shape
carat
color
clarity

4c Tiffany Ring for $66k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Kmom, you are so cute.
1.gif
2.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
to mara

you would upgrade your ering after one year.........do people do it that quickly?

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Yeeeowwwzer!!! I'll take that Tiffany ANY day!

2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Hey it's gone! ....... Jennifer???

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Very funny... I WISH.
3.gif
2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
LMAO

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ws, well regular people probably don't...but diamond obsessed sparklie lovers....possibly?
9.gif

I guess technically I already upgraded my diamond, about 14 months after the original purchase. I got about the same size diamond, but a much better cut quality. So now I want a jump in size! It may or may not happen in 2005...but I fervently wish it does.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/24/2004 12:14:29 AM windowshopper wrote:

to mara

you would upgrade your ering after one year.........do people do it that quickly?----------------

WS
you should ask Jenn this question,she wrote the book on upgrades,2 months is a long time for her...LOL

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/26/2004 7:42:27 PM vtigger86 wrote:

WS
you should ask Jenn this question,she wrote the book on upgrades,2 months is a long time for her...LOL----------------

well, well, well, want to play rough, do we???
11.gif

I'll have you know it was more like 2 WEEKS....and 10 YEARS.
3.gif
2.gif
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Okay, let's lay off Jennifer...

It has been 16 years this month since I became engaged and since then I've been through 3 center stones and 5 mountings.

Someone commit me
11.gif

I seriously need help!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am with you! And, we all know how to use our charms to get the husbands from "never" to "let''s just go look" to "will this make you happy?" This is something I have mastered over the years...also, the "plant the seed" and then never bring it up is a great surprise tactic if you normally tend to lay it on thick when you are in the mood for something...shake things up a bit!
31.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Jenn, it appears that you are the lady to speak to for finding a way to get upgrades...I am thrillled for you...I am new around here and am anxious to convince my hubby that after 24 1/2 years of marriage and 9 kids, its WAY time for an upgrade!
emotion-5.gif

I have been dropping hints for about a good month and he is always commenting on how much time I spend at the computer checking PS and reading up on others success stories. I even have come up with my "dream ring" thanks largely in part to alot of you, the pics available online and have printed out some of the pics for reference.

As mentioned by someone else, sometimes I can lay things on thick so I have cut WAY back on direct hints, but now it appears it may be TOO much cuz he''s not picking up on anything.
emsad.gif

I don''t want to be a nag, but I have been greeting him with hugs, kisses, and reminders of how much I cherish us, our marriage and of how much brighter our relationship sparkles and how I want to capture that in my new stone and setting
emotion-5.gif
...hint, hint!

If you have any other constructive suggestions to help me get us to the next level (for him to be willing to go see at stones--would be HUGE
emteeth.gif
), I would SO much appreciate it...

Like I said at the beginning of this, you ARE the lady to ask...obviously, others here on PS have successfully achieved what I desperately want, so I am ALL ears...please chime in!
emsmile.gif

Thanks in advance for all of the advice!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jenn is the queen of bling here, hey Jenn we need ya!!!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wow--I am so flattered you want my advice, Deanne.
emembarrassed.gif
I will do my best to try to help you!
face1.gif

(thanks to Kaleigh, for sending me back here
2.gif
)

Each person's situation is different. For me/us, we started out very humbly and an ering upgrade was the furthest thing from my mind for YEARS. When we finally started to succeed professionally and had more disposable income, this was the first thing I wanted as a "luxury" item. I took it in baby steps... First, I persuaded him to reset my orginal stone in platinum from 14K YG, which he did. Then, I got him to look at Pscope pix, as you have done, and see the Ideal cut stones... he was very sentimental about the orignal stone (< 1 ct, shallow cut) and did not want to trade it in, so I still have it. He surprised me with a 1.5 ct unbranded H&A the following year, and yes, 2 weeks later, I convinced him to go for the 3 ct--my dream size--when our jeweler showed us a great stone at a great price.

A lot of factors came into play:

1. We did have the resources
2. He understood how important it was for me
3. He felt very involved and picked out the setting himself and 1st stone himself
4. Our jeweler is like family and makes it very easy for my husband to pick out nice things (my husband knows nothing about diamonds like we do)

It sounds like you and your husband have built a wonderful life--9 kids--WOW!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
and it may be the right time to treat yourself. Is there anyting he wants that he's been putting off due to other responsibiltiies? Maybe you can suggest you both treat yourselves at Christmas or your next anniversary (you get the diamond and he gets whatever). or, you can get him out to a romantic dinner, get a couple of glasses of wine in him (hey--don't knock it--it works
6.gif
2.gif
) and honestly tell him you'd like a new dimaond ring to commemorate all the things you've accomplisged in your marriage. That it's something you would really like (some women want furs, lavish vacations, or other stuff) and you'd like him to be part of the process so it is something you do togather. Of course, I am assuming you both can agree on a budget and stay within those parameters.
1.gif

There is no magic formula. It has to be the right time financially and otherwise to spend money on a diamond. But if you feel it is the right time for YOU, you should broach the subject in a relaxed but thoughtful way and see what he says. The dropping of hints and leaving of pictures is not enough!

One last note: Several years ago, long before Pscope, I REALLY got the itch for a bigger diamond...we went back to the jeweler from whom he got my original ering 12 years ago and I looked at 2 ct stones...she said she'd do a payment plan of $500 a month for 2 years! Mind you, we had just BORROWED $4,000 to buy our condo, were living paycheck to paycheck and buried in other debt. I wanted it soooo badly
emcry.gif
...but he just couldn't agree to it--because it was RIDICULOUS.
40.gif
It has to be right and you both have to feel good about it.
2.gif

Keep us posted and hang in there--I bet he will come through for you!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also upgraded (twice now) at 10 and 15 years of marriage and three kids. Like everyone has said here or on other threads, ulitmately, you know your man and what works. I am also a firm believer of timing is everything. Clearly there is a time and place to work on it. I know that with my husband I try subtle hints in the beginning, then I step it up a bit if he is not seeming to get it. Sometimes I push too hard and he gets really mad, and I have to back off for a while. Lots of times we do not agree on the importance of something I want to have...that''s why it helps to acknowledge his view but be clear that you value it. Sometimes guys just want to know you will be satisfied and happy if they step up to the plate. I also find humor works wonders!
31.gif
I must say, for 25 years and 9 kids you sure deserve something amazing...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SO much, Jenn, for responding so swiftly! My hubby, Chris, is an accountant by degree and a indepent financial consultant, so I need to talk his "lingo" to draw him in and take me seriously. You are SO right about a budget, or as I like to refer to it, a spending plan. Most couples have realistically a spending plan because, hello, that''s what we do is prioritize our spending.

Chris is a very practical guy and with 4 kids in college, 2 kids in the beginning stages of braces and running 2 local businesses (we own a local dance studio with our eldest daughter teaching there and running the daily business and we also recently purchased an existing flower shop that our eldest son runs with my assistance) on top of his day job. He does deprive himself of things or opportunities for the betterment of the family. He is AWESOME and I am blessed to be his wife.
emotion-5.gif

Recently, we put in a rock lagoon-like pool, complete with 2 waterfalls, an 8 person jacuzzi, a palapa covered bbq for Chris, and have put in most of our backyard landscaping to create a tropical paradise. We saved $ for the pool and worked with a pool consultant and saved about 35%.
emotion-15.gif

You have a great idea about discovering something he wants but is ignoring for the sake of the family. He is SO deserving...I feel I am deserving as well...9 kids--7 sons and 2 daughters...is wonderful and terrible at the same time. Our eldest is 23 1/2 and she is a handful...our youngest is a son and he is 8 and is already a lady''s man. I am truly rich with regards to my family. I have a modest .75 ct. princess cut, G-H in color, VSI and have had it for 9 years. It is a replacement for my first ring that was accidentally lost by my first 2 kids about 15 years ago. I know I want a 1.5-2 ct. Regent or Jubilee cut with some pave diamonds in an elegant but simple setting. I even have a drawing to show what I want that I carry everywhere with me...just in case he decides to show interest.
emembarrassed.gif

Just so you and everyone reading this knows, if for some reason my sweet, but pinch penny hubby doesn''t "get it" for awhile and I have to wait or be more obvious with my desire for a bigger rock and plat setting, that''s ok. I am one very blessed lady and have alot already...
emsmile.gif

Anyways, Jenn, you are so sweet and such a great help...I cannot tel you how appreciative I am that you took the time to address my concerns...If you are ever in Riverside, Ca, let me know...let''s get together!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondfan,

You are so sweet...I appreciate your support...and advice...You folks here at PS are so generous and wonderful...
emotion-5.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think YOU sound incredible! I have three kids and sometimes feel so overwhelmed with the needs of three little beings. I cannot being to imagine 9 people plus a husband (even the greatest men can, at times, act like another child!) needing me and me holding it together as you so clearly do. I think your husband is also blessed to have you, and I am sure you are a wonderful mom and support. I would also guess your house runs like a very organized machine...just the logistics of all those people and their things is scary to comtemplate! Do you have a huge table and a lazy susan? Color coded towels? I envision that old movie with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda called "Yours, mine and ours"...of course, that was about a blended family and then a new addition, but there are some funny scenes about organizing the house with so many people in...the teenagers never thinking they get enough time in the bathroom etc...it is so funny but serious at the same time. I will think diamond thoughts and do a diamond "rain'' dance in your honor, but as you said, you are fine either way! I think that is when good things come our way; when we relax and let it happen in the way it was meant to...and I cannot imagine that your husband does not bless a higher power every day for you and all you do for your family...good things will come your way.
17.gif
PS How did your ring get lost? My friend''s son flushed hers down the toilet after they gave the dead goldfish a burial...he thought it was a good idea!

rphgemlover

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 95px">Date: 6/22/2005 9:08:43 PM
Author: DeannaBana
Jenn, it appears that you are the lady to speak to for finding a way to get upgrades...I am thrillled for you...I am new around here and am anxious to convince my hubby that after 24 1/2 years of marriage and 9 kids, its WAY time for an upgrade!
emotion-5.gif
Twenty-five years is a HUGE milestone these days - one that I hope I can accomplish too. Your anniversary is coming soon, and I agree with Jenn. You both have undoubtedly passed up on some (or a lot) of the things you have wanted over the years, maybe when you were first starting out together, and it''s now time to reward yourselves!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Diamondfan! You have made my day! On the subject of organization...I am not anal over being organized but I do expect and promote each member of our family to be ''part of the team'' so to say. With the older kids, when they do their laundry, they are expected to do a communal load as well(towels, whites, etc.). Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don''t. When my hubby gave me pearls 2 Christmases ago, I nearly died! The set was the necklace, a 17" strand, and the stud earringsof exceptional quality.
emsmilep.gif
The kids'' gift to me was to pick up the slack with the laundry for the next 7 days. Now, THAT was nice.
emotion-5.gif

As for how the initial ring set got lost...my oldest 2 kids(I had 6 kids at the time), were playing house. I had taken off my wedding set to clean the oven of the home we were moving from and had destroyed my last pair of yellow cleaning gloves. Not wanting to get them messed up with the grossness of the oven, I took them off for the first time in my young married life. Bad choice. The kids got into the jewelry box--which was to be carried out to the car and unlocked at the time
emsad.gif
--and, well, the rest is history. Because of the cost of things at the time--moving into a new house, new baby(this seemed to be a constant expense for us for awhile, despite the pill
emembarrassed.gif
), etc., I did not get a replacement until about 9 years ago. I designed the ring then with a local jeweler, who has since left the state.
emsad.gif

Now, as I have been exposed to all the BLING that y''all have or will have
emotion-5.gif
, I would like just a little myself...thanks for your kind words...my jewelry box itself has pieces of sentimental jewelry, whereas my kids and hubby, who is, yes, sometimes my 10th child
emotion-5.gif
,is my true gems! I appreciate everyone''s advice...I am not a vain person--per se--but I LIKE quality things...like my Marc Jacobs handbag that I just got a lil bit ago...shhhh...my hubby does not know and that''s the way its gotta stay
emotion-16.gif
!

Thanks for letting me ramble on about me and my family...we are making plans for mini-getaways and I may find a way to steer him towards a jeweler or two...y''know, if they just HAPPEN to be where we are...hee hee hee!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Rphgemlover,

Thanks for your support! Yes, a marriage approaching 25 years IS huge...it hasn''t been easy either. We have 3 out of our 7 sons who have ADD--attention deficit disorder--who require daily meds and behavioral modification. This has been a gigantic undertaking, but I hang in there and take them to dr appts--both psycologist/ counselor and medical--as well as attempt to provide as much structure as I can.
emotion-15.gif
Our 2 girls--ages 23 1/2 and 20 years old--help in other areas. Our eldest,Melanie, teaches dance at our family-owned dance studio, as well as attends a local university, and Lynzee, the younger daughter, works at a local restaurant and attends a local community college. When they are home, however, and I am not, they oversee the supervision of the home until I arrive. My eldest son and I work together at our flower shop. I work 2 to 3 1/2 days a week there and I LOVE it! I love helping to make people happy with plants or flowers and balloons.
emsmile.gif

Our 18 yr old son works at a local electronic store. He runs deliveries for us sometimes, as does Lynzee. Our 16 yr old,15 yr old, and 13 yr old are the sons with ADD and they need me for structure...especially Alex, our
15 yr old who is struggling with school. Brennan, our 16 yr old, is actually doing extremely well and has started to be more independent of my supervision with regards to his ADD. Brennan started off life with major kidney problems and has had 3 surgeries to correct this condition. He also has 60% hearing loss in one ear due to complications with this prematurity at birth. Nick, our 13 yr old, has finished 7th grade and is prepping for 8th grade. He and the other boys help where they can at the flower shop.
emwink.gif

Our 10 yr old, Austin, is a gifted child academically and is intense. Both he and Ryan, my 22 yr old, are gifted and expect alot of themselves and others. Both young men are awesome and amazingly academically talented. Christian, 8 yrs old, is the baby of the brood and loves to dance. He just participated in our annual dance recital and was in 3 dance numbers--hip hop, jazz and ballet.
emteeth.gif

Yes, I have a lot on my plate, but what a feast! My interest in a little bit more BLING in my life at this time is because I would like a slightly bigger center stone, better quality, and a plat setting. I feel our marriage has weathered alot of trials that maybe would have done another person''s relationship in. The larger stone for me represents how much larger our love has grown. The pave diamonds I want symbolize how much more our love sparkles for one another. The plat setting represents how solid our love and marriage has had to become to endure all the storms that life has tossed at us. Maybe this is corny, but for me, its true...
emembarrassed.gif

Thanks again for your sweet support...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Deanne, your life and family are amazing! Wow, what a woman!
36.gif
9.gif

I think the anniversary is IDEAL timing....you know your husband best and use the tidbits we've all sugegsted to formulate a plan to push him that little bit he needs to go.
2.gif
3.gif
Ii can't wait to eventually see this ring--you have great taste and the stone & setting you describe will be so elegant and timeless!

And that pool set-up is awesome! We plan to get to CA one day soon and you are definitely on my priority visiting list!
1.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jenn!

Well, you know you are totally hooked up...just make your way to CA and my family and I will provide a wonderful time for you and yours...I LOVE having people over, relaxing and absorbing the peace and calm of my backyard...maybe by then, we could check out some new BLING!
emotion-5.gif
Who knows?!

Seriously, though, my door is always open to friends...and my pool is nice and inviting!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Deanne,
You are an amazing person. I hope you get this ring, you deserve it!!! I can''t wait to see this baby!!!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, Kaleigh! Wow...you all have made me feel so special
emembarrassed.gif
...and it is truly appreciated. I may not as of yet have alot of material BLING but I sure appreciate my friends--new here at PS--as well as family. I will keep you ladies informed as things develop. I have family visiting from out of state this week, so sometime during the next 2-4 weeks, my hubby and I want to steal away for an extended weekend to reconnect, so the beginning of things could start then...

Again, Kaleigh, you are the best! Thanks!
emotion-5.gif

And to all of you who have made suggestions, I have them and plan to use what I can in the best way I can. Everyone at PS roots for everyone else and I LOVE that!
emotion-19.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deanne,
We know a nice person when we come across them and all of us wish you the very best and hope you get this dream ring!!! I only have 2 kids and take my hat off to you for having 9!!! Let us know how it goes and we will be keeping our fingers crossed for you!!!!
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deanne
good luck,you deserve it,now... go work on good O hubby.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the bottom line here is YOU are the gem! Seriously, you could probably run a small country! It is great to get all the kids to have a sense of being part of something bigger. It is so important for kids to see their place in the bigger picture since being a child involves thinking the world revolves around only you. As a kid grows, they start to see the needs and wants of others around them. A token of appreciation for all you do is well deserved!!! I will certainly hope that you DO get your material reward for all you have been through and weathered as a wife, mom and friend. Since you have your groundedness and sense of spiritual reward, and clearly have your prioriites so straight, you, simply put, are most deserving of whatever tangible (i.e. bling) you want. I always say it is not that you place a higher value on the material stuff, and it does not define WHO and WHAT you are, but it sure doesn''t suck either!!! Good luck, work your magic on your hubby and the rest will work itself out!!!
emthup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results