shape
carat
color
clarity

A few new sparklies :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
The purple zircon.

purple zircon4.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
And this is really nothing like what the iolite looks like, the stone was bright purple in the sun when I was trying to take these pics. I think I need to try pics a different day and will give my hubby his camera back and go a my own. His camera set up a specific way for his work, so I will use that as my excuse to buy a different one---Any opinions on a good camera?

iolite BB round4.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooo, love the spess but need more pics. MUST.HAVE.PICS.
9.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
A rainbow of a few sparklies :)

a rainbow of sparklies.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 3:37:58 PM
Author: Catmom
Oooooo, love the spess but need more pics. MUST.HAVE.PICS.
9.gif

Thanks Catmom!

My track record is not good today with the photo shoot! I am having a terrible time capturing the true colors of the gems that I am seeing while taking the pics---all these were taken today in the sun, with a diffused flash with the camera on a tripod in super macro mode with a macro lens. Any suggestions??? Help, this is driving me nuts
7.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 3:41:39 PM
Author: stepcutnut

All the colors in this pic of off somewhat too.

EX)the small cab on the left in the front row is a gorgeous teal/windex blue color IRL!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

Gorgous!!
30.gif

You take great pics stepcutnut!
36.gif

I want to come play with your gems!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 3:55:01 PM
Author: coatimundi

Gorgous!!
30.gif

You take great pics stepcutnut!
36.gif

I want to come play with your gems!

I wish I could capture the true colors of the gems that I see with my eye, it actually really makes me mad-to the point that I even pulled out the inch thick book that came with hubby''s camera and red through it to see if I could try something different with it! How nuts is that!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to capture the true color of the gemstones in photos???

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Great collection. BTW don''t you have some cool colored diamonds too? It''s hard capturing true colors. You might have to just try a few techniques and various lighting situation to see what works best.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:58:32 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to capture the true color of the gemstones in photos???

I mess around with different lighting environments, until I get it to be pretty close to what my eye actually sees. It''s very frustrating, and it takes me forever! I''m actually pretty obsessive about photographing gems. I don''t like to alter color in photoshop, so I try to make my camera "get it."

Not very helpful sorry! Just play--that rainbow shot is awesome! I have the best luck with diffused natural indoor light.

mochi

Ideal_Rock

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I love it! So pretty!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:06:29 PM
Author: innerkitten
Great collection. BTW don't you have some cool colored diamonds too? It's hard capturing true colors. You might have to just try a few techniques and various lighting situation to see what works best.
Thanks IK!

I do have some colored diamonds :)

I wish I had more time to play around with the camera, maybe my pics would improve.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:47:59 PM
Author: mochi

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I love it! So pretty!

Thanks Mochi!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, they''re all lovely!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:41:58 PM
Author: coatimundi

I mess around with different lighting environments, until I get it to be pretty close to what my eye actually sees. It''s very frustrating, and it takes me forever! I''m actually pretty obsessive about photographing gems. I don''t like to alter color in photoshop, so I try to make my camera ''get it.''

Not very helpful sorry! Just play--that rainbow shot is awesome! I have the best luck with diffused natural indoor light.
I totally feel your frustration! I have tried so many different lighting conditions, I think I am really at a loss, the camera doesn''t capture the true color alot of the time and seems to kill all sparkly too. I don''t even have photoshop, would you recommend it?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:09:46 AM
Author: princessplease
Wow, they''re all lovely!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

I actually built a little tiny light box out of a piece of paper. When I put my stones in it in strong, indirect sunlight the color comes out pretty true. That's how I took the pictures of my ebay tourmalines in the yours v. vendors thread. This is the best picture I have of it, I think it's just printer paper, but I'm not sure, it might be watercolor paper.

I love the new pictures! It looks like your husband's white balance or f-stop are off, there's too much light getting in. I like my cannon point and shoot (A460? maybe?) and the prices on them have come down recently. Yummy rainbow of stones! That green oval (garnet?) is burning out its neighbors!

huehdjkjs1.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:49:35 AM
Author: mercoledi

I actually built a little tiny light box out of a piece of paper. When I put my stones in it in strong, indirect sunlight the color comes out pretty true. That''s how I took the pictures of my ebay tourmalines in the yours v. vendors thread. This is the best picture I have of it, I think it''s just printer paper, but I''m not sure, it might be watercolor paper.

I love the new pictures! It looks like your husband''s white balance or f-stop are off, there''s too much light getting in. I like my cannon point and shoot (A460? maybe?) and the prices on them have come down recently. Yummy rainbow of stones! That green oval (garnet?) is burning out its neighbors!
I may have to build myself a little lite box-thanks :)

I did change the f-stop a lot yesterday to try different settings because that is what I initially thought too and each pic came out even worse than the last!!! His is a Canon PowerShot G6 and he can take gorgeous pics with it, just not me I guess! Thanks on the sparkly rainbow, I need a little tray for the stones next time-they just kept moving around on me. The Green Oval is a Chrome Tourmaline and it really glows in person :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY, I love the rainbow shot! It''s really hard to get the true colors. I have yet to be able to capture the royal purple that my color change sapphire turns into so I sympathise. I take a million shots in all different kinds of lighting situations until I find the one that gives me the closest color. Wish I could help.
7.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:13:45 AM
OH MY, I love the rainbow shot! It''s really hard to get the true colors. I have yet to be able to capture the royal purple that my color change sapphire turns into so I sympathise. I take a million shots in all different kinds of lighting situations until I find the one that gives me the closest color. Wish I could help.
7.gif
Thanks Catmom! I can so sympathize with you, it really drives me nuts
25.gif
I guess I just need to keep on trying new things :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif
DITTO! The collection shot has me drooling on my keyboard! Gorgeous new additions, too!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 11:08:43 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

7.gif

DITTO! The collection shot has me drooling on my keyboard! Gorgeous new additions, too!
LTP-thanks, it is probably a good thing that my hubby doesn''t keep track of my sparklies-not that any one of them is expensive, but he''d think I was nuts anyways!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Tried different lighting and settings on the camera, a little better-but not even close on some of them!

rainbow of sparklies2.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! What a lovely rainbow.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUM, yyuum! What a gorgeous collection!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a magnificent rainbow!
emlove.gif
emrainbow.gif
emlove.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh WOW!! I can look at this all day!! I love it. It just so colorful!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happiness = seeing a new thread by stepcutnut called ''A few new sparklies''
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

That pic of them all lined up is INCREDIBLE!!!
30.gif
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results