shape
carat
color
clarity

6.06 ct. cushion cut unheated yellow sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Long story short: I have been searching for an intense yellow unheated cushion cut sapphire around 5 carats for a LONG time. I had passed over more than twenty stones for various reasons including clarity, but mostly color and cut. Jewelers were even telling me that what I wanted just did not exist. My boyfriend finally told me that if I was unable to build my ring by May he may propose without it. I contacted several pricescope vendors, but in my heart I was really hoping for a Jeff White stone. We were unable to make that happen in time, so I asked Whiteflash for their help, not really expecting them to come through since I thought they were just diamond people. I was quite honestly ready to give up on this search thinking it would never happen, and I was even starting to believe the jewelers who told me my stone didn't exist.

The third stone WF showed me was the one. Its a little too big, but I'm sure I will grow into it. Here it is. First a WF close up, which does not capture this stone's brilliance and color, and then I'll post poor quality camera phone pics, which I think better represent this stone's color and sparkle. It is the stone I had pictured in my mind, and I cannot believe I actually found it. Well. . .WF found it.

WF close up.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Too big? Naaah. It looks great!

How do you plan to set it?

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
In ring holder.

1LKWF.jpg

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
last one. Sorry for the poor pic quality. I''m setting it very simply as a solitaire with a delicate shank. Using 18k royal yellow, which is an alloy that is supposed to come closer to purer gold. I wanted something monochromatic, so I''m hoping the alloy intensity will come closer to the stone''s.

5lkwf.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and impressive stone. Congratulations!!

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you both!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful! How are you going to set it? Dont worry about the size. You know sss (saphire shrinkage syndrom) will set in and the size will
be just perfect!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!
30.gif
30.gif

You had me at 6 carats and yellow sapphire...

How are you going to set this beauty?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous yellow sapphire. Love it, and that will be an awesome size.
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It glows on your hand and looks tons better than WF''s picture. Trust me, in just a few days, that 6 ct will feel normal and all other stones will look tiny by comparsion.
9.gif

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the reassurances about the size. I''m embarrased to admit that I''ve been kind of worrying about it. When I expressed my concerns to my best friend in another city, she replied "if you think its too big, you don''t deserve it." That shut me up.

But really, thank you all so much. Strangely enough, your opinions and comments were the ones I couldn''t wait for. I''m so glad to share this with you, as you all have provided me with the education which enabled me to find this stone in the first place.

I will keep you posted with CAD images of the ring from WF, and eventually with the finished product. And I promise to provide you with better pictures!

*hugs*

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful. WOW.. absolutely, WOW!!

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Hi mochi, thank you! I''m almost to tears you all are so sweet.

BTW, when we were at Whiteflash I asked about your amazing ring. They were all really excited about it, and I told them how it was all the rage on pricescope!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone. I agree w/ Chrono, your photos are much better than the WF one. So glad WF was able to make it finally happen for you. Kudos to them for what sounds like it was a tough search. Congrats on finding your needle in the haystack
1.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 9:49:13 PM
Author: sweetleila
Hi mochi, thank you! I''m almost to tears you all are so sweet.

BTW, when we were at Whiteflash I asked about your amazing ring. They were all really excited about it, and I told them how it was all the rage on pricescope!

OMG!! That''s way too funny! Aren''t they just the nicest people to work with?? I was so pleased with them and I would definitely work with them again.

Please do post lots of pictures!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
wow. that''s exactly what I''d want in a yellow sapphire.
Beautiful stone, beautiful color, love the cut, love the shape!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
2nd the last post: that is exactly what I''d want in a sapphire! Great size, great cut, great color, great clarity. WOWZA! Beautiful. You make me want to start shopping out yellow sapphires! Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Congrats on getting engaged, too
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty color and it is BIG!!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 9:41:47 PM
Author: Chrono
It glows on your hand and looks tons better than WF''s picture. Trust me, in just a few days, that 6 ct will feel normal and all other stones will look tiny by comparsion.
9.gif
Sweet damn! that stone absolutely glows on your hand! I have to give a nod to WF for finding such a fab stone
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love your sapphire! I can''t wait to see it set, and I love that it''s unheated, and just HUGE! Love the shape of it on your hand!

I''d never have thought about WF for a coloured stone until I went to visit them. I''ve seen some of the stones Bob has picked out, and OMG, did Debi show you her 13 ct. yellow pear? It''s insane!!!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Great stone. It will make a really nice ring!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
WoW! Let''s hear it for Whiteflash on Coloured Stones
cheerleader1.gif

Great stone. What I want to know is WHO is it they know that we don''t know??????

And just for the record - NO! It''s not too big, it''s beautiful.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:54:13 PM
Author: Gailey
WoW! Let''s hear it for Whiteflash on Coloured Stones
cheerleader1.gif

Great stone. What I want to know is WHO is it they know that we don''t know??????

And just for the record - NO! It''s not too big, it''s beautiful.

Go Whiteflash!!!
dothewave.gif

*there''s no such thing as too big*

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A wonderful stone it is!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 9:30:33 PM
Author: platinumrock
WOW!!!
30.gif
30.gif

You had me at 6 carats and yellow sapphire...
Ya really. Congrats!

30.gif

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much. Whiteflash has major credibility in my eyes. That they were able to accomplish this effortlessly, quickly, and at what I felt was a fair price, speaks volumes about their abilities and reputation. I foresee a long and fruitful relationship with them. Mochi, they were so professional and so patient with all of my questions and concerns. Lauren, no I didn't see Debi's 13 ct. pear, but I will be sure to ask to see it when I pick up my ring.

As for the setting, I want a 2mm shank, with a basket head set as low as possible, and fat but sharp double claw prongs. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

Also, I'd like to spruce up the basket, but just with metal work, but I'm having a hard time finding images. I need to get WF a final proposal by Wednesday in order to be on schedule for my boyfriend.

What about any other ideas? Is there any other way to set this stone without adding to its size? Thank you!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved this setting, but it does have a couple of side stones. I love the claw prongs..so elegant.

zwfstullerring.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 11:10:37 AM
Author: mochi
I have always loved this setting, but it does have a couple of side stones. I love the claw prongs..so elegant.
Yes it has side stones, but they''re barely visible from the top, so I''d actually suggest something like this - maybe even more so than a solitaire. The role of side stones in rings with large center stones is to connect the arrangement and create visual balance. If a stone is quite large and the shank is thin, that can cause problems in both, visual proportions and wearability of the ring. So Sweetlaila, think about something like that.

P. S. This setting is also great cause it has a split shank too. That way it can "connect" the thin shank to the large stone with it''s graduation (widening) towards the center, even without side stones, while still looking delicate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results