shape
carat
color
clarity

a 5 stone setting under 2500?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am making a 5 stone setting. ideally it has about a 4.5 and 3.5 mm sidestones for my 6mm stone. These proportions aren't quite right sense they dont go down my finger, but heres a photoshop (well a Gimp) of the proportions im going for, along with an image the lovely Yessie made for me
uploadfromtaptalk1366903959362.jpg

Problem is I only have given myself 2500 AT MOST to complete this.

Here is what i have so far

BG can do this setting with almost exactly the proportions im looking for. They are 4.35 instead of 4.5 though. And they said they could do it for 2350 or so

Ive also contacted IDJ, but to get the proportions i want, it would cost like 3800!

But they have a non custom one thats 1850, but its stock
the only thing they have for me that ive found so far (though i keep asking about more things) is this setting, but it would only have .15 ct and .20 cts, the .15 is great, but the .20 ct is possibly too small

Here are the proportions i figured out for that size. Pretty, but not large enough i dont think

Ive contacted James allen to see if they could do it, they said they do "custom", but i asked them for a 5 stone setting but they only came back with 3stones with pave down the side

Id love your guys' opinions!
If you could think of other places to look, please let me know.

picture_17.png

niel2.png

25467l.jpg

_6047.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Unique Settings of New York? They have a number of graduated five-stone rings featuring 0.75ct as the center stone with varying side stone mm sizes - and I think 0.75ct is apx 5.9mm, so your 6mm stone should easily fit...

IDJ or BGD or WF could get the setting from USNY and then find the appropriate side stones, depending on which setting you might select - and I'm pretty sure USNY comes in 14kt gold as well as 18kt gold and platinum.

Here's a couple of links with possibilities:

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/3377

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/3476

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/14331

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah IDJ had those settings, but they could not adjust the side stones to fit 4.5 and 3.5. :nono:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie*

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1367629252|3439967 said:
yeah IDJ had those settings, but they could not adjust the side stones to fit 4.5 and 3.5. :nono:

Huh, I would have thought one of these might have been workable?
#WB1886 - 2-0.2/RD, 2-0.35/RD, 1-0.75/RD - 0.20ct = apx 3.8mm (couldn't a 3.5mm fit here?), and 0.35ct = apx 4.5mm
#WB549 - 2-0.25/RD, 2-0.35/RD, 1-0.75/RD - these sidestones at 4mm and 4.5mm are probably too bit for your taste but thought I'd post it anyway.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1367632044|3440000 said:
Niel|1367629252|3439967 said:

Huh, I would have thought one of these might have been workable?
#WB1886 - 2-0.2/RD, 2-0.35/RD, 1-0.75/RD - 0.20ct = apx 3.8mm (couldn't a 3.5mm fit here?), and 0.35ct = apx 4.5mm
#WB549 - 2-0.25/RD, 2-0.35/RD, 1-0.75/RD - these sidestones at 4mm and 4.5mm are probably too bit for your taste but thought I'd post it anyway.

hmm maybe they werent exactly the same, but they look quote the same, and for whatever reason they didnt really work. one thing i know is that they would "stretch" anything. I was like "could you fit a 4mm in a 3.5mm and they said that wouldnt work.

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Is your budget and the quotes you already have from BG include side stones? My understanding with stock setting is that you can put slightly smaller stones on them with no problem. So the ones with 0.25 and 0,35 might work with your desired proportions 3.5 and 4.5mm set.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah thats all in, i already have the larger diamonds reserved with them. i think its so cheap because of the PS and mothers day discount.

my only concern is if those prongs will be safe??

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
This first one looks like it has proportions close to what you want:

The sides were .35 and .2 which ought to be somewhere close to 4.3-4.5 for the .35s and the .2 will be around 3.5mm maybe a hair larger. Did you check in to the pricing on that one?

Otherwise, I'd probably be inclined to go with BGD.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1367671026|3440173 said:
This first one looks like it has proportions close to what you want:

The sides were .35 and .2 which ought to be somewhere close to 4.3-4.5 for the .35s and the .2 will be around 3.5mm maybe a hair larger. Did you check in to the pricing on that one?

Otherwise, I'd probably be inclined to go with BGD.

I just dont know if that one will be the quality want. Eventually ill have the setting custom made, but thats like 5 years down the line (the amount of time i had to promise my FI not to mess with it for him to agree with this :D ) and i just dont know if ill be happy with that setting for that long

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think the setting is safe ?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367671528|3440181 said:
do you think the setting is safe ?

My guess it it will be done just like the Unique Settings one. The 4 middle prongs will hold the main stone and then the smaller stones will be held with 2 and i guess tension against the stone next to it. That' the only way I can think of making the adjustment from 5 stone with equal stone to 5 stone with a larger center. You might ask what arrangement the prongs will have, but their work is very good, and I do not think they would suggest something unsafe. (There's always going to be risks with prongs, but he'll tell you what it is.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't know if they would add extra prongs or not. I would surely hope so. But I kind of doubt it.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367673140|3440196 said:
I really don't know if they would add extra prongs or not. I would surely hope so. But I kind of doubt it.

There would be no extra prongs. The BGD one has the same number of prongs as the Unique Settings one, but currently the BGD one has all equal stones shown so they all share prongs. Clearly, that can't happen with a larger center, so the 4 central prongs have to hold the main stone so an adjustment will have to be made there, leaving 2 prongs apiece plus tension against the setting itself to hold the remaining stones (same way it is done in the US ring). What I'm saying is it's basically the same ring design.

Remember, these guys do this ALL the time, and if they say they can use that setting to make a graduated 5 stone, then they would know. They've probably done it before and already have plans for it stored.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. I am 90% certain I'll go with them. My only concern was that I want it to feel like an engagement ring. I'm not sure if this one will, sense they don't sit up very high. Or have the center stone sit up like the center stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if you are looking for feedback or not. I think it looks like a wedding band versus an engagement ring given the size of the 5 stones. I always think of e-rings as have a clear center stone. Have you tried looking on ebay? I just got a beautiful Scott Kay platinum 5 stone setting for far less than your budget .. but it holds a 1.5-2.0ct center.

Alternatively, I think the diamond looks great as a solitaire and I would get a pair of blingy bands instead. I think it will look more engagement ring like than turning it into a 5 stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont mind feedback at all! I want to purchase the stones myself. So the setting would have to be completely empty so i could fill it up with my choice of stones. My wish was to have this setting with one more set of stones, but no one can do that without a substantial "custom" fee

I can get the .65TCW stones from BG and with their mothersday said they i think are about 800-900 or so, cant remember, the 0.30TCW ones will be maybe 500? so that really only leaves me a little over 1000 for the setting.

picture_18.png

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1367679708|3440231 said:
My wish was to have this setting with one more set of stones, but no one can do that without a substantial "custom" fee

Try mydiamondzone.com. Their custom fees are really reasonable and they do good work. I have used their bench before.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already have the stone so a band isn't really what I'm going for. If I was going to go halo again I'd get the same ritani one I had. Its really quite a beautiful setting.

Thanks for the suggestions but I really have this graduated 5 stone in my head so I don't think eBay will do it for me. I'll contact them though. Maybe they can do it. Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think you'll be happier saving up until you have the money for a totally custom setting, even if you buy the diamonds now. I think you personally won't be happy with a basic $1000 setting, especially after your Ritani.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I personally think that DSS will sink in real quick to invest in 4 more stones plus a custom setting. It's not going to last you 5 years without touching it.

I know you already have the stone set in a solitaire. I am suggesting you keep it in the solitaire and instead of making it a 5 stone .. get a pair of bands to go with it. It will just make for a nicer set than the standalone 5 stone which looks like a band to me anyways with the sizes. Keep your Cartier ring for your other hand.

Sorry for being blunt ... no filter today.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1367683468|3440260 said:
I personally think that DSS will sink in real quick to invest in 4 more stones plus a custom setting. It's not going to last you 5 years without touching it.

I know you already have the stone set in a solitaire. I am suggesting you keep it in the solitaire and instead of making it a 5 stone .. get a pair of bands to go with it. It will just make for a nicer set than the standalone 5 stone which looks like a band to me anyways with the sizes. Keep your Cartier ring for your other hand.

Sorry for being blunt ... no filter today.
That's fine. I just dont think that's a good idea for me. I dont like diamond bands pave bands. plus i am resolved that my rolling ring is my wedding band so that wont change. And i get its smaller diamonds but i do not think they are too small, and i think a 5 stone will make a substantial ring. And i dont care too much if it looks a little like a band, though i dont think it would.

Can anyone else think if a place that miiiiight be able to do a simple 5 stone setting (like a three stone buy one extra set) for under 1300? No diamonds?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe Stuller?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1367686316|3440281 said:
Maybe Stuller?

I can never find anything on their website i feel like

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Why not just ask BGD if the center stone in the graduated 5 stone they said they can do is going to sit higher than the way it's shown in the pic with the 5 equal stones where they are all the same height, since that is what your main concern on the setting is and seems to be the main thing that will keep it looking "engagement-y". As I said, they do these things all day every day and ought to be able to answer your questions. We could go round and round all day with guesses but really, they know their bench best and probably already have a good idea how it will turn out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1367688184|3440296 said:
Why not just ask BGD if the center stone in the graduated 5 stone they said they can do is going to sit higher than the way it's shown in the pic with the 5 equal stones where they are all the same height, since that is what your main concern on the setting is and seems to be the main thing that will keep it looking "engagement-y". As I said, they do these things all day every day and ought to be able to answer your questions. We could go round and round all day with guesses but really, they know their bench best and probably already have a good idea how it will turn out.

I plan on discussing it with them, in the mean time I was just looking for any other place that might have a setting that could fit my tight budget. As it sits now I plan on going with BGD unless I can fund anything cheaper and still nice quality. I'm getting excited.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Like I said earlier, try my I among zone. I am sure they can meet your budget and it will be cad and cast.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1367690593|3440319 said:
Like I said earlier, try my I among zone. I am sure they can meet your budget and it will be cad and cast.

Ive reached out to them :D just waiting to hear back. I do think at least ill still get my stones from BG, its the best price I an find, and they have that mothers Day sale, so seems like a good price. I also am seeing what they will say about setting the center stone any higher.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah diamond zone can do it for like all together 300 less than bgd.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results