shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring - graduated or not?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of 0.34 ct F colored round brilliants and figured I’d turn it into a 5 stone ring. I also have $160 off a $800 purchase at Blue Nile as a promo on my AmEx so I figured I need to sort this out now. The promo expires in Feb which is when I would purchase. This is the second one they’ve given me so I honestly might just wait for these to buy the diamonds for this project.

I was thinking with a non-graduated 5 stone I could occasionally use it as a wedding band with my current ring but a graduated 5 stone might need to be a stand alone? But I’m also concerned that a 5 stone that thick will be out of proportion with my ring and would need to be a standalone anyway.

Can I get some opinions?

A graduation, even if slight, looks best in my opinion.

What do you think I should do in terms of sizes for the other stones? I was thinking about 0.45 ct for the biggest, my two 0.34s on the sides, and maybe 0.2 cts as the smallest ones.

If the stones will be closer in size my vote is for no graduation. If you will use your 1ct+ as the center stone, then I will get 2x around 0.5-0.6ct but that will be much more expensive than getting 3 x 30pt diamonds.

If the stones will be closer in size my vote is for no graduation. If you will use your 1ct+ as the center stone, then I will get 2x around 0.5-0.6ct but that will be much more expensive than getting 3 x 30pt diamonds.

I was looking at the 0.34s being the middle size. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on it so I wouldn’t go larger than 0.5 cts for the center if going graduated.

I have plaid with the idea of a five stone once, and having diameters go down by 20% each step made sense - just enough graduation to make the curve of the ring obvious.

2p

I have plaid with the idea of a five stone once, and having diameters go down by 20% each step made sense - just enough graduation to make the curve of the ring obvious.

2p

So to confirm I understand this correctly... my stones are 4.1x4.5 mm. My biggest stone should be 5.32x5.4 & the smallest at 3.28x3.6?

I only like graduated 5-stones as standalone vs as a wedding band paired with ER. But, that’s just me.

I only like graduated 5-stones as standalone vs as a wedding band paired with ER. But, that’s just me.
Yeah I think a graduated 5 stone as a wedding band might be a little off. Given how much it’ll cost for a center that’s 0.55 - 0.6 ct (which is think would fall in the 20% larger range) I’ll prob do them all the same size.

Personally, I think a band with stones that size takes something away from an ERing.
Although my band ring is a 4 stone vs. 5 below is photo of my two rings together; solitaire is 9.2/9.7; stones in band are 4.2/4.3mm.
C445E148-9182-4B32-B6D1-634E67BBC84E.jpeg

Personally, I think a band with stones that size takes something away from an ERing.
Although my band ring is a 4 stone vs. 5 below is photo of my two rings together; solitaire is 9.2/9.7; stones in band are 4.2/4.3mm.
C445E148-9182-4B32-B6D1-634E67BBC84E.jpeg

This is basically what mine would look like! You’re right, the band is overpowering...

Ok I’m killing this idea. It wasn’t the great idea I thought it was. Thanks everyone for your help!

Ok I’m killing this idea. It wasn’t the great idea I thought it was. Thanks everyone for your help!

I should have added to my earlier response that I really enjoy wearing the 4 stone ring as a RHR with thin pave or plain bands. It’s a fair amount of bling without being too much in casual settings.
In fact, thinking of an upgrade project with larger stones...

I should have added to my earlier response that I really enjoy wearing the 4 stone ring as a RHR with thin pave or plain bands. It’s a fair amount of bling without being too much in casual settings.
In fact, thinking of an upgrade project with larger stones...

I just got my friend’s opinion too and she wasn’t feeling it either. I might have DK do a thicker bead set band so I’ll still have band bling :bigsmile:

I think a graduated five stone is one of the most gorgeous looks ever. A true Classic beauty. I think that you could get away with a center just below half a carat, use your 0.34s as middle ones and between 0.15-0.2 on the sides. You do not need to dump the idea at all, unless you have a better one.:)))

What ring size are you? If above a 7, I think .34s can work for a 5-stone all the same size, especially if you pick the right setting.

I think a graduated five stone is one of the most gorgeous looks ever. A true Classic beauty. I think that you could get away with a center just below half a carat, use your 0.34s as middle ones and between 0.15-0.2 on the sides. You do not need to dump the idea at all, unless you have a better one.:)))

I completely forgot that I have different sized CZs I bought to play with side stone sized for my current round...
I’m going to play with that and see what it looks like. I like the idea of the graduated ring but I also like the idea of a ring that’s not a standalone because I only wear my rings on one finger. I can’t stand the feeling of rings on my right hand.

What ring size are you? If above a 7, I think .34s can work for a 5-stone all the same size, especially if you pick the right setting.

I’m a 7. I wanted a thick diamond band but I was going to have a bead set band made later this year after I figure out what I’m doing with my current stone. I just needed something to do with these 0.34 cts and since BN wants to give me $160 off (basically) I figured this could be an inexpensive idea. But I definitely don’t want the band to overpower the ring.

I completely forgot that I have different sized CZs I bought to play with side stone sized for my current round...
I’m going to play with that and see what it looks like. I like the idea of the graduated ring but I also like the idea of a ring that’s not a standalone because I only wear my rings on one finger. I can’t stand the feeling of rings on my right hand.

I’m a 7. I wanted a thick diamond band but I was going to have a bead set band made later this year after I figure out what I’m doing with my current stone. I just needed something to do with these 0.34 cts and since BN wants to give me $160 off (basically) I figured this could be an inexpensive idea. But I definitely don’t want the band to overpower the ring.

What about as a RH ring ?
Or wear on ypur index finger ?

What about as a RH ring ?
Or wear on ypur index finger ?

I only wear my rings on my ring finger. I’ve tried other combinations/ placements but I find it to be too uncomfortable.

I would wear this on the left middle finger or right ring finger. I used to be like you but then somehow things spread to the other fingers too and now I just play around and do what I feel like. I of course do not wear all my rings every day but it is like having special things you only wear on occasion; expensive rings, evening gowns, etc. I still enjoy looking at them even if I do not wear them every day.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP