shape
carat
color
clarity

6 carat antique unheated sapphire-appreciate thoughts on…

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This looks so similar in style to what you got. Would you be trading up?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There’s two unheated Thai darker blue sapphire rings with diamond halos, one newer one vintage in the 6ct range that are retailing for 13-19k on 1st dibs.

Real apples to apples comparisons are incredibly difficult without knowing much more

Good find. eBay had not much similar.

I'd offer 30 percent off on that ring.

Not too far off what I said on the loose stone when considering the mounting.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There’s two unheated Thai darker blue sapphire rings with diamond halos, one newer one vintage in the 6ct range that are retailing for 13-19k on 1st dibs.

Real apples to apples comparisons are incredibly difficult without knowing much more

Lol I think the first one that you link is the same one that OP is talking about! Correct me if I’m wrong @Efleon!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is- I did not catch that.
That’d make it a horrible pick for comparison shopping :eh:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is both dark and undersaturated, like many Thai sapphires. Dark and very saturated is a matter of taste -- and bright light would make it shine. But dark and undersaturated is just meh imo. I get the "flashes" of color that you refer to and love -- but it should be clearly if not vividly blue pretty much all the time...

W

westofhere

If it is the 1st dibs ring, note that it’s already discounted on its Etsy listing, so negotiate based on that number:

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It seems like you really love it and that's all that matters. I know my sapphire ring could've been picked apart but it checked all of my boxes and was a stunner on my finger. You do you! Nothing wrong with wanting a darker sapphire if that's what speaks to your heart.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you wear it on your finger and the window doesn’t bug you at all, then I don’t think it’s a concern. You can also add a plate underneath to minimize the window, fairly easy fix.

As others have mentioned, the color is dark, but it doesn’t matter since you like the color.

But I would ask… didn’t you just get a Diana ring? How is this different enough (apart from being unheated) from the Diana ring?

Also, price is a consideration… is it worth it for what you will pay?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
That IS the ring!!!
You all are simply amazing.
So yes. I will be negotiating from that listed price.
And if I go this route, then I won’t be keeping the 4 carat Diana ring.
I really need to decide today.
My jeweler has been more than kind and would let me take my time but I don’t want to trespass on his kindness.
So I will keep you all posted!!
PS-I woke up this morning determined to keep the 4 carat…but then I waffled again while making the coffee….

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Oh! Strange not enough I much prefer the smaller one - I find it’s diamonds a much better balance and almost a perfect size for your hand.

Although if you plan to change the setting of the larger sapphire ?!? I don’t think you can lose here - they are both beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the visual balance of the smaller sapphire ring too, but again, just personal preference. If you can negotiate a really good price on the larger ring, by all means get that one. The setting looks lovely enough that I would keep as is.

If you unmount the stone, what will you put in the setting?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m also curious about the setting! Bc right now it’s has transitional diamonds right? According to the description? What were you thinking of changing it to? They are both lovely.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Often I find that if I waffle, and am not 100% sure or have the heart palpitations type of feeling, then maybe I just don’t love the stone/piece enough (and just like it very very much). When I first started I might have shrugged and gotten it anyway because I like it so much, but then it wouldn’t be enough later you know (not true love!)? Like I would sort of regret later when I see a better one down the road. But only you will know for sure if it’s really the one, regardless of what we all say.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok gang.
So I just wrote a long email to my jeweler outlining everything we have all observed and discussed here.
I didn’t hold back!
I know him well enough that he won’t be mad at me that I pointed out all the cons of this piece…the color, the window, the big booty, the setting!
And then we will talk today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow since I have end of school stuff today!!!)
Honesty if he’s super negotiable on price then I may take a chance on the bigger unheated stone.
If I can’t get a bargain on the 6 carat then I’m perfectly happy with the original 4 carat since it just feels so nice on my hand and the balance is perfect.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ok gang.
So I just wrote a long email to my jeweler outlining everything we have all observed and discussed here.
I didn’t hold back!
I know him well enough that he won’t be mad at me that I pointed out all the cons of this piece…the color, the window, the big booty, the setting!
And then we will talk today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow since I have end of school stuff today!!!)
Honesty if he’s super negotiable on price then I may take a chance on the bigger unheated stone.
If I can’t get a bargain on the 6 carat then I’m perfectly happy with the original 4 carat since it just feels so nice on my hand and the balance is perfect.

I'm still curious about what you do not like about the setting and how would you set it? Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still curious about what you do not like about the setting and how would you set it? Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Oh.
Well…I think it’s just a bit high.
My guys tell me it’s a very solid hand-made setting and if I just size it I will like it much better.
That may be all it needs since I’m such a dork wearing it with a big ugly sizing band on it now!
Also, it may be just a tad prong heavy on the halo.
TBD

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Since you just responded to my tourmaline question I decided to hop over here and ask if you have made any decisions yet???

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Since you just responded to my tourmaline question I decided to hop over here and ask if you have made any decisions yet???
@Mreader I don’t feel like I helped you on the cleaning question but the update on the sapphire is that I put in a best and final offer.
They are solidly considering it.
I said please no rush since I can’t get in to them until Monday but I feel good about my offer.
I also very much fear that I’ve bonded on this particular ring and stone!
So fingers crossed….
I’ve learned that this love of gemstones and jewelry is not for the faint of heart!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader I don’t feel like I helped you on the cleaning question but the update on the sapphire is that I put in a best and final offer.
They are solidly considering it.
I said please no rush since I can’t get in to them until Monday but I feel good about my offer.
I also very much fear that I’ve bonded on this particular ring and stone!
So fingers crossed….
I’ve learned that this love of gemstones and jewelry is not for the faint of heart!

Tell me about it! Much much more complicated than diamonds. And by the way I went back and looked at your old threads and I adore that emerald you have as well as the sapphire that’s in your avatar. Such stunning stones!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Tell me about it! Much much more complicated than diamonds. And by the way I went back and looked at your old threads and I adore that emerald you have as well as the sapphire that’s in your avatar. Such stunning stones!

@Mreader Thank you! Very much. I really appreciate.
The emerald is super duper special! Just off the charts perfect color.
The sapphire bombe satisfies my desire for a classic cornflower blue.
Hence, how we arrive at a navy Princess Diana ring!!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Efleon saw this and thought it might be a comp for you

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Efleon what did you end up doing??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Can’t believe it but I’m still on the fence.
I decided to take a breather,
Will certainly update as soon as I decide…which should be soon!!!!

Cool! A breather is sometimes necessary!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes.
Then I go and find that 4.34 carat tanzanite!!!!
I swear they find ME, not the other way around ;-)

Omg lol!! I love tanzanite but between the two I would pick sapphire. You are making me feel so much better about my trying to find ONE emerald and winding up with three different rings. :lol-2:

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Omg lol!! I love tanzanite but between the two I would pick sapphire. You are making me feel so much better about my trying to find ONE emerald and winding up with three different rings. :lol-2:

Don’t you fret even one second about those three gorgeous rings!
Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.
A girl needs different iterations.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Efleon just want to say that I totally enjoy reading about your jewelry adventures and “chance” encounters with them. However you decide, you will end up with another beautiful ring so pls keep us posted ok?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results