shape
carat
color
clarity

A 2 carat "J" color stone set in platinum. Bad idea????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

santo10492

Rough_Rock
Because of all the great advice from this forum, I''ve decided to make sure the stone I purchase is a "hearts & arrows". I have found some good ones that are in my price range but most of them are "J" color, some are "I". Will this stone face up yellow or will the H & A reduce the yellowish tint? I have been told that once you go to 2 carats you should not drop below a "H" in color, or else, the stone will be look way to yellow. Is this true? Please advise.

barry

Shiny_Rock
We have set several SuperbCert "J" in Platinum.

They face up white and look great.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I have a N-color diamond.
Looks like a fancy color !
And not expensive at all, but very fiery !
If you can't afford a true white, you could try a yellowish well-cut diamond!
It will be bigger !

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I considered a J and the experts said it would be fine. I was skeptical. Until I compared a J and an H A Cut Above from White Flash. I was looking at setting the diamond in white gold. I compared both to white gold and platinum. They were both spectacular. There was only the faintest "body" difference in them. I decided on the H just because it had slightly less "body" to it than the J. CUT really does make a difference. A J H&A will definitely outshine most other diamonds out there, and you probably won't notice a difference unless you put it side by side with another higher color diamond. If you can get some flour, say faint to medium, it would be a real sparkler for sure!
9.gif

Hope this helps and good luck in your search!
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/9/2003 10:34
6.gif
9 AM pqcollectibles wrote:
I considered a J and the experts said it would be fine. I was skeptical. Until I compared a J and an H A Cut Above from White Flash. I was looking at setting the diamond in white gold. I compared both to white gold and platinum. They were both spectacular. There was only the faintest "body" difference in them. I decided on the H just because it had slightly less "body" to it than the J. CUT really does make a difference. A J H&A will definitely outshine most other diamonds out there, and you probably won't notice a difference unless you put it side by side with another higher color diamond. If you can get some flour, say faint to medium, it would be a real sparkler for sure!
9.gif

Hope this helps and good luck in your search!
2.gif
----------------
PQ makes a very important comment to you here, Santo. She noticed the slightest body difference between the H and the J with her naked eye, and this was at the .75 carat mark. I would imagine that body difference would be amplified in a stone of nearly 2 carats.

Even with the superior H&A cut, it may be noticeable when placed side by side with a higher color grade diamond, but it may not be noticeable when viewed by itself. I'd really recommend that you see a J in this carat range....I'd have this one sent to an appraiser near you to see it.

Good luck!

santo10492

Rough_Rock
thank you all for the help. I am definitely skeptical about the "J" color. I definitely think I should go with an "H" or "I". I think I might decrease the size from 2 carats down to 1.75-1.80. I feel I can improve the quality of the stone while keeping staying in my price range, but I want her to have that 2 carat very, very bad. Just don't want it to be too yellow. Again, thank you all!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Almost all of us make some sort of compromise in the diamond buying process. Hubby wanted me to keep the J as it was VS clarity. I chose the H, SI1, after many agonizing viewings going back and forth. Even my family was split. 2 for J, 2 for H, and 1 flip a coin.

I set each one in a white gold hoop earring, on white paper, to get a feel for how they would look set. Direct light, indirect light, candle light, indirect outdoor light, no noticible difference. The only time I saw the faintest difference was after I layed them on their sides, like diamond studs, on white paper, against a pair of white gold and diamond earring jackets. The J had slightly more "body" color than the H. It wasn't a "yellow" tinge, just "body". I think if the J had had some flour, I probably would have gone with it instead. It was a larger diamond. LOL And us gals always luv larger! LOL

Keep in mind when looking at H&A's, they are Ideal cuts. An Ideal cut diamond will appear larger than the carat weight written on paper, when compared to a "regular cut" or Maul store diamond. And, my, how they do sparkle! So, if you do decide to go a bit smaller in carat weight, the cut will compensate somewhat for the "size" difference.
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
ALJD makes a very good point. Do go look locally to see the sizes and colors you are considering in person. I read about the H&A's here. It wasn't until I saw one that I understood what all the excitement was about. And, if your local shopping experience is like mine, you won't even come close on price to the PS Vendors.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
PQ - faint probably won't affect the color. If you go w/ Bl. Fluor go med to strong. Rarely does strong blue make the stone look milky. It's a valid concern & one should check out the stone in all lighting conditions - but most of the overblues are in the industrial market.

Also true that larger stones will show more body color. Cut can & will be a factor in how bright the stone faces up.

If you were to go w/ the 2c mark, my recommendation would be to get a very well cut stone w/ some med/strong bl. fluor.

Going under the 2c mark is an option. I thought about that option as well. But, to play the devil's advocate, at the end of the day - there is something to be said that a stone is a certain mark. It will have a certain cache. I was looking for that as I intend on passing the stone down in the family for someone else to enjoy.

A caveat, I would rather have a pretty smaller stone than a larger ugly stone. With hard work & massaging the parameters, you may be able to achieve both. Think outside the box.

Good luck. BTW, My 3c is set in platinum w/ two f/g side baguettes. My stone is an I (well cut) med/strong blue fluor. I don't see any dif in body color of the stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
F&I~

Ewwwww! Your ring sounds GORGEOUS!!!
love.gif

I was having trouble with color when I first started here. All my diamonds, except one ring with H, are F color. Granted, they are mostly small prins and bags invisible or channel set in jewelry. So, I was of the MUST be F/G mindset when I started. Then I found PS and learned about CUT.

I actually love Flour in a diamond. One of the prettiest e-rings I've ever seen wasn't pretty because of ring design or diamond size. My sis had a smaller, great cut, F color diamond with medium flour in it. (Flashback to days of "Blue Diamonds.") We just marvelled at the flashes of blue! And it was clean and clear, not milky or oily at all. How much flour to have in a diamond depends on the diamond. There are general guidelines to follow but diamonds tend to have unique personalities much like people do. Some diamonds will look milky with the faintest hint of flour and others are fine with strong. That's a call you have to make by physically viewing the diamond.
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Js may "face up" great, but a 2+ ct stone is damn big and can be easily viewed from the side. When viewed from that side I imagine the J color will really jump out at you.

All you can do is look at a few for yourself and see what you think.

Godd luck!

R/A

barry

Shiny_Rock
PQ;

Thanks for your consumer input regarding
fluorescence. Fluorescence can actually
benefit and enhance the appearence of a diamond,
even in the higher colors (D-G). Unfortunately,
fluorescence has been given a bum rap
the past few years resulting in consumers being
pushed away from very beautiful diamonds.

RA;

I hear your point about "color" in larger stones.
From the side, you have a point, but apart from
tension settings and perhaps a few other styles, settings
are closed and the diamond is viewed entirely from the face-up position. Our experience
with SuperbCert 1.5-2 ct, I-J colors in Platinum
has been excellent. Although these diamonds
show a bit of color from the side, they face up totally white.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/10/2003 10:39:17 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

Js may "face up" great, but a 2+ ct stone is damn big and can be easily viewed from the side. When viewed from that side I imagine the J color will really jump out at you.

All you can do is look at a few for yourself and see what you think.

Godd luck!

R/A
----------------

I agree w/ look for yourself - but the setting has much to do w/ side view. Mine is set low & I really can't view too much from the side. I honestly do not see yellow body color. Maybe the reflection of the white platinum is a help. Perhaps body color could be detected if the stone was set in a higher tiffany style. Before the stone was set face down veiwing only the pavillion on white was the only time I saw any body color.

I'm not disillusional as one poster suggests. I'm not pulling an Sahafism. Honestly, my budget was significantly larger than I spent. If I thought for one moment the stone looked yellow, I would have passed for a higher color.

I'm not saying that side by side an E color wouldn't look "whiter" than mine.....just that in my stone I can't see body color. That said, I did indeed see color in another "I" I viewed - ever so slight - but noticeable.

Maybe it's me - but 2c is not that big of a stone. It's not twice as big as a 1c in MM's. 1c=6.5mm 2c=8.2mm

I'm beginning to think diamonds are like people. One, what I may think of as pretty - someone else may not. For example, Hubby prefers dark hair over blonde hair. Two, sometimes people features may not be the best on an individual basis - but when put together - it works. Three, personality sometimes over-rides beauty.

All that said, I am now more confused than anyone.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the setting makes a big difference.

A stone in a four-prong setting that sits up high will be very easy to view from the side. Six prongs are a different story. Bexel setting seems to bring out the best in a well-cut stone (and hides the side view).

I have not seen many stones (in person) that looked really yellow from the side. Most people don't keep their jewelry clean enough to see through. The color from the side tends to match the color of the wearer's favorite hand lotion.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/11/2003 9:37:18 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

I have not seen many stones (in person) that looked really yellow from the side. Most people don't keep their jewelry clean enough to see through. The color from the side tends to match the color of the wearer's favorite hand lotion.
1.gif

That said, I place one "C" above cut,color, clarity & carat - "CLEANLINESS". Every other hair washing, I wash my rings. Stick them in some ammonia & water. I wash the rings w/ toothbrush & after blow drying my hair - my rings are next.

----------------

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
This is an I and an F looking through the side.

FandI.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
But, see how much of the side of the I is exposed in the tiffany style setting. The one on the right is more "hidden". Mine is set in a setting that encompasses most of the pavillion mirroring the girdle.

Plus, I must have old eyes. I really don't see an enormous amount of dif. Certainly not enough to pay the premium of about 10K in a 3c.

Also, the one on the left seems dirty & not very translucent. It also looks a tad deep.

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I seem to remember reading on this forum that flour does not really help much once you get past H colours - does anyone know what the proposed adjustment for faint/medium is for H/I/J colours ?

Thanks.

PS- love the vatche setting on the right - can't wait to get mine !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results