shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD: Sneak peek of the creation of Lilliana (1.55ct pear)

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of you may recall I had my 1.55ct E-S1 (1A cut) pear up for consignment. After not receiving any bites, I started searching Goggle images for “vintage pear halo” designs for inspiration. I kept seeing similar designs over and over. I knew I wanted a graduated halo that was more like a frame. I also knew I wanted a bezel around the pear. And finally, one that would make a nice RHR.

Resigning myself to knowing this could take awhile and include multiple searches for different attributes I’d like to incorporate into this ring, I scrolled down towards the end of what Google was offering, and then I saw her! The inspiration for what would become my Lilliana.

She was just one photo. I clicked on her and she was connected to a metadata type page that pulls images from other websites: http://www.mche.info/vintage-pear-s...-diamond-engagement-ring-the-lucy-ring-is-an/. I saw the name “Lucy” (which made me smile) and so I googled “vintage pear ring Lucy”, which brought me to the picture’s original host: https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/lucy-antique-pear-cut-diamond-ring.

I contacted Caysie, and she excitedly got the ball rolling! We worked over the next weeks on ideas for personalizing the inspiration and to bring to life the design for Lilliana. Today I received the CAD and I’m so excited! This is going to be such a beautiful and fun piece to wear.

The setting will be platinum with round cuts, five rosies across the bottom, sapphire accents, and then a tri-wire shank. :love:

First, my pear:
AF36A6FA-F7F2-4B75-A8AC-5C64C06914C0.jpeg

Lucy, the inspiration:
192A4A4A-0EE9-4415-B7EA-823554484F7E.jpeg

And finally, the sneak peek of Lilliana:
5A0225A8-BFE3-4730-8BDD-A55080FF01E4.jpeg

There are a few tweaks that have already been noted. They should be addressed on the next (and hopefully final) CAD.

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! What a beauty! Enjoy!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty and so different. I love it! Can't wait to see the finished product.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! What a beauty! Enjoy!

Holy cow! That's fabulous!!

Very exciting! I love a bezel.

So pretty and so different. I love it! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you all so much! I am really excited. I hope this will round out my collection of rings that will become heirlooms for my children. Hopefully I will get a long, long to time to enjoy it myself before then though. LOL!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a killer RHR this will make!! And the design is right up Caysie's alley, she'll totally do it justice. Can't wait to see her!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY. I don't usually like pears (except in tiara rings) but Lilliana is amazing :love: can't wait to see handshots!!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is an incredible ting! Can’t wait to see it on your hand :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ohsomethingshiny, romantic and charming in every way. Cannot wait to see this beauty on your finger.:kiss2:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a killer RHR this will make!! And the design is right up Caysie's alley, she'll totally do it justice. Can't wait to see her!!!
Yes!!! When I showed it to her she said she had seen it before (posted on Victor Barbone/Andria’s IG about a year and a half ago) and she loved it. So it was a quick yes from her on a CvB version.
OH MY. I don't usually like pears (except in tiara rings) but Lilliana is amazing :love: can't wait to see handshots!!
Thank you! I was dead set on selling my pear until I saw this setting. Glad no one wanted it now. :lol:
Wow! That is an incredible ting! Can’t wait to see it on your hand :kiss2:
I can’t wait either! Lots of pics to be shared once I have her.
Thank you so much!
@ohsomethingshiny, romantic and charming in every way. Cannot wait to see this beauty on your finger.:kiss2:
Yes, it’s my idea of “romantical”. Part romantic and part magical. :love: Hopefully we will solidify the design very soon and then put it in the production queue.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! Caysie is the perfect person to execute this vision. This is right up her alley. It looks like it is going to be fairly low, too, which is great for a RHR.

Will you post your next round of CADs?

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it! Caysie is the perfect person to execute this vision. This is right up her alley. It looks like it is going to be fairly low, too, which is great for a RHR.

Will you post your next round of CADs?
Yes, I will post them. I’m hoping it will reflect less of a gap between the bezel and the rosies to elongate it, as well as have that bottom edge looking more scalloped vs. individual bubbles. Originally we talked about making her two-tone (plat/YG) but in the original CAD she was too reminiscent of Eleanor. So I asked to stick with all platinum and to add the sapphire accents. Hoping that gives her a little more pop and also a little more individuality as compared to the original Lucy ring.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Absolutely beautiful & cannot wait to see the finished ring! :love:

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a very interesting and different treatment of a pear shaped stone! I love it and the individuality it exudes! Your pear is delicious, too!
Will you wear it with the point facing your fingertips or point-up? I noticed that the inspiration ring shows it being worn pointing to fingertips, but your CAD shows it point-up! I suppose you can wear it either way, or swing it around when you feel like it!
I love the fleur de lis-like flourish at the top! The whole thing is very graceful! Beautiful sapphires, too!
Can't wait to see it on your hand! :)

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Absolutely beautiful & cannot wait to see the finished ring! :love:
Me too! Just have to get the CAD to match up with picture in my head and then off to production she'll go.
This is a very interesting and different treatment of a pear shaped stone! I love it and the individuality it exudes! Your pear is delicious, too!
Will you wear it with the point facing your fingertips or point-up? I noticed that the inspiration ring shows it being worn pointing to fingertips, but your CAD shows it point-up! I suppose you can wear it either way, or swing it around when you feel like it!
I love the fleur de lis-like flourish at the top! The whole thing is very graceful! Beautiful sapphires, too!
Can't wait to see it on your hand! :)
It's funny that you ask which way I will wear her because I have thought about that a lot. When my pear was set as a solitaire, I wore it with the point down (toward my fingertip), but this ring seems to be upside-down that way. I feel like the fleur de lis is the top and that should be up by my hand instead of my knuckle. I am sure I will try wearing her both ways to see how she looks. I know I really can't go wrong either way, because IMO she will just be beautiful no matter what. ;)2

As for the the ring itself, I have had certain "bucket list" items that I wanted to own: One being a big statement ring, two being jewelry with a fleur de lis pattern, three being a vintage "frame" style halo ring, four being something with rosies, and five being a piece with sapphire accents. When this inspiration ring came along, I realized that I might be able to "have it all". :dance: (No pressure on Lilliana, huh? LOL!)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this definitely lends itself to be worn point towards the hand, rounded bottom towards the nail. With the band section being near the point, I'm assuming it will feel more comfortable to wear it that way & let it flow down towards your finger tip. Will be interesting to see what you settle with!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this definitely lends itself to be worn point towards the hand, rounded bottom towards the nail. With the band section being near the point, I'm assuming it will feel more comfortable to wear it that way & let it flow down towards your finger tip. Will be interesting to see what you settle with!
That's what I am thinking too. I would want the band portion further up on my finger (closer to my hand) as I agree that it seems it would be more comfortable.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This will be a breathtaking ring! I love the individual touches you have added. Can't wait to see the finished ring.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This will be a breathtaking ring! I love the individual touches you have added. Can't wait to see the finished ring.
Thank you! I hope those touches come across as well in person as it does in my head, you know? LOL! Now I just have to wait until November-ish to see her.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worry that the blue will seem dark and out of place when completed.

Just a thought. If you love it definitely keep it.

Has there been thought to the fact the bezel might take the sparkle out of the stone? That’s what happened when I bezeled my pear.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I worry that the blue will seem dark and out of place when completed.

Just a thought. If you love it definitely keep it.

Has there been thought to the fact the bezel might take the sparkle out of the stone? That’s what happened when I bezeled my pear.

Both excellent points. Thank you for bringing them up.

I've gone back and forth about the sapphire accents, but I really think I want to give them a try. I love the original design, but I just want a little bit of variation that would still lend itself to looking like the setting could be vintage.

As far as bezeling the pear, I know it will change it. I had it set in a standard prong setting before and I really wasn't pleased. It caught on everything and I just didn't like the look of it. I figure that at least with all of the design elements of this setting, I will actually want to wear it instead of having this pear just sit unloved and unworn in my jewelry box for years to come.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I love the shape of the petals in your CADs! It really pulls off the artistic vibe.

Have you tried wearing rings that high up on your finger? I noticed in the first picture that the ring is halfway up the finger with nothing holding it up from settling against the base of the finger and causing the bottom to knock into the knuckles. I'd personally balance out the design so that the shank is a bit more towards the center- but that's quite a bit different than the inspiration picture.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the shape of the petals in your CADs! It really pulls off the artistic vibe.

Have you tried wearing rings that high up on your finger? I noticed in the first picture that the ring is halfway up the finger with nothing holding it up from settling against the base of the finger and causing the bottom to knock into the knuckles. I'd personally balance out the design so that the shank is a bit more towards the center- but that's quite a bit different than the inspiration picture.
Yes, those petals were a definite "upgrade" to the original. When Caysie sent me the first CAD I noticed them right away! :love:

As for the placement of the shank, I am not sure how it would work to have it more toward the center simply because of how the design feeds into the shank towards the top. Lilliana will have a tri-wire shank which was added to extend the design from the top, if that makes sense. Also, she will be smaller. The original ring has a chubbier 2.6+ carat pear and my pear is 1.55 and more slender than the original. So while the new ring will be proportionate to the original, it should be smaller in scale. I am hoping that helps with it not extending too far to the knuckle.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy cow! That ring is amazing! I don’t usually love pears but this pair is TDF! I can’t wait for you to show it on your hand! It’s very Downtown Abbey regal! :love:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Holy cow! That ring is amazing! I don’t usually love pears but this pair is TDF! I can’t wait for you to show it on your hand! It’s very Downtown Abbey regal! :love:
Why thank you, @Mamabean! Very kind of you to say. :kiss2:

Q

Queenie60

Wow. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished ring.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished ring.
Thank you, @Queenie60! I will be sure to share lots of pics once I have her. Hoping it’ll be a fairly “quick” turn around for production. Don’t have a timeframe yet, but I am assuming some time in November.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the final CAD today. The gap has been reduced and the design looks more elongated. Also, the bottom has been fixed so it is scalloped instead of the individual bubbles. Finally, the top center stone will be a rosie, like the bottom five. Here is the previous CAD (left) and the final one (right). I am so excited for Lilliana to come to life!
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.02.08 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results