shape
carat
color
clarity

8* Pricing Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billyb

Rough_Rock
What price range am I looking at for a 1 carat D color vvs1 or vvs2 or vs1 Eightstar?

(I will see a dealer when I'm prepared to but right now I just want to get a rough idea.)

Thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
EightStar distributors will not post prices publicly. You may want to contact SteveL at www.demsjewelers.com and he can give you a quote.

Peace,
Rhino

golfer

Shiny_Rock
I think a good rule of thumb for Eightstar prices (at least what I've seen on this board) is to check Pricescope, find the best price on the stone you're looking for -- and double it.

wade_44

Rough_Rock
I could tell you, but it might be deleted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw a few 8*s at a local jeweler and they were very pricey. I think I looked at a 1.5c and it was over $15k. They also had a 1.1c that was around $9k I believe..and it was a J SI1 which we were not interested in.

You might be able to get better prices that are more competitive with non 8* diamonds online, through some of the jewelers who frequent this forum who are authorized 8* dealers. Run a search on past 8* posts to see who has purchased, then maybe find out who they dealt with and if they were happy with pricing.

I do also want to say (and this is just my opinion) that I wasn't super impressed with the 8* diamonds I saw. I saw 2 8*s and compared them against an AGS Ideal (though I know this is a very broad spectrum), and the 8* just looked slightly more fiery. The reason I went to see the 8* is because I wanted to see what commanded such the high premium and if it was worth it. I decided it was not..though I have seen a few 8* pictures posted by people on this forum recently and they were stunning. Maybe it depends on the stone.

Good luck!:))

billyb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Mara! After heeding Rhino's advice, I was fortunate enough to see some 8*s compared to AGS Ideals as well as other 'regular' diamonds. The symmetry in the Firescope was amazing for the 8*! However, without the Firescope, my consumer eyes couldn't really tell the difference. The prices were higher than I'd hoped but they weren't absurd IMO.

golfer, I think that is a pretty darn accurate rule of thumb!!! ;-)

At this point, it doesn't look like I'm going to sacrifice the other Cs for the Eightstar cut. I was shown the worldwide inventory for 8*s as of a few days ago and upon realizing that there were less than 40 stones on that list it became even more clear how special and truly unique these stones are. If an 8* is the Rolls Royce of diamond cuts, I'd be ecstatic to have a Mercedes (an Ideal cut with excellent Firescope image). :bigsmile: ::)

golfer

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/16/2002 2:37:01 AM

golfer, I think that is a pretty darn accurate rule of thumb!!! ;-)

----------------

Thanks. I think it works, too. My take on Eightstar's (given my rule of thumb for pricing) is that they are only worth it if:

1) You have maxed out the other C's to your cost-neutral preferences (except perhaps clarity)

and

2) Money is not a live issue -- at least, you don't care about doubling your price after you've maxed out the other C's

and/or

3) You have some other reason to believe that an Eightstar is virtually demanded by the person you are shopping for (or yourself), assuming that the person understands #1 and #2 and has a rational reason for wanting the Eightstar, given the pricing rule of thumb and #1 + #2.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations where these rules might apply, but I think Eightstars are 95% hype and marketing.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I have to chime in on this. I wouldn't say that is a good rule of thumb. I just looked up some 1 carat AGS Ideals here on pricescope. A 1ct that I have quoted to someone is 48% more money.

I just think you need to take it on a case by case bases.

Happy Holidays!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results