I am looking for a round near 3ct, D-F, VS1 but preferably VVS2 or better, Excellent cut, no flourescence, GIA certified.

I found one stone on the net that seems to meet all of the above with exception of excellent cut. From what I can tell the only reason it is not excellent cut is due to a very thin girdle. Given the right mount the girdle can be protected from chipping. However are there any other concerns I should be aware of?

Here are the specs from the GIA and Sarin Report.

Shape: Round
Weight: 2.87ct
Dimensions: 9.28 x 9.36 x 5.61mm (GIA) : 9.30 x 9.37 x 5.58mm (Sarin)
Diameter: 9.34mm avg (Sarin)
Table: 55% (GIA) : 55.8% (55.3 - 56.3) 5.21mm (Sarin)
Total Depth: 60.2% (GIA) : 59.7% (Sarin)
Crown Angle: 33.5 (GIA) : 33.5 (33.2 - 33.8) Sarin
Pavilion Angle: 41.0 (GIA) : 41.0 (40.9 - 41.2) Sarin
Crown Height: 15.0% (GIA) : 15.0% (14.8 - 15.5) 1.40mm (Sarin)
Pavilion Depth: 43.0% (GIA) : 43.0% (42.7 - 43.2) 4.01mm (Sarin)
Cutlet: None (GIA) : 0.1% (0.01mm) Sarin
Girdle: Very Thin - Medium
Girdle Thickness: 0.9% (0.6 - 1.3) Sarin
Star / Upper: 53.6 : 46.4 (Sarin)

Attached is a picture of the diamond , the sarin report, and the gia certificate. Unfortunately I do not have an idealscope image.
Picture
Sarin
GIA

The price is within my budget @ 60.5k
I''d appreciate any comments or suggestions etc. or if there are better deals to be had I''d appreciate any pointers there too.

Thanks,
Randal

Attachments

• 287_image.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 46

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a D/E 3+ VS/SI1 still be in your budget?

gezster

Rough_Rock
As I mentioned my budget is up to 65k. I do not wish to go above VVS2 but will consider an exceptional VS1. Most 3+ ct stones are outside of my budget. I expect to compromise for something in the 2.5 to 3ct range. I wish I could spend more but I have to set a limit and 65k has my wallet screaming at me.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i should say, it looks really nice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS!

I found one stone on the net that seems to meet all of the above with exception of excellent cut. From what I can tell the only reason it is not excellent cut is due to a very thin girdle. Given the right mount the girdle can be protected from chipping. However are there any other concerns I should be aware of?

Check with the vendor or an appraiser that the very thin part of the girdle isn''t a durability issue, but apart from that it looks very nice!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 3:28:29 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome to PS!

Check with the vendor or an appraiser that the very thin part of the girdle isn''t a durability issue, but apart from that it looks very nice!
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results