shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prongs on oval solitaire setting?

Nicm

Rough_Rock
I have ordered this setting in platinum for a 1c oval diamond. I am delighted with the stone (after much advice from you guys and Todd Gray), but am now worrying about the setting.

Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 20.39.23.png Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 20.39.15.png Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 20.39.08.png

I mainly chose this because I want a 1.5mm band and this was one of 2 options. Now I'm worried it won't be secure enough.
What do you guys think? Was it stupid to order only 4 prongs and no basket?
I did contact them (JA) about a custom design 2 weeks ago but still haven't heard back and I couldn't wait any longer to order! I phoned customer service today and the lady I spoke to said it will be secure and not to worry - she seemed to be basing this on the stone only being 1c.

It may be too late to change, but should I try to?
Would 6 prongs detract from the stone? Or would the protection make up for the aesthetic loss? Or would 3 prongs either side be worth a try? (Thus avoiding the 'marquise look'.)

L

lydial

I can’t say how strong the setting will be based on her daily activity level... but I love the tiny X under the basket with the bigger O if the ring. XO. Hugs and kisses:) I love the symbolism.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Did you already buy the stone from JA and that's why you want to get a setting from them?

I think it's fine but admittedly I'd like to see a support bar on that basket, which reduces the risk of torquing a prong substantially.

Like this, which also has the band width you wanted.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
@lydial I hadn't even noticed that. It is nice!

@kb1gra yes I bought the diamond from JA. Do you think this one would be better? I didn't get it because it looks like it sits higher.

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.49.png Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.36.png Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.26.png

L

lydial

@Nicm I think the one you chose has wedge shaped prongs to make them stronger, reducing the need to have the bars. The Adiamor setting is beautiful but the second one you posted is weird to me. Proportions are off. But would help a wedding band sit flush assuming it isn’t tall.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
@Nicm I think the one you chose has wedge shaped prongs to make them stronger, reducing the need to have the bars. The Adiamor setting is beautiful but the second one you posted is weird to me. Proportions are off. But would help a wedding band sit flush assuming it isn’t tall.

Yes the one @kb1gra posted is lovely. I just spoke to JA about adding a support bar or 2 extra prongs. They said the extra prongs would have to go top and bottom and I don't like that look (it's an oval stone). For the support bar he said we can submit a request for an alteration, but if I'm doing it for security rather than looks, then he doesn't think it's necessary. I read your comment about the wedge shape bars at this point, which makes sense. I've just decided to stick as is. I think I'm just a control freak! Plus I lost my last ring so am now terrified of losing this stone or ring. Thank you for your help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lydial I hadn't even noticed that. It is nice!

@kb1gra yes I bought the diamond from JA. Do you think this one would be better? I didn't get it because it looks like it sits higher.

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.49.png Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.36.png Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.36.26.png

I love this setting! I love the little Vs in the shank that lead up to the oval. The stone sits in a basket so the stone is supported really well plus any
any type of wedding band will sit next to it nicely so eliminates any worries there.

Nicm

Rough_Rock
I love this setting! I love the little Vs in the shank that lead up to the oval. The stone sits in a basket so the stone is supported really well plus any
any type of wedding band will sit next to it nicely so eliminates any worries there.

I almost got this one, but it looks like it could catch on things. I have weird sausage fingers that are the same width right along. I think I lost my last ring by catching it when I've been taking my hands in and out of my pockets on a cold day.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also adore that setting!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I have an oval solitaire from JA with 4 prongs. Its pretty sturdy imo. Love that one!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost got this one, but it looks like it could catch on things. I have weird sausage fingers that are the same width right along. I think I lost my last ring by catching it when I've been taking my hands in and out of my pockets on a cold day.

Get a slim (1.5mm) band in a smaller size that you can place outside of your ering when the weather is cooler and your fingers are slimmer. This
will prevent your looser ering from sliding off. Or, you can also try inexpensive ring guards to help

I've tried this one and it works for me

Have not tired this type

Nicm

Rough_Rock
Get a slim (1.5mm) band in a smaller size that you can place outside of your ering when the weather is cooler and your fingers are slimmer. This
will prevent your looser ering from sliding off. Or, you can also try inexpensive ring guards to help

I've tried this one and it works for me

Have not tired this type

I actually had both types delivered yesterday! Great minds. The spiral is definitely the most comfortable of the two.

I switched to the basket setting yesterday. Thanks everyone for your feedback! I still love the prong style but I know I would be constantly checking it. I know it's all in my head @ThiaChelf and it would be perfectly sturdy like yours!
Plus, I could get an engraving on the basket style, which I couldn't on the prong setting. Hoping if I did lose it again people would be less likely to keep it with an engraving.

@lydial I did see what you were saying about proportions but looks really nice in the photos people posted in the reviews. The band is only 1.5mm so it looks really different when not zoomed in.

@tyty333 @lovedogs Thank you both again for your help on both the stone and setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results