shape
carat
color
clarity

4 or 6 prong solitaire setting ?

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
I'm just about ready to place my order with James Allen, but not sure to get a 4 or 6 prong white gold setting for my diamond. I've pretty much settled on a .72 ct round stone. I am concerned with a stone this size that a 6 prong setting might cover up too much of the stone ? How much of a security risk is it to go with a 4 prong setting over the 6 prong. Suggestions and comments please.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Mine's .30ct and 6 prong. Sometimes I think it is overkill but my prongs are very thin and unobtrusive. I am glad for the 6 prong because I bang it on surfaces all the time and I think even with a stone that size it still helps to have more prongs. That said, it just makes me feel safer, 4 prong would probably not be a problem at all. Your size would probably be just fine too. I wouldn't let it influence your decision - I would just be deciding whether you like the look of 4 prong vs 6 prong.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I think for diamonds less 1 ct ,4 prong will look better , some gold rings come with platinum prongs for added safety .

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
To add on jeweln's point, a 4 prong ring can make diamonds of that size look square from a distance. The 6 prongs give it a nice round outline.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My first diamond was a half carat set in a simple four prong solitaire setting. When we later reset it in a new six prong setting I thought the prongs overwhelmed the stone and made it look smaller. Personally I would go with four prongs for a stone that size.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial|1313247678|2990001 said:
My first diamond was a half carat set in a simple four prong solitaire setting. When we later reset it in a new six prong setting I thought the prongs overwhelmed the stone and made it look smaller. Personally I would go with four prongs for a stone that size.

I feel thE same way. I think four prongs show more of the diamond, but it's really your call. My prongs are platinum and I get my setting checked every six months to ensure everything is tight and secure.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1313249349|2990015 said:

I feel thE same way. I think four prongs show more of the diamond, but it's really your call. My prongs are platinum and I get my setting checked every six months to ensure everything is tight and secure.

Sorry for the threadjack...amy, do just take it in to a local jeweler? Did you get yours from a PS vendor? I've had local jewelers not want to check mine, presumably because I'm not a customer.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313251180|2990043 said:
Amys Bling|1313249349|2990015 said:

Sorry for the threadjack...amy, do just take it in to a local jeweler? Did you get yours from a PS vendor? I've had local jewelers not want to check mine, presumably because I'm not a customer.

I bring it to the local place I bought it, but I bought a plain white gold band from a different store and ge not only checked it but also cleaned it.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My .67ct was originally set in six prongs. I liked it fine, but when I reset my stone two years ago for my 20th anniv., I went with an octet, or double prong head. The double prongs are very dainty and do not obstruct the view of my stone, at all. However, on a quick glance the stone can look more like a cushion cut, which I love, but it's a personal preference.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stronly dislike 4 prongs on a round stone, for two reasons: it squares off the stone, and it's less secure. For that reason, I'd go with 6. I don't think 6 prongs will be overkill on a .72 ct at all.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had the 4 prong only half carat, three quarter carat and one carat diamonds. I haven't had any problems with the 4 prongs.

diamante-girl

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I have a .62ct RB ASG 000 ideal cut, G, SI1, HCA 1.0 solitaire. When I made my decision on which setting to choose, I was also going back and forth on whether to go 4 or 6 prongs. :errrr: Since my stone was not too big, I didn't want it to be covered by prongs. I ultimately decided on 6 a prong. Mainly for safety reasons. I wanted the diamond to have 6 prongs to protect it from everyday life, bumps and such. I got my diamond from James Allen and paired it this setting
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/White-Gold-2-1mm-Timeless-Engagement-Ring.html

Since I wanted 18K WG, this setting seemed very dainty, delicate and classic. It had nice elegant prongs and they would look nice and provide the security I wanted. I do not regret it for a minute. My stone looks beautiful, large (due to ideal cut) and very sparkly. I like the round appearance of the stone and prongs. The tips of the prongs are slightly pointed, and I think that makes it look elegant and refined. I look at my prongs with a loop, every now and then, and can see minute scuff marks and dings, which tell me they are doing their job of protecting the stone.

Personally I prefer 6 prongs. It just gives me more peace of mind. I love my ring and have absolutely no regrets going with a 6 prong. :love:

I enclosed some pics and one of what it looks like on my finger with my wedding 1/2 eternity band. I wear a size 4 ring. I hope that this helps. ;))

Screen shot 2011-08-14 at 4.19.08 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-14 at 4.37.42 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-14 at 4.38.46 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-14 at 4.45.01 PM.png

diamante-girl

Rough_Rock
Oooops!!!! Sorry, I meant my solitaire is an AGS not ASG. :loopy: Folks may think there is a new diamond grading lab! :rolleyes:

4ank

Rough_Rock
I went with a 6 prong for a couple of reasons... added security, classic style and the 6 prong accentuates the roundness of the diamond and adding to the significance/meaning of the circle/ring.

As long as it is set right, the prongs shouldn't cover much of the diamond, just gently hold it in place.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I strongly prefer 6 prong for the same reasons as Laila, it keeps the round shape and it more secure. I'd ask for prongs to be thinned as much as possible and if it's a good bench I'd ask for delicate pointy prongs.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Diamante your setting is lovely!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 6-prong setting has 50% more prongs than a 4-prong one.

So, if all other things like prong alloy, shape and thickness were equal, you could argue that a 6-prong setting is 50% more secure than a 4-prong setting.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamante-girl said:
Hi,
I have a .62ct RB ASG 000 ideal cut, G, SI1, HCA 1.0 solitaire. When I made my decision on which setting to choose, I was also going back and forth on whether to go 4 or 6 prongs. :errrr: Since my stone was not too big, I didn't want it to be covered by prongs. I ultimately decided on 6 a prong. Mainly for safety reasons. I wanted the diamond to have 6 prongs to protect it from everyday life, bumps and such. I got my diamond from James Allen and paired it this setting
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/White-Gold-2-1mm-Timeless-Engagement-Ring.html

Since I wanted 18K WG, this setting seemed very dainty, delicate and classic. It had nice elegant prongs and they would look nice and provide the security I wanted. I do not regret it for a minute. My stone looks beautiful, large (due to ideal cut) and very sparkly. I like the round appearance of the stone and prongs. The tips of the prongs are slightly pointed, and I think that makes it look elegant and refined. I look at my prongs with a loop, every now and then, and can see minute scuff marks and dings, which tell me they are doing their job of protecting the stone.

Personally I prefer 6 prongs. It just gives me more peace of mind. I love my ring and have absolutely no regrets going with a 6 prong. :love:

I enclosed some pics and one of what it looks like on my finger with my wedding 1/2 eternity band. I wear a size 4 ring. I hope that this helps. ;))
beautiful set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results