shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel experts, I'm looking for my first spinel

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking to buy my first spinel, probably violet to pink. But the range of options is overwhelming and the prices are all over the map. I want a good color, good cut, eye clean.
I found two, one is a nice color and big size for a someday ring project I have in mind. Just under 1k.
The other , well she was a surprise. A 1 ct pear. 1200. Not at all what I thought I was looking for, but I keep looking at it. So tempted.
So do you have advice, preferred spinel vendors? I've looked at a lot of the usual vendors. I'm new to colored gems so worry about making an expensive mistake. 20181001_155407.png 20181001_155503.png

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
These are beautiful. While I recognize the first stone, I have never purchased from them but have about 17 "hearted", lol.

The color on the second seems like it could be amazing, although with only one pic it could be much darker irl. And kinda small. You may be disappointed in the actual size of a 1 ct.

Good luck in your search! Spinel is absolutely my favorite colored stone. I own about 30 loose stones I probably won't ever set, I just like to oogle them!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pear will be on the darker side. You'll have to decide if you're going to be ok with that.

The one above will likely be about what you're looking for in terms of color and light enough to be seen in just about all lights. Bit of a bowtie though not really too terrible (it might be worse in person but you'd have to see in person) It may end up being more pink in most lights than a true purple. I like violet which runs more blue but the risk is that you can also get much more grey in the stone.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I am not the best at judging the cut or color (Still learning!) That oval is pretty close to the color I want, but it looks a little lifeless? Didn't really thrill me.
I just found a thread from last year, a PS'er found exactly the color spinel I'm looking for, lavender pink like a kunzite or rose de France amethyst. A pear would be ok, but oval is what I had in mind.
20181001_194223.png
I guess if you have a particular color in mind you just keep looking?
I was kind of wondering where you "keep your eyes out"... there's so many sellers! Any particular sellers you have had good luck with?

Reactions: AV_

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love Gran Gem and CD Gemstones on Etsy.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Oh, thanks! I was looking at Gran Gem today actually!! Did you buy from them? Get what you expected?
I'm off to check out CD gemstones.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gran Gem has more stones than they have listed, so you might want to ask him if he has what you are looking for if you don’t see it on their site. I have purchased from them and the stone was very nice.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Would you buy an emerald cut? Does this stone look ok? Says eye clean and precision cut. 20181003_173501.png 20181003_173517.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you buy an emerald cut? Does this stone look ok? Says eye clean and precision cut. 20181003_173501.png 20181003_173517.png

From the images, I'd think it was an amethyst. But I'll be frank with you; its tough to judge based on the background. Best to have the most neutral background possible. Also, there's lots of light on the stone.

As with any emerald of any type of stone, you'll get flashes instead of sparkle. You would really need to decide if you're good with that.

Here's some that might work for you in terms of color. Mark has a good return policy.
https://www.africagems.com/purple-spinel-cushion-gemstone-52925566.html

https://www.africagems.com/spinel-oval-1-74-20189741.html

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
That's what makes me hesitate. . lack of sparkles in the ECs... but I love the color. I'm actually looking for something a little bigger than the Africa gems options above. Probably in the 3 carat range. (EC is 3.24)
The hunt continues.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mrs_Strizzle . Not really the color I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if the ascher cut would be sparkly(better than EC)? I like the cut!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the EC - how big is it?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm new to gem buying, so buying from an overseas online seller makes me nervous. Especially when I'm spending 1k or more! I was in touch with a gem seller from IG, Hi Gem. He's had some beautiful stones in the right shade, offered me this one below, nearly 4 carat cushion for 1200. But the photo isn't great, and the video he sent did not help much.
I think I'd be more comfortable buying ,at least a larger size gem, from a trusted master cutter.
Maybe I'm too cautious! Screenshot_20181004-053834.png

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
No problem, figured it was good to look at as many examples as possible! Totally get wanting to buy from the trusted vendors with your budget. I typically buy small stones so it’s less risky, plus I’m in Asia, so basically all vendors are overseas vendors!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm new to gem buying, so buying from an overseas online seller makes me nervous. Especially when I'm spending 1k or more! I was in touch with a gem seller from IG, Hi Gem. He's had some beautiful stones in the right shade, offered me this one below, nearly 4 carat cushion for 1200. But the photo isn't great, and the video he sent did not help much.
I think I'd be more comfortable buying ,at least a larger size gem, from a trusted master cutter.
Maybe I'm too cautious! Screenshot_20181004-053834.png

can he get natural sunlight? thats a lot of light in the background which makes me wonder how much light is also hitting that stone.

One more thing; are you looking for mainly pink? you seem to be leaning closer to pink(er) stones with a touch of purple.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3.24, 10.5 x 7.5
Gemstone project stone

I've seen nice ones by Gemstone Project. A little big for me, I'm only after about a carat I think 8x6 or 7x5 perhaps. :confused: It's a lovely colour though. :cool2::praise:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've seen nice ones by Gemstone Project. A little big for me, I'm only after about a carat I think 8x6 or 7x5 perhaps. :confused: It's a lovely colour though. :cool2::praise:

I'm actually chatting with Elle about that EC... she's going to post a video for me later. ..
Let me look, I think I saw a smaller one for you , similiar color, gotta remember where

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So Elle posted a video of the spinel on her IG for me. She said it's lavender with pink secondary which is what I'm looking for. She put the stone on hold for me for 24hr.
What do you think? Video is outside but it's overcast. I can sometimes see the gem holder through the stone, is that normal with EC? Is there a little window at the bottom?
I do love the color, and the colors just roll from side to side in the video. ..I like that. 20181005_180627.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Elle posted a video of the spinel on her IG for me. She said it's lavender with pink secondary which is what I'm looking for. She put the stone on hold for me for 24hr.
What do you think? Video is outside but it's overcast. I can sometimes see the gem holder through the stone, is that normal with EC? Is there a little window at the bottom?
I do love the color, and the colors just roll from side to side in the video. ..I like that. 20181005_180627.jpg

Well thats certainly much better and it looks less to me like an amethyst! Its def. got a pink side to it which can be seen in the indoor images. Go for it only if you know you really like flashes over sparkles.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LJsapphire this is one of the smaller ones I saw, cut by Dan Stair. Great price! 20181005_160659.png

Thanks, it's a great price but on the long side for the setting I'm thinking of.
The one in the video is beautiful, such a nice colour and so clear :love:

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I LOOOOVE that first cushion at the top! :love:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@LJsapphire here's another one for you to look at, better specs. And loupe clean. From SapphirePal on etsy. He has videos with his listings. 20181006_214947.png 20181006_215044.png

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LJsapphire here's another one for you to look at, better specs. And loupe clean. From SapphirePal on etsy. He has videos with his listings. 20181006_214947.png 20181006_215044.png

Thanks, that’s also pretty. I already have a pale lilac one (though not as good clarity). Looking for quite a deep purple. Not to worry, I’m in no hurry at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results