shape
carat
color
clarity

A crying thread and a poll - the ring that got away so what next?

What should my next project be?

• Upgrade to a larger diamond

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Upgrade to a larger 5 stone

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Green Emerald solitaire

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Nothing - you have enough stuff psycho

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a personal decision, but I think these polls are a lot of fun and also I'm sad and need some PS bling friends to commiserate with. My dream ring got away - after much contemplation I had listed my OEC because there was another (larger but still solitaire style) one that I had been eyeing forever and that I wanted. My husband finally said "just get the damn thing" and, as bad luck would have it, when I went to purchase it was gone. GONE. After being around for quite awhile. :(sad:((:blackeye::wall: I told myself if I was unable to get the dream ring I would just keep my current OEC and not sell. But now I am rethinking that because I really was liking the idea of a bigger center stone. Mine is currently 2 ct and I'm looking in the 2.5- 2.85 range (3 pushes the price point way higher).

The other two things that have been on my wish list for awhile are a beefier vintage 5 stone (mine is currently 1.2 would want to go up to 2 or so) and a Columbian emerald solitaire. With the money I have saved up right now, I could buy the 5 stone or the emerald now (I'm ok with moderate oil with emeralds). If I decide on upgrading the oec then I would have to wait until my current one sold (husband was on board for raiding funds for the dream ring, but won't be for 'rebound' ring :lol:).

I was originally saving for a stud upgrade, but started thinking that if I put some serious money into a project, then I want it to be something I can see on my hand. ;)2

What would you guys choose to do? Again, I know it's personal but just curious of your thoughts and having fun with this poll. I'm posting pics of my oec and 5 stone.

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I personally would always start with what it is that you actually really want. If you had to just pick one thing, what would you pick?

For me it's something that I can see. I want to be able to see my jewelry, so it would be the ring.

Are you going to be happy with something that is 2.5 to 2.8? Is that a big enough millimeter difference?

I only ask because I have been kicking around upgrading from my stone, which is over 3 carats, and measures 9.29x8.27. If I go up to a larger stone even if it weighs 5 carats, in some stones (because they are deep old cuts) I'm only going to gain a millimeter each way. I decided that wasn't worth it. Not for the cost.

So I think you need to figure out what size you really want in millimeters and go from there.

I would also try to figure out if you are really wanting the diamond or the other items.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I personally would always start with what it is that you actually really want. If you had to just pick one thing, what would you pick?

For me it's something that I can see. I want to be able to see my jewelry, so it would be the ring.

Are you going to be happy with something that is 2.5 to 2.8? Is that a big enough millimeter difference?

I only ask because I have been kicking around upgrading from my stone, which is over 3 carats, and measures 9.29x8.27. If I go up to a larger stone even if it weighs 5 carats, in some stones (because they are deep old cuts) I'm only going to gain a millimeter each way. I decided that wasn't worth it. Not for the cost.

So I think you need to figure out what size you really want in millimeters and go from there.

I would also try to figure out if you are really wanting the diamond or the other items.

Yes the mm size would be close to 1mm in the higher carat weight but in using the nifty database website https://www.diamdb.com/ it would make a significant difference, at least in the stone in the dream ring. But yes as old cuts tend to be deeper, especially if it's OMC, then the difference can be less noticeable. I feel OECs tend to show the difference more than their cushiony counterparts :) I am also a bargain hunter, so the price of the dream ring given in combo with its stats made it so attractive to me. I would be hunting for another "bargain" if I upgraded the oec.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I'd save up and wait until you can go larger than 3ct. Selling a ring is usually such a hassle that unless you can really bump it up in size (and have the next one truly be the forever diamond) then its not worth it in my opinion. I know you say that 2.5-2.8 will be the last stop, but I have doubts about that when DSS sets in, and it seems like that's not a very big size jump for the amount of effort to sell a stone w/o a trade-up policy. So if it were me, I'd wait and save until I was ready to cross the 3 ct threshold.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Or I'd go with a beefier 5 stone band if you can do it without the diamonds rubbing your adjoining fingers.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I'd save up and wait until you can go larger than 3ct. Selling a ring is usually such a hassle that unless you can really bump it up in size (and have the next one truly be the forever diamond) then its not worth it in my opinion. I know you say that 2.5-2.8 will be the last stop, but I have doubts about that when DSS sets in, and it seems like that's not a very big size jump for the amount of effort to sell a stone w/o a trade-up policy. So if it were me, I'd wait and save until I was ready to cross the 3 ct threshold.

I agree with this. Unless the stone is going to be the end of the road, I would wait and try to see if you can purchase something that is larger. I say that as someone who has gone from smaller stones to larger stones, and is still not totally happy where she has landed.

With no upgrade policy for old cuts, it gets expensive quickly, so what I would personally do is sell the items that you would be willing to part with to purchase whatever the larger stone would be, and then purchase what you think would be the ideal size that you would be happy with at least for a number of years.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I think with old cuts, you need to love the piece as it is, and there's no way to time when another one will steal your heart. I'd hold onto what you have for now.

Does buying the band/emerald ring impact the timeline of when you can obtain the ring of your dreams?

I would rather wait a little longer and really get the piece of jewelry that you want. You can compromise a bit at that point (e.g. compromising a bit on the 4Cs) but I wouldn't get a completely different piece of jewelry to scratch a particular itch. Depends on how much you want the band/emerald.

In terms of the dream size, would you be open to getting a CZ in the 2.5-2.8 range to see if that truly is the dream size for you? Because I also feel like you may want even bigger, but at the same time, you wont know for sure until you dont have it on your finger to experiment with.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Does buying the band/emerald ring impact the timeline of when you can obtain the ring of your dreams?

Yes it would, because I was going to put the $ I had saved toward the dream ring purchase before it got away. But I have also always wanted a larger 5 stone. Good call on the cz idea.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I agree with this. Unless the stone is going to be the end of the road, I would wait and try to see if you can purchase something that is larger. I say that as someone who has gone from smaller stones to larger stones, and is still not totally happy where she has landed.

With no upgrade policy for old cuts, it gets expensive quickly, so what I would personally do is sell the items that you would be willing to part with to purchase whatever the larger stone would be, and then purchase what you think would be the ideal size that you would be happy with at least for a number of years.

I was thinking that the dream ring would be it. But I'm sure many PSers have said that before. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well sometimes I feel that way about myself haha. But nobody voted for that one (yet).

That’s because we all say that to ourselves! I have too many bands and I still browse them and buy more. I can’t stop myself!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can we see a photo or photos of your dream ring? Maybe we could find something like it for you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Can we see a photo or photos of your dream ring? Maybe we could find something like it for you.

I can’t yet for reasons I can’t yet explain, but I’m a week or so I will. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I can’t yet for reasons I can’t yet explain, but I’m a week or so I will. :)

That should have said "in a week or so". I hate my typos esp when I cannot edit them out.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Work on satisfying that itch for the upgraded diamond. From my experience it doesn’t go away until it is scratched. Even if you upgrade and change other things you will still want that upgrade. However if you get the upgrade the other “stuff” may not all be as attractive as before. That’s my experience anyway.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Work on satisfying that itch for the upgraded diamond. From my experience it doesn’t go away until it is scratched. Even if you upgrade and change other things you will still want that upgrade. However if you get the upgrade the other “stuff” may not all be as attractive as before. That’s my experience anyway.

I agree with you and that is the current plan.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If it makes you feel better, I think your current OEC is gorgeous - the proportions look great on your hand and it's perfection with that band. I understand the disappointment in losing out on a stone, and also the itch to buy something. I'd get the emerald as a consolation prize, since it seems like whether or not you buy an emerald, you'd still have to sell your OEC for a diamond upgrade.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If it makes you feel better, I think your current OEC is gorgeous - the proportions look great on your hand and it's perfection with that band. I understand the disappointment in losing out on a stone, and also the itch to buy something. I'd get the emerald as a consolation prize, since it seems like whether or not you buy an emerald, you'd still have to sell your OEC for a diamond upgrade.

Awww thanks @pokerface :)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think something else is waiting to come to you.. everything happens for a reason. I'd keep saving.. the itch to find the one that belongs to you takes well.. as long as it takes! What an exciting adventure <3

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm updating this since @LightBright asked for a pic of the one that got away. The seller told me she would let me know if it became available again; though I never got certainty that it's a done deal with buyer, I am guessing it is since quite a bit of time has passed. So it was this ring:

As above thread explains, I had been pining away for months and other half said "just go ahead" and it was then gone. So I am searching for something similar in the close to 9mm range with that blockiness or with the petal pattern. I love the pattern in Missy's ring and in Tourmaline's. I've looked at some that are similar ctw but the spread is smaller, which is why I am saying close to 9mm.

Depending on certain circumstances, I may not be able to buy until Nov-Dec. Other half was cool when it was the HG ring, but is less supportive of just "ok since we were going to spend that, let's budget that for another one and begin a search". Grrrr. So far this is one that I have been tempted by, but despite requests for more photos, they seem unable to take good ones so I cannot clearly see the faceting (see this thread). I just contacted them again for another video; I think I'm becoming a nuisance but we will see if they send one.

Anyway if you see anything that you think might fit the bill, lemme know. Would like to be in the same $$ range as TRTGA (the ring that got away) which will be tough I think.

tagging @yssie and @Tourmaline and @lulu_ma

Also, for kicks what do you think of this one? Are the inclusions bothersome? I don't think I could get other half on board for it, but if I could it's tempting bc wow almost 4ct.

Another issue but I don't want to make other half seem like an ogre. He in the past has been really supportive of the bling purchases and very admiring of my jewelry. However I think he's taken aback by the "turnover" which has been occurring more since PS :lol: . Tips on validating that would also be appreciated. :lol:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update @Mreader it sucks when the ring you love got away. What a tumultuous journey it's been! And a patient DH haha. I know the exact feeling when I tell mine I want to upgrade!

Haha for kicks that almost 4ct and 10mm spread is a killer. I wouldn't mind the inclusions as my eyes are bad but I'm not sure if the faceting is what you prefer. Do you want the blocky facets or flowery ones?

To spend that much money I'd want to be certain you'd be happy although in saying that, old cuts in that carat range are getting harder to come buy. So if you don't like it - I'm sure someone else will :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update @Mreader it sucks when the ring you love got away. What a tumultuous journey it's been! And a patient DH haha. I know the exact feeling when I tell mine I want to upgrade!

Haha for kicks that almost 4ct and 10mm spread is a killer. I wouldn't mind the inclusions as my eyes are bad but I'm not sure if the faceting is what you prefer. Do you want the blocky facets or flowery ones?

To spend that much money I'd want to be certain you'd be happy although in saying that, old cuts in that carat range are getting harder to come buy. So if you don't like it - I'm sure someone else will :)

I actually like both facet patterns so I am open to both. The ring that I wanted sort of had both depending on the angle at which you looked at the stone.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, I saw that posted on sincity yesterday---it is gorgeous! That being said, I adore your current ring. The style is so iconic!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

So I may have just talked the other half into the 3.98 ;-)

1631070395508.gif

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So I may have just talked the other half into the 3.98 ;-)

1631070395508.gif

OH MY GOSH!!! I am so excited for you :)
So much bling!!! I am so envious of that spread lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results