shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring 1.5 or 2 ct for size 6.25?

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
It might help if you bought a 2ctw CZ 5 stone ring to try on. It will give you piece of mind and cost you less if you change your mind.
I tried a similar CZ ring before I purchased my 5 stone. It was very helpful.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the CZ try on option! I have a 5 stone that is size 5.5 and i *think* it's 2.75 carats total and it's huge and covers my finger but is very comfortable. My husband calls it my brass knuckles ring, soooooo perhaps the 2.75 version is a tad TOO big?! Best if you can see it on your own hand! LOL

Candice-

Rough_Rock
I recently also purchased the same band from Brian Gavin. I went with .33-.35, all H, and between VS1 and VVS2. I got a size 7 to give my finger a little breathing room. I would say from the top it is definitely full coverage, but sometimes from certain angles I can see the band on the side. I think one more diamond would fix that or if I had gone with .40s. 1401F6C8-C939-494D-9B33-2990BE1F384C.jpeg

Mie

Rough_Rock
I recently also purchased the same band from Brian Gavin. I went with .33-.35, all H, and between VS1 and VVS2. I got a size 7 to give my finger a little breathing room. I would say from the top it is definitely full coverage, but sometimes from certain angles I can see the band on the side. I think one more diamond would fix that or if I had gone with .40s. 1401F6C8-C939-494D-9B33-2990BE1F384C.jpeg

Thank you for your reply and what a gorgeous ring. I’m really looking forward to having my own.

Do you have a photo of your ring in profile? I’m a little curious to see how high it sits compared to the trellis setting.

I get what you mean by seeing the band at certain angles. My mom has a 60th birthday coming and we ordered her a trellis with 0.3s that i’ve been allowed to try on and will store until the big birthday reveal.
23449FEA-CF81-4597-B7BB-0C677DFE705C.jpeg

D51ECF23-2952-4476-BC1E-CFBE7827347C.jpeg

Having tried that band i think it is beautiful, but i’m also left thinking i could get away with 0.4 as it is a RHR and i won’t mix with my ER (since it is a 0.8 it wouldn’t look as great as your set :) )
The ER 2ct upgrade i was originally planning is too expensive for my taste at the moment, so i’ll defer that to a potential 25th anniversary or something way in the future

Candice-

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply and what a gorgeous ring. I’m really looking forward to having my own.

Do you have a photo of your ring in profile? I’m a little curious to see how high it sits compared to the trellis setting.

I get what you mean by seeing the band at certain angles. My mom has a 60th birthday coming and we ordered her a trellis with 0.3s that i’ve been allowed to try on and will store until the big birthday reveal.
23449FEA-CF81-4597-B7BB-0C677DFE705C.jpeg

D51ECF23-2952-4476-BC1E-CFBE7827347C.jpeg

Having tried that band i think it is beautiful, but i’m also left thinking i could get away with 0.4 as it is a RHR and i won’t mix with my ER (since it is a 0.8 it wouldn’t look as great as your set :) )
The ER 2ct upgrade i was originally planning is too expensive for my taste at the moment, so i’ll defer that to a potential 25th anniversary or something way in the future

That trellis is beautiful! Your mom is going to love it! I can totally related to having expensive taste but not enough money this band sits pretty low to the finger, but it still rubs against my engagement ring a tad which is why I wear it on the other side of my wedding band. I think I definitely could have gone with .40 diamonds and maybe down the road will upgrade.
You could probably still wear the 5 stone with your engagement ring if you wore it in the same order as I wear mine. Never can have too many diamonds ‍♀️ I don’t think that is a thing haha 7E7DDCBC-0406-4838-9856-93FE8523E5B5.jpeg

Attachments

• 32F704F0-67BE-4587-A9CB-2FC96706F631.jpeg
    32F704F0-67BE-4587-A9CB-2FC96706F631.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 24

Mie

Rough_Rock
That trellis is beautiful! Your mom is going to love it! I can totally related to having expensive taste but not enough money this band sits pretty low to the finger, but it still rubs against my engagement ring a tad which is why I wear it on the other side of my wedding band. I think I definitely could have gone with .40 diamonds and maybe down the road will upgrade.
You could probably still wear the 5 stone with your engagement ring if you wore it in the same order as I wear mine. Never can have too many diamonds ‍♀️ I don’t think that is a thing haha 7E7DDCBC-0406-4838-9856-93FE8523E5B5.jpeg

I think it is beautiful too! I’m certain she will love it. I’ve got her hooked on bling after she saw my BG earrings.

Does it irritate your fingers beside it, when set so low?

I know right, my issue is i did save up to buy the 2ct solitaire, but now i kind of like how the investment account is looking and don’t want to be ‘irresponsible’ and sell off stocks to buy a big rock. Also it is more finger coverage with a 5stone at a fraction of the cost.

I could mix, but think the size difference is so small it would swallow the e-ring.
Agreed i have a wish list in my head now for 12,5th and 25th anniversaries :)
A gemstone halo ring and a BIG solitaire respectively haha. This forum is a slippery slope.

Candice-

Rough_Rock
I think it is beautiful too! I’m certain she will love it. I’ve got her hooked on bling after she saw my BG earrings.

Does it irritate your fingers beside it, when set so low?

I know right, my issue is i did save up to buy the 2ct solitaire, but now i kind of like how the investment account is looking and don’t want to be ‘irresponsible’ and sell off stocks to buy a big rock. Also it is more finger coverage with a 5stone at a fraction of the cost.

I could mix, but think the size difference is so small it would swallow the e-ring.
Agreed i have a wish list in my head now for 12,5th and 25th anniversaries :)
A gemstone halo ring and a BIG solitaire respectively haha. This forum is a slippery slope.

Nope, it doesn’t bother my fingers at all, even when it turns a little and the diamonds fall between my fingers it still feels fine.
I totally get the feeling of spending the money. I saved up specifically for this ring also and part of me was a little sad to see a big chunk of money go, but it was worth it.
Pricescope is a dangerous place!
I love a good gemstone with a diamond halo! As a wedding gift my parents gave me a London blue sapphire surrounded by small diamonds. I’ve recently had my eyes on oval aquamarines with diamond halos. So, yea, slippery slope.

Reactions: Mie

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Mie any update on your project?

Ran into your post while searching and looks like we have some parallels. I was aiming for a nice trilogy as an upgrade but decided to save it for a future date due to shifting some funds around. Now pretty sure I will pursue a five stone after I get an inherited MRB back from GIA and looking for setting ideas in the 2ctw to 2.5 ctw.

Did you feel like your moms trellis setting Sat way high on your finger? (Noted they were 0.3s). I know I want a scalloped look but trying to see what sort of setting will allow it to sit as low as possible on the finger…

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
After stalking the 5 stone thread here, trying to decide on the best carat size for a five stone ring to fit my 6.25 finger, i need to leave the shadows of a lurker and ask for some input :)

I’ve decided to finally get a BGD open gallery ring, to mark the birth of my son. (It was a pretty dire situation so I’m getting myself something VERY nice, as a welcome home present after being in the NICU for 6-8weeks.)

I really want to get full finger coverage where you can’t see the band much, but still have a comfortable ring.
Would you recommend:
1.5 ct (0.311 I, 0.318 J, 0,33 J, 0.314 J, 0.311 I)
or go big with a 2 ct (0.4s in G-H)

There aren’t any 0.35 stones in Brian gavin’s current inventory, so splitting the difference doesn’t look like an option.

1653826584656.png

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have the same size finger as you. I would definitely go 1.50. You should have plenty of finger coverage :) Mine is only 1ctw and I don't see anything but diamonds. The 1.50 sounds lovely!

Mie

Rough_Rock
Hi @Mie any update on your project?

Ran into your post while searching and looks like we have some parallels. I was aiming for a nice trilogy as an upgrade but decided to save it for a future date due to shifting some funds around. Now pretty sure I will pursue a five stone after I get an inherited MRB back from GIA and looking for setting ideas in the 2ctw to 2.5 ctw.

Did you feel like your moms trellis setting Sat way high on your finger? (Noted they were 0.3s). I know I want a scalloped look but trying to see what sort of setting will allow it to sit as low as possible on the finger…

Hi AL12,

Yes i do have an update, in the end i went with my heart instead of head :)
2ct in the trellis setting (never mind the added cost, i would always wonder if i should have gone with 2ct).
I fell in love with that setting and the profile view of the stones, but was worried it would be too impractical with 2 kids.
Carat wise i was on the fence but felt like i could pull off a 2ct, but it would be the absolute biggest i could go and still maintain symmetry on top of the finger (so the stones don’t skew to the side of the finger, but i can center the middle stone on top).

Oh i love a 3 stone :bigsmile: i’m still lusting over the one on the five stone thread with pears on the side!
The trellis sits a little higher than my very low prong set 0,8 engagement ring, but i didn’t mind as it looks like the diamonds are set as low as possible (no floating culet) From photos it looks like the diamonds float a little in the open basket setting, so i figured it was pretty much the same.

I would post pics of my ring but customs here are taking their sweet time, but i’m hoping they release it today and then i’ll gladly go to fedex and pick it up myself :D
I do have the glam shots from BGD though.
76CD74EE-6D7C-41A8-AD97-0F1865B1AEC7.png 37044AAD-6118-41C8-81EB-2E5674E8BA86.png

Here is a profile of my moms ring if that is helpful.
920FE2FB-4637-4522-8093-35C79ABDADA3.jpeg

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi AL12,

Yes i do have an update, in the end i went with my heart instead of head :)
2ct in the trellis setting (never mind the added cost, i would always wonder if i should have gone with 2ct).
I fell in love with that setting and the profile view of the stones, but was worried it would be too impractical with 2 kids.
Carat wise i was on the fence but felt like i could pull off a 2ct, but it would be the absolute biggest i could go and still maintain symmetry on top of the finger (so the stones don’t skew to the side of the finger, but i can center the middle stone on top).

Oh i love a 3 stone :bigsmile: i’m still lusting over the one on the five stone thread with pears on the side!
The trellis sits a little higher than my very low prong set 0,8 engagement ring, but i didn’t mind as it looks like the diamonds are set as low as possible (no floating culet) From photos it looks like the diamonds float a little in the open basket setting, so i figured it was pretty much the same.

I would post pics of my ring but customs here are taking their sweet time, but i’m hoping they release it today and then i’ll gladly go to fedex and pick it up myself :D
I do have the glam shots from BGD though.
76CD74EE-6D7C-41A8-AD97-0F1865B1AEC7.png 37044AAD-6118-41C8-81EB-2E5674E8BA86.png

Here is a profile of my moms ring if that is helpful.
920FE2FB-4637-4522-8093-35C79ABDADA3.jpeg

Thanks for the information and pictures! I hope customs clears for you ASAP! it's so hard to wait!

Personally I'm really glad you went with the 2ctw as well and I think choosing to make it float as minimally as possible within the "basket" was also a nice choice:)

After hours of searching settings on PS, i think I've determined that the trellis style is still sitting a bit too high for my personal preference but I can't wait to see you photos and handshots when you get your new ring!!!

Mie

Rough_Rock
It took project management skills and stalker level follow up phone calls to Fedex and customs yesterday, but i managed to get the ring!

After trying on the 2ct, I will absolutely agree the profile of the trellis would be too high if you are going for a low set ring :)

Here is a quick snap of the final product.
I ended up with 3 H and 2 G color stones in the 0.41-0.401 range.
CD87FBEC-52F3-45B0-B588-C3BCD6DDB37A.jpeg

Thanks for the information and pictures! I hope customs clears for you ASAP! it's so hard to wait!

Personally I'm really glad you went with the 2ctw as well and I think choosing to make it float as minimally as possible within the "basket" was also a nice choice:)

After hours of searching settings on PS, i think I've determined that the trellis style is still sitting a bit too high for my personal preference but I can't wait to see you photos and handshots when you get your new ring!!!

View attachment 905964

AL12

Shiny_Rock
It took project management skills and stalker level follow up phone calls to Fedex and customs yesterday, but i managed to get the ring!

After trying on the 2ct, I will absolutely agree the profile of the trellis would be too high if you are going for a low set ring :)

View attachment 905964

It’s beautiful! Enjoy! Great job on tracking it down so you can enjoy it for the weekend! :D

If you’re able could I see the width of the band that wraps under the finger and what mm it is?

Edit: I think I can just go on the BG site to go and look!

Last edited:

Candice-

Rough_Rock

View attachment 905964

Wowwwww that is gorgeous! Congratulations! Wear it in good health. It’s a stunner for sure.

Mie

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful! Enjoy! Great job on tracking it down so you can enjoy it for the weekend! :D

If you’re able could I see the width of the band that wraps under the finger and what mm it is?

Edit: I think I can just go on the BG site to go and look!

Thank you :) I was just so impatient at this point haha.

It is 2.25-2.3mm wide, it seems BGD adapts the ring based on the carat on some settings. So i haven’t always been able to find measurements online.

437E0B67-E273-4155-86A9-691633911C19.jpeg
76E6D0F4-9BA1-4552-8C4F-6CC01F2F1E2D.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you :) I was just so impatient at this point haha.

It is 2.25-2.3mm wide, it seems BGD adapts the ring based on the carat on some settings. So i haven’t always been able to find measurements online.

437E0B67-E273-4155-86A9-691633911C19.jpeg
76E6D0F4-9BA1-4552-8C4F-6CC01F2F1E2D.jpeg

thanks for taking the time to share photos and measurements!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
This is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Can we see a profile shot? How does it feel between the fingers?

Mie

Rough_Rock
This is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Can we see a profile shot? How does it feel between the fingers?

Thank you :) I’m glad i went with this size, even if it feels a tad large since i got used to the size of moms. It feels perfectly comfortable i don’t seem to get any rubbing or annoying spinning.

Sure thing, here’s some pics. 2FCA3EFE-F84A-4392-995D-C43BC9A28304.jpeg 5049BEF8-F187-48D3-9E04-3916AFF23518.jpeg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you :) I’m glad i went with this size, even if it feels a tad large since i got used to the size of moms. It feels perfectly comfortable i don’t seem to get any rubbing or annoying spinning.

Sure thing, here’s some pics. 2FCA3EFE-F84A-4392-995D-C43BC9A28304.jpeg 5049BEF8-F187-48D3-9E04-3916AFF23518.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful and perfect size!!! The bling on the baby is sooo fabulous!! Thank you for sharing these shots. Congratulations on your beautiful ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results