shape
carat
color
clarity

4.8 HCA Score on Triple EX GIA Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Today was the first time I tried the HCA tool on Pricescope, and I am very disappointed. The following are the stats on my diamond.

Round Brilliant 6.92-6.95 x 4.28mm
1.25 carat
F color VVS1
excellent polish symmetry cut. no fluorescence, no culet
57% table
61.7% depth
15% crown
44% pavilion
H&A

can someone explain this to me?
8.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2009 12:14:21 AM
Author:ficklefaye
Today was the first time I tried the HCA tool on Pricescope, and I am very disappointed. The following are the stats on my diamond.

Round Brilliant 6.92-6.95 x 4.28mm
1.25 carat
F color VVS1
excellent polish symmetry cut. no fluorescence, no culet
57% table
61.7% depth
15% crown
44% pavilion
H&A

can someone explain this to me?
8.gif
Firstly please take the angles and not the % for crown and pavilion and re-enter them - they are less rounded.

But as to why GIA and I would disagree read this and some of the links to other articles
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-diamond-dock-simple-summary.42538/

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hi garry, thank you for your response. i got the same 4.8 score with the 35 degree crown angle and 41.4 degree pavilion angle. my fiance purchased the diamond and thought he got a great deal because of all the excellent specs. now i''m worried he may have overpaid.

but like you mentioned in a previous post, it was from my fiance, and the score doesn''t make me love my diamond any less.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2009 1:48:26 AM
Author: ficklefaye
hi garry, thank you for your response. i got the same 4.8 score with the 35 degree crown angle and 41.4 degree pavilion angle. my fiance purchased the diamond and thought he got a great deal because of all the excellent specs. now i''m worried he may have overpaid.

but like you mentioned in a previous post, it was from my fiance, and the score doesn''t make me love my diamond any less.
It is not a proportion that I would recomend, but you can at any time for not a huge cost cut 0.5 degrees of the pavilion (only) and still keep the same diameter and stay above 1.20ct which is a critical weight from a value perspective.
This will actually make the stone look a little larger - especially when it is dirty.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi OP, what I''ve read on pricescope is that this is a tool for ruling out diamonds, not for evaluating them. Maybe someone who knows better than me can clarify.

You have a Triple EX GIA diamond, 1.25, F, and VVS1? That sounds like a very beautiful diamond! I would just enjoy it!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Garry and Imdanny. I do love my diamond. I don''t think I will have the diamond cut for sentimental reasons. my FI proposed with just the diamond and he was very proud of his purchase. i think this is just one of those cases when knowing too much isn''t good.
3.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2009 2:39:33 AM
thank you Garry and Imdanny. I do love my diamond. I don''t think I will have the diamond cut for sentimental reasons. my FI proposed with just the diamond and he was very proud of his purchase. i think this is just one of those cases when knowing too much isn''t good.
3.gif
I fully support that decision Faye, perhaps
36.gif
you should not be Fickle

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
haha, unfortunately in my case, it''s the setting i''m fickle about and not the diamond, my diamond has been in two settings and it may be going for a third

Garry, thank you very much for your responses
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 1:48:26 AM

Sounds good Faye, keep your diamond clean to bring out its beauty and wear it well!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
You've all heard of the Golden Rule ...

Well, here's the Diamond Rule:

EVERY diamond beyond the refund period is absolutely the most beautiful and perfect diamond in the world!
2.gif

sazza

Rough_Rock
What really matters is if you love your diamond. Everyone has different tastes and in some ways diamonds are like snowflakes, they are all so different. I know people who don''t prefer the look of my diamond while I am absolutely giddy over it. I wouldn''t take too much stock in numbers if you love your stone, just enjoy it :)

sofi

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 2:39:33 AM
3.gif
How true!! I have a diamond that (to me) looks exceptionally bright and lively. Just for fun I ran the numbers through the HCA tool and got a score of ......................... 8.6! Ouch. But I love they way it looks in spite of its terrible proportions.

Enjoy your ring, it must be a real beauty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin has been doing some excellent recuts lately. If you could do some minor cutting to the pavilion and not hurt the diameter, I''d surely consider making it more perfect! Sounds like a great stone otherwise!

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 7:51:32 AM
Author: Moh 10
You''ve all heard of the Golden Rule ...

Well, here''s the Diamond Rule:

EVERY diamond beyond the refund period is absolutely the most beautiful and perfect diamond in the world!
2.gif

I think that is a GREAT rule!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I feel for you FickleFaye, I went through the same thing.
8.gif
HOWEVER---- and this is the most important part--- I didn''t find the HCA UNTIL I NOTICED my diamond performing poorly and researched on why that would be, since it was a GIA ex/ex/ex. I am a perfectionist and had it recut. I also picked it out myself so I wasn''t overly sentimental. But mine and yours could be totally different, and if you still love the look of your stone and didn''t notice anything wrong with it before you ran it through the HCA, you should forget the numbers and enjoy your beautiful stone.
1.gif
Btw, I can totally see the difference since my recut, but most people can''t, and they think I''m absolutely nuts for having done it. Make sure to keep it clean and you likely won''t ever know the difference!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you everyone for your responses. the perfectionist in me wants to get it recut because of its HCA score, but honestly before i checked, i didn''t notice anything wrong with my diamond and i still don''t
3.gif

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 1:31:37 PM
thank you everyone for your responses. the perfectionist in me wants to get it recut because of its HCA score, but honestly before i checked, i didn't notice anything wrong with my diamond and i still don't
3.gif
then i would see no reason not to keep it as is. we have a diamond that scored poorly on the hca but cannot find any differences when compared to ags0 stones.
congrats and wear it in good health

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results