shape
carat
color
clarity

A bit of a beginners question..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robertplosom

Rough_Rock

Hi all, Well first thing I must say what an interesting and vibrant community you people make…Some very knowledgeable folks around..

To my questions..:

1. I have been offered an opportunity to buy appx 4 carats of rough un-cut Kimberly approved diamonds.
2. Now is there any way to ensure that these are genuine diamonds and not a moissanite for example...?
3. Where would I find a price comparison to rough diamonds? Cause I have no idea that the price asked for them is within reason / cheap or expensive…?
4. Where can I find an estimate quote to get rough diamonds cut into various shapes..? or in other words how much does it cost to get diamonds cut and polished.
Thank you for time
Sincerely
Robert

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is your end goal? to sell cut diamonds? or for your own personal use?

robertplosom

Rough_Rock
End goal is either to sell them as rough or as cut..

thanks
Robert

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think that there is a lot more involved in this than you perhaps think. I would honestly leave this to the people who know what they are doing. I heard of a man who spent his life savings on uncut rough, just to find out later that it wasn''t even diamond.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
This isn''t something you can do part time and most of the time when someone offers you a "deal" like this, there is something to be afraid of. I would skip it personally, there is a lot more involved than you think and it is one of those things that is better left to the pros. Not something a layperson can/should get into IMO without being willing to totally lose their pants.

I assume you found us and are researching this "deal" because something in your gut tells you it isn''t right. Listen to your gut.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. I have been offered an opportunity to buy appx 4 carats of rough un-cut Kimberly approved diamonds.

You are being scammed. Run away.

2. Now is there any way to ensure that these are genuine diamonds and not a moissanite for example...?

Sure. Buy from credible sources. Have an expert on your side assist. It’s not actually all that difficult to recognize moissonite and the like but it does take a little bit of practice. There are FAR more difficult questions in this process if you expect to pass through with your wallet intact.

3. Where would I find a price comparison to rough diamonds? Cause I have no idea that the price asked for them is within reason / cheap or expensive…?

I guarantee that they’re expensive. Why? Because if they weren’t, they would be offering them for sale through more professional channels. You are being scammed.
There are lots of folks selling rough diamonds on ebay that you can look at for comparable prices but, of course, you know no more about those stones than you do abut the ones you are considering.

4. Where can I find an estimate quote to get rough diamonds cut into various shapes..? or in other words how much does it cost to get diamonds cut and polished.

Cutters charge between $25/ct and $400/ct depending on where they are and how much work you have to give them. Yield from rough, meaning the size of the finished stone compared to the original will range from 40% of the original weight down to about 5%. Estimating the yield as well as the resultant clarity and color that you can expect is an art form unto itself. You may be able to hire someone to do this but mostly they are already your competitors themselves and won’t want to do it. In the US I would expect this talent to cost you between $100-$300/hr.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock

Date: 2/17/2009 7:54:34 AM
Author: denverappraiser

You are being scammed. Run away.

Sure. Buy from credible sources. Have an expert on your side assist. It’s not actually all that difficult to recognize moissonite and the like but it does take a little bit of practice. There are FAR more difficult questions in this process if you expect to pass through with your wallet intact.

I guarantee that they’re expensive. Why? Because if they weren’t, they would be offering them for sale through more professional channels. You are being scammed.
There are lots of folks selling rough diamonds on ebay that you can look at for comparable prices but, of course, you know no more about those stones than you do abut the ones you are considering.

Cutters charge between $25/ct and $400/ct depending on where they are and how much work you have to give them. Yield from rough, meaning the size of the finished stone compared to the original will range from 40% of the original weight down to about 5%. Estimating the yield as well as the resultant clarity and color that you can expect is an art form unto itself. You may be able to hire someone to do this but mostly they are already your competitors themselves and won’t want to do it. In the US I would expect this talent to cost you between $100-$300/hr.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Ditto
That's good advice from Neil as well as all the previous posters.

robertplosom

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your support and detailed answers.
I think you guys sure have helped me make my decision to pass, on this “once in a life time deal”..
Thanks again
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results