shape
carat
color
clarity

7000 to spend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

izkid

Rough_Rock
Willing to spend 7000. What specs should I be looking for if I wanted a 1.20 diamond? Also what are some trusted online dealers? Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
This looks like it could be a winner. - for your budget.

It''s good that you''ve set your budget.
The next step, in my opinion, is to determine what color grade you can live with.
Some people are color sensitive; I happen to be one of them.
Some are not as color sensitive.

Clarity seems to be psychological. It''s all in what you can live with.
Some need a higher clarity, while others are happy as long as the stone is "eye clean".
Eye clean means there are no visible inclusions when viewed from 12 or so inches away.

Many have been very happy with ideal H&As in an H color, and SI1 clarity.
I suggest you find out what your honey''s personal preferences are.
Do some leg work, look around - see what catches your eye.

MarLO

izkid

Rough_Rock
The diamond in the post above was really nice, but I'm trying to look for something where the defects are not right in the center. I would rather have a Ideal stone than the H&A's which I'm not as concerned about.
I did want something a little larger than your avg. 1 carat, without sacrifcing cut quality(was willing to go a little into the 7000's also). I would want either an AGS 0 or 1 I think. In my other post yesterday I said that I was looking at SI1's and H colors. I used the pricescope search, but it looked like most of the sites didnt' have the cert to look at. any suggestions? Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
when you use the ''pricescope your diamond'' feature, expand your search to include diamonds that are smaller in carat weight than what you are looking at. since the measurements for every diamond automatically come up, you may be able to find a lower carat weight with a larger spread (looks bigger).
diamonds without grading reports available are in virtual inventory, meaning that all vendors have access to them. these stones have to be shipped to the vendor to be seen.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2005 1:22:47 PM
Author: izkid

I''m trying to look for something where the defects are not right in the center.
How about G SI1 the inclusions are a couple of feathers on the side of the crown facets. Aside your rule above, I woul also prefer a stone with several small inclusions rather than a single large one, if feasible. And asie any rule based on clarity plots and pictures, still seeing is believing, IMO at least.

7265266.jpg

And this (LINK) is no-excuse VS1, I-VS1 that is:

di_GIA-14272174.jpg

The quality and looks of those pictures do not make the conparison even-handed, but, IMO, the G color has a bit of upper hand there. I can''t tell where those inclusions are despite magnification and there is a bit of legwork between G and I (not terribly stryking though). As far as remember from previous Pricescopers'' experience, DCD can provide detailed clarity photos allot better than those present by default on the site (much like the darkfield ones at Goo Old Gold). On the other hand, the other one is less expensive and darn tempting ! taugh call
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On another side... have you looked at Blue Nile ? There are a dozen or so H-Si1 AGS certifie rounds around 7k. These are probably not H&A (the store oes not specify anything about it, so how far or close they come to the standard it is hard to tell) but since that is no matter...

Among these, one stone sounds intriguing. It is the only VS2 around and it also is one of those cases where AGS grading diverges drastically from Garry's HCA analysis. That being an old AGS report, it is harder to tell what this stone will be graded like in the new AGS standard. Here it is

Stats:
59% depth, (great! 'cause this one is among the larger 1.2 cts because of it)
56% table,
31.8° crown angle,
41° pavilion angle

HCA reading:
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Excellent (fout 'Ex' isnot common...)

Total Visual Performance 0.6 - Excellent within BIC range

Since BN prices stones by cert (AGS vs. GIA) not directly observed performance (and neither lab did such grading back when those reports were issued, but each does do or prepars to do it now)... this is the one VS2 among SI1s in the price range.

So... If this is intriguing enough already, you can always OM Garry for details.

izkid

Rough_Rock
The GSI1 sounds pretty good valeria101. Does anyone have DiamCalc to run it through? Thanks

set2374

Rough_Rock
Considering your budget, I think that stone was really a "winner". Remember, the magnification is greater then 10X for that picture. You wouldn''t see a damn thing but a beautiful diamond when if it were in front of you. GOG has some really nice looking stones. Whiteflash has some great choices also. The best thing about these vendors is that they are very active on this site and take their repuations VERY seriously and they really care about their product.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You''ve got a great budget and target range. You should be able to find the one that has just the right inclusions and light return.

Check out the search by cut page. That''s where I always look when people ask for stones in a certain range.

That''s where I found this:

1.22 G SI1 H&A for $7.1k

Out of all the "usual" vendors, White Flash has the most stones in the 1.15-1.25 F-H VS2-SI1 range for your price range. They actually have more (6) than the other regular vendors combined (5). Since they have so much inventory, a phone call might be in order to talk to a "real person" who can pinpoint the one that will please you the most.

But remember, it''s easy to become obsessed! People who spend all of their free time at a diamond forum may not be the best people to give you perspective on what is really important.
2.gif
DiamondCalc and the HCA are good tools for ruling out the duds (and oh, how many of them there are), but I wouldn''t get all hung up on little differences if you''ve found a superbly cut stone.

P.S. Would you consider I color for a little more size? Yummy. (Look at the diameter, 7.08, compared to this slightly larger I at 7.02). You''re really getting a larger looking stone for a better value with the first one . . . and with a better HCA score).

P.P.S. If you do look into working with WhiteFlash, keep in mind that they offer a PS discount that is listed when you use the search engine here but which is not published on their site.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2005 2:26:59 PM
The GSI1 sounds pretty good valeria101. Does anyone have DiamCalc to run it through? Thanks
With the data available (just AGS numbers) DiamCalc cannot give you any more details than the HCA (see ''Cut Adviser'' under ''Tools'' on top of this page). Even if you had the full 3D Sarin file, the DC model could only offer and approximative version of the Ideal Scope image - nothingmore, really.

It would take a minute to run the numbers through the HCA and DCD can send an Ideal Scope picture. You could use the tool yourself uring the return period with pretty safe results, since the same has been used toselect that stone for the seller''s inventory in the first place.

Hope this helps.

ANd, well, if for what thatmatters several other guys (sellers or not) do have the DC around here. I do not have it on this computer...
38.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2005 2:26:59 PM
How's this...

sorry, file only appears (at least to me) as an attachment.

Attachments

• DCD071905a.gem
    1.4 KB · Views: 25

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
testing again...

dcd071905b.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2005 10:13:33 AM
what about this one:
http://www.mondera.com/diamonds/product.asp?partno=450140&sourceID=BPVd0yuZ5sA-u8Wc_ZlSqdZD5OVUfm0zMQ

any thoughts about the store and/or the stone?

Thanks
The stone itself looks gorgeous by the numbers, but I''d be a bit cautious in finding out more about Mondera''s policies on returns/upgrades before seriously considering them.

From what I see on their website, you can only return for exchange or credit (not refund). That is troublesome to me. If I''m reading their site correctly, refunds are only issued in the event their product is given as a gift, and then the refund goes to the gift purchaser, not the recipient.

Also, be aware that their 30-day policy is 30 days from time of shipment, not 30 days from time of your receipt of the goods. Still plenty of time, but different from most vendors and therefore worth making sure you know this up front.

I also don''t see any upgrade policies....that may or not be important to you, but if you''re thinking you may want to trade up this diamond down the road, there don''t seem to be any allowance from Mondera to do so. Other vendors allow full or partial trade value toward future purchases.

As long as their policies are ok with you, great selection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results