shape
carat
color
clarity

A Blue Sapphire Journey

mpc

Rough_Rock
@Rad_Fan I would definitely not consider myself an expert by any means! So I’ll defer to others for their expertise (thanks @deorwine and @T L for weighing in).

Unfortunately I’m not able to take pictures of the final stone from the underside because it went out in the mail today! Now the long wait for a ring to come back (ack, DK said 45 to 60 days!).

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
Pardon me while I pick my jaw up of the floor! It is just perfect!

Reactions: mpc

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
This is the most beautiful shade of blue.

Sparklers

Rough_Rock
My hunt for a blue sapphire started 7 months ago. I have always wanted a nice blue sapphire since it is my birthstone. But I’ve never actively pursued one. Through my PS ‘education’, I knew I wanted a pretty large stone (I already had a dream setting in mind) that was either an elongated cushion or oval, unheated, medium toned (not too dark) with vivid saturation that would not black out in low lighting. By chance, I came across a stone on Enhoerning Jewelry that was within my budget and seemed like a good buy. Although that stone was not the one, it ultimately started my blue sapphire journey. After ordering and returning 4 different stones and reviewing videos and pictures of countless others, I have finally found the one!

I believe @whitewave and @voce have recently had good experiences with Inken from Enhoerning jewelry and I have to give her credit for helping me find my sapphire. Over the last 7 months, after my initial purchase (and return), Inken would occasionally check in on me with new finds that she would discover from her suppliers or if she was attending gem shows. There was never any pressure to buy, mostly just FYI “look what I found”. If I expressed interest, she was always willing to take more photos or more videos in all kinds of lighting conditions I requested. And any purchase came with a reasonable (domestic) return window. Most notably, she found me a 3.6 ct unheated Burmese sapphire with AGL certificate for an amazing price. But alas, it was too small. Naturally the biggest tradeoff was color/expectation versus budget.

A few weeks ago, Inken reached back out and offered to look in Vegas at JCK. I told her I probably wouldn’t be buying a stone at this time (life was kind of busy) but if she found something really spectacular, to email me and I might be tempted. She emailed me on the first day of the show with a stone that took my breath away: 4.61 carats, unheated Madagascar, GRS ‘cornflower blue’.

Some things I leaned along they way:
1) blue sapphires are shifty!!! I found I had to see the stone in person and find one that would look good even in my abysmal office lighting.
2) patience is key. I was not in any hurry so as long as I worked with vendors (I purchased and returned sapphires from other vendors, not just Inken), with reasonable return policies it was a no risk scenario.
3) don’t settle. There were several stones that were ‘good values’ but one thing or another gave me the slightest reservation (an inclusion, poor performance in certain light, or size). Despite the ‘good value’, I returned the stones because they weren’t my dream stone.

Anyways sorry for the wordiness.Here are some pics!!
39938F7C-BB78-4C0E-9D7D-D6957FE5FE3C.jpeg

upload_2019-6-7_16-57-34.jpeg
That is unbelievably gorgeous!!! I have been mulling over a sapphire engagement ring instead of a diamond for a while now. If I’m not being too intrusive would you mind sharing how much a sapphire like that would cost approximately??

Thanks ;))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed Inken has a smaller sapphire from this batch on IG today. Heads up.

The center looks color zoned/markedly less saturated than the edges, but for certain would have checked it out in person, had I not already committed to a $$$$ setting I wasn't planning on.
Hope somebody here does.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center looks color zoned/markedly less saturated than the edges, but for certain would have checked it out in person, had I not already committed to a $$$$ setting I wasn't planning on.
Hope somebody here does.

Right, me too. I could make it a pendant, but I’m out of the market right now.

mpc

Rough_Rock
0A1034F6-9C78-4A92-B43B-FCFC61B32E84.jpeg FB35D311-45CC-448D-9CED-D8C65811FFBB.jpeg D1995A02-4340-4B6D-B34D-5CE70581A3CE.jpeg 69CC6124-A5CC-4D69-A6C0-9DB2A051028C.jpeg Finally! The ring is done! I haven’t seen it yet but David sent me pics yesterday as well as a video. For once, I wish Monday wasn’t a holiday so it could ship out sooner. Probably won’t get it until Wed

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow wow wow!! What a stunning setting for your beautiful stone.
Happy waiting!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Breathtaking! :shock::kiss2: I know it will be a long wait til Wed for you. Congrats on your heirloom worthy Gorgeousness!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
:appl:It turned out lovely!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply BEAUTIFUL!!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0A1034F6-9C78-4A92-B43B-FCFC61B32E84.jpeg FB35D311-45CC-448D-9CED-D8C65811FFBB.jpeg D1995A02-4340-4B6D-B34D-5CE70581A3CE.jpeg 69CC6124-A5CC-4D69-A6C0-9DB2A051028C.jpeg Finally! The ring is done! I haven’t seen it yet but David sent me pics yesterday as well as a video. For once, I wish Monday wasn’t a holiday so it could ship out sooner. Probably won’t get it until Wed
That is one epic sapphire ring, congratulations! The stone is a perfect shade of blue, to my eye, I also like the medium-toned blues :)

mpc

Rough_Rock
Wow wow wow!! What a stunning setting for your beautiful stone.
Happy waiting!

Thanks! @Acinom your French cut settings inspired me to have one of my own. I can finally join the club!

I was wondering who the lucky owner was! It's amazing!
Thank you! Can’t wait to see it in person!

Breathtaking! :shock::kiss2: I know it will be a long wait til Wed for you. Congrats on your heirloom worthy Gorgeousness!

Yes! It’s been a long wait (almost 3 months) but the last few days always seem the longest
Absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you!
:appl:It turned out lovely!
Thanks!!
Simply BEAUTIFUL!!
Thank you!
That is one epic sapphire ring, congratulations! The stone is a perfect shade of blue, to my eye, I also like the medium-toned blues :)
Thank you! Sapphire is my birthstone so I’ll be getting it in time to count it as an early birthday present to myself!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think it will look so stunning irl. Pls post lots and lots of pics when you get it! :kiss2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah. Stunning!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it Wednesday yet :appl:

mpc

Rough_Rock
42226D66-4C5B-4AF3-B45E-582A36B01CA8.jpeg 0058B0A7-6550-4C8C-97F1-926030FE7AEA.jpeg A37C4BEC-090D-4381-9FFA-4A808796F0B1.jpeg
It’s Wednesday! And I bet the UPS guy rarely gets greeted with a smile as big as mine! I practically ran down the sidewalk as soon as I saw the truck pull up. The ring is super sparkly and prettier in person than I imagined! The whole thing took about 3 months. Having the French cuts is a real test of patience since those settings take longer. DK also had to go back and add milgrain and micropave to the gallery, which added 2 weeks but it was all worth the wait!

Here are 3 pics so far: 1. Sunlight. 2. Blah office light. 3)shaded indoor light

Will try to take more pics later today! Back to “work” while I stare at my fingers

Module

Shiny_Rock
AMAZING!!! This is my DREAM blue sapphire ring, it is perfect in all aspects! :clap:

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
42226D66-4C5B-4AF3-B45E-582A36B01CA8.jpeg 0058B0A7-6550-4C8C-97F1-926030FE7AEA.jpeg A37C4BEC-090D-4381-9FFA-4A808796F0B1.jpeg
It’s Wednesday! And I bet the UPS guy rarely gets greeted with a smile as big as mine! I practically ran down the sidewalk as soon as I saw the truck pull up. The ring is super sparkly and prettier in person than I imagined! The whole thing took about 3 months. Having the French cuts is a real test of patience since those settings take longer. DK also had to go back and add milgrain and micropave to the gallery, which added 2 weeks but it was all worth the wait!

Here are 3 pics so far: 1. Sunlight. 2. Blah office light. 3)shaded indoor light

Will try to take more pics later today! Back to “work” while I stare at my fingers

WHAT a colour! Absolutely stunning! :-o

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good god, this is stunning!!! Congratulations!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WoW!!! The result is even more stunning than I could imagine from the pics. What a beauty. Amazing blue colour and a gorgeous setting. Love love love. Can we see the micropave in the gallery?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, my!! Love it! :love: :love: :love:

mpc

Rough_Rock
3E6022CA-C11A-465A-A722-95824E961149.jpeg 8D069235-F143-461B-94B6-3476AAEAF1B2.jpeg
AMAZING!!! This is my DREAM blue sapphire ring, it is perfect in all aspects! :clap:

Thank you! I’ve been dreaming of this ring for a long time too! I probably shouldn’t have splurged on another ring this year but the stone came my way and seemed like one I would regret not purchasing. And once I purchased the stone, how could I NOT set it?

WHAT a colour! Absolutely stunning! :-o
Thank you!
Best ring ever.
Stunning photos - the stone and ring is amazing!
Wow!
Thanks!!!
Good god, this is stunning!!! Congratulations!!!
Thank you!!
WoW!!! The result is even more stunning than I could imagine from the pics. What a beauty. Amazing blue colour and a gorgeous setting. Love love love. Can we see the micropave in the gallery?
Yes, I also added micropave to the prongs and the whole thing is more delicate in person than I imagined. I tried to take some pics with my phone! DK also added milgrain all along the prongs which adds some visual interest top-down.
Oh, my!! Love it! :love: :love: :love:
Thank you!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy crap I want to drink that sapphire with a straw!!!! It's utter perfection. Congrats on owning such a marvelous piece.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, absolutely gorgeous! Saw the video on instagram, which is pretty amazing too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results