shape
carat
color
clarity

9.8mm x 9.8mm... what carat weight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys!

Instead of shopping for a certain carat weight (since I am not stuck on some magical number) I instead would like to look for diamonds in a length/width range of 9.5mm-10.5mm. This is the size I liked on my finger. So, what carat weight range should I be looking at?

just to reiterate:
minimum dimensions 9.5mm x 9.5 mm
and maximum dimensions 10.5 mm x 10.5mm

Obviously I don''t want to have such a shallow diamond that it doesn''t sparkle, so I was hoping someone could give me an idea of the minimum carat weight I should be searching for. And on the other hand, I don''t want to buy a huge carat weight diamond where most of the weight is contributing to the depth- than I would be paying for the carat weight and not the ''size''.

Thank you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 11:01:22 AM
Author:LamborghiniGirl
Hi guys!

Instead of shopping for a certain carat weight (since I am not stuck on some magical number) I instead would like to look for diamonds in a length/width range of 9.5mm-10.5mm. This is the size I liked on my finger. So, what carat weight range should I be looking at?

just to reiterate:
minimum dimensions 9.5mm x 9.5 mm
and maximum dimensions 10.5 mm x 10.5mm

Obviously I don't want to have such a shallow diamond that it doesn't sparkle, so I was hoping someone could give me an idea of the minimum carat weight I should be searching for. And on the other hand, I don't want to buy a huge carat weight diamond where most of the weight is contributing to the depth- than I would be paying for the carat weight and not the 'size'.

Thank you!
According to this chart you need to be looking at a bit over 3 carats and up for a round diamond and look for the best cut you can find.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mm-to-carat-stone-conversion-chart.17578/

If you post your budget and colour and clarity requirements we might be able to make some suggestions for you with suitable diamonds.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on the shape you are looking at somewhere between 4-5 carats I believe for most of the popular shapes.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the quick response, that''s a great chart for reference.

I am looking for a cushion cut, preferably chunky facets but I am open to modified, it just seems like sometimes too many facets are cut on the pavilion and show through the table as tiny slices. (Maybe I have got the terminology wrong)

All that matters to me in terms of clarity is that the stone is eye clean to me, so if that means SI1 or even some SI2''s I am open to it.

My ideal color would be H/I/J, maybe even K. but that''s as colored as I would go.

Budget is preferable in the 35-37K range, but would go up to 39K if I had to.

And in terms of length/width dimensions, as the title says, I would really like the smaller side of the diamond to be around 9.8mm and the other side can be equal (making it square) or larger, up to 10.5mm.

Thanks!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have found this stone weight calculator useful:
http://www.dendritics.com/scales/carat-weight.asp

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a great resource too!

I guess what I am less sure about it what depth I should be looking for as well. Like I said, I don''t want too shallow of a stone where it will look glassy and leak light-- in fact I hope to get a stone with great light performance.

On the other hand I don''t want to go too deep, because I have been told some diamonds are cut unnecessarily deep in order to have a certain carat weight associated to them.

Thoughts?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushions really each need to be evaluated on their own...there are no rules to stick by. A depth of 70 or more is deep though, so sticking under that makes sense if you want to maximize spread. And you generally want the table to be on the smaller side to maximize fire, but a bigger table can make the diamond appear bigger too, so you need to balance your desires there.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In case you haven''t seen these LG, you might find them helpful! If you have, please disregard.
5.gif

This one thread contains some other very helpful threads on cushions.

Also, here''s a page with several cushion videos, to give you an idea of the different flavors.

That''s going to be a mighty big cushion, I can''t wait to see what you get!
9.gif

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, the end of that story is that I never said anything to him, because I didn''t want to offend him with a confrontation. But a few nights ago he sat me down and told me that he would never want me to have to have a ring I didn''t love. I think he also realizes that when it''s all said and done, what''s mine is his anyways!

I think it also helped that when we went ring browsing he saw that *even he* loved the bigger stones on my hand. So now we can both be happy! I''ll let you know if any other developments arise...
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
A cushion, based upon the measurements you would prefer, would be ~5cts or more. I did a quick search and you might find something in the JSI1 category, graded by EGL. There are also several in KSI1. Let us know how the diamond shopping goes. Your BF is very accomodating!

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For those who are more familiar with diamonds of this size, can I expect to be able to get a good quality diamond that performs well within my budget?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 1:36:08 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
For those who are more familiar with diamonds of this size, can I expect to be able to get a good quality diamond that performs well within my budget?
HI:

I have not seen your "budget" specified anywhere--so perhaps Jon at GOG and Mark at ERD would be the best folks to talk to. Have you used the search engine above with your "criteria"?

ETA: I recommend the series of "cushion" videos on the GOG website.

cheers--Sharon

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 11:18:18 AM
Budget is preferable in the 35-37K range, but would go up to 39K if I had to.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
thanks canuk-gal and Ellen.

I feel like I have looked at so many threads and also a bunch of the GOG cushion videos, and at this point I know what I like when I see it.
I love the big chunky facets, but I have liked some cushions with facets that are not huge, but not small either; also, I don''t want a big culet. Small, or not visible at all would be good.

what I don''t personally like is a facet pattern like this:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5139/

I don''t know if I am correctly using the terminology when I say that there are too many thin facets on the pavilion that face up through the table. Does that make sense when you look at the diamond link?

Back to one of my questions- and thanks RBsearch for reposting it- do you think, before i contact Mark or anyone else, that I will be able to get a cushion with great light performance and brilliance within my budget? (assuming the dimensions and other parameters I posted earlier)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Based on the search I just did, an H or I isn''t an option. You''d have to stick with J''s, K''s S11-S12. I didn''t see any square cushions and I only found one at: http://www.whiteflash.com/cushion/Cushion-cut-diamond-1936832.htm

As far as great light performance, i really don''t know? But I''d worry more at this point about very visible inclusions in a stone that size.

You might as well contact Mark and see what he can come up with.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think it might be hard to hit all your marks on that budget...esp. the light performance. Those cushions usually do come with a not insignificant premium over the poorly cut ones.

But always worth trying. Mark can help you if anyone can.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
What about something like this?
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4105/

Chunky, in budget, not a bad ASET (plus the GOG lifetime guarantee means it passed Jon's strict criteria), and the measurements are pretty good. Put a halo around it, and you may get close to the size you're looking for.

ETA: This might be another option.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I just watched GOG''s video the other day--showing the "new" antique cushions; he showed 4 or was it 5 cushions; all in that carat weight range. There has got to be something in his inventory to suit your needs. Call him!

cheers--Sharon

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Canuk gal- do you know what the title of that video was? I have a Mac and so I watch his videos through Vimeo.com.

There was a video I watched of his with a five different big cushions-- I liked #2 and #5 in that particular video:

http://www.vimeo.com/3469961

I have contacted GOG and have sent emails back and forth with one of their associates, and she told me if something pops up in my parameters she will let me know. She never explained if what I wanted in that budget could be found though...

Anyone else have an opinion on whether my budget is too low for great light performance in those size dimensions?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you for everyone who has looked for potential stones. I think the one thing I am pretty firm on is the dimensions, and as far as I saw, all the links posted up have not been in the dimensions range I am trying to aim for.

For example, if someone showed me an I1 and I really couldn''t see inclusions vs. a diamond with 8.7mm x 9.7mm, I would be more likely to bend on the clarity and buy that stone before I want to lower the dimensions.

I guess this may be a little tough, since no one has posted up a diamond with the large dimensions and SI2 or better clarity and K color or better in my budget.

again, thank you for posting the ideas though!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe an antique cushion?

Erica and Grace have two very awesome looking antique cushions in the size and budget range you have.

Color: M
Clarity: VS1

Measurements: 10.13mm x 9.69mm x 6.36mm

Culet: Large

EGL USA # 87294501D

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/412ringC.77194147.jpg

And...

Center Diamond:
Weight: 3.65 carats
Color: K
Clarity: VS1
Dimensions: 10.46mm x 9.96mm x 5.57mm
http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/365CushionD.44115045.jpg

I've personally seen both of these cushions in person and they are gorgeous to the max! Face up they look really bright... the only time I saw color was on a profile view. Quite the sparklers!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 8:00:56 PM

I guess this may be a little tough, since no one has posted up a diamond with the large dimensions and SI2 or better clarity and K color or better in my budget.

again, thank you for posting the ideas though!
I think that is the consensus. If there was something out there right now that readily met your requirements, we would have found it! I think you may have to bend on color and/or clarity to get the size you want.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi LG,

Tough call. In that clip where you saw you liked #2 and #5 (btw the same two I preferred as well), #2 is available and notably under your budget (a K SI2 that diamond was) but that particular diamond had eye visible inclusions. You could even see them in the clip as well. It''s measurements though were darn close to what you''re looking for and its optics (along with #5 were beautiful). I saw in this thread you had contacted one of my associates and wanted to give you a heads up that there are some newbies arriving tomorrow which may fit the bill. Will not know until I see em though.

Regards,

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rhino, Thanks for the response!
Can you tell me where the inclusions are in Diamond #2 in the video? Also what are its dimensions?

One more question: Will the new diamonds you are expecting be listed so I can find them in the Diamond Search page of Good Old Gold or should I contact your associate for photos?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Also I wanted to bump this up and ask:

What issues should I be more aware of buying a diamond of this size, in the 3-5ish carat weight range?
Anything special to consider when buying a large cushion versus a smaller one?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 10:32:31 PM

What issues should I be more aware of buying a diamond of this size, in the 3-5ish carat weight range?
Anything special to consider when buying a large cushion versus a smaller one?
HI:

Clarity comes to mind. Large surface area=easier spotted inclusions. Would be great to find something in that size, eye clean. My 5 carat center (radiant) is a VS1 and I am happy with that (variable).

cheers--Sharon

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2009 2:03:01 PM
Rhino, Thanks for the response!
1. Can you tell me where the inclusions are in Diamond #2 in the video?

2. Also what are its dimensions?

3. One more question: Will the new diamonds you are expecting be listed so I can find them in the Diamond Search page of Good Old Gold or should I contact your associate for photos?
1. Under the table on the right hand side. It is a white inclusion and it is small but it is visible.

2. Just shy of 9.8mm.

3. Contact us.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2009 10:32:31 PM

4. What issues should I be more aware of buying a diamond of this size, in the 3-5ish carat weight range?
5. Anything special to consider when buying a large cushion versus a smaller one?
4. In this size range, beyond the typical things I look at I tend to be more clarity conscious because the larger a diamond is the easier it is to see into its facets and see imperfections. If you''re ok with slightly eye visible inclusions then you''ll have more options open to you. SI''s in the 3-5ct zone have inclusions that are more easily visible to the eyes, however eye clean ones are out there.

5. If you get to know me I''m all about its optics combined with structural integrity. Otherwise I will not back such a stone with lifetime policies. Large vs smaller ... I''m equally anal on smaller than I am larger except more careful with the clarity as explained in 4.
34.gif
1.gif

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results