carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1375463564|3495360 said:
aviastar|1374430419|3487308 said:
How funny that this thread should pop up again today- I just finished a book I wanted to share and was going to dig it up again!

I haven't tried any Georgette Heyer, yet, any particular titles to start with, ladies?

I've finished several enjoyable, fluffy, little fantasy books over the last few weeks. Castle in the Air, a companion novel to Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynn Jones; always a nice read, but I still love Howl the best. The Selection and The Elite, by Keira Cass; super light, fluffy, easy reads. Technically dystopian, but princess dystopian; I'll read the last book in the series when it comes out next year and gave them solid 3 stars each on Goodreads.
?

oooh, Princess Dystopian...I've never heard of that genre before... :) lol Is it worth trying one of those stories out?

I'm pretty sure I just made that genre up! But those books are, literally, about a dystopian society after the collapse of North America that has reinstated monarchies. The monarchies sit atop a caste system and when the heir is a Prince they hold a Selection- a 'random' drawing of one girl from each region, so the Prince can choose a wife from among them, regardless of caste. So, a Dystopian Princess Academy meets The Bachelor.

I just checked and you can sample them on your Kindle; I think they're worth checking out for pure entertainment value. They are not deep, or thought provoking, or even particularly intelligent (although I definitely wouldn't class them as dumb, either). Fluff, pure fluff. But enjoyable, vacation from reality, fluff that I will pick up again when the last book is published.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1375464997|3495381 said:
Last night my daughter said she wished that Griffin (our Newfoundland) could talk and I asked her if she remembered what happened when Martha wished that Carrie the cat could talk in Half Magic. If you haven't read that book, you must. It is, nominally, for children-or perhaps young adults. I read it outloud to a fifth grade class. But I can reread it as an adult and enjoy it anytime.

I just wanted to add that I wrote this while you were writing, dragonfly. I hadn't, yet, read your remarks to me!

Deb
:read:

Deb, I loved Edgar Eager's books when I was younger. Half Magic was one of my favorites.

I finished The Innocent by David Baldacci and I want to read The Hit. I also just read the first in his King and Maxwell series, Split Second. It was good but I was a little confused by the end. I just started Come Home by Lisa Scottoline and although I'm not too far into it yet, it's pretty good so far.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1375641482|3496462 said:
I loved Edgar Eager's books when I was younger. Half Magic was one of my favorites.

Did you ever read the E. Nesbit books that inspired him? I went on to do that and found great joy in them, too, Zoe.

Zoe|1375641482|3496462 said:
I finished The Innocent by David Baldacci and I want to read The Hit.

I am inferring from that that you enjoyed The Innocent. I am glad, I hate to recommend books that do not work out for the reader.

I finished Silken Prey by John Sandford. I enjoyed it and am wondering if the author expects to bring back Taryn Grant in his next book. It seems unlike him to have let her off the hook unless he plans to make use of her in the future.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read a paperback that had been on my bookshelf for a long time. It is The American by Andrew Britton. I also own his next book, The Assassin, and plan to read it now. I probably bought them when Amazon Books suggested that, based on my reading habits, I would like them. I believe that Mr. Britton is quite a young man and I think he did a good job writing an action thriller. (I did notice some minor errors such as his referring to Iranians as Arabs, but that is small potatoes.)

I really recommend this book to people who like a face-paced, well-written fiction book about terrorism in modern times. By the way, the terrorist is not a Muslim!

AGBF
:saint:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought her back in another book.

A coworker brought in a bag of books for me to read. A couple Tami Hoag books, so I'm looking forward to that. I've read a couple others by her years ago and enjoyed them.

Just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. It was ok. Worth the read but a little frustrating at times.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
My chief rabbit, and at least one yearling or doe are back out! They have been taking silflay fu inle' like I thought. The chief, or perhaps he is just a large owsla like thlayli, has been staying until just sun up at the edge of the trees. Saturday night when I went to go answer the call for the shooting, he was in the yard and hopped towards the trees when I turned on my truck lights. I guess what they say of cats is true, and they are only dangerous if you don't see them, because we have an orange tabby hanging out, and the rabbits I am sure have smelled and seen him, but don't seem to mind. I think he hunts mice, lizards and small things mostly. Lord knows there are plenty of bugs.
What's funny is they are back and I have just finished reading Watership Down.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, just wanted to add something a little different to this thread.

Currently reading Zone One - By Colson Whitehead, dont think I'm going to make it through it. Literary novel about Zombies so the premise is interesting.

My favourite book is Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler. It also has a sequel called Parable of the Talents. Near future, semi post apocalyptic. Amazing.

For light summer reading I would read the Fourth Real Trillogy - The Traveller, The Dark River, and The Golden City By John Twelve Hawks. A bit sci fi, a bit thriller, a bit philosophical. Very fluffy but also very fast paced and very good. And if you research into the author, you'll see there was a bit of mystery surrounding him as well.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I thought I'd just stick a toe in here because I'm almost finishd with an enjoyable book. I haven't participated here as I tried a few books recommended on a previous book thread and I didn't like them much. One was Brooklyn. I thought the premise of the book , Irish Catholics coming to America vs the life they lived in Ireland was off. I know of no Irish Catholic who would have been like that, or Italians in the book for that matter, so I thought I'd better keep to my usual detective/mystery books.

I very much enjoy authors first books. I think they are usually special, perhaps uncomplicated in some ways, but usually interesting. I went to a resale shop last week and came home with a new boatload of books. This one is called Table for Five, bby Sean Hardie. It was written 1n 1990, and I laughed because it still holds true for today. The author is English, went to Cambridge, and then worked for the BBC. I learned a lot about Isreal, a story with a lot of information., I hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

Happy Reading Ladies(of course you're ladies??

Annette

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a lady LOL

ETA I realized you meant an author's first book published.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reading Graceling now. Enjoying it very much. Thanks to all who recommended it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1376786409|3505039 said:
Deb, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought her back in another book.

I had not yet read, The Assassin when I read your comment, packrat, but realized you were ahead of me in your reading as soon as I saw that comment. ;)) Now that I am aware that Mr. Britton has written at least two, maybe three, books more beyond The Assassin that I have not read I am wondering just how far ahead of me in your reading you are!

Have you read all his books?

I plan to read them, so don't tell me the plots! I just want to know about your reading preferences!!!

I am currently reading Creole Belle by James Lee Burke, which I have been waiting to read. He is one of my favorite modern authors. I love his descriptive writing and his conscience. This book came out months ago, but I wanted my own copy...in paperback!

Deb/AGBF

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, The Assassin, who wrote that? It's not ringing a bell w/me.

I won't tell you any plots in books, I promise! I like sci-fi/fantasy, like Piers Anthony and Alan Dean Foster, and Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms. Detective/mystery books, like John Sanford, James Patterson, Ed McBain, Tami Hoag, Jonathan Kellerman, Robert B Parker. Jan Burke is good, and Lee Child thrills me no end w/his Jack Reacher series. Horror, Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon. And my staples of Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and Little House.

But then I also like...I don't know what the genre they would be considered..Belva Plain and Jennifer Weiner and Kristin Hannah, Sydney Sheldon. Plain and Sheldon have some that the novels are continuations of families in other novels-I love that. And they have some that like 100 years of a family is chronicled in just one book-I dig that too.

I don't read a lot of non fiction. Or..I guess I'd say I don't read it at all. ETA-unless books about serial killers and other murderers count.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1377820847|3512182 said:
Deb, The Assassin, who wrote that? It's not ringing a bell w/me.

packrat, packrat...now I read it!!! You are a mischief maker!!! ;))

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Blackprophet- thanks for the recommendations! I looked up John Twelve Hawks and the books seem to be in the love it or hate it camp in the reviews. One review said they were very Stephen King-esque- do you agree? I like dystopian, but don't much care for King's work.

Good to see you, smitcompton! I think we've touched on several genres in this thread, so hopefully find something you like! Any specific genres you'd like recommendations for?

Yay, Gypsy! I've re-read all three of those books this year, too. They are very fun!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1377883417|3512543 said:
Yay, Gypsy! I've re-read all three of those books this year, too. They are very fun!

I'm on the third today!! Loving them so far. Great "coming of age" women hero books.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1377889843|3512577 said:

I'm on the third today!! Loving them so far. Great "coming of age" women hero books.

Just saw, "coming of age". I hadn't been tuned in because I thought we were talking about dystopian stuff. Are we? I love, "coming of age". I'm trying to remember the female columnist from, "The New York Times" (Irish) who wrote some books I loved. I don't think she writes for the Times any longer. It isn't Mo Dowd!

Deb

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Blackprophet- thanks for the recommendations! I looked up John Twelve Hawks and the books seem to be in the love it or hate it camp in the reviews. One review said they were very Stephen King-esque- do you agree? I like dystopian, but don't much care for King's work.

The only SK (not Steven Kirsh! lol) book I have read is Brother Odd. So I can't really answer your question.
Most of the hate it camp is in the "its fluff" from what I have seen. So if you go in not looking for a literary masterpice, I think you'll ne ok. I saw someone describe them as "very cinematic" which I always felt was the best discription. Its like a mix between The Matrix and Any Clive Cussler (Sahara, inca gold, etc.) and The Da Vinci Code in book format. I think it is a stretch to call it dystopian. Its sort of pre-distopian, if you read it, you'll get what I mean. Lots of parallels to the way the world is now.

If you want a good, well written (IMHO!), beautiful coming of age book, read "The Ruins of California" by Martha Sherrill.

I'm not one to call a book beautiful, but a really beautiful book is Ontisha by J.M.G. Le Clezio. Loved it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Graceling books are coming of age. But with a little romance and in a fantasy world setting. Right up my alley, personally. But might be a bit fluffy for others.

I'm not a fan of dystopian stories as a general rule. Although I enjoyed the Mockingjay series (before it got so popular). But it is the exception not the rule for me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for supplying more info on the Graceling books, Gypsy. I obviously read about magic in children's books (see discussion of Edward Eager's books above). I'm not sure whether I would like it in an adult book. I may just have become close-minded...surely I once read science fiction or fantasy?

At any rate, I did look up the author of the coming of age book I had been trying to recall. It was Anna Quindlen. The book I read, and enjoyed, of hers was Object Lessons. I read some reviews of it by readers on Amazon. I read it over 20 years ago with a book club. After reading the reviews it has come back to me and I side with the people who loved it. If you like coming of age books, it is worth a try.

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few pages back in this thread, aviastar and violet3 briefly discussed The Book Thief. I had had a paperback copy of it on my bookshelf for a few years and had been meaning to get to it, but had not yet done so. Their discussion made me yank it from underneath some other books that should be read, and when I finished Creole Belle, I started that.

So far it is intriguing and has made me want to keep reading. I was surprised it was such a recent book (from 2006); for some reason I had thought it was much older.

Creole Belle was a wonderful book, but I expect no less from James Lee Burke. Perhaps I can give it a more thorough review at another time!

Deb/AGBF

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1377709295|3511377 said:
Hi,

I thought I'd just stick a toe in here because I'm almost finishd with an enjoyable book. I haven't participated here as I tried a few books recommended on a previous book thread and I didn't like them much. One was Brooklyn. I thought the premise of the book , Irish Catholics coming to America vs the life they lived in Ireland was off. I know of no Irish Catholic who would have been like that, or Italians in the book for that matter, so I thought I'd better keep to my usual detective/mystery books.

I very much enjoy authors first books. I think they are usually special, perhaps uncomplicated in some ways, but usually interesting. I went to a resale shop last week and came home with a new boatload of books. This one is called Table for Five, bby Sean Hardie. It was written 1n 1990, and I laughed because it still holds true for today. The author is English, went to Cambridge, and then worked for the BBC. I learned a lot about Isreal, a story with a lot of information., I hope the ending doesn't disappoint.

Happy Reading Ladies(of course you're ladies??

Annette

Smitcompton - If you like first timer books, you might look into Norton's Ghost by R. Canepa. He is a local author to me and Norton's Ghost is his first. It is such a great read. I could not put it down. It offers a real look into lives of "homeless", but from the perspective of someone who his voluntarily so. I could not put it down.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
blackprophet|1377892093|3512593 said:

The only SK (not Steven Kirsh! lol) book I have read is Brother Odd. So I can't really answer your question.

Brother Odd is by Dean Koontz so you are still safe from King.

I really wanted to like Koontz but I think he is unable to write or pace a good ending. In his good books, he can carry the suspense very well until he trips and falls on his face trying to write a good ending. His bad books tend to be rather disgusting or seriously twisted (not in a good way).

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I can speak completely negatively of King. IT is still one of the most chilling books I've read.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I just finished a great book - post-apocalyptic. Virus = vampires (petrifying ones, not sparkling ones, :lol: ).

It's called "The Passage" and is the first of a three book series. I've started the second, "The Twelve," but the third isn't released yet. It's due out in Feb 14, I think. The author is Justin Cronin.

The author's writing style is extremely engaging. I immediately looked him up on Book Depository and ordered another 6 of his books! He's the author of "Coraline," on which the (terrifying) children's movie was based.

Apparently the book's movie rights were purchased for $1.75 million and the "Cloverfield" director ha been hired to direct. Guesstimates suggest a release date in 2016, so you've got a couple of years to read it before it hits the big screen! :))

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1378241333|3514151 said:
blackprophet|1377892093|3512593 said:

Brother Odd is by Dean Koontz so you are still safe from King.

I really wanted to like Koontz but I think he is unable to write or pace a good ending. In his good books, he can carry the suspense very well until he trips and falls on his face trying to write a good ending. His bad books tend to be rather disgusting or seriously twisted (not in a good way).

OOPS, your right. I guess i have never read SK. I liked the ending of Brother Odd, but that is also the only Dean Koontz book I've ever read. So I don't have a reference.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1378309164|3514381 said:
I just finished a great book - post-apocalyptic. Virus = vampires (petrifying ones, not sparkling ones, :lol: ).

It's called "The Passage" and is the first of a three book series. I've started the second, "The Twelve," but the third isn't released yet. It's due out in Feb 14, I think. The author is Justin Cronin.

The author's writing style is extremely engaging. I immediately looked him up on Book Depository and ordered another 6 of his books! He's the author of "Coraline," on which the (terrifying) children's movie was based.

Apparently the book's movie rights were purchased for $1.75 million and the "Cloverfield" director ha been hired to direct. Guesstimates suggest a release date in 2016, so you've got a couple of years to read it before it hits the big screen! :))

I've heard good things about this one too, it's on my list. But I believe that Coraline was written by Neil Gaimen, who also wrote Stardust ( which I loved).

I've recently finished another vampire/end off the world book: The Hallowed Ones, by Laura Bickle. It was good, original setting, but it felt a bit like a set up for the second book which is also out now; the pace could have been much faster. I have high hopes that the second book kicks it into high gear.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1378478371|3515618 said:

I've heard good things about this one too, it's on my list. But I believe that Coraline was written by Neil Gaimen, who also wrote Stardust ( which I loved).

I've recently finished another vampire/end off the world book: The Hallowed Ones, by Laura Bickle. It was good, original setting, but it felt a bit like a set up for the second book which is also out now; the pace could have been much faster. I have high hopes that the second book kicks it into high gear.

Ooooh I totally have to write all these down and see if our library has them or will get them for me. :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Coraline is Neil Gaiman, who is fantastic!

Justin Cronin's books are very good. After reading The Passage (back when it first came out; I've read the second book and am really looking forward to the third!), I read a couple of his other books as well. I think these books are his best, though.

I remember at about the same time there was another vampire trilogy that came out (the first one about the same time as The Passage), by Guillermo del Toro. The first one was decent, they're called "The Strain" trilogy. I actually liked the first one quite a bit. Cronin's The Passage is a more "literary" horror book; del Toro's was overall simpler and less complicated. The Strain books fell off sharply IMO after the first one; enough that I didn't read the third. But many people do seem to enjoy them. The Cronin books are really good though, I think.

I'm a bit of a freak reader, I read a lot :) I've actually wanted to jump in over here for awhile...figured now was as good as any other time. I LOVE horror, but I'll read just about any type of fiction. I like chick lit for light reading (Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes, etc etc), but I will vary a lot in what I'm reading. Two of my all time favorites are The Time Traveler's Wife and Never Let Me Go.

I'm going to start checking in here more often for recommendations, so hello to all of you :). I look forward to seeing what you're reading!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1378205743|3513901 said:
A few pages back in this thread, aviastar and violet3 briefly discussed The Book Thief. I had had a paperback copy of it on my bookshelf for a few years and had been meaning to get to it, but had not yet done so. Their discussion made me yank it from underneath some other books that should be read, and when I finished Creole Belle, I started that.

So far it is intriguing and has made me want to keep reading. I was surprised it was such a recent book (from 2006); for some reason I had thought it was much older.

I finished The Book Thief tonight. Once I started it, it was hard to put down. Very compelling reading; I enjoyed it.

Deb

justginger

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1378478371|3515618 said:

You're RIGHT. I had glanced at my giant stack o' books from Book Depository and swapped two of the authors/titles. :twirl:

I wish I had more time to read, but with uni and work, it seems that most of my reading is centred around required literature at the moment. After my mid-terms next week, I'll have time to start on the complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I've only read the first one, which was brilliant, so looking forward to the next four).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results