shape
carat
color
clarity

9.5mm lab diamond good or bad buy??

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I posted recently about what to do with a budget of a gift of money I received from my husband for my 40th birthday. After a chat with him he agreed to the upgrade in combination for our 15th anniversary this December. My plan is to share wearing time between current ring and upgrade. I’ve looked extensively and kept coming back to this one. I purchased it but can be returned if it wasn’t a good buy. I went with it cause it was 34.6/40.8.

It is an H but the color is just fine to me. My earrings are K/L color and I don’t ever see the color difference. My current ring is earth mined D but that wasn’t cause I’m color sensitive it just happened to be a D when I bought it.

I love the fire of the diamond I bought!! I’m hopefully getting it for $2,647, trying to get them to honor a price it was listed at yesterday and this morning. I want to make sure the cut is just right since this will be it for a diamond ring upgrade. So maximizing size is ideal hence why I went with H.

If it’s no good can y’all help me???
Ideally 9.5mm carat size not a priority but close to 9.5mm. Bigger the better
Eye clean SI1 is ok as long as it doesn’t affect performance and eye clean.
Color I or better. yellow hue is ok but not brown, pink, grey or blue
Budget I promised my husband $2,700 or below.

Thanks for your eyes!!!!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a bad stone by any means, but there may be a bit of leakage due to unevenness in the pavilion. Can you keep your hold on it and request an ASET image? I did a search and couldn't find any better stone.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!! I am so fascinated by your knowledge and how you pick up on things. Out of curiosity how do you tell the pavilion is uneven?

I will request the aset image once their chat is open.

What if I went down in size a tidge like 9.3-9.4mm and gave the budget a tidge of wiggle room? I have a ton of stones saved in my wishlist that are within recommended specs but when it comes to the combo of pavilion and crown I’m not certain the best pick. That’s why I’ve searched for the 34.6/40.8 combo.

If this stone isn’t right I may need to wait a few weeks for V-day to be done. I’ve noticed earlier this week prices were lower and they’ve been creeping up the last couple days at least on Ritani. I also may still have them ship it for me to look at in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!! I am so fascinated by your knowledge and how you pick up on things. Out of curiosity how do you tell the pavilion is uneven?

I will request the aset image once their chat is open.

What if I went down in size a tidge like 9.3-9.4mm and gave the budget a tidge of wiggle room? I have a ton of stones saved in my wishlist that are within recommended specs but when it comes to the combo of pavilion and crown I’m not certain the best pick. That’s why I’ve searched for the 34.6/40.8 combo.

If this stone isn’t right I may need to wait a few weeks for V-day to be done. I’ve noticed earlier this week prices were lower and they’ve been creeping up the last couple days at least on Ritani. I also may still have them ship it for me to look at in person.

There are some dark triangle shaped spots of leakage that are typically a result of pavilion twist. This can be either intentional by a cutter looking to retain carat weight or unintentional by a cutter that did quick/sloppy work.

It may have an impact on overall light return and optical performance.

Screenshot_20230202-080814-238.png

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I have requested the ASET image for the stone, they said it would take a few days, so we will see if i actually get it.

Here is a question, my original diamond engagement ring is a very good cut. It is a 1.75ct. If I can't find a better stone for my price and compared to my current diamond I am assuming it will be a better performer?

With pavilion twist, does it drastically effect the performance? Or would this be only noticeable to those who can tell the difference between super ideal and ideal? (I struggled with this when at continental diamond helping my friend pick out earrings. I wonder if the best thing for me to do is when I receive it (if i don't abort before it is delivered) is to take it over to continental diamond and compare it to some 8xs they have there (which are way out of my budget). I don't know if my untrained eye can tell the difference. But I also don't want to make a bad purchase in the end.

It is looking though like they won't notch the price down to $2647 (where it was yesterday morning cause they say the price was an error) so it is looking like it will be $3,000. I can up my budget to $3,000 I think. Would it be bad to buy a couple stones (maybe find one that might be slightly smaller that doesn't have a pavilion twist) and compare and return the loser? I am paranoid about making a dumb purchase.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Skidiamond41 are you here? I found one that I want to post, but I don't want someone else to snipe it from you.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
@DejaWiz I am. Before you post it is the easiest way to put it on hold by buying it or messaging them?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am. Before you post it is the easiest way to put it on hold by buying it or messaging them?

Message them first to see if they can swap it, then I'll post it when you tell me too...or ping me at Reddit if you're over there.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I have requested the ASET image for the stone, they said it would take a few days, so we will see if i actually get it.

Here is a question, my original diamond engagement ring is a very good cut. It is a 1.75ct. If I can't find a better stone for my price and compared to my current diamond I am assuming it will be a better performer?

With pavilion twist, does it drastically effect the performance? Or would this be only noticeable to those who can tell the difference between super ideal and ideal? (I struggled with this when at continental diamond helping my friend pick out earrings. I wonder if the best thing for me to do is when I receive it (if i don't abort before it is delivered) is to take it over to continental diamond and compare it to some 8xs they have there (which are way out of my budget). I don't know if my untrained eye can tell the difference. But I also don't want to make a bad purchase in the end.

Regarding how drastically it would affect performance, I'd want to see an ASET image on the 3.46 to see how much leakage there is. With enough leakage, you would likely be able to tell the difference. Most diamonds will sparkle in spotlighting, but the better cut diamonds will perform well in a large variety of environments.

It is looking though like they won't notch the price down to $2647 (where it was yesterday morning cause they say the price was an error) so it is looking like it will be $3,000. I can up my budget to $3,000 I think. Would it be bad to buy a couple stones (maybe find one that might be slightly smaller that doesn't have a pavilion twist) and compare and return the loser? I am paranoid about making a dumb purchase.

I hope DejaWiz was able to find you a good stone! It's not a bad idea at all to buy a couple stones and return one. That way you can wear both around all your usual lighting conditions and let your eyes be the judge.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info!! I did request it this morning.

DejaWiz did find a great option! I put it on hold requested an ASET image and video. I will plan to post both asets, both videos (if i can figure it out) and both in real life pictures to help make a determination. I will keep looking just in case something else pops up.

I did keep my search going and when perusing at a higher price point the diamond DejaWiz recommended popped up in the search for $1,000 more than when I put it on hold at. I just asked them if they would honor the original price and I was told they should.

I did have them confirm it was not adjusted due to a pricing error and they confirmed it was not. So hopefully they honor the $2,849 price point. They keep just saying "yes, we should be able to honor that pricing for you." Time will tell.

If they don't that will be two times they would have told me they'd honor the price and then not.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skidiamond41, did you see this one? It could be a real fireball, with the whopping 16% crown height and 54.5% table.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
I did see that one. I think I passed on it because of the hue of the color I felt it leaned more towards a gray brown. I tend to lean towards a yellowish hue. But the color may not be as noticeable for me not magnified. I can’t be too incredibly picky with my budget.

I saved it as an option if the asets on the others and bluntly obvious as no goes.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just kindly pointing out that this one has a pretty prominent planar growth grain/layer:

Screenshot_20230202-162445-350.png

Oh, good catch! I got overly enamored with the proportions. :D

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Alright so I am doubting i am going to get an aset on either diamond. I am still waiting for a video on the 3.17 that Dejwa recommended…

I have been obsessively searching! I am starting to wonder what would happen if I upped the budget to say $3,300ish (give or take)? I’d ideally like to hit that 9.5mm with a well performing diamond. I am 100% ok with CVD as long as it does not have prominent striation (don’t recall the exact lingo or spelling).

I have a million diamonds tagged but I don’t know where to start to narrow! I only tagged ones with the following:
Table 55-58
Depth 60 or great
Crown 34-35 (went above 35 if the pavilion was lower than 40.6 but tried to stay below 35.5) I found one with a 35 crown and 40.5 pavilion I really liked.
Pavilion: attempting to stay between 40.6 and 40.9
Tagged any color and clarity with above criteria as long as the video appealed to my eye. I did tag up to $3,400

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found an HPHT 3.22 F VS2 (no blue nuance!) with a 40.5/35.7/55.5 combo, a taller 16% crown height, hits 9.47mm, and no major signs of symmetry precision issues such as pavilion twist for $3510. There may be some slight paddling out at the crown that could be noticable at closer viewing distances.

Didn't find much else, but I limit my searches to a 56% crown width.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright so I am doubting i am going to get an aset on either diamond. I am still waiting for a video on the 3.17 that Dejwa recommended…

I have been obsessively searching! I am starting to wonder what would happen if I upped the budget to say $3,300ish (give or take)? I’d ideally like to hit that 9.5mm with a well performing diamond. I am 100% ok with CVD as long as it does not have prominent striation (don’t recall the exact lingo or spelling).

I have a million diamonds tagged but I don’t know where to start to narrow! I only tagged ones with the following:
Table 55-58
Depth 60 or great
Crown 34-35 (went above 35 if the pavilion was lower than 40.6 but tried to stay below 35.5) I found one with a 35 crown and 40.5 pavilion I really liked.
Pavilion: attempting to stay between 40.6 and 40.9
Tagged any color and clarity with above criteria as long as the video appealed to my eye. I did tag up to $3,400

What do you think of these?

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both!!! You all are such a life save i am tormenting myself over here.

so i am comparing all of my additional options to this one I already purchased.

@DejaWiz do you think this would be a better option than the 3.17 you shared before? the 3.22 is a bit over budget but I would like to have something in comparison to the one i already bought that might have the pavilion twist.

@Kim N I added both to my short list. I need to take a couple minutes to look at them. I am also going to put them on a 24 hr hold; which they said they'd try.. Can you tell me between those two you shared what is your favorite?...

I did find a Gcal SI1 clarity but its $900 over budget but also hits the 9.5 marker... inclusions are fine by me on that one... but its $900 over not certain the husband would be on board with that.

I found these also as a SI1... But no idea i am still learning.

Or this one?

or this on the smaller side...

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both!!! You all are such a life save i am tormenting myself over here.

so i am comparing all of my additional options to this one I already purchased.

@DejaWiz do you think this would be a better option than the 3.17 you shared before? the 3.22 is a bit over budget but I would like to have something in comparison to the one i already bought that might have the pavilion twist.

@Kim N I added both to my short list. I need to take a couple minutes to look at them. I am also going to put them on a 24 hr hold; which they said they'd try.. Can you tell me between those two you shared what is your favorite?...

I did find a Gcal SI1 clarity but its $900 over budget but also hits the 9.5 marker... inclusions are fine by me on that one... but its $900 over not certain the husband would be on board with that.

I found these also as a SI1... But no idea i am still learning.

Or this one?

or this on the smaller side...

Between the two I posted, I like the 3.55 better. Of the ones you just posted, I only really like this one.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Kim N !! I put the 3.55 on hold and the 3.42. Now I need to decide...

I passed on the 3.22 because the price is just more than I can spend. I am pushing my husband's sanity by upping it to $3,300ish.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
The 3.46 i originally bought is coming today without the ASET image. I am anxious to see it in person. I did reach out to continental diamonds to see if they would be able to help me assess the stones in person offering to pay an hourly rate so we will see what they say. I still have the 3.55 and 3.42 on hold. I found the 3.42 for $500 cheaper on a different site. Debating if I should buy these two (spread them out on different websites so i don't get stuck with return policies). I only have 15 days with this first stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3.46 i originally bought is coming today without the ASET image. I am anxious to see it in person. I did reach out to continental diamonds to see if they would be able to help me assess the stones in person offering to pay an hourly rate so we will see what they say. I still have the 3.55 and 3.42 on hold. I found the 3.42 for $500 cheaper on a different site. Debating if I should buy these two (spread them out on different websites so i don't get stuck with return policies). I only have 15 days with this first stone.

I'd do it to compare all three at the same time. I also like your idea of buying them on two different websites.

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Here’s a couple initial photos of 3.46. I am wearing a black shirt. I have to say it blew me away! Especially when compared to my very good cut mined. I have some videos but I don’t know how to post those. 9C3C7CE7-6574-4F45-A015-4DB4DFADBF3C.jpeg

Attachments

• 5CA250BC-5629-47C8-99A6-3C2757BAB545.jpeg
    5CA250BC-5629-47C8-99A6-3C2757BAB545.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 79F1574F-0B04-4F35-8B64-919572E1BDBB.jpeg
    79F1574F-0B04-4F35-8B64-919572E1BDBB.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 33
  • ED69A754-50C1-402F-8FE0-FCF4775B89E5.jpeg
    ED69A754-50C1-402F-8FE0-FCF4775B89E5.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 31
  • AA4CA3A4-C7D0-4837-8190-598BED599508.jpeg
    AA4CA3A4-C7D0-4837-8190-598BED599508.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a couple initial photos of 3.46. I am wearing a black shirt. I have to say it blew me away! Especially when compared to my very good cut mined. I have some videos but I don’t know how to post those. 9C3C7CE7-6574-4F45-A015-4DB4DFADBF3C.jpeg

That looks amazing!

Skidiamond41

Shiny_Rock
Right!!!! I was waiting for it to go dark because of the potential pavilion twist and maybe it is but I don't see it.

I have three other stones I am going to purchase from three other vendors to compare.

Any tips on posting videos??

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Right!!!! I was waiting for it to go dark because of the potential pavilion twist and maybe it is but I don't see it.

I have three other stones I am going to purchase from three other vendors to compare.

Imgur, YouTube, Google Drive, etc. :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock

Hi. I used Rumble to post videos. It was easy and I just made the videos private only to whomever had the link. Then I just posted the link. I don't know how to post them inline. Maybe someone can answer that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results