shape
carat
color
clarity

5.01radiant center stone, should I upgrade?

Do you think I should upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
How long have you had that setting? I ask because my e-ring had similar prongs and within 6 months the stone became loose -- and after tightening became loose again & again. Eventually I changed out the the head of my ring for a custom one & would NEVER consider those types of prongs in the future as I found they were very difficult for jewelers to work with successfully.

My worry is that removing your stone from the ring will be a disaster. Though I do think the style of the prongs are kind of swallowing your stone & making it appear far smaller than a 5 ct stone.

Love your manicure though!

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
hmr mama and decodelighted thanks for the posts!

Goldfish8 ‘s ring is lovely! I have fallen in love with the halo style. If the stone I find is a round stone that does not fit my setting, I will likely halo it. I tried on my DD halo costume jewelry ring and it looked amazing. I was really pleasantly surprised at how well the style looked on my finger. Now I know why so many ladies wear this style ring. :naughty:

I have had the setting now for about 9 months. So far so good with the center stone holding up. It is so funny you mentioned about the size of the prongs “swallowing the stone” because I have had similar thoughts about that as well. I really like the claw prongs I have seen posted here with some of the other PS rings and it looks really elegant to me. You see more of the stone than you do the metal that sets the stones. I am not sure how the vendor can simply refine the prongs only on my current setting without remaking it in its entirety. The setting is made pretty solid and I don’t want to see any welding lines if they can take simply modify the prongs. I will have to ask them that next week.

Thanks for the compliment on the nails. It’s actually my fav color!!

Here is a glamour shot photo of the setting the vendor sent me to give you a closer look at the setting.

Still working on the video….

m_engagement_ring.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the Eiffel Tower setting... :-o

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are unhappy with your stone and have the funds to change it I would say do it. If youre already considering changing it after less than a year I cant imagine you'll get MORE satisfied with it as time goes on. I dont even think its a bad Idea to go down in ct. Sense going up a color grade or clarity grade at that size would mean a substantial raise in price. (a halo never hurts either if the ct weight drop bothered you) :wink2:

it just depends on what you would be happy with in the long run. will a 3 ct bother you knowing you used to and could have had a 5? Or will the other aspects of the diamond make up for that?

As for the setting, yours is certainly blingtastic, but if you have to get a solitaire for the time being, no one would think youre e ring wasnt STUNNING with such a rock on it.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
My stone has many different personalities. It seems I’m a bit sensitive to the slight tint in color in certain lighting and the inclusion my FI calls “the stones beauty marks.”

I don’t think a 3 carat would bother me as long as the dimensions are the same as the stone I have now. I am so used to having a 9.0- 9.5mm stone on my finger that anything smaller I think would bother me. So the stone could be a radiant, cushion or round and I would be fine with that.

Thanks for the compliment on the erring nielseel. The setting gets LOTS of attention when I am out. I am typically stopped by both men and women asking to see it and asking details of the center stone, tcw, etc. I typically get the “jaw drop” reaction – especially when I wear all of my bands.

Of course if in the end I don’t change out the stone, I will still enjoy the setting as is and all of the love that was put in it. :D

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
I have been trying to post the video and appears I can not post a video from another hosted site.

Can any one tell me how to properly attach a video? The video was taken from my phone. I tried uploading the video by uploading it through the attachment on this thread, but I continue to get a server error.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Ok...now let's try these videos:

**edited by moderator. Apologies but we do not allow videos on personal video channels for privacy**

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
May I suggest that if you do change your diamond that you do not add diamonds to the prongs? For me personally, the current prongs take away from the rest of your ring. They were the first thing I noticed, not your 5ct diamond.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
If it were me I'd keep the stone and drop that current setting. The setting (and bands) look way too busy to me, you don't know where to focus. I'd go for a more subtle, classic look that showcases the main stone instead of smothering it. I love love love canuck-gals ring posted on the first page.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh if you got a different setting, three stone with some trillions or trapezoids and double claw prongs :naughty:

So classy and blingly! And Gosh do I love double claw prongs, especially on a large stone.
and then you arent getting a different stone :))

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! That setting is unbelievable!!! And it seems like you really love it, both because of the attention it gets and because of the love and detail your man put into it for you.

If it were ME... this is what I would do...

IF you are unhappy with your 5ct stone... I would upgrade it (even if that means going smaller) and put it in a different setting that really showcases the center stone.
THEN... I would get a colored stone (for me I would likely choose a Citrine or a Peridot, or maybe an Alexandrite if I could find one) and place it in that magnificent setting. So you can STILL show off the setting, with a colored stone you love, AND you can have an e-ring that has a stunning, perfect diamond that will be the show-stopper. Then you get TWO amazing rings, yet you don't overshadow a gorgeous stone with a setting that steals all the attention!

Just my 2 cents...
And for what it's worth... It is an amazing ring! And you must have a very amazing man to create such a thing for you!!! :love: :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
agree with doug's girl. except i wouldn't even upgrade the stone since 5k won't go far. maybe trade it in for a round? something not as deep, with more 'face value'. i see warmth in your photos, but it's not screaming at me. if you were to set it in a simple solitaire (i'm thinking the amazing solitaire by Poppyseed on DB), there would be no icy white melee stones to "compare" it to. the setting would show off the large center stone more.

yeah, and get a colored stone for your current setting, since you love it so much and it holds sentimental value. win/win.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice and compliments ladies! :D

I agree Canuck's ring is gorgeous!

I think I am leaning towards a round or cushion if I were to trade in the stone. I am really liking the Halo style and will likely use that design for a new setting.

Depending on the options and pricing provided by the vendors, I may have to redo the setting - although would love to have two settings. That would be awesome!! Perhaps redoing the prongs to claw prongs so they don't look so chunky.

More great options to consider!

Thanks everyone! The advice is great.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
A few members suggested changing out the setting. I actually found a few pics I took when I wore it as a solitaire. The jeweler allowed me to wear the stone while they were making my current setting.

Not the best shots, but you get the idea of what it looks like without the rest of the bling =)

_1151.jpg

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
This is on on my hand....

Had a bad hand day so I cut off the nail shots in this one.... :oops:

Let me know what you think of it all by itself...

solitaire2.jpg

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
I see it captured my nails anyway....

Please excuse them. I know..... they look bad :oops:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous as a solitaire.

With a 5 k budget the only think you can upgrade is the setting if you want to stick to a radiant. If you want to step DOWN in carat weight, I think an oval would be an amazing option personally. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1474899.asp 12mm x 6.7 basically. That's a LOT Of coverage for not a lot of dough. This one is 11 x 8: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Very-Good-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1379029.asp This oval faceting has some of that crushed ice look you love. To get more finger coverage you can set it with some nice sidestones:

https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/galleries/r4743_4e498ec956dc0.preview.jpg
https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/galleries/r360_4e46e21a05736.preview.jpg
http://www.diamonds-usa.com/images/Jewels/big/52691_Oval_w_0.jpg

And since you like pave you can have pave on the setting.

Here's an oval with trillions (stone measures 11x7). http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ru/rutgerskid/R-5822_02.jpg I think it would suit your style.

Here's a great oval ring. With the oval set east west: http://birkatelyon.com/images/DR1174WW(3).jpg

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I have pretty much accepted if I trade in the stone for a higher color and quality, I will have to go down in carat weight. I am good with that as long as I can maintain the finger coverage.

The options you provided are really nice. I really like the single and double claw settings. That is sooo pretty and looks elegant.

I am seriously considering a round because like the oval you get a lot of finger coverage without the requirement of a high carat weight.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
love2sparkle|1349133942|3277689 said:
Hi Gypsy thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I have pretty much accepted if I trade in the stone for a higher color and quality, I will have to go down in carat weight. I am good with that as long as I can maintain the finger coverage.

The options you provided are really nice. I really like the single and double claw settings. That is sooo pretty and looks elegant.

I am seriously considering a round because like the oval you get a lot of finger coverage without the requirement of a high carat weight.

Ovals are cheaper per carat than rounds. Rounds, with the kind of performance you would want in order to buy one, are expensive.

Also a 9x9 round will look smaller than a 9x9 square.

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
If I change out the stone to an oval now and later decide to upgrade to a larger stone or a different stone, will it be harder to swap out? I know rounds are very popular and typically are easier to trade.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
love2sparkle|1349134630|3277706 said:
If I change out the stone to an oval now and later decide to upgrade to a larger stone or a different stone, will it be harder to swap out? I know rounds are very popular and typically are easier to trade.

You will get the highest future trade in value with a diamond with a trade in policy. JA offers trade ins on all their stones. Good Old Gold offers it on stones that meet certain standards or are part of their signature lines. And almost all of the very popular PS vendors offer trade ins on IDEAL CUT round brilliants. If you think you might change your mind buy from a vendor that offers the policy on the stone you are buying and make sure you understand what the parameters of that policy is. Some require you to spend more than you did, some require you to spend double, some just require that you upgrade something (color, clarity).

The key for selling/trading any stone that doesn't have a trade in policy is that it has to be well cut, perform well, GIA or AGS certified and within a certain desirable range of color and clarity, not too high on color and clarity and not too low either. Both high color and clarity and very low color and clarity are hard to move. Shape also helps. More popular shapes sell better, so they will be easier to get a vendor to take as on a trade.

CDCsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Dougsgirl a 100%!
Im not normally a solitaire person, but I feel it looked wonderful as a solitaire. Its beautiful as it is now too, but the prongs/height are very distracting.
Do you have pics of when you wore it as a solitaire with your bands?

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsythanks for the feedback!

It's interesting you mentioned The key for selling/trading any stone that doesn't have a trade in policy is that it has to be well cut, perform well, GIA or AGS certified and within a certain desirable range of color and clarity, not too high on color and clarity and not too low either. Both high color and clarity and very low color and clarity are hard to move. Shape also helps. More popular shapes sell better, so they will be easier to get a vendor to take as on a trade.

What do you mean by not having too high of a color and clarity? I would think that it would be better to have a "higher end diamond - especially like with a more popular stone such as a round.

The vendor I am working with now does have a trade in policy and they will provide 100% trade in credit for the stone. I thought they provided appreciation credit but I was incorrect with that info. There are no restrictions in terms of the spending amount. As long as I spend $1.00 more, I can trade it in for any stone.

CDCsparkles - Thanks for the compliment! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the bands with the solitaire.They were made after the setting.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well gosh, I think your stone looks a million times better in the solitaire setting, but what we think doesn't matter--you're the one who has to wear it!

It sounds like you love your setting and you're unhappy with your stone. If I were in your situation and I had a setting I loved with a stone that irked me a bit, I'd wait to make any changes until I could upgrade to THE stone that would work best in my beloved setting. I agree with others, I think your setting totally swallows up your stone, and a larger stone would look much better in it. Right now I don't even notice your stone, all I see are those huge, square prongs. Of course, upgrading to a larger stone that's also higher in color and clarity will take more money, but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Settings are great, but if you're even a bit unhappy with the center stone, I don't think you're ever going to be completely happy with your ring. It sounds like you love having a set that attracts attention from others, and your current setting is so large that it's definitely going to do that. If I were you, and I had your priorities and preferences, I'd keep the setting and wait until I could replace my center stone with a stone I really love.

Good luck! Great dilemma to have, right?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haven|1349211926|3278226 said:
Well gosh, I think your stone looks a million times better in the solitaire setting, but what we think doesn't matter--you're the one who has to wear it!

It sounds like you love your setting and you're unhappy with your stone. If I were in your situation and I had a setting I loved with a stone that irked me a bit, I'd wait to make any changes until I could upgrade to THE stone that would work best in my beloved setting. I agree with others, I think your setting totally swallows up your stone, and a larger stone would look much better in it. Right now I don't even notice your stone, all I see are those huge, square prongs. Of course, upgrading to a larger stone that's also higher in color and clarity will take more money, but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Settings are great, but if you're even a bit unhappy with the center stone, I don't think you're ever going to be completely happy with your ring. It sounds like you love having a set that attracts attention from others, and your current setting is so large that it's definitely going to do that. If I were you, and I had your priorities and preferences, I'd keep the setting and wait until I could replace my center stone with a stone I really love.

Good luck! Great dilemma to have, right?

I agree with Haven totally!

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
Hi Haven thanks for the feedback as well!

LOL! Yeah a great dilemna to have :D

I am in agreement with the consensus that the prongs are "swallowing up the center stone" and there is alot to focus on.

What does everyone think if I slightly modify the setting by lowering the center floating stone a bit and redoing the prongs so that it sets in the stone in a claw or double claw setting? I would have to work with the jeweler to see how the claw prongs would affect the overall setting.

Does everything think if with these two changes, the setting would still be overwhelming? Or should I just stick with the traditional settings. It seems that with everyone's ring the options are halos, solitaires, eternity, three stone, five stone rings, etc....

My fav so far is the halo style! :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought you love your current setting? Now I'm confused!

radiantbeauty

Shiny_Rock
I do love my current setting. :) There are some things about the setting that a few PSers mentioned that I had not thought of before or perhaps considered. For example the large prongs taking away from the center stone. In comparison to other center stones set, the prongs are not nearly as large and chunky as the setting I have now.

As I have looked more thoroughly at other rings posted on the site, I find myself loving the claw and double claw prongs settings.

I was looking at other options to still keeping the existing setting (without redesigning it in it's entirety) but modifying only a few aspects of it to make it more refined.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is enough metal there that a REALLY skilled bench should be able to do something with the prongs/head to make it less like the prongs are trying to conquer the center stone.

As for traditional settings... it's a preference thing.

What is it about the DESIGN of your current ring that you love? If you only love it because it's unique and no one else has it (different for the sake of being different) then, sure consider changing it. But if you actually like the design because you just like the design... modifying it might be worth a shot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results