shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone EC complete, maybe!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is truly very beautiful. I think I could accept the differences IF the EC didn’t get so lost. That was one thing I really loved about Mark’s originally... the distinct bezel, the EC set higher and traps a TAD smaller all made the EC the star of the show. My ring is the star of the show now, not the beautiful EC I searched high and low for. Make sense? I just hope this isn’t a giant pain in the a** to fix!!
It does.

Proportions are an art. They make or break a design. Your ring is stunning... as a ring... but not as a spotlight for your EC. But to be fair to Mark, that design is meant to create a show-stopping RING.

Do I think the setting can become a spotlight for your EC? Yes, but it's definitely not the norm for this style. Does he do CADs? Or is it a matter of hoping you communicate effectively?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, but I agree it does not match your inspiration ring. I think as others have suggested that the traps need to be smaller, it is blending in with the EC to much.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just thinking out loud and this maybe a completely crazy suggestion, but......could he work out an arrangement to swap? You said that your dream inspiration ring is still available and in his possession - as I recall the center stones are of similar size, maybe you would ultimately be happier getting the "exact" ring that you fell in love with.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So a couple of answers: I asked for CADS Mark said no need he would make my ring exactly the same. I walked out of there and felt so good and so confident, since he had the ring for sale and could refer to it. But there are still three differences: Trap size, thinner bezel, and my EC doesn’t sit high enough above the traps- too flush. All these MINOR details lead to the EC not being the star. As far as swapping out his ring, Out of the question! It’s for sale for 88,000 and it’s a color F VVS1... not quite my stats;)2

I really think once we have both rings in person, side by side, it will be a no brainer. I will have them both on my hand and we will clearly see the differences. Now, whether he is willing to work with me on it, I don’t know. But it’s not as I wanted. Beautiful but not as I wanted.

Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will add, when I see his ring in videos, pictures and in person, it absolutely sings to me. Mine just does not do the same thing.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish the photos of your ring were a bit clearer as it's hard for me to see the height of the stone as compared to the traps and also the size of the bezels. My thoughts are that yes, the traps are too big, the bezels are too thin and the center isn't high enough compared to the side stones. But I also think that since the ratio of length to width of the center is not the same as the inspiration, you ring can never look exactly like the inspiration. I have a 2 ct. EC shaped very much like yours and I do think that the more square shape of the inspiration changes the visual. When I look at my stone, I don't think it could ever look like a more square center so perhaps that is also impacting your perception of the ring, although I do think it could be made to look much closer to the original than it turned out.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meet with Mark. Give him the chance to make it right. :wavey:

Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Meet with Mark. Give him the chance to make it right. :wavey:
I think he will, I have high hopes! It’s his fault... he created such a beautiful and perfect ring and I CAN’T get it out of my head....lol!!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish the photos of your ring were a bit clearer as it's hard for me to see the height of the stone as compared to the traps and also the size of the bezels. My thoughts are that yes, the traps are too big, the bezels are too thin and the center isn't high enough compared to the side stones. But I also think that since the ratio of length to width of the center is not the same as the inspiration, you ring can never look exactly like the inspiration. I have a 2 ct. EC shaped very much like yours and I do think that the more square shape of the inspiration changes the visual. When I look at my stone, I don't think it could ever look like a more square center so perhaps that is also impacting your perception of the ring, although I do think it could be made to look much closer to the original than it turned out.
Completely agree! Won’t look the same but just maybe a tad similar:) my traps will always have to be a “little” longer due to my EC being slightly longer
For reference... Mark’s EC- 9.98x 8.04. Mine- 10.46x 8.04

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Completely agree! Won’t look the same but just maybe a tad similar:) my traps will always have to be a “little” longer due to my EC being slightly longer
For reference... Mark’s EC- 9.98x 8.04. Mine- 10.46x 8.04
It's such a small difference, just under 1/2mm, I think that your stone could probably handle the same size traps as the inspiration to give you a closer feel as the original. It would certainly give you that more pronounced difference that i think you are craving.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in agreement that the traps are just way too large. You wanted to get away from what you had before, but this time it takes away even more from your center stone. He made a mistake not doing CADs. Be sure he does cads and makes you a wax model this time. I really don't think your traps need to be longer.

I can't remember if I showed you these pics before, but this is a 6 ct center with much smaller sides than yours, and I adore these proportions because it allows the center stone to be the star. The sides are much lower than the center stone.

2014-06-07 12.01.30.jpg
2014-06-07 12.01.54.jpg

Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005 you are right... the traps need to be very close to the inspiration. It’s honeslty like a hair and I don’t know how risky it is to have Mark cut them down just a TAD without going the opposite way... too much! Meeting him soon so we shall see:)

@diamondseeker2006 yes! I have seen this ring! Love it... still want a little larger traps than this particular ring and bigger bezel. I really do think the bigger bezel, like the inspiration, will be a huge contrast from the main EC. My ring is very pretty right now so I really hope I’m not taking a big gamble on messing with it. Just didn’t turn out quite how I imagined or wanted.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see what you are saying and I am sure they can fix it for you. I do want to say I think your ring is gorgeous but you should definitely have it tweaked to be exactly what you want.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bullets seem superfluous - at least in the pictures.

Beautiful stone!
You hit the nail on the head! I don’t even notice the bullets. I’m going back to -bigger bezel!! The inspiration has same size bullets... bigger bezel. When you look at me ring the only thing to really scream out right now is large side stones/traps.

I’m so sad as I am scared taking it in to fix will make matters worse. I don’t know how cutters cut stones but wondering if they can just shave a fraction of mm on each trap?? Soooo Small, but will make a huge difference. And a fraction of mm for bezel. Such small details

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have lived with the ring for a week and I have definitely not changed my mind. My EC definitely doesn’t stand out in this setting. From a distance you can’t even tell it’s an EC because it all blends together. I meet with Mark tomorrow morning any final thoughts besides-
Smaller traps, thicker bezels, and lower EC compared to traps? And the bullets are absolutely pointless... don’t even notice them, need thicker bezel for sure. Here are the two videos for comparison again. I have looked at these two videos a thousands times, and the traps look a hair smaller in the inspiration ring. Really hoping all these minor details add up to my EC popping more! TIA!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkjFrYnO_G/

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I’d say you gave it a fair chance. Good luck in your meeting with Mark. I’m sure he’ll work with you to make you happy. Please keep us posted!:wavey:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @Emeraldsaremyfavorite, your ring is beautiful!
The inspirational ring's EC seems to be much brighter than the other stones in the ring; the wide facets all turn on simultaneously; and contrast significantly vs. the side stones.
Your stones appear to be more complementary, and, perhaps, from a distance, blend more?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have lived with the ring for a week and I have definitely not changed my mind. My EC definitely doesn’t stand out in this setting. From a distance you can’t even tell it’s an EC because it all blends together. I meet with Mark tomorrow morning any final thoughts besides-
Smaller traps, thicker bezels, and lower EC compared to traps? And the bullets are absolutely pointless... don’t even notice them, need thicker bezel for sure. Here are the two videos for comparison again. I have looked at these two videos a thousands times, and the traps look a hair smaller in the inspiration ring. Really hoping all these minor details add up to my EC popping more! TIA!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkjFrYnO_G/
It's hard to say for certain from the photos/videos angles, but it seems as though the EC in the inspiration ring "sits" higher in the ring setting. Whereas, from the photos your ring seems to be less stepped - if that makes sense.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
o_O:twisted2:o_Oo_Oo_O
Well I’d say you gave it a fair chance. Good luck in your meeting with Mark. I’m sure he’ll work with you to make you happy. Please keep us posted!:wavey:
Oh I definitely will! I just feel lost as to what to say is amiss :twisted2: I want to be very specific and not have him read my mind...lol

Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's hard to say for certain from the photos/videos angles, but it seems as though the EC in the inspiration ring "sits" higher in the ring setting. Whereas, from the photos your ring seems to be less stepped - if that makes sense.
Makes sense but I think the other two factors are playing a role? Bezel thickness and trap size? This is so damn hard!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Emeraldsaremyfavorite, your ring is beautiful!
The inspirational ring's EC seems to be much brighter than the other stones in the ring; the wide facets all turn on simultaneously; and contrast significantly vs. the side stones.
Your stones appear to be more complementary, and, perhaps, from a distance, blend more?
I see that too! So I have better cut traps?? Or maybe the bezel all around and not the open gallery like I have is leading to less brilliance? This is a whole new problem!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a little update, because I know you were all on pins and needles today LOL:lol: I met with Mark, and he was very accommodating and very understanding. He saw the differences too. It was it was quick and to the point! He was very busy but he wrote down the three main things I wanted to achieve. I actually think @EC8 really nailed it with the differences in the faceting of the inspiration EC versus mine.. To be honest the inspiration EC has broader and wider facets. Picking up up a lot more color and a lot more black at times, possible light leakage. Where as mine has crisp clean lines and more brilliance. Not creating as much contrast with the trapezoids. So, it is what it is, and whatever the ring turns out like this time I will be happy and done! Thanks for all your support everyone:)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see the redo!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed you will love the second iteration!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth - my knee jerk reaction (I'm personally so OCD and notice everything... sadly) - is that your ring looks more rectangular and the inspiration one is more square - makes everything look totally different. The traps may be the same proportions perhaps, etc... but your stone is clearly longer. I'd be curious to know the proportions, if this is correct. When I copied my "inspiration ring" from LM - same thing.. Mine looked very different bc the other one was much longer and mine more square... I was such a newbie - but he should have explained that mine would look substantially different. Curious to know what happened. Good Luck! PS It still looks beautiful!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a little update, because I know you were all on pins and needles today LOL:lol: I met with Mark, and he was very accommodating and very understanding. He saw the differences too. It was it was quick and to the point! He was very busy but he wrote down the three main things I wanted to achieve. I actually think @EC8 really nailed it with the differences in the faceting of the inspiration EC versus mine.. To be honest the inspiration EC has broader and wider facets. Picking up up a lot more color and a lot more black at times, possible light leakage. Where as mine has crisp clean lines and more brilliance. Not creating as much contrast with the trapezoids. So, it is what it is, and whatever the ring turns out like this time I will be happy and done! Thanks for all your support everyone:)
Any guesses on when it will be done?

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Emeraldcutlover you are definitely correct. Mine is actually a hair longer. Inspiration is 9.98, mine 10.46- so about a .5mm difference. Exact same width- 8.04mm. But as you know with ECs, every little bit of a mm makes a visual difference! I think my traps were still too big, at the same time, my ring will never look exactly like the his because of the ratio. I’m just trying to get closer. And in person his EC was set much higher than mine so that will make a difference as well. Curious- your avatar ring looks a lot like the one I saw on JBG by LM?? Beautiful!

@ILikeShiny he said 2-3 weeks, so I assume 3:lol:. I am going to be at piece with how it comes out, I am going to be at piece with how it comes out..: repeat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results