shape
carat
color
clarity

.84 I SI1 pendant from JA, should I keep it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I posted before looking to find a stone for a bezel set pendant. I ended up choosing a .84 I SI1 very good cut from JA (w/ strong fluorescence). It arrived today! THe numbers on the stone weren''t the best for a pendant, so I knew I was taking some risk.

The good news is that the stone faces up totally white. But, it doesn''t seem to be as sparkly as I was hoping it would be. I''m starting to doubt my choice a little. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think. I think the photos show that the cut seems to be very good, but I guess I was expecting more in terms of sparkle.

Here are some pics, first, in the box...

morenecklace 004small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a closer view...

morenecklace 005small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can see the grade-setting inclusion in this one, on the lower left. But it's totally eye clean without the magnification. Sorry for all the fuzzies on it...I didn't have a very good cloth to clean it with.

ETA: It's pretty obvious what color shirt I'm wearing, huh? LOL

morenecklace 008small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic with my studs (which are 1.3 ctw, G, SI2). Now that I see this...do you think it looks weird to have a bezel pendant but prong studs?

morenecklace 022small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I admit, I was having a lot of fun taking pics...

necklace 007small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, this was my best attempt at catching some sparkle/fire. It really wasn't easy to do.
7.gif
Maybe that's partially why I'm concerned that it isn't sparkling enough. It's a touch deep at 62.6%, so maybe that's part of why?

necklace 006small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 1:02:35 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 7/19/2006 12:53:24 PM

Author: FacetFire

Here''s a pic with my studs (which are 1.3 ctw, G, SI2). Now that I see this...do you think it looks weird to have a bezel pendant but prong studs?

I think its yummy and gorgeous.. but you have to wear it. Its actually just what I''m looking to have made for myself for my late 40th bday present. lol

Ooooh, you should go for it! I was amazed at what you can get for the money once you start thinking bezel and pendant, which for me meant I could go lower in color and clarity. Any ideas for stones yet, or is this idea just in the beginning stages?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Ooops, I almost forgot the all important neck shot. Here ya go...
41.gif

morenecklace 037small.JPG

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try test-driving it in a variety of lighting conditions, and then see how you feel. I know that my ring doesn''t sparkle nearly as much in my darkish bedroom or dining room, but it blazes in our living room.

It''s a very pretty pendant!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love it! I would keep, but only if it makes you happy. Perhaps wear it for a few days and see how it feels.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful but if you have serious doubts maybe you should keep looking.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Matatora and Kristy, I think that''s my plan. I''m going to wear it a bit and see how it feels and looks in different situations and lighting. I think maybe my expectations might have been a little too high, since it was the first time I purchased online and bought a premium stone. Thanks for the compliments, though, it really makes me feel a lot better about it!

Tacori, I did visit all the sites again, and it still feels like the best in my budget. But maybe I''ll keep checking over the next couple days while I wear it to make sure. Thanks!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s beautiful but like the others suggest giving it a few days. I think people really do expect their diamonds to light up from within or something after all the raves here... I can see how anyone would be a bit disappointed, even in a finely cut stone. They can''t perform miracles. I know if I ever order an upgrade I''ll probabaly be disappointed because I''ll expect it to glow in the dark or something or shoot our laser beams from it''s facets...

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s beautiful, but I would want a stone that performs extremely well in the lighting conditions in which I''m usually in. So, I agree with the others--take it for a test drive! Also, you might want to consider having a friend/family member wearing it for you so you can see it as others would
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 4:08:20 PM
Author: researcher
I think it''s beautiful, but I would want a stone that performs extremely well in the lighting conditions in which I''m usually in. So, I agree with the others--take it for a test drive! Also, you might want to consider having a friend/family member wearing it for you so you can see it as others would
1.gif
ditto that. i (kinda
11.gif
) like the idea of having someone else wear it so you can see how it looks. it''s so hard to get an idea when you can only look in the mirror!
37.gif

take your time deciding and make sure you are happy with it. that''s what the great return policy is there for!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 4:03:12 PM
Author: diamondsrock
I think it''s beautiful but like the others suggest giving it a few days. I think people really do expect their diamonds to light up from within or something after all the raves here... I can see how anyone would be a bit disappointed, even in a finely cut stone. They can''t perform miracles. I know if I ever order an upgrade I''ll probabaly be disappointed because I''ll expect it to glow in the dark or something or shoot our laser beams from it''s facets...

LOL! This is so true! I''ve seen that "Pricescope Effect" in other people''s posts, but I convinced myself that I knew a diamond could only do so much. I think this may be very true for me. As this day goes on, it seems to be sparkling more...such a mental thing!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Researcher and Belle, you guys might be right. It would be nice to see it on someone else. BUT, I don't think I'm ready to hand it over to anyone else yet! LOL Actually, I guess that tells me something, huh?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else. Take a few days and see how you like it. Then if you don''t love it send it back. I think it''s lovely but I''m not the one wearing it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pendant looks beautiful. What kind of mounting is that - I don''t see anything like that on their website.

I''m not sure about the cut or the numbers but I don''t know that you would find more sparkle even with better numbers. I have a similar type of pendant and I think because the diamond is almost vertical, encased in a bezel, and lies flat on your chest thus blocking out light from the back you aren''t going to get the type of sparkle you might with a ring on the hand. You are the one in the end that has to love it and if you don''t love it don''t keep it. The problem may be that you have nothing else to compare it to. From the pictures it looks gorgeous and if you are happy with the color and the clarity and the mounting, that goes a long way. I would call JA and tell them of your misgivings and get their take on it.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous FacetFire. It has it''s own personality you know? See how you like it in different light and if you have reservations maybe search for another diamond. I do like it very much though. =)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 6:14:20 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
I think the pendant looks beautiful. What kind of mounting is that - I don''t see anything like that on their website.

Hmmm...you''re right. It doesn''t match the one on the site. This is the one I ordered: http://www.jamesallen.com/create-your-diamond-pendant/solitaire-pendants/Default.asp?module=setting&cid=164&item=785&name=14WB

But, I actually like the bezel I got better!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think the bezel set looks very classy, but with such a deep stone it will need some light coming in from the bottom. would you change to prongs? really heavy so it doesn''t "flip"

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 6:31:04 PM
Date: 7/19/2006 1:15:33 PM

Date: 7/19/2006 1:02:35 PM

Date: 7/19/2006 12:53:24 PM

I think its yummy and gorgeous.. but you have to wear it. Its actually just what I''m looking to have made for myself for my late 40th bday present. lol

Ooooh, you should go for it! I was amazed at what you can get for the money once you start thinking bezel and pendant, which for me meant I could go lower in color and clarity. Any ideas for stones yet, or is this idea just in the beginning stages?

Mine will be a .50 round J-SI1.. I love my jeweler and he''s going to make it for me, similar to the bezel set on BlueNile.com. I''ll have a tiny figaro chain to hang it on.. Its allllready planned
2.gif
I won''t probably have it until Christmas.. but that''s ok :)

btw.. your neck shot is stunning!

That sounds beautiful! I went to bluenile and checked out their bezel...I really like it! I never thought to even look at their site. I can''t wait to see yours when it''s done!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 6:44:26 PM
Author: ladykemma
i think the bezel set looks very classy, but with such a deep stone it will need some light coming in from the bottom. would you change to prongs? really heavy so it doesn''t ''flip''

I really have my heart set on a bezel. Probably because it makes the stone look bigger.
41.gif
But I also like how the bezel really accents a well cut stone...gives contrast to the "glow." I think this one is growing on me though...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
how do you like the fluor?

i could see flash of blue on one of your pictures

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 6:54:21 PM
Author: ladykemma
how do you like the fluor?

i could see flash of blue on one of your pictures

Honestly, other than the "I" color looking VERY white, I can't notice the fluorescence. I took it out into the sunlight to see if I could see that bluish glow that some people on here talk about, but I didn't notice any. I've always wanted a stone with strong blue fluor, though. My mom had this ring growing up with strong blue fluor, and I was obsessed with it. We used to go do that midnight/glow bowling thing where you bowl as they play music and the place is lit with blacklight. Her ring used to glow so brightly...I thought it was the neatest thing. Ever since then, I've always wanted to own one. That's part of what attracted me to this stone. I've actually been thinking about where I could go to see it glow! LOL

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i tend to see it when i''m driving. it''s a fleeting thing.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgous to me and I do love the design of that bezel setting! I''d definitely ask a friend to try it on and look at it on her neck....I''ve done that with several pieces of my jewelry and thought WOW - that looks so good, I''m keeping it!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my own personal preference is i think the bezel is too thick for the stone...i like the idea of a bezel but i like really thin ones. but it''s a preference thing. in terms of the stone, it looks very bright and lively, but i don''t know if bezelling a deeper stone is the way to go...you may be unhappy with the visuals as some side effect on that. or maybe you just don''t like the look. or maybe it will grow on you! i do agree a few days with it will tell you yay or nay. in any case you should be really happy with the end result so make sure you are!! you will be wearing it. good luck!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I personally think it''s gorgeous and really if you keep it clean, it''s going to sparkle more than 99% of the stones you see around you. It''s hard not to be neurotic on PS :) I also have to say that I had an AGS1 stone in a 1/2 bezel and it was gorgeous but it did take away the fire that it had with the temporary holder. I kept it in the bezel because I loved the bezel. It''s a personal preference and I know you can''t tell from pictures but it looks gorgeous to me. If you don''t want it..............you can send it over, although I have a .75 3 stone pendant I won''t ever take off my neck (except to put it into my new ultrasonic). LOL

Oh by the way, I have a prong set pendant with I colored expert selection ideals from Whiteflash and on the neck, I really don''t notice a lot of sparkle. Maybe it''s because I can''t see it on my neck in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results