shape
carat
color
clarity

A knot in G SI1 diamond

Hi,

Looking for a diamond I saw a GIA G SI1 0.7 carat diamond with Excellent cut and polish and very good symmetry.
However it has a knot (you can see it’s location in the attached photo-no plot for this size). I couldn’t see the inclusion without a loupe. The seller also said that it is possible to place the claw on it and make it totally invisible.

My questions are-
Do I have a durability risk here?
Are the proportions and measurements of the diamond ok? And other characteristics for the diamond to be bright, shine and transparent?

Thanks

44A7CEAA-7D53-45A1-A809-FB0074E9912F.jpeg CAAB4E39-13C8-42E3-9F29-1F5201CC8A17.jpeg 0F9102D9-AF77-42AC-9A79-4EAD5803F678.jpeg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Is the knot right behind the girdle? There's a bunch of posts today related to inclusions and durability issues so worth having a read of those. In terms of visibility, I can't see it bothering the overall performance of the stone. Best to take a look at the stone in person or via videos.

It starts from below the girdle inside the diamond all the way up to the edge of the crown surface.

Do the other characteristics - mainly the proportions - ok?
In addition - I could see that the length and width of the diamond are a little bit higher to the average of 0.7 carat diamonds. Is this diamond too shallow?
The price for this diamond is within the higher range for other SI1 diamonds so I want to make sure I don’t miss something.

thanks

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not a fan of knots and this one sounds like it is in a bad place.
The problem with them is it can get knocked out leaving a cavity which greatly lowers the clarity grade and gets filled with gunk and quickly becomes eye visible.
A well encapsulated one on the pavilion only im ok with, all the others I look at with aversion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its what is considered a flat top. 32.5 with the 59 table.
A lot of people are not fans of flat tops.
They can be very bright but can also lack life.
The 45% stars are not going to help that.
It can also be a durability issue at the thin part of the girdle.

What do you mean by lack of life?
Less light return from the diamond (less sparkles)?
This flat top make the diamond look bigger? More like a 0.75 carat?
With a budget of USD 2.4K would you go with other proportions and inclusions?

Thanks

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
life = sparkle & fire. light show.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results