shape
carat
color
clarity

9 stone vs 7 stone diamond wedding band??

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Looking for people with either band to tell me about any pros and cons they have experienced with their ring. I am worried that with the 9 stone the diamonds may rub uncomfortably against my fingers, but I do like the idea of a getting little more finger coverage than with the 7 stone. If you have a 7 stone, do you feel like you only see diamonds on top or do you sometimes see the metal on the sides when viewing from the top? I am hoping to only see diamonds on top!

TIA!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi! I own a seven stone... I inherited it so I'm not sure of the exact ctw but it's somewhere between .49 and .70. The design of it is very prongy (each stone is held by 4 prongs) and the transition to the shank is not very well done. It's not a very comfortable band for me, plus as you noticed the finger coverage isn't full 1/2 eternity, so I have been thinking about resetting it into bezels (which would put more metal between the stones and therefore increase finger coverage).

I also just purchased a 1/2 eternity band (the Aurora Band by BGD) that has 9 rows (though not a 9 stone) and it is SO incredibly comfortable I am amazed. But then it was custom made for me and I emphasized that I wanted it comfortable. Here's the link to my new Aurora band so you can see what I mean:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-aurora-1-2-eternity-is-ready-and-on-the-way.154113/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-aurora-1-2-eternity-is-ready-and-on-the-way.154113/page-3[/URL]

Anyway, even though the Aurora band defintely puts prongs, metal and diamonds between my fingers it doesn't bother me at all. Whereas the 7 stone still irritates me when I wear it.

The point is, it just depends on how well the band is made. I tried on A LOT of bands before ordering my Aurora. I tried on 5 stones, 7 stones, 9 stones, 11 stones and eternity bands... shared prong, single prong, multi-prong and bezel set... you name it. and I can honestly say that the comfort REALLY depends on how the band is made. I almost purchased a Memoire 11 stone at one point just because it felt so comfortable on my hand I was shocked.

I would make sure that any band you get is made to be worn... not to just look pretty in a jewelry case. There is a HUGE range in the setting quality and comfort out there. Just make sure that whatever you buy is comfortable on you.

ETA: top down, I do see metal bookending my 7 stone, but I don't on my Aurora. But the point size is also a factor. My seven stone has 7-10 pointers. My Aurora band has five 32 pointers and either 10 pointers.

How large are the stones in each band you are looking at? And what brand/store is the band from?

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the 7 because

1) 7 is a lucky number in feng shui/etc

2) it will be more comfortable

3) why not get a 7 stone band, but w/ larger stones? :wavey:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses! I think I am leaning towards the 7 stone, for many of the reasons you both mentioned. If I buy online, I am looking at either Pearlman, Whiteflash, or BGD at this point. I think I would like the total carat weight to be between .50 and 1.00. Any opinions on what would look best with a 1.5 carat RB solitaire?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to a store and try on similar bands to those you are considering and decide for yourself what you think looks best. That's the only advice that I can give you, because what I like might be drastically different than what you like.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1293438058|2806803 said:
Go to a store and try on similar bands to those you are considering and decide for yourself what you think looks best. That's the only advice that I can give you, because what I like might be drastically different than what you like.

I totally understand - thank you. I was just hoping people could share opinions on what size band would best compliment a 1.5 carat center stone. I don't want the band to overpower the e-ring, but I also want some nice blingage! :)

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on the size of your finger and what size stones you'd like in your band. We've had lots of threads about bands made with ten pointers. That seems to be an *ideal* size for a lot of us. I have a size 6 finger and my seven stone band covers the entire top of my ring finger.

What size is your ring finger?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finger size?_

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
My ring size is 4.5.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a size 4.5 finger and wear a 7 stone band with 7 pointers which cover just enough of the top part of my finger. The integration part of the shank is done well so it's not obvious where the melees start/end but I don't think you can go wrong with a 9 stone band either.
SPBandC.jpg

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, it looks beautiful on you! So your total carat weight is .49, right? If you don't mind, from where did you get your band?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Kal. It has been many years since I purchased the band from Signed Pieces but if I recall correctly, they are 7 pointers, if not 10 pointers at most.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Got it! Do you wear your band with your e-ring? If so, what size is your center stone and do you feel the band is a good size for it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I don't wear the band with any rings because I cannot get used to the feeling of wearing more than one ring on a single finger. In my search through my old pictures, I found the inscription of the ctw of the band which only comes up to 0.4 ctws, so it has even smaller diamonds that I expected. I suppose it looks large on my finger as the side benefit of having small fingers. :lol:

While I do not have a hand shot, I do have two pictures showing all the rings together. The EC is 0.76 ct, the OEC is 0.88 ct and the cushion is 1 ct. I have not taken any pictures of the band with my 1.6 ct cushion yet.

4Rings1.jpg

4Rings2.jpg

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I own a 7 stone as well, with ~10 pointers. My ering setting also has ~10 pointers. I wear a size 5.75-6.0 and that gives me pretty good finger coverage without seeing too much metal. Center stone is 1.73.

JMHO, but I think your ring size is small enough that 7 stones would give you plenty of coverage! :))

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
ImpatientOne|1293508649|2807618 said:
I own a 7 stone as well, with ~10 pointers. My engagement ring setting also has ~10 pointers. I wear a size 5.75-6.0 and that gives me pretty good finger coverage without seeing too much metal. Center stone is 1.73.

JMHO, but I think your ring size is small enough that 7 stones would give you plenty of coverage! :))

Thanks for the info! I think you are right about 7 stones being enough coverage for me. I'm thinking between .5 - .75 TCW will probably be my sweet spot. Time to hit the jewelry stores for play time! ;-)

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1293481521|2807219 said:
Actually, I don't wear the band with any rings because I cannot get used to the feeling of wearing more than one ring on a single finger. In my search through my old pictures, I found the inscription of the ctw of the band which only comes up to 0.4 ctws, so it has even smaller diamonds that I expected. I suppose it looks large on my finger as the side benefit of having small fingers. :lol:

While I do not have a hand shot, I do have two pictures showing all the rings together. The EC is 0.76 ct, the OEC is 0.88 ct and the cushion is 1 ct. I have not taken any pictures of the band with my 1.6 ct cushion yet.

4Rings1.jpg

4Rings2.jpg

Wow, Chrono your rings are gorgeous! I especially like the bezel set which I think is the OEC you referred to? Very unique.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a full eternity band. For the first minute it was weird having the stone on the insides of my fingers, but that goes away quick. Honestly, don't worry about it. Just get what you like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results