shape
carat
color
clarity

7.62ct Red Spinel Fell in My Lap! Now in 18k Yellow Ring.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The other day, I went to meet with my jeweler (he is the bench at a prominent local jewelry store, and he has been setting stones for me for many years) in his private studio to plan something for the AVC diamond that I got with my PS Holiday Raffle win, and he showed me a whole bunch of stones for fun. He has an incredible collection! He seems to be stocking up for the Apocalypse, haha! One of the stones took my breath away.

image_529.jpg

image_530.jpg

It is a glowing, vibrant red spinel. It's not precisely cut (native cut, I think), but it's deep and saturated, and it was love at first sight for me. He bought it in 2010 at a major jewelry industry show. It was sold to him as being from Myanmar. From the GIA cert:

Weight: 7.62 CT
Measurements: 12.16 X 10.02 X 7.38mm
Shape: Oval
Cutting Style: Crown - Brilliant Cut
Cutting Style: Pavilion - Step Cut
Transparency: Transparent
Color: Red
Species: Natural Spinel
Treatments: No indications of heating.

My jeweler wasn't planning to sell the stone, but I went crazy over it, haha, so he was willing to consider it. He needed some time to figure out a price. He had told me before I showed interest in it that he had gotten it for a good price (it was six years ago, and I'm sure spinel prices have risen since then). He is a fair person, and I was confident that he wouldn't gouge us, but I knew it would be a significant cost anyway.

My husband got home late that night from a business trip and I couldn't wait for him to wake up so I could talk to him about it! To my utter surprise and delight, he responded positively! When my jeweler came back with a price, it was within our budget!! We were not intending to spend a lot on jewelry this year, but stones like this don't show up all the time. So it was a go!

My jeweler had an 18k yellow gold 12x10 Stuller setting with diamond pave details that he sized for me today so I could have an instant ring. What fun! My diamond ring is on his bench in this picture, too, because he polished out some scratches that came from wearing it next to my AVC band. I'm going to have to think about adding a spacer.

image_540.jpg

I had some errands to run today, and I picked up the spinel ring on my way home. It's SO NEW to me that I haven't gotten to experience it in all the lighting conditions, but I ran around my house briefly to see the variations, and I love it! It shows all shades of red. It's RED red in the bedroom, and it shows pink in bright sunlight. I have seen both warmer and colder tones in it, and I look forward to exploring it more! Without further ado...

Here it is with my AVC band, just for fun. I'm actually going to wear it as a RHR, not an engagement ring.

image_546.jpg

And a few more photos:

image_547.jpg

image_545.jpg

image_544.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!

Q

Queenie60

Re: 7.62ct Red Spinel Fell in My Lap! Now in 18k Yellow Ring

It's absolutely gorgeous. What a great find!!! I love the setting - looks good on your hand. Enjoy :love:

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock

Wow..... Just wow <<drool>>.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yum Yum :love: :love: :love:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

Breathtaking!! :love: :love: :love:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Woah.. what a stunning ring!!!!
The color of the stone is so rich and the setting is royal.
Fantastic all around. Enjoy!!!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely beautiful color in that stone!! I totally see and understand why you fell for her! :love:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

wow!! :love: love it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blimey! That colour is just beautiful! It really suits the warmth of the gold - no wonder you are in love with it!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

OMFG that is the most spectacular red spinel ever!!! I love the setting you picked. Everything is perfect!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

That is utterly fantastic. It was SO meant to be! And can I say, as person who has spent many hours/days/months of her life trying to find the perfect colored stone, and spent many dollars buying and returning all of the junk out there: DAMN you for happening upon this amazing stone! I may throw a teeny little temper tantrum over in my corner of the world :lol: :lol:

Kidding of course. I'm totally thrilled for you! And that setting is perfection.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock

Yay! Happy news!! Love this ring with the contrast of red and yellow and the unexpected halo of diamonds at the bottom. So pretty!!! :love:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

WOW. Just WOW!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Crazy beautiful gem and ring!

cheers--Sharon

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

Incredible! Congratulations on such a great stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful color and the size looks great on you! I love the fact that you have such a good relationship with your jeweler that he looks out for you in such a major way. Simply awesome. Wear it in good health and longevity. :))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No words just :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks, everybody! :) :) :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Holy Smokes AMAZING SIZE and coloration. Gorgeous all around :love: :love: :love: :love:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Great complimentary setting for a spectacular stone! Wear it in good health!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful color and that setting is gorgeous! Lovely ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most of us could shop a lifetime and never come across a stone like that. Not to mention, it would be priced crazy high! Needless to say, it is gorgeous!!! :love: I'd be very inclined to reset in a halo just to give it more protection, though!

LateBloomer28

Rough_Rock

YOWZA!!! Everything about this ring is stunning... The amazing color, size, setting... And it looks awesome on your hand!! So happy for you - enjoy!! :appl: :love: :appl: :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW! Such a spectacular color! Enjoy your new bling!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Please, please, please let a stone like this fall in my lap! :D Wow! Wow! Wow! This is definitely a wondrous stone! I'm so glad the stars aligned to bring it to you! The color is just amazing! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I love that you have such a great relationship with your jeweler. The setting you chose looks amazing! Overall, it's just perfect! :appl: :appl:

So happy for you! :wavey:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, what a gorgeous stone!!! It's so vibrant and alive, love it!! Perfect right hand ring :bigsmile: .

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks so much for sharing my excitement, everyone! :dance:

diamondseeker2006|1458788954|4010202 said:
Most of us could shop a lifetime and never come across a stone like that. Not to mention, it would be priced crazy high! Needless to say, it is gorgeous!!! :love: I'd be very inclined to reset in a halo just to give it more protection, though!

Thanks! Yes, any time I have thought of a spinel, I have imagined a halo. Maybe someday we'll do that. I was in a crazy hurry (for no reason other than instant gratification) and my jeweler had this setting on hand. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing color! LOVE the setting!!t

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That color is gorgeous! The yellow gold really makes it stand out...perfect combination!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results