shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prong vs 6 prong?

sarapm1104

Rough_Rock
Trying to choose an engagement ring setting... My mom insists that "you have to have six prongs so that TWO prongs would have to break to let the diamond fall out..." Do you guys agree with that statement? I think some six prongs take away from the diamond somewhat. It's for a 1.15 carat round brilliant. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well my opinion is based on having both four and six prong settings. The four prongs can sometimes give a square look to a stone while the six prong could prohibit a wedding band from sitting flush with the ering because of the prong on the bottom.

I like the six prong for security but for aesthetics I always gravitate toward the four prongs because I am partial to squarish things in general lol

Good luck. :wink2:

sarapm1104

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! Something to think about for sure.

I guess that brings up another question... How frequently do prongs on a ring break? Is this a common enough occurrence that I need to be concerned about the security of the diamond in the setting?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah. I'm just the opposite - squares don't suit me, so I prefer six+ prongs ::)

If your prongs are well-made, your stone is well-set, and you're careful about getting your prongs checked regularly, I don't see any reason to worry about 4 vs. 6 unless your prongs are extremely dainty.
If you go rock climbing in your ring or drop it down the garbage disposal 4 or 6 won't make a whit of difference :bigsmile:

sarapm1104

Rough_Rock
How frequently is "regularly"? Should this be an annual thing? More frequently?

(Clearly I am not a big jewelry person!)

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarapm1104|1375324853|3494256 said:
How frequently is "regularly"? Should this be an annual thing? More frequently?

(Clearly I am not a big jewelry person!)

Thanks!

I would say once a year would be a safe bet - and if you feel your stone turning or hear it rattling get it looked at pronto.
I check mine myself every week and could tighten them myself in a pinch, but I much prefer to let someone who actually does this sort of thing for a living mess around with pieces I care about!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 6 prongs. I don't think prongs breaking off and disappearing happens often. Warped, maybe. Loosened, maybe. But broken off? I highly doubt it.

However, with smaller diamonds, maybe sub 1 carat stones, I think the less prongs the better. More prongs can overwhelm the stone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have had a broken prong happen and a diamond fall out. That was due to a freak accident when I hit my hand on the underside of a table. It was a 4 prong but in an eternity ring with 0.25ct stones, maybe that sort of setting is less stable anyway? I'm pretty sure most prongs will be fine in most everyday wear scenarios!

MaximusCruiser

Shiny_Rock
For me... I like a 6-prong face up as it accentuates the round diamond, but on the side view... I see mostly metal instead of diamond... almost like wearing "claws". For this reason, I will go for 4-prong... as the whole purpose is to see the diamond sparkle. :twirl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I much prefer 6-prong settings to 4-prongs. My husband proposed with a 4-prong engagement ring and I eventually had it changed to a 6-prong head with claw prongs and it looks SO much better in my eyes, it looked too square with the 4-prong head. My stone is smaller than yours at 0.79 ct and the prongs don't overwhelm the stone at all. I think the important thing is that they are done right so that they aren't too bulky.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I think it's personal preference. As you've seen here, we all have different ideas on this question. Me, I'm a six prong girl. My suggestion is to go to a good jewelry store and try on rings with both variations. I bet you'll quickly figure out which you prefer.

Dina2

Rough_Rock
I think with six prongs a diamond's girdle is a bit safer from the probability of it chipping. With six prongs there is "more metal" to protect the girdle; especially if you know you have a super thin girdle! That reason alone is enough for me to always get six prongs for a ring. Now, earrings are a different story. A girdle chipping as an earring would be exceedingly rare, so I'd go with four or three prongs for earrings.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a ring with a 4 prong head and loved the look. I love the sparkle from the girdle of the diamond and just prefer less metal. One day I was unpacking files from a box at work and lost my diamond. The prongs didn't break but they bent enough to let my baby escape. I had the head changed out to a 6 prong after that. It really didn't look as bad as I thought it would. As much as I would like to tell you that a 4 prong is safe, my own experience was different.

Dina2

Rough_Rock
iluvshinythings,

I'm sorry that happened to you! I would have had an upset stomach for days!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Choose whichever you like best! When there are 4 prongs, they are usually a little thicker than when there are 6 prongs. I had a 4 prong setting for years and did not have a problem even when 1 prong was pulled loose. The other prongs held the stone until I realized it. If the prong tips are done well, they certainly do not make the stone look square. I currently have a 6 prong setting and do somewhat think the extra prongs give a little more protection for the girdle when the ring hits something. But it really doesn't matter because jewelry insurance is just essential so that you can wear and enjoy the ring without worrying all the time"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarapm1104|1375322399|3494227 said:
Trying to choose an engagement ring setting... My mom insists that "you have to have six prongs so that TWO prongs would have to break to let the diamond fall out..." Do you guys agree with that statement? I think some six prongs take away from the diamond somewhat. It's for a 1.15 carat round brilliant. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
To give you an idea here's my wife's 1.15ct on a 6 prong setting.

_8431.jpg

dscn0994.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1375359476|3494408 said:
I much prefer 6-prong settings to 4-prongs. My husband proposed with a 4-prong engagement ring and I eventually had it changed to a 6-prong head with claw prongs and it looks SO much better in my eyes, it looked too square with the 4-prong head. My stone is smaller than yours at 0.79 ct and the prongs don't overwhelm the stone at all. I think the important thing is that they are done right so that they aren't too bulky.
Yup! 4 vs 6 prongs. square looking vs round looking.

a193w.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make the choice based on what you like to look at. I prefer to see six or eight prongs on a round stone. I just like the look more. I have two round stones in four-prong settings and will one day get them switched, because I just don't like it as much when the prongs are clustered in the corners. I find that six prongs make the stone look more round and look bigger to me. Some people think they make the stone look smaller, so opinions and visual interpretations vary. I also haven't ever had a problem with six-prong setting sitting flush with a straight band. As long as they all swoop out from a small base, the rings will sit well together.

Yssie|1375325277|3494263 said:
I much prefer to let someone who actually does this sort of thing for a living mess around with pieces I care about!

lol so true. People always say since I take jewelry classes and set stones, I should just do it myself, but there's a huuuuge difference between a silver and garnet ring that I made and my engagement ring. I am going to let the pros deal with the expensive piece, thankyouverymuch.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto. I switched from 4 to 6 prongs too, and it made a big difference. The stone actually looks round now instead of squarish.

MaximusCruiser

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1375384796|3494726 said:

I love the 6-prong look facing up. It is the side view that I tend to have an issue with. Do you happen to have pictures of these rings on a side profile?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MaximusCruiser|1375413020|3495006 said:

I love the 6-prong look facing up. It is the side view that I tend to have an issue with. Do you happen to have pictures of these rings on a side profile?
These are the closest pics I have.

dscn0943b.jpg

yde.jpg

MaximusCruiser

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1375416984|3495033 said:
MaximusCruiser|1375413020|3495006 said:

These are the closest pics I have.

Many thanks! Whichever prong setting... these rings are just GORGEOUS!!

jess719

Shiny_Rock
I had a four prong and switched to a six prong. The four was just a standard four-nothing unique. The six is much more delicate. Oh, and it's a 1.34 on a size 5.5 finger.

img_8692.jpg

img_8723.jpg

MaximusCruiser

Shiny_Rock
jess719|1375418431|3495042 said:
I had a four prong and switched to a six prong. The four was just a standard four-nothing unique. The six is much more delicate. Oh, and it's a 1.34 on a size 5.5 finger.

Nice! Do you find there are too much metal viewed from the side?

I am expecting my 1.6ct four-prong e-ring size 4 early next week. Hope it looks as fantastic as yours, but the prong design is nothing special as well.

Fingers crossed!

jess719

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I don't notice much metal at all! It still sparkles like crazy from the side. I think I actually noticed more with the four because they had to be so thick.

I bet that 1.6 is going to look AMAZING on tiny size 4 finger! I can't wait to see pics!! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring has 4 prongs because it's in a cushion halo, but I prefer 6 prongs on a solitaire. I love the way it accentuates the roundness of the stone. I also think 6 prongs makes the diamond appear larger because it forces the eye all the way around the stone instead of just to the four corners. When done nicely, it should not have a ton of metal showing. My favorite is the Vatche U-113 (Tiffany repro). So timeless and beautiful. :love:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I have a four prong solitaire and I cant wait to get it into a six prong! Like some of the others have said, I find four prongs make my stone look square-ish and bulky because of the additional metal. I love the roundness that six prongs give and think that it makes the stone look larger. I also really like nice delicate prong tips that never seem quite the same in a four prong....though I have seen some beautiful four prong settings done by LM VC and such, but most standard stock four prong settings are just OK to me aesthetically.

Alexandra Newcomb

Rough_Rock
To give you an idea here's my wife's 1.15ct on a 6 prong setting.

_8431.jpg

dscn0994.jpg

Do you have any more photos of the Five Stone band with a solitaire? I'm currently tried to find a good setting for my 1.9 round brilliant to go with my five Stone band. I'm having issues with them rubbing together. Is there a spacer in between the two?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results