carat
color
clarity

30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jeweler

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: 30-40k - Jared Galleria / Tiffany & Co. / Carribean Jewe

Nate36bus|1315511143|3012906 said:
Ame, you should earn commission for that last post, because you more than likely sold me on working with MWM, haha.
/quote]
LOL, if only I could get one for a really REALLY reduced rate for the sales pitch!

I know he can work with you on dainty prongs. For the size of the stone you're looking at he will probably advise you not go super thin or dainty only for strength. If you go through GOG that would save a step, since they will work with him directly.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

If you look at Mark Morrell's "The Flame" which is the closest thing I see on his website to the Tiffany setting, the prongs are rounded so they actually have a gap between the edge of the diamond and the prong. If his prongs were straighter along the side of the diamond, hugging the side of it, and eliminating that gap, it would look so much better for me. And if the prongs came to a narrower width towards the crown.

Let's see what happens from here. I'll keep you posted :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

isn't the sunburst closer to the tiffany setting? it also allows more of the diamond's profile to show, the way your girlfriends likes. the prongs on it do sort of stay double-looking right to the tips (and that helps create the heart effect they have from the top) but i wonder if he could modify that for you. that, and adding a knife edge to it. although, he has to be careful that something about it is different from the tiffany setting to protect from copyright infringement.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com//D_P_SunBurst_1.523ct_Sz5_/index.html

also, i swear i read here once that mark used to work for tiffany. you should ask him if that's true!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rainydaze|1315518179|3012995 said:
isn't the sunburst closer to the tiffany setting? it also allows more of the diamond's profile to show, the way your girlfriends likes. the prongs on it do sort of stay double-looking right to the tips (and that helps create the heart effect they have from the top) but i wonder if he could modify that for you. that, and adding a knife edge to it. although, he has to be careful that something about it is different from the tiffany setting to protect from copyright infringement.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com//D_P_SunBurst_1.523ct_Sz5_/index.html

also, i swear i read here once that mark used to work for tiffany. you should ask him if that's true!

I don't know if Mark's rings are all handmade. I know he has CAD ability... someone might want to ask one of these days. Anyway I agree about the quality of his work and the liquid finish... gorgeous.

The sunburst with a knife edge shank would be the closest I think.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the original Sunburst is his closest setting to Tiffany. And it's GORGEOUS.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Hey guys, so I'm still in the searching for diamond stage, and trying to pin point the right setting.

I think the couple issues I'm having is the prong size, and shape. I think Mark's prongs look so much larger than the Tiffany's prongs, because the Tiffany's picture was probably of a 3ct+ diamond, whereas Mark's was a 2ct. or something. Therefore the prongs look larger by comparison. Mark made it clear he is not interested/able to narrow the prongs any.

The other issue is the prong shape when you look at the crown of the diamond. His prongs have that center indentation so when you look at it top down, it has a heart <3 shape. I know my gf likes more of a traditional looking prong like a normal U shape or |_| however to describe it.

Anyway, just an update...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

He can do non-heart shaped prongs. But it does sound like he's not willing to make the wires thinner. If you want sometihng JUST like the Tiffany setting or as close to as is legal, any diamond vendor like GOG can do that. They've made custom ones similar to the real thing. I think Excel has the most accurate one I've ever seen.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315839609|3015765 said:
Hey guys, so I'm still in the searching for diamond stage, and trying to pin point the right setting.

I think the couple issues I'm having is the prong size, and shape. I think Mark's prongs look so much larger than the Tiffany's prongs, because the Tiffany's picture was probably of a 3ct+ diamond, whereas Mark's was a 2ct. or something. Therefore the prongs look larger by comparison. Mark made it clear he is not interested/able to narrow the prongs any.

The other issue is the prong shape when you look at the crown of the diamond. His prongs have that center indentation so when you look at it top down, it has a heart <3 shape. I know my gf likes more of a traditional looking prong like a normal U shape or |_| however to describe it.

Anyway, just an update...
Sounds like MWM isn't going to be able/willing to customize in a way you'd be happy with. Another designer that GOG works with is Vatche. I looked on their website and found a few settings that may fit the bill.

http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,15&startRow=36&id=84 U-113 Classic Six Prong
http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,15&startRow=78 163 Royal Crown Classic

Also, in New York is Leon Mege. I know he has a bad reptuation for attitude/personality, but his work is superb. A solitaire from his site that I LOVE and would probably fit the bill. Create a free account to see all the images. There are three.
http://artofplatinum.com/vault/inde...ge=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
It's r4770 in case the link doesn't work. All his jewelry is handmade and it could be easily customized to have a knife edge.

Keep us posted!

audball

Ideal_Rock

ame|1315840096|3015769 said:
He can do non-heart shaped prongs. But it does sound like he's not willing to make the wires thinner. If you want sometihng JUST like the Tiffany setting or as close to as is legal, any diamond vendor like GOG can do that. They've made custom ones similar to the real thing. I think Excel has the most accurate one I've ever seen.
I think this is the setting ame is referring to. If you click on Enlarge Image there are a ton of extra pictures, and live shots of different size stones on real people. It doesn't look like it has a knife edge though, but something you could ask about.
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Tiffany-Engagement-Rings-640.html

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Something to remember is that prongs and rings in general look MUCH more delicate and teensy weensy in person. I suspect the nuances you are thining about or questioning in the MWM pieces would be lost on you when actually viewing the rings.

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Wow this Leon Mege ring from artofplatinum.com is amazing. That looks exactly like what I think she wants except the knife edge. Those prongs like thinner, and certainly expose a lot of the sides of the diamond. The only problem is that GOG doesn't sell this vendors settings, so it will probably void some warranty coverage from GOG. Not sure how big of a deal this is or not.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

What warranty coverage are you talking about?

GOG will just send it to Leon (or you can bring it to him I think in person), separate transactions. To my knowledge there's no "warranty" on Leon's settings, really on most settings. As far as your buyback policy/30 day return thing, that isn't related to the settings. Once you buy the setting you're stuck with it.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Nate36bus|1315853166|3015897 said:
Wow this Leon Mege ring from artofplatinum.com is amazing. That looks exactly like what I think she wants except the knife edge. Those prongs like thinner, and certainly expose a lot of the sides of the diamond. The only problem is that GOG doesn't sell this vendors settings, so it will probably void some warranty coverage from GOG. Not sure how big of a deal this is or not.
I thought it looked pretty bang on! Leon is a craftsman all on his own. Search his name and you'll find lots of threads about him. If you can handle his personality, his work is AMAZING. Since the only customization you want it to add a knife edge, that shouldn't be a problem.

He doesn't work through GOG, no, but MANY PSers have had GOG stones set with Leon Mege. Years ago it was less of an issue than now because Leon didn't use to source stones. Now that he does, he prefers you to get a stone through him, though GOG is much better at sourcing from what I've seen of other buyers on PS (IMHO).

The one bit of advice I've gotten from other people on the forum is that if you buy a stone from GOG and have Leon set it, do NOT tell him that you purchased the stone from GOG (or any other vendor for that matter). Just tell him that you arleady have a stone, and that you're interested in the setting. I've also heard that he's usually more personable if you go ahead and send him your stone, something abou thim taking you more seriously.

Many people buy stones and settings from different places. Sure, it is more convienent to buy from the same place, one stop shop and all, but it has and can be done differently. Others can probably chime in on insurance, but most I've seen on here is that people purchase a stone only insurance policy from Jewelers Mutual (as long as you are in the US or Candada) to cover the stone during the setting process.

Let us know how you're doing :praise:

audball

Ideal_Rock

ame|1315855458|3015910 said:
What warranty coverage are you talking about?

GOG will just send it to Leon (or you can bring it to him I think in person), separate transactions. To my knowledge there's no "warranty" on Leon's settings, really on most settings. As far as your buyback policy/30 day return thing, that isn't related to the settings. Once you buy the setting you're stuck with it.
Hmph, I took warranty to mean, not warranty, but to cover the stone during setting. Maybe I interepreted wrong - Nate, can you clarify what you mean so we can try to help?

audball

Ideal_Rock

Nate - how are things going?

Nate36bus

Rough_Rock

Hey guys, sorry for the lapse in coverage :) Right now we're still looking for available diamonds and pinpointing the right setting. Not much progress to report yet. Any day though could yield some results. I'll keep you posted!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The long term "perks" often used to entice a sale are actually rarely used by consumers years later. It is pretty safe to offer such extras since only a tiny minority will ever follow all the fine print and actually come for a "perk" at some distant time. I suggest that US consumers buy inside the USA because we have consumer protection laws in place that are very strong compared to outside the USA. With a rather expensvive purchase, a GIA report is the most relied upon report, but few folks have problems with AGS reports either. The GIA report is like an intnationally recognized pedigree although domestially, the AGS report works fine for most parties.

Do a Pricescope search for the kinds of diamonds you are seeking to buy. You'll gain a lot of knowledge about how they are priced in the low mark-up, discount retail arena. Then, if you have a super connection, let them do the same or better for you if you wish. That's the value of comparison shopping.

For me, the best price on a diamond with a proper report works just fine. The perks would not add into the decision, but that is a very ppersonal choice since I know the business. For a consumer, the r7ules regarding use of perks should be completely understood in advance of assuming that they are somehow given for free. Usually, you pay something to get something and if it is free, it may not have a lot of real value or be virtually impossible to collect on when you desire to take advantage of the perk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results