shape
carat
color
clarity

A big thankyou to Garry Holloway (pictures included)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Belle:
Your enthusiasm has been great. I have loved all your messages.

Blingqueen:
Mara called this a "royal crown". Does anyone know if this a type of vintage setting? Whatever it is I think it is gorgeous (no modesty here!).
18.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
John and I am just heading off fly fishing for 5 days, so it will be my last post until next week.

Before I go, I need to say that this ring is going to have a GRAND life. In the 3 days it has been with me it has tasted champagne and fine single malt Scotch and seen me consume lots of dark Swiss chocolate. It has been for a bike ride, had a long massage, gone to the beach and worked out at pilates (it loved the halogen lights there). Unlike it’s owner, it disliked the few hours it had gardening (probably because it was hung around my neck at the time), but will just have to get used to that. It will probably be a bit dubious about fly fishing for the same reason, although I am looking forward to seeing how it will look by the light of the campfire at night. The diamond itself went sailing at Xmas before it was set, so it already knows what to expect there. Having seen the scars I have from skiing, it is shaking a little at the thought of winter though!
32.gif

(Are you now all getting a reasonable idea why I needed the diamond set low and securely?)

I just love the thought of it’s longevity and how much pleasure it will bring to many subsequent owners as well. Nice concept!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Thanks for all your wonderful responses and for helping to make this a week I won’t forget in a hurry.
35.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the platinum work in this setting and how the platinum seems to have such a fluid flow to it...
5.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I love this setting! I like how substantial it is yet from the top view, the band is fine and the stone POPS!
30.gif
Congrats!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that it''s vintage but I must have called it that because it''s similar to Vatche''s Royal Crown setting with the crown shaped basket. I love how yours sits low, has the knife edge shank and also how the 3 and 9 o''clock prongs look like they flow so well into the setting itself. Beautiful!
30.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
It''s absolutely PERFECT!!! And just my taste as well.
3.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!!
3.gif
And what a sparkler your diamond is!!
30.gif
Many Congrats, Angela!!
36.gif

Thanks so much for showing us a piece of Garry''s design genius. I saw on his site the many awards he and his staff have won. Now we know why.
1.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone
I came home yesterday from 2 weeks fly fishing in the remote areas of the stunningly beautiful south island of New Zealand with my ring (oh, and John of course). It was lovely finding a couple of posts on this old thread. Thank you Josh, Jennifer, Mara, Rowan and pqcollectibles for your responses. After a month my heart still leaps looking at it. It is not suffering from shrinkage yet!

My ring has been exposed to lots more than expected while I was away. After I was bitten on my finger by a mean little sandfly only a few days into the holiday, my finger swelled up overnight and I could not get the ring off (swelling has not yet subsided completely). Rather than being hung around my neck while doing risky things, it was out there having FUN. I luckily had no bad falls this trip, but I will check the claws extra carefully when I get back to work tomorrow.

There are, however, other thoughts on my mind at the moment. Before I left for NZ, I volunteered optometric help in Sri Lanka following the tsunami. I arrived home to find I am leaving for 2 weeks on the 4th of March, part of a team of 6 from Australia – the first to go. It is daunting. I have to admit I am getting butterflies in my stomach just looking at the list of immunizations needed against things like hepatitis A & B, typhoid, tetanus, diphtheria, polio, cholera, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, influenza and measles etc. I will unfortunately not have time to complete the full course of some of these as it is less than 2 weeks before I go and this is worrying me too. Problems with sewage disposal and overcrowding in camps are apparently increasing disease risk. Prophylactic medication for malaria is needed as well. I can’t stop thinking about all the retinal risks with this and the possible problems with all the other drugs as well! The actual diseases would be a lot worse though. I am ashamed to admit it, but a little knowledge is making me a bit of a coward.

They have also stated there is a risk of snake and rat bites following the flooding and if all this isn’t enough, security warnings have been issued due to increased criminal activity and the escalating tensions between the Government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. It is hard to believe, but aid workers have been specifically targeted.

My butterflies have just increased just typing all this out!

I find it more mind boggling though thinking of the hundreds of thousands of people (families just like ours) living permanently under these conditions with such terribly inadequate aid. In addition, everyone in the affected areas is grieving following the loss of family members and friends. I hope I can make some difference to their lives.

Several months after a disaster like this has occurred, it tends to be forgotten by most. I send out a personal plea for all of you to consider not just donating to some aid agency, but donating an amount that actually hurts! We live such very, very privileged lives.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Angela, thank you for returning to share moments from your fishing trip and details of your upcoming mission.

On a whimsical note, you need not worry about shrinkage syndrome for that massive rock for some time, I should think... If so, have your John get in touch with me for some tolerance counseling!
1.gif

I''m grateful and humbled that people such as you are volunteering to travel across the globe to assist others in crisis, even at some degree of peril to yourselves. Many of us contribute monetarily to relief efforts, but to actually be there and lay hands on those who need healing and comfort will no doubt be as life-giving an experience for the healers as it is life-saving for the victims.

A simple thought to pass along: My mom has done relief work in Mexico and when she goes she takes hundreds of antiseptic first aid towelettes in small foil packages in her bag – for her own use as well as always being handy for others. It''s amazing how something so insignificant in our daily lives can be so valuable in other situations.

The blessing that comes to mind is Irish, not Aussie, but seems appropriate nonetheless.

“May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
The sun shine warm upon your face
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”

Thoughts and prayers for a meaningful mission, and for your safe return.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
angela,
what a wonderful and exciting adventure you have managed to have once again!! between rattlesnakes and biting flies, i''m starting to think that your ring is more like bait on your hand! (.......okay, okay, you can leave it on holiday with me anytime you need to.....i will take care of it well!!
2.gif
)

it has been fun living vicariously through you and your wonderful leisure excursions, but as i read of your next departure, i can''t help but to be humbled by your generosity to help others in such dire circumstances. volunteering for the effort itself is a genuinely selfless act, as it takes a very strong and courageous person to even consider embarking on the mission you are about to take. you have proven your mettle. of course there are risks invloved, but the reward of knowing that you have truly made a difference in the lives of many, many unfortunate people cannot be measured. my thoughts will be with you, and prayers outgoing for continued strength, wisdom and encouragement as you begin to tend to the physical, as well as mental needs of these people.

thank you for sharing your story....i look forward to hearing from you when you return!!

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi John and Belle
I got a bit emotional reading your replies. I don’t feel one bit brave or strong (terrified actually), so I don’t deserve any credit there. Actually I’m a bit ashamed at all the wimpy thoughts that surfaced initially. It helped writing it down - I have not told friends and family yet, as I still feel a bit overwhelmed. I am also clear headed enough to know it is not a selfless act - I will get a lot of personal satisfaction from this.

I had all my shots yesterday, but with only 10 days to go, I do not have sufficient time for full immunity to rabies – I am sure locals will get a laugh out of me avoiding all the local dogs who are only wanting to give me a friendly lick! I am feeling a bit like a pin cushion at the moment (slept on my back last night), but my kind GP fed me lots of jelly beans afterwards. There are some compensations at least!

I am finding I am in unfamiliar territory though. Six of us are taking 5,000 pairs of specs made up to a wide range of spherical prescriptions. The Japanese lens company HOYA has generously provided 45,000 lenses, so no shortages here, but eye drops such as antibiotics, etc are very hard to source. As one of the only 2 therapeutically endorsed optometrists going, I have the task of approaching drug companies. Following their huge initial donations, sadly the response is now often “we have given all we can”. Additional drugs would be invaluable, so I will keep my fingers crossed that some of the companies will come good before I leave, or at least reps can give me all the samples they can spare.

I was amazed to learn that there is currently one ophthalmologist for the 520 “displaced persons” camps in Sri Lanka. These hold about 500,000 people. He said he is seeing 180-200 people daily and hasn’t got a hope coping with all their surgical needs. I have no idea what will be done with all the people we examine needing help we cannot provide. He has said he will not be able to handle them. Any ophthalmologists reading this should consider offering help in the near future. This is obviously one area desperately needing more aid.

Our baggage allowance is generous to allow for equipment, so I will have a bit of spare room. I have considered taking some lighweight, small inexpensive supplies to hand out. Any suggestions on what may be useful (sewing needles & thread? soap? kid’s crayons & paper? chocolate?). I know it won’t go far, but may brighten up a few people’s day.

Wish me luck.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results