shape
carat
color
clarity

8* diamond and Michael Devlin Jeweler setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
A dream come true - 1.32 eight star diamond ring (which looks as large as a 1.56 carat because of the enormous amount of sparkle) with custom setting from Michael Devlin Jewelry. They are both very very wonderful to work with. I had my diamond recut by 8* directly at Eight Star company. They provide a GIA cert with the recut. Also, the girdle is inscribed with the inscription 8 Star and your unique number. How Kool is all that for a recut! I don’t mean to brag but the 8* will take your breath away!!! No joke! It sparkles even in low light settings. It is everything wonderful and beautiful as they say an 8* is. If you have an ugly dull diamond, you can get it recut to an 8*. Go to their website. Plan ahead, if its going to be for a special occasion, as it takes a couple of months to get it all done. Also, you might want to reset the recut diamond into another setting and you may want a custom setting, like I did.

If you want a custom made setting go to Michael Devlin Jewelry website too. I liked the way the diamond is being cradled in the setting …after all the 8* is precious and its my baby. Also, I wanted to have some platinum in the setting to add weight and I wanted a two tone look. I didn’t want the setting done completely in platinum because after some wear, it tends to look like silver jewelry and become dull looking. I had mind done in platinum on the outer part and 18k on the main part of the ring.

I am happy, happy, happy!!! I want to sing to my eight star diamond “You’re too good to be true. I can’t take my eyes off of you.” … you know the song. Everyone start singing!!! See pics below. Do you like?

Mine.jpg

lols99

Rough_Rock
Looks so pretty!!!
4.gif

Can I ask you some questions about your stone? I never considered recutting but since seeing the information pop up so much on this site I wonder if it is a good idea for me. I have a 1.61ct round g/vvs1 but I don't find that it's really "on fire". I wonder if the recutting is an option? Is it pricey?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think all stones are prime candidates for recutting...maybe one of the experts can chime in with what can and can't be done?

lols99

Rough_Rock
I'd appreciate the insight! I did go the the 8* sight and it looks impressive. I have asked them to contact me too but hoped to have more information than just rely on what they tell me...

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Lols99 - I sent you a lengthy private message to answer your questions. Look in your private messages queue. I do agree with Mara though.

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
Dear Meraj,

Love your setting!! I have the same design from Michael (see on page 5 under the Eye Candy folder) but went with the 900 plat/100 iridium alloy and the shine has not dulled at all. Has worn just as well as my previous white gold setting. Michael was awesome to work with and makes gorgeous pieces.

Did you have your bands soldered to the e-ring? My appraiser recommended that I solder to keep the rings from moving and wearing against each other but I haven't done that yet. Still not sure if I want to.

I've had my ring for six months and just absolutely love it. I get many comments. I'm sure you do too. Just last week I was on a plane and the woman next to me recognized it being a Michael Devlin piece.

Enjoy!!

Sheila

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Sheila - I did have the bands soldered together by Michael. I saw your setting and fell in love w/it and I went to Michael's Web site to take a closer look at it. I had such a hard time trying to decide if I should go w/the metals you did or go for the gold. Since I couldn't decide, I went for part of it being platinum & gold. I do love my setting and I think he did an excellent job also. What I love best about the setting is that I don't have to worry about my ring getting caught in anything or having it scratch my spouse. I used to always scratch my spouse w/the tiffany style pronged ring. I gave you a private e-mail awhile back regarding cleaning this type of ring but you didn't respond. How are you cleaning your ring?

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if you think it would be possible to recut a teardrop or pear shape diamond into an 8*. I have a 2 ct. And it would be awsome to have it done. It was given to me from my Grand Mother but with intentions to be traded in but I think it would mean more to have the same stone just recut. How much does it cost to be done and what do they do with the left overs. Thanks for any info you can provide because it is hard to find info on the 8*. Thanks...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on a unique ring design and your re-cut...

stumpy

Rough_Rock
I, too, am a proud EightStar owner. Their new packaging includes a nice prong type holder and a splendid wooden box. That is especially nice for me since I won't be having it set for several months.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Tazman282 - You can write to Eight Star for your answers. There is no obligation to buy and they will be happy to talk to you. That is what I did. They are very nice and very helpful. Go to www.eightstar.com/

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! That's beautiful, just stunning. I remember looking at the Michael Devlin site after seeing the first person's ring -- that design has such a beautiful flow to it. Great choice!

Hope you'll post pictures on your finger, too!

Kris

carenw

Rough_Rock
Could you please let me know how much you have paid for recutting your diamond by 8*? I would like to have one of my diamond recut but haven't decide where to send for recutting. Thanks!

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am very close to having my new EightStar set. You may know that I lost the first ring and had it insured on a rider so I got full value for it. I was lucky enough to get virtually the same spec EightStar again, so I am happy. I just can't quite find the setting I want, but have a few in mind.

The EightStar folks are quite firm about not having clients discuss recut prices, so I have heard....Besides, it probably varies depending upon the degree of work involved, so having people compare $ is bad for everyone. Just my opinion on that.

The EightStar Firescope image makes a great tattoo, BTW.

d_vader

Rough_Rock
How many carats was your diamond before the recut?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
His last post was in 2003 so he probably won''t see this. I would just contact 8* if you have a diamond you wanted to recut.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 12:02:55 AM
Author: d_vader
How many carats was your diamond before the recut?

d_vader, meraj hasn''t posted here since 2003
2.gif

He did give the following info in this thread

it was a 1.56 and after the recut it was 1.32. Remember, it is not how BIG the diamond is but how much it sparkles. No, I didn''t think it was that expensive. I thought it was well worth it because I now don''t have to look at an ugly diamond on my finger and get mad/sad everytime I look at it but now I can look at a gorgeous one that makes me VERY happy. Did you go to the eight star web site? You should give them info so they can talk to you personally. They are super nice and helpful. You have nothing to lose to talk to Eight Star, except for the ugly diamond. If you go to the forum site, you can read stories of others who also got their diamonds recut. You have to click on to the Buy an Eight Star icon on the right had side (it may take a short wait to see the diamond icon come up or you have to scroll down a bit) and once there, click on to the eight star community site to enter the forum. By the way, before the recut the HCA score was 3.7 and received a score of Good in all categories except spread was Excellent. After the recut, the light return, fire, scintillation, & spread came out Excellent per HCA cut adviser with a score of .7 and within the TIC (.4). I''m happy, happy, happy!!!

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results