clarity

5 to 7 carat cushion questions

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The D is mighty chunky and a sweet color. :cool2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I am doing more research and looking at more stones the face up size of the D color is very large, so unless there are light return properties that are negative that I don't see in the stone it faces up more like a 6 carat cushion in a more modern cut style 11.35 X 9.8. I'll reach out to get some initial thoughts on the custom cut route and see if its realistic, might be a very fun project. The more I look the more I am realizing that if I like the style of that antique stone I found a pretty good one (by luck) that won't be easy to replicate. Also I don't need a D for a custom cut, it's just what the cushion happened to be that I liked the cut of, fine with a G frankly and since you can't guarantee color in a custom cut would shoot for F and not cry if it came out a G or even H. Also appreciate the comps, helping me get a better idea of reasonable price/value expectations

Please, consider everything that can go wrong with a custom cut before embarking on that journey. If you can find an existing stone that you like "as is", I would hugely prefer it over a custom. Too much uncertainty over whether you would even LIKE the stone when done. It's not like custom cutting a super ideal. At least with a super ideal the parameters are established and specific. With a cushion whose cut you haven't even decided on, just please consider it only as a last resort. And certainly not before checking out both stones. Good luck.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
Cushion lover here. That D is truly amazing!!!

Shiny_Rock
Long time lurker and appreciate the communities insight and knowledge. I am in the market for a 5-7 carat cushion (SO is new to diamonds is a bit unclear on exactly what she wants but through a bunch of photos I have narrowed it down to cushion). I consider my knowledge to be pretty solid on diamonds (for a consumer) in general mostly from reading through this site, but struggling a bit with cushions since they are so hard to analyze from certs and images vs. more defined cuts. I found James Allen to be the best resource for these stones so far since they seemed to be the only ones that had actual images of the stones. I will link a couple of the diamonds that I was considering to see if anyone here has some helpful advice. My SO does not want a "crushed ice" look, and likes the chunkier vintage look, but also likes the look of a modern cut as long as it has decent sized facets. I would like to be in the F-G color range (maybe H), eye clean is a must and not really interested in a SI1 at this price point. The 7 carat below has Strong fluorescence which doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't show up cloudy under normal lighting conditions. The 5 carat has a more vintage cut that I really like (sadly it's a D color, which I would rather not pay for, but struggling to find a lot of options like in this style at this size). I have requested ASET images and should have those in a couple days and am planning to take a look at several options including these in person with my SO late this week.

A couple other notes - she seems to be gravitating towards a slight rectangle so 1:1.1 ratio-ish is where I would guess her preference is. Alternatively if anyone has seen some stones that I may have missed that look like good alternatives to the above I would love to see them. Thanks for reading! Also I will be sure to post photo updates as this project progresses

Just putting this out there but you might reach out to Brian Gavin to see if they'd commission/pre-order a 5+ ct cushion cut for you if symmetry and measurable metrics are your preference; that way you'd have the cut style you want (cushion) along with a guaranteed hearts&arrows, maximum sparkle/symmetry result

I'm a noob here and the thinking isn't very romantic vs finding the stone organically (a lot of love for that D obviously!), but if I were in your shoes I would at least explore the idea

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@charlottejw any updates?

Looks like the price of that 5.06 jumped a lot?

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
So I took a look at it in person and it wasn't impressive, ASET image is attached and it turns out the nice spread sacrificed some pretty bad leakage. Loved the video of it, but in person it was underwhelming. I have proceeded with the 7 carat, it had a good not great ASET and in person was the one that my GF really liked best. She doesn't have as much of a preference for light performance and gravitates more to size, shape and color (she is more color sensitive than I am). I have 30 days to review the purchase in person, but I think it was the right balance of cost/specs. Very glad that I saw them in person with my GF as she has difference preferences than I do.

I almost went down the AVC custom cut, but the uncertainty on timing made it too hard for this purchase. Jonathan (Rhino) was a great help during this process and I highly recommend his affiliate program for expert free (to the consumer) advice. Part of me wishes I had the guts to go custom, but to get the same spread of the 7 carat I would have been looking at a 6.5 carat AVC and that was a stretch.

The price of that 5.06 is the same as when I pulled it, the 7 carat was cheaper. ASET10537691.JPG ASET4848836.jpg

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
Just putting this out there but you might reach out to Brian Gavin to see if they'd commission/pre-order a 5+ ct cushion cut for you if symmetry and measurable metrics are your preference; that way you'd have the cut style you want (cushion) along with a guaranteed hearts&arrows, maximum sparkle/symmetry result

I'm a noob here and the thinking isn't very romantic vs finding the stone organically (a lot of love for that D obviously!), but if I were in your shoes I would at least explore the idea

My gf doesn't like rounds and the hearts and arrows square don't resonate with her either. If I was looking for a round I would have looked hard at custom cut and would have used Brian Gavin (I have bought jewelry from them). I didn't reach out to him on Cushion custom cut as it is extremely challenging to do custom cutting without a specific agreed upon facet pattern ahead of time with someone who has cutters that have done volume in that exact configuration and his specialty at least to me is in his ideal H&As. AVC is a set established specific cut which is the only kind of cushion I would have considered moving forward with.

Shiny_Rock
My gf doesn't like rounds and the hearts and arrows square don't resonate with her either. If I was looking for a round I would have looked hard at custom cut and would have used Brian Gavin (I have bought jewelry from them). I didn't reach out to him on Cushion custom cut as it is extremely challenging to do custom cutting without a specific agreed upon facet pattern ahead of time with someone who has cutters that have done volume in that exact configuration and his specialty at least to me is in his ideal H&As. AVC is a set established specific cut which is the only kind of cushion I would have considered moving forward with.

Yup I was just speaking to the BGD cushion cut H&A diamonds and not the rounds since you'd mentioned metrics and precision (and cushion), but I get now that it's more than just a desire for a 'cushion' broadly, and more for a specific look/aesthetic. Yeah the AV cushions definitely look attractive - would have been an exciting project either way! BUT if she saw a diamond she liked and the timing works out this way, sounds like a win :cool2:

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update! Glad you got to see D irl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results