shape
carat
color
clarity

4am Impulse buy...

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I half impulse buy at 4am a couple of nights ago. I was looking at a particular Spinel on Etsy and before going to bed I said to myself, I’m going to sleep it off and decide if I’m going to buy this when I wake up tomorrow.
However!! My cat woke me up at 4am in the morning to let her out of the room, and when I went back to bed, I decided to have just ‘one last look’ at the video before going to sleep. Lol, we all know what happened next :lol:
I ended up buying the stone at 4am in the morning...

Now fast forward to 2 days later when the stone is shipped, I all of a sudden have this worry that what if the stone is fake? It’s $700 for a 2.5ct bright raspberry semi neon pink Spinel. Is this too good to be true?
Even tho I said it was an impulse buy, I did do a thorough research on the seller prior to buying. He is not listed in the ‘List of Vendor Reference’ but someone from PSer had bought from him before (with a refund I think), and I checked out all his YouTube videos, website, reviews, instagram (not much in it) and Twitter... he seems legitimate.
But my problem is, the stone doesn’t have a certificate. Prior to buying I always had the intention to get it certified. If it turns out to be fake I can always return and get my refund through Etsy/PayPal. But now, a new thought hit me. What if it’s fake? Then I wouldn’t be able to get my certificate money back! That’s at least AUD$150 spend on a fake stone. But if I don’t get it certified, I will never know if it’s real or not.

Is there a simple way to check to see if it’s a real Spinel? Or does anyone have any idea what I should do next? Am I just scaring myself?

Also any aussie here know where is a good place to go to to certify a CS in Australia? I sent an email to GSL about their service yesterday, no reply yet.

Thanks all in advance!:kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Want to share who the vendor is? Maybe others have bought from him/her too and can chime in with some reassurance. :D

My pink spinels react to UV light. I'm not sure if that applies to fakes too. Hopefully someone can help you there.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic spinel has a usual refractive index of 1.727 vs. natural spinel at 1.712 to 1.720 per the gemology sites. Is there any gem clubs in the area who would be willing to test the refractive index for you?

The price IMHO is too good to be true. From my experience it is not easy to find larger pink spinels with good color that are cheap. Usually the spinel received does not look like the description (undisclosed flaws, chips, poor color saturation) or it's fake.

Almost all my larger spinels have lab reports even those bought through trusted vendors. I have been burned by trusted vendors before- so keep in mind some trusted vendors are more trustworthy than others. If you receive a beautiful pink spinel then I recommend you get a lab report. If it comes back as genuine then you have gotten a great deal.

Looking forward to pics and hoping it is the real deal for you.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm is that a heart shaped spinel by any chance from a Sri Lankan seller?

For that amount I would get a gem brief because if it's not tested, it would always niggle at me in the back of my head.

I'm lucky where I am currently with local labs to access so even sending in my $45 chrysoberyl from Etsy just to check it really is one rather than a synthetic only sets me back a few dollars. I have a lab back home that I use for pricier purchases since they cost way more.

Even stones from my regular jeweller we send for tests because convincing synthetics or non native origin stones are known to slip into the supply chain now and then and may blindside the intermediaries and end seller.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where in Australia are you? The only guy in Sydney, GSL, is Bill who also lectures at my Gemology course. So yes, we have Refractometers at our lab plus all the other stuff. Next lesson is Wednesday (theory) the week after is lab work again.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Elle, I bought the stone from CaratZone on Etsy.
Hmm is that a heart shaped spinel by any chance from a Sri Lankan seller?

Yes it is, what a good guess!! :P2 Have you purchased from him before? What do you think about the stone?

Bron, I’ve emailed [email protected] on Wednesday, but I haven’t received a reply yet.
I found a list of gemologist on the GAA website in NSW, do you think maybe one of them will be able to test the refractive index? Or only GSL that has the equipment to do so?
http://www.gem.org.au/gemmologist/search

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
post a link to it

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes I've had a positive and negative experience having bought 2x from him. The other stone wasn't as advertised and had 2 obvious inclusions so I sent that back and had to chase repeatedly for a refund over a few weeks but did get it back in the end. It was us$200+ iirc. The other cheaper stone was nice and as advertised and tested true.

If the origin of the pink spinel is Burma as advertised and colour and clarity that good, I would say it's either old stock or a very good deal. Do get it tested and goodluck! :)

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes I've had a positive and negative experience having bought 2x from him. The other stone wasn't as advertised and had 2 obvious inclusions so I sent that back and had to chase repeatedly for a refund over a few weeks but did get it back in the end. It was us$200+ iirc. The other cheaper stone was nice and as advertised and tested true.

If the origin of the pink spinel is Burma as advertised and colour and clarity that good, I would say it's either old stock or a very good deal. Do get it tested and goodluck! :)

Its always hard selling and buying on line, I have an etsy shop and Its hard to get a good picture set of every gemstone accurately also a gemstone might look slightly different due to different lighting. What I have found that works is that I have a no questions asked return policy. I would say I get around 10%-15% return on gemstones I sell. I don't even ask and the second it gets back they get there money back. If your going to buy online make sure they have a clear return policy and check the reviews. Etsy seams to be a great platform.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its always hard selling and buying on line, I have an etsy shop and Its hard to get a good picture set of every gemstone accurately also a gemstone might look slightly different due to different lighting. What I have found that works is that I have a no questions asked return policy. I would say I get around 10%-15% return on gemstones I sell. I don't even ask and the second it gets back they get there money back. If your going to buy online make sure they have a clear return policy and check the reviews. Etsy seams to be a great platform.

Yes generally the sellers are ok.

Except his excuse in this case was he didn't even handle the stone and thus was unaware of the inclusions. So I ask for extra photos or videos now.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Images where the table (if that is the term), the main center facet, is only a bright mirror, seem to hide something. Either inclusions or a window? Why do some sellers make images always with that 'mirror' in the center?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Images where the table (if that is the term), the main center facet, is only a bright mirror, seem to hide something. Either inclusions or a window? Why do some sellers make images always with that 'mirror' in the center?

Exactly. Irks me to no end so got to ask for more pics and videos.

I've been caught out a few times like that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellow, I hope it turns out to be just what you hoped it would be.

In the meantime please share any photo(s) you have of it when you can... Remember,
457492dro0rb016c.gif

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know that vendors who cut their own stones, also have a lot of old stock mixed in with their new and who don’t have a brick and mortar store have better prices. However, caratzone prices always seemed a bit too good to be true to me. That’s why I’ve never bought from there. I’m crossing my fingers for you that it’s as pretty in hand as it was online.

By the way, the kitty in your avatar is extremely cute!!

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the support!! Here is the link to the stone!
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/590...pinel-254-carats-heart?show_sold_out_detail=1

As for pictures, I haven't got anymore than what's on the listing. But I do have two videos that he took with his phone.
There was a funny(-ish) story to it... When I first ask for a video to be made, the seller agreed to take a good one for me the next day. I was sooo excited to see the video I waited all day for it. But then, he didn't reply until night time and said that he couldn't capture the real colour so he didn't take any...!! Imagine my disappointment lol. He said that I should just trust him, and buy the stone because it is fluorescent (I asked if it is) and beautiful. I told him I wouldn't buy this without seeing a video lol.
10 mins later he took the videos with his phone and send it to me.
Because he already mentioned that he couldn't capture the real colour (which I assume it's the glowing pink showing in his pictures), I kinda knew not to expect the fluorescent pink. I also find that the colour looks prettier on my iphone than on my computer. On the computer I see a slight hinge of orangy on the stone which I can't see on my phone. On my phone I only see a very pretty raspberry pink.
Do you guys see the orangy colour?? I'm praying not :lol:

By the way, the kitty in your avatar is extremely cute!!
Thank you chatoyancy!! She is the prettiest girl in the house and she melts everyone's heart!:kiss2::P2

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG, had that spinel in my favourites list. Glad you got it mellow, it's really pretty.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just wait for it :) it's alr on its way to you

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On video the stone lacks the color saturation of the pictures. If you like the stone that is all that matters. Looking forward to your impressions when it arrives.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have bought from this vendor before. He had an eBay store that was closed and now he opens a store on Etsy. His stones in real life usually are darker or grayer than the stones on the photos. He has some nice stones but you have to be lucky.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Thanks pwsg, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see then.
Have you ever got any of his stone tested?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks pwsg, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see then.
Have you ever got any of his stone tested?
No. Garnet and Zircon don't come in synthetic so I didn't test it. A spinel has some natural inclusion but I haven't verified the inclusion. Some stones are not pretty so I don't think they are fake.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Want to share who the vendor is? Maybe others have bought from him/her too and can chime in with some reassurance. :D

My pink spinels react to UV light. I'm not sure if that applies to fakes too. Hopefully someone can help you there.

Fakes react way more! In fact, I have one antique stone that has blinding response to UV light. I suspect it is fake, I should post a photo.

P.S. it seems that glass- filled rubies also respond way more. Not a scientific way to test, but personal observation.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic spinel has a usual refractive index of 1.727 vs. natural spinel at 1.712 to 1.720 per the gemology sites. Is there any gem clubs in the area who would be willing to test the refractive index for you?

The price IMHO is too good to be true. From my experience it is not easy to find larger pink spinels with good color that are cheap. Usually the spinel received does not look like the description (undisclosed flaws, chips, poor color saturation) or it's fake.

Almost all my larger spinels have lab reports even those bought through trusted vendors. I have been burned by trusted vendors before- so keep in mind some trusted vendors are more trustworthy than others. If you receive a beautiful pink spinel then I recommend you get a lab report. If it comes back as genuine then you have gotten a great deal.

Looking forward to pics and hoping it is the real deal for you.

I suspect that trusted vendors get burned, too, when new treatments appear on the market because they have suppliers they trust, etc.

(A good example, I decided to set a red princess cut spinel that I once bought from a vendor with excellent reputation. I got a call from a jeweler stating that for a red spinel it was too clean, and what about certifying it. (I think it is natural as there once was a small chip on the girdle that was recut by a gemologist who has instinct... He probably would have raised a concern). Anyhow, I decided to certify it. So...if my stone comes back as synthetic, or heated, or something else, this would only testify that once upon a time, a new treatment was introduced, and I was the unlucky one to be on the receiving end. If it is natural, merely very red and very clean, then it will probably be very expensive.)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from this vendor before. He had an eBay store that was closed and now he opens a store on Etsy. His stones in real life usually are darker or grayer than the stones on the photos. He has some nice stones but you have to be lucky.
I think I bought from him, too. A green tourmaline that was true to picture and cheap. Good luck with the spinel.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fakes react way more! In fact, I have one antique stone that has blinding response to UV light. I suspect it is fake, I should post a photo.

P.S. it seems that glass- filled rubies also respond way more. Not a scientific way to test, but personal observation.

Thank you Arkteia. I should really educate myself on the science behind it all. Sometimes I just get blinded by the sparkle. :shifty:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Arkteia. I should really educate myself on the science behind it all. Sometimes I just get blinded by the sparkle. :shifty:
I learned the sad way.

My mom left me “aquas” that are glass.
An “alexandrite” from my great-grandma is synthetic sapphire.
And my mother-in- law left a lot of the same, including a «spinel». That is probably synthetic spinel or corundum.

The good news, all these items have high-carat gold in them. :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned the sad way.

My mom left me “aquas” that are glass.
An “alexandrite” from my great-grandma is synthetic sapphire.
And my mother-in- law left a lot of the same, including a «spinel». That is probably synthetic spinel or corundum.

The good news, all these items have high-carat gold in them. :)

I’m sorry. That is a sad way to learn indeed. :confused2: At least the settings are good quality and I’m sure some of them have sentimental value. =)2

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
True about vintage gems. I had an inherited box with 'all real' gems from early last century, most were fakes, though my ancestors were not cheapskates and did buy other expensive things those days. No lab reports however. I will never never never buy a gem without report, even if it is simply to retain the value for those grand-kids who get my jewelery box in year 2118 a.d.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
I GOT MY STONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm soooooooooooo HAPPY with it!! (Yes, caps and bold are needed, that's how happy I am!!! XD)
My first impression was... Wow, it's huge.
Second impression was... The stone is really bright!! There's no grey or darkness in it which was a surprise because I was half expecting it to be bad lol. Vendor's videos definitely didn't do it justice. I also agree with vendor's choice of word 'Vibrant' in the listing, as it is exactly what ran through my head when I look at it. The stone IS vibrant, like, super vibrant lol. The color of it is just so amazing, I couldn't get enough of it :lickout:

One thing tho, I haven't been able to see that same kind of fluorescent pink as shown in vendor's pic, probably because I don't have a black uv light? I tried to use the UV lamp for the nails but that didn't work :lol::lol::lol: There are some instances where I think the stone is kinda glowing?? I'm not sure, I haven't seen a real Mahenge Spinel in person yet so I can't really tell..

Ok! Enough talking! I'll be uploading some pics & videos real soon :twisted2::twisted2::twisted2:

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Oh noe, PS wouldn’t let me upload videos :(
I was hoping I could show you the ‘rainbow effect’ that it has when light is shining through the internal crack/split...
Anyway... these were taken at home, under downlights:

0ADAC5EF-4F11-4845-A5AE-D1E7C802F2DD.jpeg 222F7AEA-B78D-45E0-BD78-E433DE8AC1A4.jpeg
Pink Spinel next to my AVR
7D669B5E-CCA9-4AAB-96C9-035036593BB6.jpeg 98D1D4EA-E644-4897-A815-51714C58651F.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results