shape
carat
color
clarity

4k princess cut diamond...need advice please help!

halljor

Rough_Rock
Im looking at buying a princess cut diamond for my girlfriend. I found this one online at whiteflash.com

Is this a good deal for the price? I need a little advice. I read up on the 4 c's. I just don't fully understand the weight of each of them

See below for the diamond im looking at.

DIAMOND PERFORMANCE
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Good
DIAMOND INFORMATION
Item Code 2799023
Category Virtual Selection
Shape Princess
Carat 1.00
Color E
Clarity SI1
Rating
This Princess cut diamond can be professionally evaluated by one of the Whiteflash’s Graduate Gemologists upon request.

DIAMOND SPECIFICATIONS
Depth % 81.3
Table % 74.0
Crown Angle 0.0
Star 0.0
Pavilion Angle 0.0
Crown % 0.0
Lower Girdle % 0.0
Measurements 5.13x5.11x4.15
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Girdle Thin-Very Thick

halljor

Rough_Rock
Would you buy this?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't consider it. The 81% depth and the spread of 5.1mm (a 1ct princess should be closer to 5.5) are dealbreakers for me.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
That seems to be one of Whiteflash's virtual stones - it's not one of the ones they carry in house. Are you looking to hit the 1 carat mark? It's waaay too deep. As well, what type of setting are you looking to do and what is your budget for that part? We can help you look!

halljor

Rough_Rock
Have around a 4k maybe a 4.5k budget. I would like to hit the 1 carat size. But is this necessary? She is only 4'11 and 115.

I really like just a four prong solitare band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to get the largest stone that you can within your budget. When looking at WF, you go to their in-house stones because those have been pre-selected for having excellent cut. However, I am not finding anything there in your budget at the moment, but there is a stone just under a carat that is a little over budget. I take it she asked specifically for a princess cut?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2790087.htm

Here are a couple more to consider:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9489/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9488/ (if eyeclean)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people get hung up on carats rather than face-up spread. The truth is that carat is a measure of weight, not dimensions. If you have two stones that are 5.1mm, and one is 1ct but the other is 0.8ct, I'd rather have the 0.8ct because you're getting more bang for your buck. The two stones will look the same, but the lower carat one is a better value because you'll pay less to get the same size.

The ones from GOG look nice and are well within your budget (especially the H). WF one is also nice but over budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results