shape
carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished "Book Thief" by Markus Zusak - LOVED IT!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1371155971|3465271 said:
packrat|1370659418|3461327 said:
Zoe, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware is his character) and John Sanford (Lucas Davenport) do detective novels. Also look at Robert B Parker, his Sunny Randall is a female private investigator like Grafton's Kinsey, and his Jesse Stone is a police chief.

Thanks for the recommendations, Packrat! I'll check them out. I know my mom reads Robert B. Parker and possibly Jonathan Kellerman, and since we like a lot of the same authors/books, I'll see if she has any I can borrow.

I just started reading Robert B. Parker. I think I have read three or four of his books now and I am quite fond of his cast of characters: his protagonist, Spenser, who boxes well but also cooks great meals; his wife, Susan Silverman; and his dog, Pearl, after whom he has to clean up.

I started out with John Sandford's "Virgil Flowers" series and loved it. When I first moved to the "Lucas Davenport" "Prey" series I found it very jarring. That series is far more brutal and graphic than the Virgil Flowers series. I did not like Lucas Davenport at all in the early books (whereas I loved Virgil Flowers at once). Lucas Davenport grew on me although the series remained graphic and I found myself addicted to it.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
violet3|1371273250|3466325 said:

Oh, violet- this book...this book! It's another soul-burrower. One of my very favorites.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Deb. I'll try Virgil Flowers series but I think I'll skip the other one (I can't do brutal and graphic).

I just finished reading Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani and it was really good. This is the second book I've read by her and I'm looking forward to reading others. I have Big Stone Gap waiting on my bookshelf. I just began Summer Breeze by Nancy Thayer. It's too early to tell how I like it so far. I had planned on reading Jodi Picoult's newest book, The Storyteller, but I can't find it. It'll turn up somewhere.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1371316416|3466509 said:
violet3|1371273250|3466325 said:

Oh, violet- this book...this book! It's another soul-burrower. One of my very favorites.

I'll have to check this one out, too. I've never heard of it but after seeing this post, I googled it. It sounds really good.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Borrowed 4 books from a neighbor. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, Story of B by Daniel Quinn (already finished those, excellent), Johnny Cash biography, and Moby Dick because I've never read it. OMG love to read. Am ferociously reading every single thing I borrowed.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
One of my favorite books is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron. Fabulous read.
Also love Pat Conroy's Beach Music and Prince of Tides.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone have a favorite to suggest? Love historical fiction, or a good drama.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babs23r|1372035074|3471093 said:

I don't generally read historical fiction, although I read a great deal of fiction set in the past. However, I do, highly, recommend Nicholas & Alexandra by Robert K. Massie if you have not yet read it. I found it absolutely compelling!

PS-I, also, loved Prince of Tides.

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another book I really enjoyed was December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith. The entire book takes place on one day-December 6, 1941-in Japan. It is an adventure story, but against a very well-researched background.

Deb/AGBF

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1372038342|3471117 said:

I don't generally read historical fiction, although I read a great deal of fiction set in the past. However, I do, highly, recommend Nicholas & Alexandra by Robert K. Massie if you have not yet read it. I found it absolutely compelling!

PS-I, also, loved Prince of Tides.

Deb/AGBF
Thank you! Will check it out. :read:

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I just reserved Nicolas and Alexandra. Can't wait to read it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1370896804|3462877 said:
MC|1370890951|3462792 said:
What Grisham would you recommend? I want to grab a paperback for my trip.

I was going to recommend The Testament, but I won't. I went and refreshed my memory with some Amazon Book reviews. There may be faster paced Grisham books than The Last Juror, but I think it combines a fast pace with some meaning. If you like it, you can always find other quickie reads that are just for fun. If anyone wants a really thoughtful read or is Christian...or an alcoholic...he might enjoy The Testament. Some readers on Amazon hated it. Others, like me, found it deeply moving.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

I must have become confused as I ended up buying The Firm, which I realized was a movie that I watched a number of years ago. I made in into 20-30 page range on our flight, but then became ansy and did something I normally never do - I drew mustaches all over the in the Alaskan Airlines flight magazine. :D My husband asked me if I was bored. Not sure if it was the book or the anticipation of arrival and having fun for a few days w/out the kids, but I couldn't concentrate or get into the book. Have about 160 pages left of Swan Song...then will figure out if I should try The Firm again. I'm kinda feeling Girsham isn't my thing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1370980334|3463609 said:
VRBeauty, I'll have to check out Jan Karon's books.

MC, probably my favorite John Grisham book is The Firm. I'm not sure if it was his first book but it was the first book I read (a long, long time ago).

Zoe - I ended up with this book on my flight. It may have been the timing as I was FREE to be wild and crazy w/out the kids so it was hard to get into on a flight. I will try again after Swan Song. If not, I'll hunt around. We bought a stack of books at the used book store and my son and I are both going to read The Running Man (he's actually 2/3 through it) and that will be fun. We tried to read another book at the same time, but he couldn't get into it (Firestarter). He's into Michael Crichton and we've read a few of those and he likes Stephen King but he is too young to read some of the books. I can't wait until he's old enough to read The Stand, b/c that is an awesome book, along with the Talisman.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Devil in the White City - not historical fiction but history - told in a riveting manner. You'll wish it had been a fictional account.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a brief detour from the re-reading Jan Karon's Mitford series to catch up with the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - I just finished the latest in that series, The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection. I think each of these series can best be described as "comfort" literature... fairly simple but well-written stories in which the plots almost secondary to the characters, and you can rest assured that good will triumph in the end. I guess that's just what I need now! I always wait for the latest of the No. 1 books to come out in paperback, and pass it on to my sister-in-law when I finish reading it. I'm not sure exactly where it goes from there, but I know it will make several more stops on its journey.

Here's the link to Alexander McCall Smith's website - just in case you could use a nice musical interlude! http://www.randomhouse.com/features/mccallsmith/main.php

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely read fiction anymore, so I'm near to finishing "Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life" by Allen Frances, and have just started "Time No Longer: Americans After the American Century" by Patrick Smith. The first one, well, the title pretty much says it all. The second is a series of essays about Americans' somewhat uniquely dysfunctional relationship to our own history - as in we supplant and repeatedly extend myths for actual historical knowledge. (MUCH more to it than that of course) Both are extremely thought-provoking.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1372055319|3471199 said:

Devil in the White City - not historical fiction but history - told in a riveting manner. You'll wish it had been a fictional account.

When I read your recommendation, VRBeauty, I realized I had one other recommendation, a similar book to the one you recommended. The book which I am recommending is not similar in setting or plot, but Is similar in being non-fiction rather than fiction. Mine took place in the recent past, however. The book is, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. It was recommended to me when I was planning a trip to Savannah, Georgia with my daughter a number of years ago and I have to admit that it is highly evocative of Savannah as well as an exciting story!

Now I am hooked on the idea of reading Devil in the White City. I can't believe I never heard of it before! Thanks for the heads up!

Deb/AGBF

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372069217|3471219 said:
VRBeauty|1372055319|3471199 said:

When I read your recommendation, VRBeauty, I realized I had one other recommendation, a similar book to the one you recommended. The book which I am recommending is not similar in setting or plot, but Is similar in being non-fiction rather than fiction. Mine took place in the recent past, however. The book is, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. It was recommended to me when I was planning a trip to Savannah, Georgia with my daughter a number of years ago and I have to admit that it is highly evocative of Savannah as well as an exciting story!

Now I am hooked on the idea of reading Devil in the White City. I can't believe I never heard of it before! Thanks for the heads up!

Deb/AGBF

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a great book. Loved that one. It was made into a movie staring Kevin Spacey, which is worth watching after the book.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Which time periods do you like? I just looked my books over...funny that about 1/3 are dystopian and another 1/3 are historical fiction. One that is a short read, but good is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I love all time periods if the book is well written. I love Richard Yates with his commentaries on the state of relationships in the 1950''s, as well as turn of the century novels such as American Eve by Paula Uruburu, which is the story of Evelyn Nesbit and her relationship with Sanford White. Read tons of books on the Elizabethan Era. I'm up for anything good!!!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
babs23r|1372104031|3471486 said:
I love all time periods if the book is well written. I love Richard Yates with his commentaries on the state of relationships in the 1950''s, as well as turn of the century novels such as American Eve by Paula Uruburu, which is the story of Evelyn Nesbit and her relationship with Sanford White. Read tons of books on the Elizabethan Era. I'm up for anything good!!!!

They're pretty popular standbys but have you read the Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth duo or any Phillipa Gregory?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
DS- I'm coming back to report that I have started Wizard's First Rule. And put it down again. Unfortunately, there are several issues I'm coming across that I just can't get over and I am probably not going to finish it. After developing some rather strong opinions as I read, I did check out some other reviews on Goodreads- seems like my issues are fairly common and it's a love it or hate it kinda series.

Oh well, you win some you lose some :cheeky:

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
aviastar|1372111109|3471584 said:

They're pretty popular standbys but have you read the Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth duo or any Phillipa Gregory?
Yes, I have read those books and enjoyed them! :read:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babs23r|1372113817|3471608 said:
aviastar|1372111109|3471584 said:

Yes, I have read those books and enjoyed them! :read:

James Alexander Thom is my favorite historical fiction writer. Many of his books center around Native Americans and their experiences with pioneers. Fascinating stuff.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those who read David Baldacci's books, is there a certain order they should be read? I've never read his books but I noticed that there are a few series with different characters. I'd like to read each series in order but I'm not sure which books come first.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1372376041|3473452 said:
For those who read David Baldacci's books, is there a certain order they should be read? I've never read his books but I noticed that there are a few series with different characters. I'd like to read each series in order but I'm not sure which books come first.

I think I have read all his books, but I'd have to go to Amazon and look up people's book lists if I wanted to try to keep all the many threads of books straight! He isn't someone like James Lee Burke or John Sandford who has two or three protagonists; he has a huge collection of 'em! There's the Camel Club crowd; King and Maxwell; the new sniper who has taken up with a teenage girl. Forgive me if I don't want to get in over my head. I mean, I'm already in over my head and I just finished one of the books! They're entertaining, but I guess not memorable. At least I don't seem to remember most of them!

Deb/AGBF

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372378818|3473475 said:

I think I have read all his books, but I'd have to go to Amazon and look up people's book lists if I wanted to try to keep all the many threads of books straight! He isn't someone like James Lee Burke or John Sandford who has two or three protagonists; he has a huge collection of 'em! There's the Camel Club crowd; King and Maxwell; the new sniper who has taken up with a teenage girl. Forgive me if I don't want to get in over my head. I mean, I'm already in over my head and I just finished one of the books! They're entertaining, but I guess not memorable. At least I don't seem to remember most of them!

Deb/AGBF

Ok, thanks, Deb. I thought there were just a couple of protagonists. I saw books about King and Maxwell and another series about Will Robie. I guess I'll just dive in when I'm finished what I'm reading now. I'll also look elsewhere online and see if I can figure out which book is first in the King and Maxwell and the Will Robie series.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1372442186|3473812 said:
AGBF|1372378818|3473475 said:

Ok, thanks, Deb. I thought there were just a couple of protagonists. I saw books about King and Maxwell and another series about Will Robie. I guess I'll just dive in when I'm finished what I'm reading now. I'll also look elsewhere online and see if I can figure out which book is first in the King and Maxwell and the Will Robie series.

I actually went to Amazon last night, Zoe, and was surprised to see that there were only two books so far in the Will Robie "series". (That's the one about the sniper and the teenage girl that I mentioned above.) For some reason I had thought that one of the titles I read recently was another in the Will Robie series, but it turned out to have been in the John Puller series. John Puller is sort of Baldacci's copy of Lee Child's Jack Reacher character, but I don't care. I read these books to be entertained. The John Puller books are pretty entertaining.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, Zoe...and anyone else who wants to start reading Baldacci books in order. If you want to read the Will Robie "series" (of two): read The Innocent first and then The Hit. If you want to read the John Puller "series" (of two) read Zero Day first and then The Forgotten. Other books by Baldacci have different characters and I have not looked any of them up.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results