shape
carat
color
clarity

A Blue Sapphire Journey

mpc

Rough_Rock
My hunt for a blue sapphire started 7 months ago. I have always wanted a nice blue sapphire since it is my birthstone. But I’ve never actively pursued one. Through my PS ‘education’, I knew I wanted a pretty large stone (I already had a dream setting in mind) that was either an elongated cushion or oval, unheated, medium toned (not too dark) with vivid saturation that would not black out in low lighting. By chance, I came across a stone on Enhoerning Jewelry that was within my budget and seemed like a good buy. Although that stone was not the one, it ultimately started my blue sapphire journey. After ordering and returning 4 different stones and reviewing videos and pictures of countless others, I have finally found the one!

I believe @whitewave and @voce have recently had good experiences with Inken from Enhoerning jewelry and I have to give her credit for helping me find my sapphire. Over the last 7 months, after my initial purchase (and return), Inken would occasionally check in on me with new finds that she would discover from her suppliers or if she was attending gem shows. There was never any pressure to buy, mostly just FYI “look what I found”. If I expressed interest, she was always willing to take more photos or more videos in all kinds of lighting conditions I requested. And any purchase came with a reasonable (domestic) return window. Most notably, she found me a 3.6 ct unheated Burmese sapphire with AGL certificate for an amazing price. But alas, it was too small. Naturally the biggest tradeoff was color/expectation versus budget.

A few weeks ago, Inken reached back out and offered to look in Vegas at JCK. I told her I probably wouldn’t be buying a stone at this time (life was kind of busy) but if she found something really spectacular, to email me and I might be tempted. She emailed me on the first day of the show with a stone that took my breath away: 4.61 carats, unheated Madagascar, GRS ‘cornflower blue’.

Some things I leaned along they way:
1) blue sapphires are shifty!!! I found I had to see the stone in person and find one that would look good even in my abysmal office lighting.
2) patience is key. I was not in any hurry so as long as I worked with vendors (I purchased and returned sapphires from other vendors, not just Inken), with reasonable return policies it was a no risk scenario.
3) don’t settle. There were several stones that were ‘good values’ but one thing or another gave me the slightest reservation (an inclusion, poor performance in certain light, or size). Despite the ‘good value’, I returned the stones because they weren’t my dream stone.

Anyways sorry for the wordiness.Here are some pics!!
39938F7C-BB78-4C0E-9D7D-D6957FE5FE3C.jpeg

upload_2019-6-7_16-57-34.jpeg

Attachments

• 68553282-7014-4E54-B719-554B7FE2F240.jpeg
    68553282-7014-4E54-B719-554B7FE2F240.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 149
  • upload_2019-6-7_16-54-6.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-7_16-54-6.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 197
  • upload_2019-6-7_16-55-18.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-7_16-55-18.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 152
  • F5E4F344-5252-4637-A3D2-FDEB748D3899.jpeg
    F5E4F344-5252-4637-A3D2-FDEB748D3899.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 157

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! :shock: That color!!!

Reactions: mpc

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some things I leaned along they way:
1) blue sapphires are shifty!!! I found I had to see the stone in person and find one that would look good even in my abysmal office lighting.
2) patience is key. I was not in any hurry so as long as I worked with vendors (I purchased and returned sapphires from other vendors, not just Inken), with reasonable return policies it was a no risk scenario.
3) don’t settle. There were several stones that were ‘good values’ but one thing or another gave me the slightest reservation (an inclusion, poor performance in certain light, or size). Despite the ‘good value’, I returned the stones because they weren’t my dream stone.

One of the best newbie posts ever!!! Such words of wisdom!! Speaking of words, they fail me to describe the.beauty of that stone. It belongs in a museum. :love:

Eady

Rough_Rock
Wow!! That is an amazing stone - definitely worth holding out for!!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:shock: That’s gorgeous!!! Your patience paid off!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love: Amazing color, wow!

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I just love this whole post so much!!!! :kiss2: Absolutely gorgeous sapphire!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! That's gorgeous! :love:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I saw the stone on her IG and so glad you came back to review it with us. More pictures please! What does it look like in low light setting?

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, this one was certainly worth the wait! What are your setting plans?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that one on IG! It’s gorgeous!!! I can’t wait to see the ring you make.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait o see how you set it. It’s gorgeous! Congrats!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shut the door.
Awesome score.
And I’m sore.
Not really. But kinda. No-I’m happy for you!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an amazing colour!!!!!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
:razz: Absolutely beautiful sapphire. I can’t wait to see it set!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Stunning stone!! :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty sapphire. And well done, it certainly pays to have patience and wait for the one that makes your heart sing. Many of us have “rashly” compromised only to have the disquiet eventually wear us down to impel us to buy “what we really wanted” at unnecessary extra financial cost!

mpc

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your compliments!

So for like 10 years, I have wanted a ring with tapered French cut sides. I don’t think I believed the hype back when everyone was raving about them (circa 2011...I don’t post much but I’ve lurked on PS for a long time), but after I saw them in person, I was hooked and dreamed of saving for a ring with that design and a sapphire. So that is what I have planned for the stone!

I will try to take more pictures before it ships out on Monday, including low lighting conditions.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, looking forward to seeing more pics :dance:.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a glowy treasure! So happy for you!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your compliments!

So for like 10 years, I have wanted a ring with tapered French cut sides. I don’t think I believed the hype back when everyone was raving about them (circa 2011...I don’t post much but I’ve lurked on PS for a long time), but after I saw them in person, I was hooked and dreamed of saving for a ring with that design and a sapphire. So that is what I have planned for the stone!

I will try to take more pictures before it ships out on Monday, including low lighting conditions.

Are you thinking along the lines of @snotty_pie’s setting here?https://www.pricescope.com/communit...apphire-ring-with-tapered-french-cuts.241799/

I think your stone would look amazing in this kind of setting!

mpc

Rough_Rock
@alene yes exactly! I actually first fell in love with this type of setting with what I consider to be one of my all time favorites on PS : Art Nouveau’s Paraiba ring https://www.pricescope.com/communit...urmaline-in-leon-mege-french-cut-ring.151081/

It started two dreams: a Paraiba and a sapphire with that setting ( more likely than finding a Paraiba large enough for that setting). So after finally deciding to splurge a little on myself, I managed to check both boxes in a relatively short time frame

As promised some more pics! The Texas sun makes it unbearably hot outside but makes for some cool glowy pictures . I also took one for @Rad_Fan in low lighting (closet, no light on).

upload_2019-6-8_14-32-35.jpeg
upload_2019-6-8_14-33-32.jpeg
upload_2019-6-8_14-35-8.jpeg

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that colour! Absolutely gorgeous, it really shows how patience can really get you the right stone. I'm drooling! :kiss2:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the glow. The sapphire is amazing. Congratulations on a stupendous find!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
What a fantastic stone! It's obviously one of the 'Kashmir-like' stones that have recently been coming out of Madagascar. The colour reminds me also of the vivid blue cobalt spinel from Vietnam.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
I want to eat your sapphire like a pc of candy! :P2

It’s measured 10/9 mm ish?

Doesn’t seem to cut very deep like many others!?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Thank you! I see blue from the 1st picture too. It preforms pretty consistently and I love it :love:! Did Inken video the gem outside of JCK for you on IG? I heard once that vendors at the show won't allow the gems to be viewed outside of the center...? It's nice that she did that for you.

I saw a very nice looking one from another online vendor but the blue is kind of washed out under indoor incandescent light even though it looks awesome outdoor.

Then that "glow" from the 2nd and 3rd pictures...omg, it's like a spinel or an emerald. Does blue sapphire have chromium too?

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue sapphire is colored by iron and titanium.

I love that it’s from Madagascar too, Kashmir look without the Kashmiri price tag!! Smart!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results