shape
carat
color
clarity

7k for 1.77 I/vvs OEC isa good deal?

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
I’m looking into a ring for sale privately and I was wondering what you think of the asking price. It’s 7.8mm, 1.77 carats I / VVS OEC that “appears to be a re-cut with a medium to small girdle” (All According to the appraisal.) No papers. The pics are not very close up but looks pretty. It’s set in a Tiffany 6 prong 14k gold setting. I’m waiting on video and better pics. This is everything I know about the ring so far.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe not. Many well-cut OECs face up several grades whiter than they are. If you are actually buying a 1.77 L-M V1, then 7k is not a great deal.

I just sold a super-white (but actually GIA M) stone around this size, through friend consignment, for quite a bit less.

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn‘t pay that price for an ungraded diamond unless they have a very reasonable return policy so you can at least get it appraised. If it’s final sale/not returnable, ask the seller to send it to GIA. If it comes back with a grades of what they estimate or higher, you’ll pay the cost (couple hundred bucks).

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
If the grading is indeed accurate, is the asking price about right ? I would be negotiating further anyway since this is a starting price but I don’t know enough (just started getting educated on OECs myself) but I would like to know if this price is in the ballpark of “reasonable” at all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have a good return policy?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, you have no idea as to the real color and clarity etc. Who’s grading this stone? If it’s not a reputable lab all bets are off. And then you can’t know if the price you’re paying is fair.

Additionally, those pics aren’t sufficient to evaluate the stone. We need face on pics and videos and preferably indoors and outdoors.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
You mentioned a re-cut.
Is it a real oec or just cut to look like one?

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
That’s a good question about the re cut. What difference would it make? I’m waiting for a lot more info and pictures. I just don’t know a lot right now but I hope to get more info soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a good question about the re cut. What difference would it make? I’m waiting for a lot more info and pictures. I just don’t know a lot right now but I hope to get more info soon.

Big difference if you want a genuine antique but if you don’t care then it’s less important. If you want perfect optics you could commission a newly cut stone made to look antique. Victor Canera has his CER line and Jonathan has his AVR line.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It seems to be well priced if it is what it says it is. A recut of an older diamond is not necessarily a bad thing at all - I have had to have a OEC diamond recut after receiving a large chip - it lost .08 points but greatly improved the look over leaving the chip in it to me and was still a OEC. I would suggest that you look at Old World Diamonds website - you can put in a range of specs and pull up similar loose diamonds and compare prices and then decide if buying from a individual is worth the whatever the difference in price is to you. Hopefully it will help you figure out your acceptable level of risk vs savings. Another good resource for pricing is Jewels by Grace. She has loose diamonds and I really like that she leaves the price of what things sold for unlike a lot of other places. Really helps when trying to research pricing of older cut diamonds. I believe all her diamonds over 1 carat are certified so you know exactly what you are getting. I will say that every time I have bought diamonds from individuals with appraisals they have been more favorable than GIA - make sure you really like the diamond and would be happy with the price even if it were to come back not as expected. We usually buy jewelry for our own pleasure and enjoyment so that is the key - do you love it? Daytime in the shade pictures will give you a better view of the pattern. GIA certification really is not that expensive - a few hundred dollars so maybe offer to pay for it for your own peace of mind and make the sale price contingent on the results. Good Luck in your search!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
I’ll check those out. Sadly for me the 1.7 sold today. Guess it was priced right for someone !

oldworlddiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
$7000 is a very good price for a 1.77 I/VVS2 (-49% off Rap). Having that said, if the stone doesn't have a GIA report it might not be a I/VVS. I would have stone sent to GIA for a report. -a-

Vintagedream

Rough_Rock
This buyer backed out at the 11th hour so the ring is still available. I was going to encourage the seller to get a GIA report. But is that going to make the price go up? Would it be better to have a jeweler look at it and Just eyeball It for me? (Assuming when I see it in person I love it). Here are some new pics. I have a video but I don’t know how to post it here 2A2ADD30-B01B-449F-8463-AB8D9015F8B4.jpeg F9629A42-35DE-474E-948B-0B9B71D48649.jpeg 2A2ADD30-B01B-449F-8463-AB8D9015F8B4.jpeg F9629A42-35DE-474E-948B-0B9B71D48649.jpeg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think any stone over a carat is worth getting certified, so it'd be in the vendor's interest to make sure they are selling an I/VVS2. I'd hate to be in a situation where you buy it, and then get it appraised to find it's two grades lower in colour and clarity (and therefore not worth the price paid). The vendor can just say that they gave you an estimate and it was up to you to take it as an accurate estimate. It looks like a great stone to me but I'd want more assurance.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks too warm for an I.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Terrible photos. Unvalidated assertions on stone size, colour, clarity, and patterning. Lacking any assessment of current condition. Setting is generic and of negligible worth.

You could be spending $7000 when you ought to have paid $10000 or more retail. You could also be spending $7000 when you ought to have paid $4000 or less retail.

Do you trust yourself to be able to evaluate the stone and judge fair market price? If so, then continue. If not, then first step would be to make the sale contingent on either GIA report or (another, independent) appraisal. Key word here is "independent" - remember that a jeweller will have an agenda that most likely conflicts with impartial judgment of a third-party stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results