shape
carat
color
clarity

360 degree image help + CVD or HTPT?

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow diamond enthusiasts!
I am looking for a LGD to replace my .80 real diamond. My ring can only handle 1.4 carats.
Which do you prefer...CVD or HPHT diamonds?
After the angles and the HCA scores are right, is there any way to tell how nice the
overall cut will be from the 360 degree images? I understand that the angles are an "average" so I am wondering if
if there is anything in particular to look for in the 360 images that would indicate a problem with the cut or be a
"predictor" of the "ring of death"? Can you get a "ring of death" if the angles are right?
I ask because I know you can send a diamond back to Clean Origins or
Brilliant Earth ONE TIME ONLY; after that, no more returns so I want to get it right the first time.
Thanks for any help and advice! All suggestions welcomed including diamond recommendations.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
HPHT is usually the safer bet, in my opinion. The only real problems to watch out for are clouding, moderate to severe phosphorescence, and color nuance (the latter two likely being tied together and strictly personal preference).

CVD is fine as long as it is vetted properly to rule out any transparency and light return issues from clouding, excessive stria/graining, and color tinting (the last one also being personal preference).

The chances of R.O.D. can be minimized by sticking to a pretty tight set of proportions and angles, but there is never a zero chance, as depicted in a thread a while back by sledge showing a diamond that had beautiful proportions and angles in paper, but leaked light.

What setting do you have?

Are CO and BE your only viable retailers?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? These might be some options to consider:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If your setting can accommodate a diamond with a 7.2mm spread, then it may be of great benefit to find out if it'll be OK with a mere 0.2mm increase, because here's a 1.53 E VS1 with a GCAL 8X report, if it fits your budget.

Some runner-ups:

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
HPHT is usually the safer bet, in my opinion. The only real problems to watch out for are clouding, moderate to severe phosphorescence, and color nuance (the latter two likely being tied together and strictly personal preference).

CVD is fine as long as it is vetted properly to rule out any transparency and light return issues from clouding, excessive stria/graining, and color tinting (the last one also being personal preference).

The chances of R.O.D. can be minimized by sticking to a pretty tight set of proportions and angles, but there is never a zero chance, as depicted in a thread a while back by sledge showing a diamond that had beautiful proportions and angles in paper, but leaked light.

What setting do you have?

Are CO and BE your only viable retailers?

Hello and thank you for your response! I have a rather large, heavy 14K yellow gold ring with a concave curve. The stone sits in the curve with the leading edge of the stone exposed. It weighs about 8.5-9grams and is rather asymetrical in design. The two sides of the curve are different, one high and the other lower. I think I could get a 7.4mm stone to work, but the goldsmith would prefer 7.3 max because he has to "open the curve" for a bigger stone. Can you suggest the best places to look for a stone besides Brilliant Earth and Clean Origins? Thanks.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
If your setting can accommodate a diamond with a 7.2mm spread, then it may be of great benefit to find out if it'll be OK with a mere 0.2mm increase, because here's a 1.53 E VS1 with a GCAL 8X report, if it fits your budget.

Some runner-ups:

Thanks so much. I will look at the stones you suggest.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? These might be some options to consider:

Hi, Kim. Thanks for your suggestions....I will look at them tomorrow. No one picked anything from BE or Clean Origins....does everyone prefer James Allen and Rare Carat, Adiamor and The Art of Jewels? My budget is up to $4K.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Kim. Thanks for your suggestions....I will look at them tomorrow. No one picked anything from BE or Clean Origins....does everyone prefer James Allen and Rare Carat, Adiamor and The Art of Jewels? My budget is up to $4K.

I wouldn't recommend Brilliant Earth due to the negative reviews I've read about their customer service. And many of the diamonds I found on Clean Origin were CVD with post-growth treatment. Also, a return policy where your second stone is final sale is too limiting IMO.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't recommend Brilliant Earth due to the negative reviews I've read about their customer service. And many of the diamonds I found on Clean Origin were CVD with post-growth treatment. Also, a return policy where your second stone is final sale is too limiting IMO.

Ok....so please tell me the best places to look. I read that HPHT diamonds can have a blueish tint. I prefer a G color...can you get a real G color in a HPHT diamond?. If you up the color to D or E, does the stone look a little too white to be real? Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok....so please tell me the best places to look. I read that HPHT diamonds can have a blueish tint. I prefer a G color...can you get a real G color in a HPHT diamond?. If you up the color to D or E, does the stone look a little too white to be real? Thanks!

IGI E-F (non-blue) would probably be a safe choice for you since they grade color a little looser than GIA. Expect F-H equivalent to GIA.
Not always, but often.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

HPHT diamonds can sometimes have a blue nuance, but you can usually see it in the 360 videos. I agree with DejaWiz, you can probably get a true G color if you get an IGI-graded E-F and check for blue nuance in the video.

James Allen has a good return policy and readily available Ideal-Scope images on their True Hearts line. I love how easy they make it to find a well-cut HPHT diamond.

Adiamor has a good return policy as well and often carries GCAL-graded stones. You can search both their and James Allen's inventories on the PS search engine.

Yadav Jewelry is often very well-priced and I think there's always a coupon available. Their return policy is also very good.

The Art of Jewels has excellent prices and often has a sale going on. They also carry a a lot of GCAL stones. But they allow only one return per customer per year.

EClove

Shiny_Rock

I think I have a similar preference to you - I prefer warmer “colorless” stones and would prefer a warm tint to a blue tint. I ended up with an IGI graded H CVD diamond and the color is perfect for me (also really hard to find HPHT ECs I liked). I can’t see any stria to the naked eye.

Anecdotally I first chose an I stone graded by GIA and it was much warmer to my eye than the IGI H. I could see a lot more tint-definitely saw yellow in some light. In some independent comparisons I’ve come across it seems like IGI grades just as strict or stricter on lab diamonds - but of course I could be wrong.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
IGI E-F (non-blue) would probably be a safe choice for you since they grade color a little looser than GIA. Expect F-H equivalent to GIA.
Not always, but often.

Are you talking IGI E-F in a CVD stone? I did read that IGI G might be a GIA H which is ok with me. Is a HPHT G really a G color? I looked at the beautiful stone you selected rom Art of Jewels, but it looks so cold and grey......I have been looking at CVD videos and there is such a big difference between them and your suggestion....would a G or H in HTPT look the same as a G or H in a CVD stone?

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
HPHT diamonds can sometimes have a blue nuance, but you can usually see it in the 360 videos. I agree with DejaWiz, you can probably get a true G color if you get an IGI-graded E-F and check for blue nuance in the video.

James Allen has a good return policy and readily available Ideal-Scope images on their True Hearts line. I love how easy they make it to find a well-cut HPHT diamond.

Adiamor has a good return policy as well and often carries GCAL-graded stones. You can search both their and James Allen's inventories on the PS search engine.

Yadav Jewelry is often very well-priced and I think there's always a coupon available. Their return policy is also very good.

The Art of Jewels has excellent prices and often has a sale going on. They also carry a a lot of GCAL stones. But they allow only one return per customer per year.

Thanks so very much. I will search your site suggestions.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I think I have a similar preference to you - I prefer warmer “colorless” stones and would prefer a warm tint to a blue tint. I ended up with an IGI graded H CVD diamond and the color is perfect for me (also really hard to find HPHT ECs I liked). I can’t see any stria to the naked eye.

Anecdotally I first chose an I stone graded by GIA and it was much warmer to my eye than the IGI H. I could see a lot more tint-definitely saw yellow in some light. In some independent comparisons I’ve come across it seems like IGI grades just as strict or stricter on lab diamonds - but of course I could be wrong.

Your ring is beautiful ! I read that the strain lines and possible cloudiness can affect the light return, but I guess it is a matter of splitting hairs if the video of the stone looks good.
I am happy to hear that one can trust an IGI report for H color....was your report from a USA lab?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Are you talking IGI E-F in a CVD stone? I did read that IGI G might be a GIA H which is ok with me. Is a HPHT G really a G color? I looked at the beautiful stone you selected rom Art of Jewels, but it looks so cold and grey......I have been looking at CVD videos and there is such a big difference between them and your suggestion....would a G or H in HTPT look the same as a G or H in a CVD stone?

I like where your mind is going to ask such great questions!
IGI E-F, regardless of growth method, is usually safe to assume that it's equivalent to GIA F-H...the color of the tint being separate from the saturation of the color. There are some articles and threads out on the web and even here at PS showing that IGI is either a little off in color grading or is about the same as GIA. I'm going to stick with the consensus of those in the trade and lean towards expecting IGI being a little off in color compared to GIA.

Assessing color/tint/saturation from online photos and videos can be extremely tricky, since there are all sorts of different environments and camera settings used. I would certainly not have any aversion to a GCAL HPHT E color diamond that has no blue tint/nuance.

Hope this helps!

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I like where your mind is going to ask such great questions!
IGI E-F, regardless of growth method, is usually safe to assume that it's equivalent to GIA F-H...the color of the tint being separate from the saturation of the color. There are some articles and threads out on the web and even here at PS showing that IGI is either a little off in color grading or is about the same as GIA. I'm going to stick with the consensus of those in the trade and lean towards expecting IGI being a little off in color compared to GIA.

Assessing color/tint/saturation from online photos and videos can be extremely tricky, since there are all sorts of different environments and camera settings used. I would certainly not have any aversion to a GCAL HPHT E color diamond that has no blue tint/nuance.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again for your response. I have looked at James A and saw nothing at 7.35mm MAX with good specs. My goldsmith is really reluctant to try for a bigger stone since he has to spread open the curve I described before, One other question about videos....can you trust the colored flashes /sparkle and quivering of the facets? I found a stone I like the looks of...shimmers beautifully, but the HCA score was only 2,8 VG,VG.VG....It was hard to believe because the stone looks so good. I
think I could look forever, but at some point, is a stone that looks that good ok?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for your response. I have looked at James A and saw nothing at 7.35mm MAX with good specs. My goldsmith is really reluctant to try for a bigger stone since he has to spread open the curve I described before, One other question about videos....can you trust the colored flashes /sparkle and quivering of the facets? I found a stone I like the looks of...shimmers beautifully, but the HCA score was only 2,8 VG,VG.VG....It was hard to believe because the stone looks so good. I
think I could look forever, but at some point, is a stone that looks that good ok?

Do you know what the following specs are of the diamond?

Pavilion angle
Crown angle
Crown height
Overall depth
Table width
Star facets (may not be listed, especially for IGI)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
From JA, here are some viable candidates to look at and consider.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the photography/videography set-up can make a big difference in how a stone scintillates and sparkles in a video, but it's definitely possible for a stone with 2.8 HCA to be amazing in real life. If you really love it, I'd bring it home and see it with your own eyes.

Is this stone along the lines of what you're looking for? I think it would be around a GIA G-H, and it has excellent light return.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I think the photography/videography set-up can make a big difference in how a stone scintillates and sparkles in a video, but it's definitely possible for a stone with 2.8 HCA to be amazing in real life. If you really love it, I'd bring it home and see it with your own eyes.

Is this stone along the lines of what you're looking for? I think it would be around a GIA G-H, and it has excellent light return.

Thanks for the suggestion...I am going to post or at least try to post some stones later today, I hope you will look at them and weigh in !

4Sophie

Rough_Rock

Thank you. I genuinely appreciate you help . I will post some stones later and I hope you will look at them and offer up your opinion. Thank you !

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
From JA, here are some viable candidates to look at and consider.

I will look at them ,,,,thank you ! I will post some of my finds later and I hope you will give me your opinion!

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
Do you know what the following specs are of the diamond?

Pavilion angle
Crown angle
Crown height
Overall depth
Table width
Star facets (may not be listed, especially for IGI)

I think so...I am looking 33.7-34.9 for crown, 40.6-40.9 for pavilion, 14.5% to 15% crown height, 56 to 57 table and 60.5 to 61.7 for OA depth....I know that there can be some slight adjustments with these numbers because of averaging. That's why I asked about what you could tell in the 360 images about facet alignment in the first place. Please correct me if I am wrong about the numbers. Thanks !

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I genuinely appreciate you help . I will post some stones later and I hope you will look at them and offer up your opinion. Thank you !

I'd be happy to!

I think so...I am looking 33.7-34.9 for crown, 40.6-40.9 for pavilion, 14.5% to 15% crown height, 56 to 57 table and 60.5 to 61.7 for OA depth....I know that there can be some slight adjustments with these numbers because of averaging. That's why I asked about what you could tell in the 360 images about facet alignment in the first place. Please correct me if I am wrong about the numbers. Thanks !

The numbers you're looking for are excellent and should land in HCA <2.

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I'd be happy to!

The numbers you're looking for are excellent and should land in HCA <2.

OK...here are 4 stones I have found. Can't figure out how to attach files...sorry

Ritani sku: D-8LT29S3TC1; 1.42 G, VS1. $2122; no HCA score yet
Adiamor sku: D-49160905 ; 1,41 F, VS2, $2620. HCA 1.1 EX,EX,EX

Adiamor sku: D-49085627; 1.41 G, VVS2 $2829 same stone HCA 2.8 VG,VG,VG
Clean Or.sku: COY3B6QPXU; 1,41 G VVS2 $2569. same stone HcA 2.8
( bad HCA score.... but looks vey nice esp. on Clean Origins site)

Clean Or. sku. CO1FZ6QTO8. 1.51 H VS1 $2926 HCA 1.4 EX,EX,EX (7.35mm MAX)

Sorry I cannot make it easier to search...I am not real sharp on the computer.
Thoughts? Does anyone like any of these? THANK YOU!

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
I will look at them ,,,,thank you ! I will post some of my finds later and I hope you will give me your opinion!

Stones posted to Kim N so I don't have to do them twice...thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Try these ranges:

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9
Crown angle: 34.0-35.0 (up to 35.5 if PA is 40.6)
Table width: 54-57 (up to 58)
Crown height: 14.5-16.0 (this measurement not very critical)
Overall depth: 61-62 (up to 62.5)

4Sophie

Rough_Rock
Try these ranges:

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9
Crown angle: 34.0-35.0 (up to 35.5 if PA is 40.6)
Table width: 54-57 (up to 58)
Crown height: 14.5-16.0 (this measurement not very critical)
Overall depth: 61-62 (up to 62.5)

I will adjust the critical ranges as you suggest...thanks.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...here are 4 stones I have found. Can't figure out how to attach files...sorry

Ritani sku: D-8LT29S3TC1; 1.42 G, VS1. $2122; no HCA score yet
Adiamor sku: D-49160905 ; 1,41 F, VS2, $2620. HCA 1.1 EX,EX,EX

Adiamor sku: D-49085627; 1.41 G, VVS2 $2829 same stone HCA 2.8 VG,VG,VG
Clean Or.sku: COY3B6QPXU; 1,41 G VVS2 $2569. same stone HcA 2.8
( bad HCA score.... but looks vey nice esp. on Clean Origins site)

Clean Or. sku. CO1FZ6QTO8. 1.51 H VS1 $2926 HCA 1.4 EX,EX,EX (7.35mm MAX)

Sorry I cannot make it easier to search...I am not real sharp on the computer.
Thoughts? Does anyone like any of these? THANK YOU!

My favorite of these is CO1FZ6QTO8, but I do see some striation lines in the video. The others lack symmetry in the cut and/or have more obvious striation lines.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results