shape
carat
color
clarity

-5% deduction for fluorescensce?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I admire from afar and don''''t post much, but just got my diamond and had it appraised. The appraisal report noted "faint yellow" -5% deduction," but the AGS report says - "fluorescence - negligible." I was just wondering if this is common to deduct for negligible fluorescence or if it depends on the type of fluorescence?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Lyn

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the fluorescence is "negligible" there is no adverse effect on the visual presentation of the diamond. I would not feel a 5% deduction for faint fluorescence is warranted no matter what its hue is.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Talk to your appraiser about what they mean by their value conclusion.

Most appraisals on new jewelry are an attempt to estimate the insurance replacement value of the item. This is the expected budget required to replace it with another of ‘like kind and quality’ in the case of an insurance loss. The value definition should be included in the appraisal report. Replacing a faint yellow fluorescent diamond is very unlikely to be less expensive than replacing a stone without it. It may actually be the opposite. Specifying yellow fluoro would make ‘like kind’ replacement quite difficult and the insurance company may need to pay a premium to get it.

How does their value conclusion compare with the transaction price?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your appraisor may also be using a canned appraisal program and this is built into it and must be modified by hand. If GIA issued a cert on it with negligible fluorescence I agree with the above posters that -5% is not warrented.

Wink

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies. I am disappointed that the appraisal value was approximately $200 difference. Total amount for the diamond and setting $5634, and the replacement value on the appraisal report is $5850. I know some appraisal reports are inflated, but this low amount surprised me since the diamond is an AGS0, VS1, J in color and an ACA (1.19 ct). or maybe I''m expecting too much. My insurance company wants a copy of the appraisal and that''s what they will insure it for, but I''m concerned that if anything were to happen to the stone, I would not be able to get another stone of the same quality.

thanks again for taking the time to read my post,
Lyn

...yes, I did use an appraiser from this board and I chose the appraiser based on everyone''s positive comments.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 8:14:06 PM
Author: 3hearts
I''m concerned that if anything were to happen to the stone, I would not be able to get another stone of the same quality.
Why don''t you express your concern to your appraiser, and ask him or her if they could give you a little more breathing room on the value for insurance purposes, appraising it at a little higher market level than internet pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results