shape
carat
color
clarity

A dreamscape from Sea of Cortez and Hisano Shepherd

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yssie your bracelet puts the word "pearls" into a whole new universe I never knew existed. :love: :love: :love:

What a magnificent find, and a very well written story!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! And wonderful write up. Really top notch pearls. Lovely to see them! They are magnificent.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade Yes! These are total total gateway pearls!! :bigsmile:

Faceted, refractive, colored gemstones - they’re all exhibitionists :bigsmile: I think pearls and opals are similar in that if you get a mediocre specimen - you can usually see potential, if you look at it just right from exactly this angle at that time of day. But miss any of those and - “meh”. I started with mediocre pearls and mediocre opals and I spent years wondering how such fleeing, fickle moments of promise could inspire such adoration in so many people…

Then I finally saw a “great” strand of pearls and a couple of “great” opals, and turns out they’re exhibitionists too. They don’t wait for myriad factors to converge to show off - they’re giving you everything they’ve got all the time. Well, okay, most of the time. My Thing is apparently colour - I want to see red and yellow and violet and green all at the same time :cool2:

I want more of these. I want so many more of these.

@Jimmianne Thank you ::)

Life is good at the moment. I’ve got an unexpectedly calm week ahead. I’m doing my best to just enjoy it whilst it lasts :bigsmile:

Thank you @Tartansparkles :bigsmile:

@Slick1 Thank you!! It was so interesting to learn about the farm’s operations - I really hope to be able to visit next summer. My birthday’s in June, perfect excuse for a June harvest trip ::)

We took our first family trip in the US right after I started highschool - Niagara Falls. It was spectacular, of course. The joggers started passing by early afternoon, and I remember wondering if someone whose 5k took him past Niagara Falls every evening even noticed it after a while. This phenomenon that people cross the world to see - mile marker 2.2?

I wonder if one could ever become inured to seeing these pearls. I hope not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame Thank you so much ::) I did take some photos of them loose, and Fernando sent me several as well - I’ll dig them up tonight!

I don’t know what to do with the other pearls yet ::) I’m generally a “one of each type
sort of person, and this bracelet has the pearls I like best… So the remainder are probably destined for something fun :twisted2:

I don’t believe PS supports automatic cross-posting - I'd have to either move the thread or create a new one to link it. I’m planning to take some pearl family pics at some point - those will definitely go to directly to the Pearls subform!

@missy Thank you love :love:

@Matthews1127 That’s you and me both :bigsmile:

@Catmom Thank you!! The colour play is hypnotic in-person… And the idea that they’re wholly untreated, that they come out of an oyster like this, that’s intoxicating… :geek:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Asscherhalo_lover Thank you! Moody and magnificent is a beautiful description :love:

Thank you @bright ice!!

The farm’s yield is so small that they’ve only ever produced a handful of necklaces, most of which contain pearls from multiple harvests - I believe they’ve made 15 now? Just too small to guarantee homogeneity of shape, size, outline, tone, iridescence!

This is actually my only strand of baroque pearls - I’m very glad I went with baroques, it gave us the freedom to embrace differences and unapologetically choose standout pearls, no worries for context or congruity ::)

Thank you so much @alittlelight! ::)

@sunnyside74 Thank you :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm Thank you!! I very much hope to keep this piece around for a very long time :halo:

Thank you @collier :))

@lovedogs Thank you darling :love: I gotta be honest though, you give me too much credit! These pearls smile for the camera and the story all but wrote itself :bigsmile:

And to think that these oysters came close to extinction… Saved by ambition and wizardry. I can’t wait to meet these sorcerers one day.

@Rfisher Thank you so much!! ::)

And yes, I hope so! In the meantime I reported my post and begged for an exception :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 Yup. I’ll ditto, thritto, quadritto that.

The first few times I looked through the site I filtered out all non-Gem grade pearls. Mistake. For two reasons -
A) The shape qualifier always gives preference to rounds… And dents and dimples are are further reductions on off-round shape. But I was after baroques with magical colour play - asymmetric outlines, odd protrusions, and surface contusions weren’t on my #CareAbouts list at all!
B) Enrique, the main grader, is one of the farm’s co-founders and one of the four implanters. So he’s a dreamer, and a designer - it’s not unreasonable that the grades themselves are therefore more art than science. My bracelet has two Gem+ specimens that my eyes believe are more colorful than the majority of the other pearls; I don’t know why they didn’t earn the SN title! As an international consumer - the photography makes it possible for me to not care that they didn’t earn the SN title. Though I can’t lie, I’d have liked a complete set of Gem SNs :devil::bigsmile:

“Lush”. Another descriptor that I’m happy to appropriate :bigsmile:

@mrs-b Thank you love :))

I hope all is… As well as is possible out there. If touching or ingesting pearl nacre had any medicinal value I’d have a sizable portion of my collection on its way out to you… Barring that revelation - I’m happy to have at least provided something soothing for the eyes ::)

@AV_ If you ever write a book - or illustrate a book, as the case may be! - do let me know. I will want to read it.

I had a paua shell bracelet once. Maori name for abalone. Cheapie little thing, bits of shell glued into ill-fitting stamped-as-silver bezels. I used to imagine that must be what Really Nice opals and pearls looked like - only, y’know, all the way ‘round, and without the glue. Then I discovered that abalone is a seafood specialty… And I put the bracelet away. Not entirely sure where - or even what - that line is, but that crossed it :bigsmile:

I don’t have my little UV lamp here :(sad I’m looking forward to seeing the fluorescence when I’m home! I suppose that seals these pearls as the LBDs of jewellery, client meeting to nightclub...

Thank you @arzhay!!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more photos!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some of my set loose (and earrings). I didn't have the four Top Tens yet :))

2_SOC_Loose122 cop2y copy.png

This photo is from Fernando - I purchased all ten, and seven are in the bracelet:

2_SOC_TenLineupLoose.png

Pre-drilling!

2019 Top Ten (certificate #1, pearl #3 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEMPLUSPLUSPLUS_PEACOCK.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #2, pearl #4 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEMPLUSPLUSPLUS_BLUE.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #3, mid pearl in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEM copy.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #4, #13 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_CERT.png

A violet near-round with exceptional lustre (pearl #2 in bracelet lineup) - this one was actually the most pricey of the lot. The violet is exquisite IRL :love:

2_SOC_VIOLET.png

And the obligatory pet pic ::) Still in awe of those colours :love: Pup is not in awe, he thinks I'm holding cheese. The white baby FWs are from Little H.

2_SOC_1.png

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
A few more photos!

Some of my set loose (and earrings). I didn't have the four Top Tens yet :))

2_SOC_Loose122 cop2y copy.png

This photo is from Fernando - I purchased all ten, and seven are in the bracelet:

2_SOC_TenLineupLoose.png

Pre-drilling!

2019 Top Ten (certificate #1, pearl #3 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEMPLUSPLUSPLUS_PEACOCK.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #2, pearl #4 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEMPLUSPLUSPLUS_BLUE.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #3, mid pearl in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_GEM copy.png

2019 Top Ten (certificate #4, #13 in bracelet lineup):

2_SOC_CERT.png

A violet near-round with exceptional lustre (pearl #2 in bracelet lineup) - this one was actually the most pricey of the lot. The violet is exquisite IRL :love:

2_SOC_VIOLET.png

And the obligatory pet pic ::) Still in awe of those colours :love: Pup is not in awe, he thinks I'm holding cheese. The white baby FWs are from Little H.

2_SOC_1.png

They are unbelievable, thank you so much for sharing those pictures, they are thoroughly enrapturing. It's hard to get over that life created those, it's almost beyond comprehension.

The bracelet goes very well with the tiny pearls, too. Charming juxtaposition!

I think I'm having some sort of wheezy moment at the prospect of drilling through any of those. Not sure I'm up for that kind of pressure! :lol:

Also give your dog a glomp from me, he's striking! Those eyes. :kiss2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@yssie No book to be; I did a blog & talks (mercifully, neither on record) during the lab works, & even the dozen people already involved (donors of pearls & of instrument time - allot of both, else I would not have been stubborn enough) did not quite know what to ask, ita sit.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal Thank you!!

And of course you’ve got SoC earrings. You, my dear, have a sampling of everything. Including the darling T&Co. paper cup that I was going to tell you I quite envied in the Happy Hour thread, I’ll just preempt it here instead ::) Back to your earrings… You’ve probably had them for years and years, haven’t you? An early adopter. I must see if I can find them - I know your tastes, they’re fabulous :cool2:

@lkolarik Thank you :bigsmile:

Thank you so much @prs!! These really are pearls like I’ve never seen before - and the complete lack of treatment only amplifies the mystery :love:

The constant hand-washing makes it impossible to just wear around the house - taking them off every half hour is a pain! So I’ve taken to carrying them in my jumper pockets and sneaking them out for a peek every so often… PSers understand :lol:

@elizat Thank you love ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame, @AV_ -

Yes. Exactly. That's what I'm marvelling at most, still - that creatures so much less sophisticated than us are able to create beauty we'd never envision... It's humbling.

I suppose we're all learning to appreciate unexpected things lately. A more witty version of myself might have embraced the introspection and expounded on battling mollusks - #MissedOpportunities :lol:

@AV_ You know you're going to have to cough some of it up at some point :bigsmile: And a picture speaks a thousand words and all that... :halo:

@Lykame Consider him glomped ::)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You know you're going to have to cough some of it up at some point

I will when I might have what to say - as it is now, the questions I have started with are burried for good reason [how natural sacs form, how pearl banks yield, & the origin of layers in keshi early growth]

And a picture speaks a thousand words and all that

You've seen those pictures [in the other post] - they say nothing at all unless I were to write 10000 words as caption to each picture.

On the other hand, I have seen your latest bracellets & they got me thinking: you have some great blacks, goldens & there will be terrific akoya; & combinations exist - golden colour with akoya luster, true black & true optical color - the excess of 'orient'. None of these are particularly obvious jewels & nevermind strands - the mentioned Cartier pin is a typical application. Who cares about such things!

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yssie--I won't HJ your thread but thank you for the kind words. I think I bought the earrings in 2016 and they are from Kojima (dangles with Lake Katsumi pearls). I love them.

Although the Tiffany porcelain cups are very versatile--------they mostly they hold wine. LOL

Enjoy your quiet week and your new gorgeous bracelet!

cheers--Sharon

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, beautiful. Next time I am staying in our villa in San Carlos, I know where I will drive to. Guaymas is just a 15 minute drive away, it's where we go to Home Depot and Walmart for supplies. I've never visited the local pearl farm, but I certainly will plan to, I'd love some gray pearl earrings. =)2

pammbw

Rough_Rock
Bracelet is gorgeous! SOC pearls are incredible

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @yssie , thank you ever so much for sharing these glorious treasures with us :love:

(And kudos on your photography skills which so capably capture the alluring beauty of these wonderful specimens)

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@MiniMouse if/when you eventually go, please take some pictures and give those of us who are far away a peak behind the scenes!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm only going to say this once

learn to knot

it's not hard and will save you money. plus you can redo things, adding in pearls and taking them out as much as you like without mailing things all over the country lol

Douglas has beautiful pearls - such unusual colours that swirl around.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Such a gorgeous new piece and so much thought went into it! I enjoyed reading about the history and your selection process, including your particular favorite pearls. Absolutely beautiful!!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning piece! :kiss2:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Sea of Cortez pearls are beautiful! They are almost as beautiful as your beloved dog's eyes which is saying a lot. :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, these are simply amazing. They are gorgeous and unique and I love the thought and planning that went into the setting.

It’s so glam, understated, elegant, but also just ****ing incredible.

Thanks for telling us about Mabe. I want some now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I see my SMTB lease expired and this thread has been moved to its final resting place ::) (I hear macabre humour is all the rage...)

@AV_ Thank you!!

I had a… Let’s call it a clarifying moment yesterday. I was looking at my still-small-but-so-rapidly-expanding collection of pearls... And I had to ask myself what possessed me to have spent so much on goods that degrade with time and wear. And I have no really sensible answer! “Pretty is as pretty does”? I do think I’ve got enough, though.

I’m enough of a collector to appreciate having Sets. One reason I’ve stayed away from VCA’s Alhambra - not owning all the colours would gnaw at me! I’ve got that Set of pearls, now. I’m sure there will be more that I want - the more one looks the more one inevitably finds! But I can label them “nice to have” rather than “need to have” without waking the devil on the shoulder... :halo:

@canuk-gal Just as I thought - an earlier-than-most adopter ::)

I may just have bought myself a pair of paper cups last week. I wanted the sterling tin can as well (the sheer ludicrousness of it!) but I know how the other half would react to that :bigsmile:

@MiniMouse OMG!! :eek-2: If you go - when you go - ditto @lkolarik, PLEASE post a hundred photos and tell us ALL about it!! You lucky, lucky thing!! :appl:
I’m still holding out hope for a 2021 harvest visit…

Thank you @pammbw! They definitely are ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone Thank you ::) For your always-helpful thoughts and for your very generous compliments ::)

I’ve got half-formed visions of replacing many of these pearls with Top Ten specimens a few years from now, if I’m fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase more in future. But all manner of elective surgeries are off the table for the forseeable future so we’ll see :shifty:

@katbran I laughed reading your post - the remains of my last attempt at stringing are still on the dining table :bigsmile:

I do occasionally think it’d be awfully convenient to be able to do small repairs at home - soldering, stringing. But I don’t see myself ever devoting sufficient time to sufficient practice to becoming proficient, which means that the outcome of sending pieces away will always be superior to what I can achieve myself!

I tend to keep strands as-is once I’ve settled on a “finally final”, so once a piece is finished it’s just maintenance. If I was the sort to want to rejigger frequently the calculation would likely change :))

Thank you again for your thoughts on South Seas in my other thread!

@OdetteOdile Thank you!! I’m definitely drawn more to some pearls than others - and that “some” seems to be changing with time!

I’m finding that I strongly favour the pearls that shock and awe, even if it’s only in one very particular type of light, over those that stay reasonably colourful throughout various lighting environments but have no breakout intrigue...

@GliderPoss Thank you! ::)

@LisaRN Thank you!! He’s a lovebug! Unimaginably unintelligent, but sweet as they come :love:

His sister is the brain of the operation and she’s much more challenging to train and maintain; he'll do whatever she does - carry water bowl to humans when thirsty is a fantastic habit, paw down and nose up to unlatch and open door rather less so :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Thank you love! You know I always value your thoughts ::)

I’m actually really glad you saw this thread - I remember chatting about opals and I wondered if mabes especially might be right up your alley!! They’re generally more colourful than the loose pearls, and they face up huge, and I know you, me, and @SandyinAnaheim have the same soft spot for geographically and culturally indigenous objets d’art...

So I’m pretty chuffed to have guessed right :bigsmile:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Thank you love! You know I always value your thoughts ::)

I’m actually really glad you saw this thread - I remember chatting about opals and I wondered if mabes especially might be right up your alley!! They’re generally more colourful than the loose pearls, and they face up huge, and I know you, me, and @SandyinAnaheim have the same soft spot for geographically and culturally indigenous objets d’art...

So I’m pretty chuffed to have guessed right :bigsmile:

I definitely think so!! I’ve been looking (but upgrading my CBI first).

I wondered though, is this the item you tried to pass off to Mr. Yssie as “oh, that old thing?” :lol::lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wondered though, is this the item you tried to pass off to Mr. Yssie as “oh, that old thing?” :lol::lol:
Might have been one of them :twisted2: Didn’t work of course :oops2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
- not owning all the colours would gnaw at me

This is a very bad instinct for natural pearls - you'd never be done.

I might not be a collector, through years of playing with pearls for free [no limit...], all I could think about was which one would I keep at the end; then, there was no End - I found a new field to dig myself in instead & the time for such a pearl is now. The pin has the right idea for the small pearls that interest me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results