shape
carat
color
clarity

5 to 7 carat cushion questions

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker and appreciate the communities insight and knowledge. I am in the market for a 5-7 carat cushion (SO is new to diamonds is a bit unclear on exactly what she wants but through a bunch of photos I have narrowed it down to cushion). I consider my knowledge to be pretty solid on diamonds (for a consumer) in general mostly from reading through this site, but struggling a bit with cushions since they are so hard to analyze from certs and images vs. more defined cuts. I found James Allen to be the best resource for these stones so far since they seemed to be the only ones that had actual images of the stones. I will link a couple of the diamonds that I was considering to see if anyone here has some helpful advice. My SO does not want a "crushed ice" look, and likes the chunkier vintage look, but also likes the look of a modern cut as long as it has decent sized facets. I would like to be in the F-G color range (maybe H), eye clean is a must and not really interested in a SI1 at this price point. The 7 carat below has Strong fluorescence which doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't show up cloudy under normal lighting conditions. The 5 carat has a more vintage cut that I really like (sadly it's a D color, which I would rather not pay for, but struggling to find a lot of options like in this style at this size). I have requested ASET images and should have those in a couple days and am planning to take a look at several options including these in person with my SO late this week.

A couple other notes - she seems to be gravitating towards a slight rectangle so 1:1.1 ratio-ish is where I would guess her preference is. Alternatively if anyone has seen some stones that I may have missed that look like good alternatives to the above I would love to see them. Thanks for reading! Also I will be sure to post photo updates as this project progresses

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that D is for real you have found a unicorn as that looks like an antique stone and you never find Ds in that size anymore. I just took a cursory glance. If money were no object I would go for that one. The F modified cushion looks pretty but nothing like that D. You could probably find that F elsewhere. But a D 5 carat color possibility antique stone? Unbelievable.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5.06...love, love, love the faceting pattern on it. Beautiful open culet. Just reminds me of an
old stone from the past. Not sure what your SO likes but old cut stones (this could be
old or newer cut to look old) are pretty popular around Pricescope.

Ask if you can get an aset image on it. Probably not because of covid but doesnt hurt to
ask.

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than I will be along to give their opinion on the specific stones, but I would just recommend figuring out what your girlfriend’s top priority is since that’s a LOT of money... in terms of colour, D and F won’t be too far apart and only someone who is fairly colour sensitive will be able to pick apart and care about the differences; in terms of size 5 and 7 carat are very different; in terms of cut style/facet pattern again they are extremely different. So if the choice was between these two stones only, it would depend on what your girlfriend cares about most - if she likes both cutting patterns equally for example, then would she prefer the bigger stone or the rarer stone? There’s no right or wrong answers, so it’s important to know what your girlfriend prefers!

(FWIW, I would pick the 7ct because I am a size ho, but everyone has different priorities!)

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Love the first one! Have no idea what your budget is but if I was looking for a large cushion, I’d contact Sam at Icerock. He posts some amazing cushions

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that D is for real you have found a unicorn as that looks like an antique stone and you never find Ds in that size anymore. I just took a cursory glance. If money were no object I would go for that one. The F modified cushion looks pretty but nothing like that D. You could probably find that F elsewhere. But a D 5 carat color possibility antique stone? Unbelievable.

Totally agree. I adore the D color option with the lovely antique look. But make sure your gf is ok with it too bc its definitely different than a modern look.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That D is to die for!

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
The two are quite different looks, part of this is trying to figure out where my SO's preferences are (she isn't entirely sure so in person look is needed). If she likes the antique look then the 5 carat seems to be a pretty good example from the responses so far (really struggling to find larger colorless antique cushions). I also had another 5 carat modern one pulled in "I" color to see how color sensitive she is. The size/value proposition on the 7 carat is great for a nice (but not as unique) stone, it is 40% larger than the antique, but 10% cheaper. Also appreciate the rec for Icerock, beautiful stuff, but may push my budget!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that D is :kiss2:!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
The D is amazing - the facets are antique style and so beautiful

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
I know nothing about cushion cuts, but that D stone is special. Amazing. Also, I think the post above helps make the decision easier, at least it would for me, where 2 carats only equates to 10% more face-up surface area. That is a lot of carat weight below the belt, so to speak.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the D color!!!! Can see tint in the F one and eventho its 2ct apart, the color and cut wins over the size

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Neither are available - did OP snag them both to test them out?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree on the D. I'd prefer it over any modern cushion. The 7 ct isn't all that well cut. If you watch the girdle as it turns in the video, you can see in places that it is very thick. Lots of weight hiding in that area. I'd mark that one off the list, personally.

This one is a maybe:

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
Appreciate all the replies. They're showing up as not available because I reserved them so I could take a look in person. I really like the look of the D, but I am concerned a bit about price as it seems quite expensive just by its stats @ $135k. The 7 Carat was $125k, but that seems to have looked pretty underwhelming to people so unless it shines in person I will steer away from that. Now I am struggling to understand value expectations (rounds are so much easier to evaluate), the pricing on cushions seems to be all over the place and the antique style seem to have become more popular and are at a premium? The JA site has cut grades for all the cushions, it was my understanding that GIA does not grade the cut of cushions, does anyone know how JA determines its cut grades for cushions on its site? Is there another good source for antique style cushions in the 5+ carat range (max H color)? Thanks for all the help, this is a challenging process for someone who usually over analyzes things!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the replies. They're showing up as not available because I reserved them so I could take a look in person. I really like the look of the D, but I am concerned a bit about price as it seems quite expensive just by its stats @ $135k. The 7 Carat was $125k, but that seems to have looked pretty underwhelming to people so unless it shines in person I will steer away from that. Now I am struggling to understand value expectations (rounds are so much easier to evaluate), the pricing on cushions seems to be all over the place and the antique style seem to have become more popular and are at a premium? The JA site has cut grades for all the cushions, it was my understanding that GIA does not grade the cut of cushions, does anyone know how JA determines its cut grades for cushions on its site? Is there another good source for antique style cushions in the 5+ carat range (max H color)? Thanks for all the help, this is a challenging process for someone who usually over analyzes things!

I would ignore JAs in house "grading" for cushions as it's pretty much just their opinion. I've seen victor Canera have some big cushions, so I would look there as well.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Someone here can correct me if I’m wrong, but Distinctive Gem also cuts their own modern-antique cushions do they not?

Finding 5ct++ D VS2 rough might not as easy as cutting 1-2ct stone. I think for bigger carat D VS2 and above its not easy to custom cut

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This one might work as a comp for the 5 carat. I think it sold for @$135K. And this was for a G SI1.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
One more slightly smaller comp. This is an authentic Cartier ring from the 1920's so not apples to apples, but a data point, nonetheless.

charlottejw

Rough_Rock
As I am doing more research and looking at more stones the face up size of the D color is very large, so unless there are light return properties that are negative that I don't see in the stone it faces up more like a 6 carat cushion in a more modern cut style 11.35 X 9.8. I'll reach out to get some initial thoughts on the custom cut route and see if its realistic, might be a very fun project. The more I look the more I am realizing that if I like the style of that antique stone I found a pretty good one (by luck) that won't be easy to replicate. Also I don't need a D for a custom cut, it's just what the cushion happened to be that I liked the cut of, fine with a G frankly and since you can't guarantee color in a custom cut would shoot for F and not cry if it came out a G or even H. Also appreciate the comps, helping me get a better idea of reasonable price/value expectations

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that D is amazing! That's truly a special stone you found! Can't wait to see the final ring. Please keep us updated! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang... I'd choose the D all day long!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oops I forgot about this one...5.34 H VVS2 $130K

And this is from a vendor that prices very competitively.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
Here's a beautiful true antique Oscar Heyman--I am sure Lang's would be happy to send you video so you could see how the stone performs

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results