shape
carat
color
clarity

4 options...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to find which of these ideas for a ring would be the most "economical." Which are your favorites? I''m trying to find ones that don''t sit high, are delicate, can look pretty with a smallish carat size (I prefer 1/2 or 5/8 carat. I''d probably even like a 1/3 carat. My finger are long and thin... size 4).

Grrr... I guess I have to do it one at a time... okay... this is option 1.

swirlyring2.jpg

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
This is option 2....

A little less "something different" than my ideal, I think.... But it does sit low...

sideviewxprong.jpg

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Option 3: tension set swirly thing...

tensionswirl.jpg

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Option 4: bezel. With a smaller center stone, though...

shinybezel.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Nifer, go with your ideal! Which is closest to your ideal?

I personally, keeping what you like in mind, prefer #1. I think it's very unique...something not everyone else has. I love the modern look of the bezel with the cool, wavy look of the faux-tension.

I think the entire thing looks awesome!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 and #3 look very reminiscent of each other to me...I like both of those!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for 3!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like #3 as well!!
1.gif

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Well, initially, when we started talking engagement, I liked the bezel. But, after trying a few on, I wasn''t impressed because they seemed so "big" to me. And I have to say that #1 takes my breath away. It has the delicate, simple look I like, and is also sort of traditional, like Paul likes. And well, it looks like a wave curling up over the stone, and that reminds me of the beach, and I ADORE the beach. So, really #1 is my favorite. I''d not mind a similar setting with prongs, rather than a bezel, as long as it sat low. What I''m wondering is if a look similar to that would look okay with a smaller carat size. I have no clue whast size the stone in that particular picture is. What do you guys think? Can a small stone handle a wave look?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 is very pretty.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 reminds me of a Niwaka setting, and I believe those are made with smaller stones usually. I think it would look lovely.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here was the one I was thinking of...and note the diamond size listed...!!
1.gif

niwl1.jpg

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
I think #1 is lovely as well, although I have some questions about how "timeless" it may appear in 10 or 15 years- perhaps will seem very dated by then.

What about #3, perhaps a bit more "classic" while still modern... but have it made with a very, very thin bezel. The (semi)bezel on my e-ring is so very thin it is barely noticeable, it just looks like the stones are floating in air, well, almost!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I like option 1 the best!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Well yay!

I looked at a store this weekend, a local jewelry repair type place, but they do a little making of their own... a friend from work''s aunt owns it and she swears they do nice work. Her ring came from there, and it''s GORGEOUS. So, she told me that to get the swirl setting that I like, in white gold, a narrow, dainty band with a matching wedding band that nestles into it so nicely, would be about 250 dollars. That sounds like a super good deal to me, and white gold is my favorite. :)

The setting she had has prongs, not a bezel, but she said a bezel could be worked in easily enough, if I decide I like it better.

Paul is a teacher, and while he has his Masters, he doesn''t get paid all that well. (I can relate; I''m a social worker and I don''t make much, either. But we love what we do..) So, I''m thinking he should be able to find a .50 carat for not TOO much...

I''ve finally narrowed down to 4 ideas for him... hopefully he''ll know #1 is my favorite. I think it could be the least expensive, too. Maybe. :)

I just want something that sparkles that I can have and think of him each time I glance down at it...

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Sydney...

Do you have a picture or a link to your engagement ring?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I disagree that #1 will look dated after a while. It''s almost the same design as #3...the only difference is the bezel around the stone. While it looks modern, it also has a classic feel that shows timelessness, IMO.

Nifer, I''d go with #1. For $250 in WG, it''s an amazing deal! Will your boyfriend be looking at stones online?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I guess I''m the only one that likes #4, it would definitely be my top choice of the 3!!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
#1 isn''t exactly what I saw at the store, it''s as close as I could find to the "wave" look.

As for where he''d find a diamond, I have no idea. I told him that when I talked to the lady, Bev, at Diamonds-n-Dust (the store my friend at work told me about), she told me they could work with his budget and help him find a diamond through them, if he''d want to go about it that way.

Is online a good option for a man who knows nothing about diamonds?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have another view of #2? I don''t know about the security of the stone in #3. As far a being ''dated'' I''ve seen a few rings like #1 over the past 20 years.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
#2 is a basic solitaire with a lower setting; I think they call it an x prong setting or something like that. I don''t like the high settings, so I used that picture to show the lower look of it. Let me see if I can find a picture from another angle...

xprongspecial.jpg

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Oky Doky, I choose #2. With #1 coming in at a close 2nd. But it''s really up to you and your taste.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
What is a reasonable price for a stone that''s a 1/2 carat? 5/8? 1/3? I''m not a person who''s got to have the best, or the one with a little slip of paper declaring it "ideal." But I do like sparkle and fire and all that, and I don''t want a "crappy" diamond that''s all cloudy or anything... I want my expectations to fit into Paul''s budget.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for #3! Love the tension setting.

Agape

Rough_Rock
I really like #1 as well as the band that someone found to match it. I also agree about the wave beach thing, beautiful. I also wanted a smaller diamond when we looked. We went for the sparkle factor as well. My finger is a 3 and a half, and I have a very small frame. Those 1 carats looked like I was playing dress up with my moms jewerly! These boards will help both of you get lots of sparkle for your buck without overdoing it, pricewise.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
I''ve only been around these forums for like a week, and I''m completely baffled with some of the things I''ve read regarding diamond pricing. It seems like some are so expensive, like 2000 dollars for 1/2 carat? No way; I''d be terrified to wear it anywhere. And, I don''t want Paul to spend, what is it they say, 2 months salary? on a ring?? That''s insane to me.

I guess what I''m asking is what size diamond should I be expecting or hoping for if I don''t want him to spend a whole wad of money?

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Cinderella,

Your puppy is absolutely precious! What a great picture!! That whole curious, "what''d I do?" look is great!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Agape,

What style did you end up choosing for your engagement ring? Do you have a picture?

I think I''m going nuts looking at these rings.... makes me want to finally be able to call him my forever one and only... I hope he chooses something soon!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that link.

I just hope he doesn''t get shafted, or get annoyed with the whole thing and just settle on a standard solitaire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results