color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411|1370451570|3459501 said:
aviastar|1370442088|3459381 said:
Kelinas|1370388368|3459051 said:
I'm all over the range when it comes to reading. my favorite author is Nora Roberts, also when she pens as JD Robb.

as for book series, I loved the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It is a.long, detail oriented series but awesome. So if your into fantasy books, I'd recommend it :)

The Terry Goodkind books certainly show up so often I should just go ahead a read them- is it terrible that I was turned off way back when I was rambling the stacks at the local library waiting for a ride and I thought the covers were cheesy? And I've just never taken the time to reinvestigate? Terrible, right? :blackeye:

Aviastar - You really SHOULD read his books. I am working on re-reading them now along with the ones I'm going to mention in my next post. I enjoy fantasy that isn't over the top, like LOTR. This is similar. No Unicorns or overly made up creatures. The magical essence to it is just that... magical. The story line follows a very moralistic code of truth, honor, bravery, and liberty. I just love this series and have always considered it one of the best in fantasy writing.

Ok, I looked them up again and now I remember- I watched the TV show based on these books without knowing they were based on these books, and I really enjoyed it. I read some commentary- here on PS and elsewhere- that the first book is great, but the series got repetitive. So I walked away again. But I'm going to officially put it on the list now, at least the first one, and give it an actual read!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1370472017|3459696 said:
Thanks aviastar, I've actually already read The Road, but will add on the 5th wave. I've read the whole hunger games trilogy and world war z (which I did like a lot). I would recommend Cronin's The passage and The twelve if you like that sort of genre.

Thanks!

MC said:
Watership Down is a FABULOUS book...not sure if I'd consider it dystopian. I always thought it was more about bunny mafia.

I'm with you- not dystopian in my opinion, although I suppose you could make the argument that it does involve re-building a society after the Sandleford Warren. But it is one of my very all time favortitest books ever. I re-read it at least once a year. Every bunny in my yard is named Fiver. DF, I see this one your list this summer, too- go ahead and bump it up on the list and read it next; you won't regret it.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife|1370448628|3459459 said:
Circe|1370387626|3459047 said:
Freda Warrington just finished out her Elflands trilogy, and I really love it. Like Storm Constantine and Elizabeth Hand had a baby.

Freda Warrington has been on my radar ever since I read a review for the first in the series on one of the review blogs I visit. Circe, could you tell me a little bit about the story arc? I've gotten pretty gun-shy about series that start out in a promising way, and then end up with everyone I cared about a) dead, or (if the it's the female MC) b) raped--because character growth for the heroine is only possible, apparently, if she suffers sexual trauma.

Non-spoilery details, pretty please?

I would be gun shy, too! A) is the main reason I don't even care if GRRM writes the next SOIAF book...there are so very few people left that I even care about finding out what happens to them. I've only run into B) once, in the Juliette Marillier Sevenwaters series. And I found it hard to read, but it wasn't totally out of place in the story for me. I enjoyed the series overall and it wasn't a theme, by any means. And that's not a spoiler, if anyone is interested in the series, it won't ruin anything. Geez, you are seeing a trend of this? I find that appalling.

Have you tried the Graceling books by Kristin Cashore? Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue; dark elements for sure, but no rape for growth and I don't want to give away any endings, but they are satisfying, not frustrating.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
aviastar|1370550157|3460379 said:
I would be gun shy, too! A) is the main reason I don't even care if GRRM writes the next SOIAF book...there are so very few people left that I even care about finding out what happens to them. I've only run into B) once, in the Juliette Marillier Sevenwaters series. And I found it hard to read, but it wasn't totally out of place in the story for me. I enjoyed the series overall and it wasn't a theme, by any means. And that's not a spoiler, if anyone is interested in the series, it won't ruin anything. Geez, you are seeing a trend of this? I find that appalling.

Have you tried the Graceling books by Kristin Cashore? Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue; dark elements for sure, but no rape for growth and I don't want to give away any endings, but they are satisfying, not frustrating.

I hear you on the GRRM. It's one of the reasons I gave up on him, too. When you open a brand new book thinking, "I wonder which of my remaining favorite characters is going to bite the dust in this one?" you are probably better off reading something else.

And on b), yes, it does seem to crop up often enough in urban fantasy, SFF, and related genres that it's almost a not-very-funny joke. With the Sevenwaters series, at least in Daughter of the Forest, it seemed like an important part of the story. In some books it seems pretty gratuitous, but not in that one, I don't think.

I read the first two of the Graceling books, and really enjoyed them. I haven't gotten around to Bitterblue, yet, but it's in my TBR pile, so thank you for the reminder!

If you like mysteries and fantasy, have you read Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, yet? http://www.goodreads.com/series/51937-peter-grant

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
someone mentioned the Gunslinger series. I loved it. Not the ending, I was fricken ticked off at the ending. King has some short stories in other books that relate to Roland and his earlier days. I'm of the mind that they're making a mini series based on the books..how, I don't know, it would take weeks-they'd have to do long movies like LOTR. Not sure I'd watch it anyway, b/c I still can't watch the tv version of The Stand, but I'm going to give Under the Dome and 11/22/63 a go b/c I'm not so emotionally involved w/the characters.

Aviastar, I promise you will love Swan Song. I've read it so much, it has pages falling out of it, and I can't say enough good about it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I focus so much in school and on homework that I've been reading mysteries lately. I've made it through all of Sue Grafton's alphabet series and Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy the caterer series. Right now I'm in the middle of Cookie Dough or Die (can't remember the author). I've also been meaning to get back to finishing the rest of Clive Cussler's series with Dirk Pitt.

Some of John Grisham's stuff is great. Others.... not so great.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1370455779|3459546 said:
dragonfly411|1370451712|3459503 said:
Currently:
The Bible
King Lear
Terry Goodkind's Temple of the Winds

By the end of the summer I plan to have finished:
The Canterbury Tales
Paradise Lost
Watership Down
Le Morte De Arthur
Romeo and Juliet
Shakespeare's Sonnets
Eat Pray Love
And at least two parts of The Divine Comedy

Just doing a little light reading there, dragonfly? Do you take the books to the beach with ya? I can imagine how your neighbors on the nearby blankets would react. Actually, they may not even have heard of some of those books! Kudos to you!!!

Deb
:read:

AGBF - Yes and yes lol. Actually I once had a PROFESSOR explain to us what formula fiction is (Nora Roberts and the like, nothing wrong with them, but they follow formula). Here is where it was wrong. She then told us that NORMAL people read Nora Roberts and Fern Michaels for fun and if you're on the beach with War and Peace or The Inferno there is obviously something WRONG. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: I was sitting at my desk with a book of religious philosophy *which I was too young to fully understand but even so). I got up and walked out. They still count that class credit against me.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
To further clarify my choices right now:
I took a European Lit class last semester that focused on Wollstonecraft, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Conrad's Heart of Darkness and what not. So there is a class that focuses on pre 1750 literature as well that I am hoping to take in fall. Frankenstein was GREATLY influenced by Paradise Lost, and I read pieces of it in the class but want to read the whole. The class covers Canterbury Tales and Shakespeare. I want to read The Divine Comedy b/c it also influenced many of these writers and because I think it's important to read the things that have helped to develop writing over the centuries.
So there it is, why I read heavy stuff!

I keep seeing Jodi Piccoult and might have to read some of hers.
I also like Sue Monk Kidd's writing.
Some of the things I normally have liked or do like:
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Once and Future King
Watership Down (I read this annually)
Lord of the Rings (read it periodically)
A Pirate of Exquisite Mind ( True story of a naturalist turned pirate)
Harry Potter
Twilight (yep read it and loved it)
50 shades - of course, and what a GREAT playlist I've created from that
The Da Vinci Code
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
The Firebringer Trilogy
The Last Unicorn
and of course Terry Goodkind's books.
Also ANYTHING by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Once and Future King
Watership Down (I read this annually) ditto!
Harry Potter these books have a permanent home on my shelf and in my soul
Twilight (yep read it and loved it) me too! :oops:
The Da Vinci Code
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
The Firebringer Trilogy
The Last Unicorn this one has been on my list for a while, I love the movie!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1370468841|3459663 said:
O

I need a few good mysteries/private eye books to balance things out. I'm way behind on Sue Grafton's books. I also usually check out Janet Evanovich's latest book in the summer, too.

I love all the Sue Grafton books!!! the last one she wrote was a bit disappointing but the one before it was awesome!!!!!

here are 3 of my favs from what I read. I did read a few others but they were just meh!!!!

11-22-63 S. King
the Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware is his character) and John Sanford (Lucas Davenport) do detective novels. Also look at Robert B Parker, his Sunny Randall is a female private investigator like Grafton's Kinsey, and his Jesse Stone is a police chief.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I just finished reading a bunch of books by Connie Willis and enjoyed them all very much.

Bellweather - about a scientist at a (made-up) company in corporate America who is researching how fads start. It's a much better book than my synopsis.

"The Doomsday Book", "To say Nothing of the Dog", "Blackout" and "All Clear" all deal with time travel. They have some of the same secondary characters but different main characters so can be read independently of each other, except for Blackout and All Clear which are parts 1 and 2 of the same story.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1370631386|3461046 said:
To further clarify my choices right now:
I took a European Lit class last semester that focused on Wollstonecraft, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Conrad's Heart of Darkness and what not. So there is a class that focuses on pre 1750 literature as well that I am hoping to take in fall. Frankenstein was GREATLY influenced by Paradise Lost, and I read pieces of it in the class but want to read the whole. The class covers Canterbury Tales and Shakespeare. I want to read The Divine Comedy b/c it also influenced many of these writers and because I think it's important to read the things that have helped to develop writing over the centuries.
So there it is, why I read heavy stuff!

You just blow me away. You really do. You remind me of my husband, who-although he is crazy with no judgment-is a true intellectual. He read Dante in Italian, being Italian, and now wants to read as many philosophers' works as he can in the language in which they wrote them. I think he may have read Nietzsche in English before he started this kick, but would now have read him in German. He read all of the Marquis de Sade's works in French. When he was young, he was a classics scholar so he read all the classical literature in the original Greek and Latin and, being the person that he is, forgets nothing. I read a synopsis of The Divine Comedy when I saw you were reading it, and the synopsis adjured readers to use the notes lest they not know the difference between a Guelph and a Ghibelline as Virgil leads Dante through the circles of hell. I am sure my husband remembers everything-everything-about his Dante! He would not need any notes. He could write the notes. I, on the other hand, am in awe of you. You are reading many things that I had hoped to read in my lifetime.

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1370637504|3461125 said:
dragonfly411 said:
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Once and Future King
Watership Down (I read this annually) ditto!
Harry Potter these books have a permanent home on my shelf and in my soul
Twilight (yep read it and loved it) me too! :oops:
The Da Vinci Code
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
The Firebringer Trilogy
The Last Unicorn this one has been on my list for a while, I love the movie!

aviastar - I feel very much the same about Harry Potter. My sister and I have contemplated tattoos that would follow the theme. She is very dark, with a darker wild side, vs. I am fair skinned and haired and very quiet, pure, innocent. So we thought about having lumos for me and knox for her on our backs of our necks, with our "patronus" I.e. a dragonfly for me and an owl for her, both have deep rooted meannings for us. But we'll see if that ever happens.

P.S. You should definitely read the last unicorn. Great read and the movie was very well done to follow the story line.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
AGBF - That is very kind of you to say. I actually feel behind. I have a friend who is very much like your hubby. He's been a close friend for many years and he dwarfs me in his "have read" list. It's a personal goal of mine to conquer my giant reading list of doom. :shock:

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently reading Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (by the COO of Facebook) and Sherryl Woods's Sweet Magnolias series (contemporary romance).

(And I just now noticed that both authors have the same first name, although they spell it differently.)

I started and then put down Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow, which is about intuitive versus rational decisionmaking. I'm hoping to pick it up again on vacation this summer.

Zoe said:
Nora Roberts' Brides' quartet (This sounds like a romance series but I don't think they're supposed to be trashy romance novels. You know the kind, the ones with Fabio's hair blowing in the wind. I'm NOT into those. :bigsmile: )
The Brides quartet is a fun series--definitely closer to chick lit than the old, familiar category romance novels from Harlequin. If you like these, you might enjoy a few other contemporary romance authors, too.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LittleRiver! That's what I thought (about the Brides Quartet). I do like chick lit, some more than others. I'm reading Adriana Trigiani at the moment, but the Nora Roberts' books are on my bookshelf, waiting for me.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1370549356|3460365 said:
rosetta|1370472017|3459696 said:
Thanks aviastar, I've actually already read The Road, but will add on the 5th wave. I've read the whole hunger games trilogy and world war z (which I did like a lot). I would recommend Cronin's The passage and The twelve if you like that sort of genre.

Thanks!

MC said:
Watership Down is a FABULOUS book...not sure if I'd consider it dystopian. I always thought it was more about bunny mafia.

I'm with you- not dystopian in my opinion, although I suppose you could make the argument that it does involve re-building a society after the Sandleford Warren. But it is one of my very all time favortitest books ever. I re-read it at least once a year. Every bunny in my yard is named Fiver. DF, I see this one your list this summer, too- go ahead and bump it up on the list and read it next; you won't regret it.

True. Watership Down could be considered bunny distopia! Lol It is one of very few books my husband and I both like. We recommend books to each other and it almost always ends up being torture for the other. We both also liked The Hobbit, but that's about it. He was appauled by To Kill a Mockingbird and I spent six months banging my head against the wall trying to make it through Return of the King.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1370579187|3460724 said:
I focus so much in school and on homework that I've been reading mysteries lately. I've made it through all of Sue Grafton's alphabet series and Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy the caterer series. Right now I'm in the middle of Cookie Dough or Die (can't remember the author). I've also been meaning to get back to finishing the rest of Clive Cussler's series with Dirk Pitt.

What Grisham would you recommend? I want to grab a paperback for my trip. I'm still reading swan song but don't want to read it while at the overbusy airport. It's a better book for night reading and in quiet locations. It's not pool-side reading. Lol

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm re-reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I gobbled up each of these books as they came out, and I've re-read one or two since then, but this will be the first time that I'll be reading them all through in sequence in a short time frame. It's a nice gentle start to summer reading for me... after which I'll probably hit the murder mysteries!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1370890951|3462792 said:
What Grisham would you recommend? I want to grab a paperback for my trip.

I was going to recommend The Testament, but I won't. I went and refreshed my memory with some Amazon Book reviews. There may be faster paced Grisham books than The Last Juror, but I think it combines a fast pace with some meaning. If you like it, you can always find other quickie reads that are just for fun. If anyone wants a really thoughtful read or is Christian...or an alcoholic...he might enjoy The Testament. Some readers on Amazon hated it. Others, like me, found it deeply moving.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1370579187|3460724 said:

What Grisham would you recommend? I want to grab a paperback for my trip. I'm still reading swan song but don't want to read it while at the overbusy airport. It's a better book for night reading and in quiet locations. It's not pool-side reading. Lol

I remember NOT liking The Painted House. I couldn't tell you now what exactly I didn't like (been 15 years or so) but I think pacing was one of my big issues there.

I liked AGBF's suggestions. Those were good books. I'll run down to the shelf they're on and see if I can find a couple more that were great.

Tami Hoag did a couple that were really good too. I found them similar in style to a Mary Higgins Clark.
My favorites are Ashes to Ashes and Dust to Dust.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1370685712|3461414 said:
I just finished reading a bunch of books by Connie Willis and enjoyed them all very much.

Bellweather - about a scientist at a (made-up) company in corporate America who is researching how fads start. It's a much better book than my synopsis.

"The Doomsday Book", "To say Nothing of the Dog", "Blackout" and "All Clear" all deal with time travel. They have some of the same secondary characters but different main characters so can be read independently of each other, except for Blackout and All Clear which are parts 1 and 2 of the same story.

Connie Willis is a good female sci-fi writer. I read The Doomsday Book and then enjoyed Impossible Things, which is a collection of short stories. I can't remember if I read anything else after those two books...I did make it part of the way through To Say Nothing of the Dog, but was side-tracked.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1370896804|3462877 said:
What Grisham would you recommend? I want to grab a paperback for my trip.

I was going to recommend The Testament, but I won't. I went and refreshed my memory with some Amazon Book reviews. There may be faster paced Grisham books than The Last Juror, but I think it combines a fast pace with some meaning. If you like it, you can always find other quickie reads that are just for fun. If anyone wants a really thoughtful read or is Christian...or an alcoholic...he might enjoy The Testament. Some readers on Amazon hated it. Others, like me, found it deeply moving.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Thanks. I'll check Amazon reviews.

One of the best books I've read I'm pretty sure you recommended, which was the Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver. I went on to read many of her other books, however, none had such elegant writing as the Poisonwood Bible.

I have some basic go-to authors I've read the majority of books written by, such as Alice Hoffman and Tracey Chevalier, which are great for summer reading.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1370968248|3463458 said:
I have some basic go-to authors I've read the majority of books written by, such as Alice Hoffman and Tracey Chevalier, which are great for summer reading.

Oh, I forgot about Tracy Chevalier! I read several of hers a while back; my favorite is still Girl with the Pearl Earring. She is great summer reading; nice female focused historical fiction.

Which reminds me I also wanted to add Geraldine Brooks to the thread; I've read The Year of Wonders and The People of the Book and enjoyed them both, the latter the most. Historical fiction, interesting settings in lots of different time periods and areas of the world.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1370968248|3463458 said:
One of the best books I've read I'm pretty sure you recommended, which was the Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver. I went on to read many of her other books, however, none had such elegant writing as the Poisonwood Bible.

Thanks for the feedback, MC. I'm so glad you liked that! Since you liked that, I believe you will like The Testament, but don't use it for poolside reading. Use The Last Juror for that!

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty, I'll have to check out Jan Karon's books.

MC, probably my favorite John Grisham book is The Firm. I'm not sure if it was his first book but it was the first book I read (a long, long time ago).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
MC|1370967901|3463455 said:

Connie Willis is a good female sci-fi writer. I read The Doomsday Book and then enjoyed Impossible Things, which is a collection of short stories. I can't remember if I read anything else after those two books...I did make it part of the way through To Say Nothing of the Dog, but was side-tracked.

You should pick it back up again. All of her time travel books are good reads.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1370659418|3461327 said:
Zoe, Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware is his character) and John Sanford (Lucas Davenport) do detective novels. Also look at Robert B Parker, his Sunny Randall is a female private investigator like Grafton's Kinsey, and his Jesse Stone is a police chief.

Thanks for the recommendations, Packrat! I'll check them out. I know my mom reads Robert B. Parker and possibly Jonathan Kellerman, and since we like a lot of the same authors/books, I'll see if she has any I can borrow.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kismet|1371155543|3465263 said:
MC|1370967901|3463455 said:

You should pick it back up again. All of her time travel books are good reads.

I really enjoyed Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog. However, I loathed Passages and disliked Bellwether, which was supposed to be terribly funny but I found it dull and predictable, in a sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results