shape
carat
color
clarity

A Couple Final Questions

JM

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for awhile, trying to absorb as much info as possible, and I think I've narrowed down the choices for my girlfriend's engagement ring.

I found the thread posted earlier today "Please help an idiot" to be very useful as I am looking at something very similar to him - around 4-7K all in for a pave style setting with a single diamond.
Link: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-an-idiot.180957/#p3287226']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-an-idiot.180957/#p3287226[/URL]

I'll likely be going to WF. In the other thread the Legato Sleek was suggested as a setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm
I do like that idea and I'm leaning towards it now instead of my initial thought - the Cathedral Pave.

As far as diamonds, I am looking at an ACA - something similar again to what was given in the other thread. Maybe something like this one:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2803946.htm

I have a couple questions though:
How important is it that the ACA is denoted "eye clean"? I've seen a few other ACA diamonds that were missing this and once I realized they were not eye clean I removed them from consideration. Is that too harsh?
Example: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2805439.htm

Also since my GF's finger size is only 4 3/4, and her hands are fairly small - based on the sizing chart that I've seen floating around here I should look for something in the 0.8 ct - 1.0 ct range. Does something in the 0.8-0.9 range seem reasonable with this setting? I don't want the diamond to look too big for her hand/finger/setting (if that's even possible). Since the Legato is a sleek design would it be better to be closer to a 0.8? I know maybe this is a personal preference type of question but I'm still interested in hearing some feedback..

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
First of all... good for you for doing your homework!
I am NOT one of the experts (But I may be the only one in North America who is still awake... LOL)

I think I can answer 2 of your questions...

As far as the stone being listed as "eye-clean"... I believe that is only something you need to look for if the stone's clarity is SI1 or lower. SI1 means "slightly included, level 1", which means the diamond has inclusions that can be fairly easily seen using 10x magnification (and can POSSIBLY be seen with the naked eye). If the stone is "eye-clean" it means that the stone has inclusions, but you wont be able to see them with the naked eye. (My diamond is SI1 and I cannot see any inclusions... I have tried!) An eye-clean SI1 is often considered the best "bang for the buck" when it comes to diamond clarity.

The stone that you linked as your example (that does not say eye-clean) has a higher clarity grade of VS2. From what I understand, stones that are VS1/VS2 also have inclusions that can be seen using a 10x loupe, but they are hard to spot, and even with the loupe it takes a while to find them. They do NOT have inclusions that can be seen with the naked eye. A stone of this grade would not need to be listed as "eye clean", because the grade itself already tells you it's eye-clean.

As far as diamond size in regards to your GF's finger size... that is totally personal preference!!
My ring finger is a 4.5. I just got a new ring (after 18 years of marriage) and my diamond is a 1.87 ct cushion, and it has a thin halo. I LOVE the size of it on my finger! In my opinion, if the ring can hold it, do not be afraid to go up to a carat. (But often the cost will increase dramatically after the 1.0ct mark, and if that is a consideration, then get a .9-something.) But a 1ct diamond will look very nice without looking huge. Again... that is MY opinion.

Good luck! And hopefully the real "experts" will chime in soon. But it sounds like you are on the right track!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Hey there! :wavey: I'm not an expert either but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. ;)) I think that it's smart to go with a classic solitaire setting if our gf hasn't specifically asked for another design, such as pave, halo, tension set, etc. If you're concerned that she may want something with a bit more bling, you could set the diamond in a inexpensive solitaire setting for the presentation and then allow her to chose a setting of her choice after the proposal.

Ditto what Dougsgirl said about eye clean stones. Typically diamonds above SI1 will be eye clean. There are very rare occasions when an inclusion is visible in a VS2, but at the ct weight you are considering it would be extremely unlikely. White Flash can evaluate the cleanliness of the stone for you and let you know their opinion. It's important to know though, that there are differing opinions of what eye clean means. When a stone is evaluated it is done so from the top view, at normal viewing distances. If you want your diamond to be clean from the side view at 3-6 inches, then it will be important for you to express that to your vendor.

The size of the diamond is personal preference. I'm totally jealous of your gf tiny fingers! A .8-.9 will look lovely and proportionate. :))

JM

Rough_Rock
Dougsgirl|1350547465|3287636 said:
First of all... good for you for doing your homework!
The stone that you linked as your example (that does not say eye-clean) has a higher clarity grade of VS2. From what I understand, stones that are VS1/VS2 also have inclusions that can be seen using a 10x loupe, but they are hard to spot, and even with the loupe it takes a while to find them. They do NOT have inclusions that can be seen with the naked eye. A stone of this grade would not need to be listed as "eye clean", because the grade itself already tells you it's eye-clean.

Ahhh. That makes perfect sense. So everything that I looked at that was VS2 or better I was automatically excluding!

One more Q related to ordering: Is there anything that I should make sure I ask WF about when placing the order? Along the lines of things that people usually don't think about but ends up being important.. I know that's kind of vague but I just want to make sure all the bases are covered..

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats and thank you for researching and asking intelligent questions! You definitely did your homework and it paid off! :) :appl: Definitely post up the pics when you get the ring!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations JM! I think you made a fantasic choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the finished ring when you get it! She's a lucky girl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results